Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:23:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Puzzle & Dragons 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Puzzle & Dragons  (Read 27266 times)
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

on: February 21, 2013, 05:59:52 AM

Pokemon meets match 3 with free orb/jewel/fruit movement mechanic (lets you move one piece freely displacing others to line up large combos) You get to set up and fight through dungeons with a team of 5 of your monsters plus 1 boorwed from a friend. Match the right orbs to the right element/color of the monster and they do attacks. that is the very basic desciption of this game.

I had a long bit of rambling here, but deleted it as it was just me vomiting praise and industry terms. I'm in awe of this game. It's simple but doing A LOT of things right.
iOS:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puzzle-dragons-english/id563474464?mt=8

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.gungho.padEN&hl=en

Oh, and it's by GungHo, the guys behind Ragnarok Online.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 06:03:10 PM

Is there a site that explains the gameplay (beyond the match three part). I'm confused by a lot of things in the game like:

* Should I invite everybody that I pick to "play" with me and accept all the invites I'm getting or should I be selective in some fashion?

* What happens if I run out of spaces for monsters (card slots)? Do I stop getting drops or do the new ones replace my existing ones (is that what FAV is for)?

* What do the different "abilities" mean like "Enhance Material", "Evo Material", "Attacker", "Technique", etc.

* Related to that I have all these Evo Material monsters but nobody high enough to evolve yet. Is there anything I can do with them now or should I sell them to make room for other monsters?

* What is the RCV attribute?

* My leader is one of those rare level 30s. She flashes a +1 in her portrait. What does that mean?

* Is there a way to judge dungeon difficulty besides how many stamina points they use up?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:30:32 PM

* What happens if I run out of spaces for monsters (card slots)? Do I stop getting drops or do the new ones replace my existing ones (is that what FAV is for)?
Well I just ran into this and the game gives you a chance to sell, fuse, and one more thing I don't remember to make space (evolve?)
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:01:28 PM

Looking in this thread a few days ago turned out to be a really bad idea for my spare time.  Anyhow, answering what I can, sorry to Sirbruce this, but it's easier to answer the questions that way.

Is there a site that explains the gameplay (beyond the match three part). I'm confused by a lot of things in the game like:

* Should I invite everybody that I pick to "play" with me and accept all the invites I'm getting or should I be selective in some fashion?

Just invite everyone as you go, until you get near your limit.  You get pal points for using their monsters every day, which gets you free eggs.  Once you get near the cap, you probably should go through and prune out people who are using absolutely useless pets, and have a better idea of which ones are useful (things like archangels for healing).

* What do the different "abilities" mean like "Enhance Material", "Evo Material", "Attacker", "Technique", etc.

Enhance gives more xp than normal when you eat them to level up your monsters.  
Evo are specifically used to evolve your pets.  Different monsters have different requirements.
The others are just subtypes that certain monsters have leader bonuses towards.

* Related to that I have all these Evo Material monsters but nobody high enough to evolve yet. Is there anything I can do with them now or should I sell them to make room for other monsters?

I'd check out the required monsters for the ones you might evolve, and see if any of them take the ones you have.  If not, you can pretty safely eat or sell those, they aren't too hard to get more of, as far as I've seen so far.

* What is the RCV attribute?

Pretty sure this affects healing received from heal blocks.

* My leader is one of those rare level 30s. She flashes a +1 in her portrait. What does that mean?

It's just bonus stats.  I've only seen it applied to health so far.  You'll see the bonus on their character sheet as like a +20 or something.  Also it appears that you can have one monster eat another enhanced monster to gain the bonus.  I'm not sure if this is 100%, but I've gotten something to +2 that way.

* Is there a way to judge dungeon difficulty besides how many stamina points they use up?

Stamina used isn't even an indicator.  Just have to butt your head against it and see.  So far, after the Tower of Trials or whatever, I could usually take adept tier difficulty for the special dungeons.

Unrelated, but there are also daily type dungeons that drop random useful things.  The weekend one drops a crapload of money, and I found it was best to just spend all my stamina on that for like 40k a run on adept difficulty (20kish on whatever the lowest is).  I've already blown through most of my money on grinding up pet levels, and it's only Monday angry
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 10:03:25 PM by Ard »
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 09:14:43 PM

Gamasutra has a break down of how Puzzle & Dragons works:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/MichailKatkoff/20130225/187247/How_Puzzle__Dragons_Does_It.php

And apparently they are raking in $1-$2 million a day off it.
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 01:53:55 PM

Picked this up earlier in the week after reading the gamasutra article.  It's excellent.  This wiki helps a ton to get going:
http://puzzle-dragons-global.wikia.com/wiki/Puzzle_%26_Dragons_Global_Wiki
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 10:25:54 AM

Just started this the other day...  best piece of advice for a noob I found: 

After the tutorial, where you first use the rare egg machine, you have a very high bonus chance to get a Super Rare Uber-monster.  Basically, most people will recommend that you keep rerolling until you get a level 30 god.  The only way to reroll (I think) is to delete the app then re-download the game.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 11:35:43 AM

Yeah I got a level 30 on my first try. Mine is an Green Alraune. Her Leader Skill is Rondo of Healing which means I get healed anytime Orbs are matched. Basically as long as I don't get one-shotted from max HPs I can't die (I heal back about 75% of my HPs in one basic match 3 move).
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 01:47:13 PM

Yeah I got a level 30 on my first try. Mine is an Green Alraune. Her Leader Skill is Rondo of Healing which means I get healed anytime Orbs are matched. Basically as long as I don't get one-shotted from max HPs I can't die (I heal back about 75% of my HPs in one basic match 3 move).

She's good!  I re-rolled and got a Green Flame Ifrit (high damage lvl 30 dragon, primary red/secondary green, boosts red and green damage) and I got spammed with friend requests...  so I accepted all the ones where they had a level 30 god healer.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 02:54:58 PM

Here's probably the best site for info I've seen.

http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monsterbook.asp
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 09:26:05 AM

Dang, I wish I would have known that at the start!  I got a 3 star Mystic Light Knight that seems pretty crap.  I haven't evo'd him yet though.  I'm finding the adept and the weekly dungeons too difficult still.  I've made up through the volcano and am just leveling all my guys up.

Edit: spellin'
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:31:36 AM by Druzil »
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 04:54:49 PM

Ok so I just pulled Ra outa the rare egg machine, now I can't seem to put him in my team. Anyone know how?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 05:02:12 PM

You don't have enough points for him. Level up or switch some of your other monsters to ones that cost less.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 07:45:09 PM

I'm seriously playing this game way too much, but it is awesome and as overpriced as the gems are, I still have to fight the temptation to buy a few for some extra pulls on the machine. 

Easily the best game though that I've picked up on my phone in quite some time.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 01:34:48 AM

Dang, I wish I would have known that at the start!  I got a 3 star Mystic Light Knight that seems pretty crap.  I haven't evo'd him yet though.  I'm finding the adept and the weekly dungeons too difficult still.  I've made up through the volcano and am just leveling all my guys up.

The mystic knights are some of the most sought-after guys in the game because they can swap orb colors as their special power, which is insanely useful.  He's not crap, he's nearly mandatory for a light element team.  Don't throw him away, whatever you do.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 08:44:39 AM

Good to know.   He's still the weakest guy on my team by far so using his switch to light orbs is generally a bad thing.  I can see though on the right team how the color switching is good.

One thing I've learned is that I have to spend all weekend running the tri-color dungeon for gold, because if I don't I'm out of gold from evo'ing half way through the week.  For some reason that dungeon pays out way more than anything else I have access to.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 01:25:12 PM

That's the point of the tricolor dungeon, it's a cash bonanza.  Each dungeon has a special feature and money is the feature of the tricolors.

And yeah, the mystic knights are of modest value if they're just thrown into a random team, though their stats improve a lot with leveling.  Their value comes from being on a team with other monsters of the same color, at which point their orb swap makes life vastly easier.  There are two main classes of orb swappers, the knights that swap the opposing element, and the attack stance monsters like Titan, Vampire, Highlander, Berserker, and Valkyrie, who swap heart orbs for their color.  If you make a single or dual color team, you're definitely going to want them on it.  Rainbow teams are going to be better off using other monsters.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 04:48:40 AM

Good to know.   He's still the weakest guy on my team by far so using his switch to light orbs is generally a bad thing.  I can see though on the right team how the color switching is good.

One thing I've learned is that I have to spend all weekend running the tri-color dungeon for gold, because if I don't I'm out of gold from evo'ing half way through the week.  For some reason that dungeon pays out way more than anything else I have access to.

Link for you, if you mean regular power uping rather than evoing:  http://puzzleanddragonsforum.com/showthread.php?tid=1098

Basically, just throwing any trash monster drops at a monster you want to level is really, really expensive and low xp return.  You're better off using the trash drops to level an intermediate critter with a good xp return (feed blue goblins to blue penguins) and then always use five on the main critter you want to level as coin cost is determined by the level of what you are trying to power up.  So if you feed the trash drops to other trash drops to level up to level 8 or 9, and then wait until you have five leveled that way before feeding to your knights, it decreases the entire cost of trying to get xp to your mains.

On the weekends, Tower of Giants and Tower of Trials? (the lower level one)  are half stamina cost.  You can chain run the Dragons level in Tower of Giants to rank up and not run out of stamina before your next level up until about rank 90 I hear.

I'm decently along in the game now, but I've reached the point where basically I just need to farm up my last three resist dragons and get a couple critters evolved to their 5 star forms before I can really think about hitting up new dungeons.  Stupid Mystic Masks!
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 08:10:31 AM

After a few restarts I got a Darkness Golem Mk III.  Hilarious counter attack that I have seen wipe out several enemies at once, along with huge hp.  Not a god.  So I used the egg machine and got Hades.  Hades sits on the back bench.

Doing reasonably well, though I can see there will be a frustration point in the medium future. 

How much money do you need to get through a week?  I have 150k.. not sure since I started yesterday.   
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 10:04:08 AM

So after struggling with some of the adept dungeons I finally realized I've been playing this game wrong.  I've been playing like it's bejeweled where I just slide one piece over and make a match.  Now that I'm actually using the whole timer and setting pieces up, things are sooo much easier.

I also switched to an all blue team.  I thought having a team without all 5 colors I'd be wasting orbs, but with the one color team the others just add to the combo and for whatever reason I do WAY more damage even though my pieces are substantially weaker than me using all the 'best of each color' pieces that I'd been leveling.

I'm sure I'd have realized this all earlier if I did any sort of reading up on the game but I've just been kind of having fun with it, not too serious.

Also the trick about leveling the feeders to 10 before you use them to evo is saving me tons of gold, so thanks for that.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 05:46:38 AM

That would work pretty good as long as you have blue jewels to match. That way your whole team is activated, then any other combination is gravy on top of that.

Do you have any monsters that convert things to blue jewels?

Btw anyone know the secret sauce behind upgrading skills?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 07:01:34 AM

That would work pretty good as long as you have blue jewels to match. That way your whole team is activated, then any other combination is gravy on top of that.

Do you have any monsters that convert things to blue jewels?

Actually, there are Mystic Ice Knight drops in game now on the Castle of Satan (regular dungeon) and Castle of Satan in the Abyss (technical dungeon).  All of the Mystic Knights occasionally show up on different levels.  See schedule here:  http://puzzleanddragonsforum.com/showthread.php?tid=4341

Might not be that far into the game, but Castle of Satan is pretty farmable even at lowish ranks.  The other big orb changer is the Berzerker, but that is really hard to get....  basically either magic stone pull or an incredibly hard dungeon called Heroes Descended/Two Heros, which shows up once in a great while.  It was up earlier this week, and had to run it and burn a bunch of stones on continue because I needed Highlander. :(

Btw anyone know the secret sauce behind upgrading skills?

It's a 10% chance to skill up when you feed a creature another creature with the same skill, except when they are running a double chance to skill up event like right now.  So, to level up the Siren skill you could feed her Marine Goblins, which are regular drops on some not that hard dungeons.  Siren is one of the easiest... many others the only possibility is feeding rares.  Many players have been farming the shit out of Castle of Satan to try to farm up their Mystic Knight orb changers.

Although with the rares/Gods, it does reduce the sting if you get multiples that you won't use.  Save for a double skill event and try for a skill up.

Also, going to drop this here because its useful information:  http://puzzleanddragonsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17

Couple of guides on team building, what you can farm that is usable for late game, etc. 

My biggest advice:  you should be getting a few "ripper" or "resist" dragons from the PAL egg machine...  these guys start off with a resist to one element and are called something like "lil <color> dragon".  Besides being necessary for some decent dungeons, they make pretty good farmable team members early to mid game.

They are called "rippers" because their skill is an aoe damage that, fully evolved, does 20k and can wipe out many waves of random creatures even in the tougher dungeons.  "Resist" because, at max evolve, they give 50% damage reduction to their color.

With a few of them, it makes it easy to transition into an "ADK" (Ancient Dragon Knight, fully evolved Mystic Stone Knight) team.  ADK gives 2.5x damage to dragons as a leader skill, and with a helper ADK that is multiplicative so 6.25x damage.  Many, many dungeons can be brute forced with some rippers and an ADK team, though it falls off on the tougher stuff.

To get back to Druzil, a mono-color team in the long run will be stronger with a good leader and good subs...  many of the best leaders give 2x attack and 2x health, which you combo with a friend's 2x attack/2x RCV leader (or vice versa, or combo with a 1.5 to all), to buff your damage, health and ability to recover.  The problem is they are a bit dependent on orb changers and levels, and having a good leader.  Some orb changers are notoriously hard to get (the Highlander/Berzerker that change health to green/blue for instance).

The ADK team is just really easy to get going if you have a MSK as you can just use Rippers which fall out of the PAL machine every once in a while and even the starter dragon leader (which isn't that bad a leader late game with their new ultimate evolves).  They are also FAST, as you can blitz through waves by hitting like a truck in the easier dungeons.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 07:55:59 AM

Heh my head is spinning a little from reading that.

I think I've hit on the better combinations to get through....You need either 1 or 2 things or both if you can.

The resist dragons (Im doing Neptunes Glacier like mad trying to pop a lil blue dragon) to reduce the damage from the particular dungeon you are doing and then a healer monster that heals everytime you match orbs of any colour. That way the amount of damage you do isn't critical as you heal pretty much every turn and you can wear them down.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 11:18:54 AM

If anyone wants an Archangel friend send me a PM with your game ID.  1700 healing every round you make a match will carry you through normal castle of satan.   
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 11:21:19 AM

Blech.  Game corrupted itself somehow on my phone and I'm not about to do this again (especially since I had lost some eggs I had bought).  Just a bit of warning for folks.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 16, 2013, 12:17:36 PM

I think you can get your info restored if you have your friend code.   I took a SS of mine just to be safe.

The all blue team is working great, I have a mystic ice knight for green to blue changes and the siren for red to heal.  I use the rest of the colors for comboing.  Also using the blue noel dragon as my leader now which gives me 2xHP plus I have a few blue noel friends which can get me up over 25k HP.  All that made it easy to clear through the Flare dungeon and start doing the technical dungeons and farming Keepers, so hopefully I can evo all my guys to the next level soon.

I'd like a Hermes but looks like it's PAL egg only, so doubt that will happen unless I get really lucky.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 10:00:57 PM

Blech.  Game corrupted itself somehow on my phone and I'm not about to do this again (especially since I had lost some eggs I had bought).  Just a bit of warning for folks.

They can restore your account for you if you have your nine-digit user ID.  Hopefully you know someone who friended you, or wrote the ID down somewhere.  I backed up the app data a couple weeks ago just to be on the safe side, too.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 01:57:10 PM

If anyone wants an Archangel friend send me a PM with your game ID.  1700 healing every round you make a match will carry you through normal castle of satan.   

Thanks Pezzle. Did exactly that.

What are technical dungeons for exactly?

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 02:52:16 PM

Technical Dungeons are where enemy monsters trigger their skills against your monsters.  Fun things like sealing your monsters ability to attack.

You will also see new monsters like penguins and chimera etc.  They start unlocking after Castle of Satan.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 03:08:22 PM

They can restore your account for you if you have your nine-digit user ID.  Hopefully you know someone who friended you, or wrote the ID down somewhere.  I backed up the app data a couple weeks ago just to be on the safe side, too.

No luck with my old ID, but they may be able to pull things from my record since I had actually bought some stuff.  We'll see I guess what happens.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 05:33:58 AM

Yah, I'm screwed.  No old ID, no restore.

For those curious about what info you probably want to track.

With regard to your inquiry, we would like to conduct investigation based on your report, and would like to take measures as needed if we are able to identify that your lost game data had a history of purchase magic stones.
* We will restore your game data only if your game data was reset.
* We cannot transfer your game data to the substitute device for your device repair.
* Please be informed that game data transfer between iOS and Android is not available due to the system.
* Please be informed that we cannot restore your game data if doesn't have a history of purchase magic stones.

If you agree to above points, kindly provide us the following information so that we can proceed with the restoration of your account.
* We start the investigation after receiving your information, so it might take a few days to a week until we reply to your inquiry.

1. Your ID (The ID before the data was deleted):
* If ID is unknown, we are not able to confirm your game data. Therefore, we are unable to help you out.
2. Your name in puzzle & Dragons (Name before the data deleted):
3. Your in-game rank:
4. Date and time which you played last:
5. Names of monsters registered as your Favorite:
* If you have not registered Favorite monster, please provide us the names of the monsters you often use in dungeons.
6. Information on clearing dungeon (such as “I cleared dungeon on (month & day))
*Any dungeon would be fine. Please tell us as far as you remember.:
7. Screenshot of your purchase history of magic stones, which is of the last time before the data was deleted.
* If possible, kindly attach the photo or screenshot of the said history with the “date of purchase”, “purchased item” and “number of items” that can be clearly seen.
8. Details of the situation, such as “app was automatically deleted while playing the game” or information of changing device, and so on.

【Android】
【1】 Please confirm that purchase processing by checking purchase record.
Log-in to “Google wallet ” on the web(http://wallet.google.com/manage) and check if you can purchase successfully
【2】 Take a screen shot of Google order# in your purchase history and send it to us.
【3】If you cannot login to Google wallet, "Order confirmation mail" sent to google account that you registered can be used to prove also.

Also, please note that if the above information lacks, we might not able to conduct an investigation. Please answer everything to the best of your ability so that we can help you out.

We apologize for the inconvenience and we hope to hear from you soon.

Should you have further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Puzzle & Dragons Support Team
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 11:27:59 AM

I'm running into a pretty solid wall with the tier 3 dungeons, which is awesome, as pretty much all of the beginner guides talk about using pets that are only obtainable after tier 3 dungeons.  I must have a different definition of "beginner" than the guide writers.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Either I can just barely eke out a victory, or I get wiped out on the 4th or 5th wave.  Not sure what to do, other than rebuild my team completely, or spend entirely too much time grinding away at tier 2 so that maybe I can someday get past tier 3.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 18, 2013, 07:12:03 PM

I'm running into a pretty solid wall with the tier 3 dungeons, which is awesome, as pretty much all of the beginner guides talk about using pets that are only obtainable after tier 3 dungeons.  I must have a different definition of "beginner" than the guide writers.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Either I can just barely eke out a victory, or I get wiped out on the 4th or 5th wave.  Not sure what to do, other than rebuild my team completely, or spend entirely too much time grinding away at tier 2 so that maybe I can someday get past tier 3.

Get a friend with something crazy powerful, e.g. a god that doubles your team's color's attack.  Use their leader to carry your team long enough to get your feet under you.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 18, 2013, 07:51:34 PM

I should build a mono team then?
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 12:46:19 AM

Mono-color is extremely powerful, but also extremely hard without the appropriate colored mystic knight.  At this point you can't really get one without accidentally pulling one from the rare egg machine (which would be a terrible result from that one anyhow...).  I'd really need to know more about what decent monsters you have access to for giving suggestions on.

Your best bet is to build a large stable of friends with auto healers, since it sounds like you don't have one though.  That alone might help you muscle through that tier with any half decently leveled build.  Pretty sure I was still using random assortment of dragons at that point.  You're looking for Archangel, Alarune, Siren the Enchanter, or Amaterasu Ohkami.  Avoid people without ones in the max tier with those names, the lower ones do not heal for remotely as much.  Amaterasu is the one exception, you might want to friend anyone that has either version of that, in the hopes that they get around to max evolving it since it's the best healer in the game.    

Oh, related, my id is 375,345,231.  I got extremely lucky and pulled a shiva in one of my first egg pulls, and I just max evolved it the other day, although it still needs a ton of levels.  If anyone wants access to one, poke me.  I'll empty out a few slots on my friend list.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Puzzle & Dragons  
Jump to: