Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:57:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Is there nothing sacred in this world anymore? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there nothing sacred in this world anymore?  (Read 2031 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: February 24, 2005, 03:51:25 PM

Quote from: Reuters
Court deals blow to German beer law
Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:03 PM GMT      

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany's nearly 500-year-old rules guarding the purity of beer have been dealt a blow by a court judgment allowing a small brewer to call its product "beer" even though it contains sugar.

Under Germany's so-called Reinheitsgebot ("purity law") of 1516, only beer made of grains, hops and water without any added ingredients has been allowed to be marketed as such.

But the country's top administrative court ruled on Thursday in favour of Brandenburg-based Klosterbrauerei who had wanted to call a dark brew "beer" on the grounds it was only sweetened with sugar syrup after fermentation.

The judgment ended a 10-year legal battle by the company to call its product beer.
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 04:02:15 PM

I've been a homebrewer for a number of years now, so take my misguided passion over this with a box of salt ... but I loved the German purity law.  I hate that people here in the US can brew whatever filth will ferment and call it "beer".  This verdict crushes my inner child.  Or at least makes me respect German beer a little less.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Is there nothing sacred in this world anymore?  
Jump to: