Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:28:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: How can I be self sufficient solo? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How can I be self sufficient solo?  (Read 53410 times)
TheWall
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 08:14:01 PM

Kitsune it used to be that only the person you stole from got kill rights on you. Now its the entire universe.

Sir T attacking a flagged person does not give their corp or gang rights to attack you. If they attack you in any way they will be killed by concord. The only way they get kill rights is if you attack or steal from them. They can repair their buddy but they can't warp scramble or nos you unless you attack them first. You have complete concord protection while you deal with the person who stole from you.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 08:47:07 PM

I used to warp in on missions and try and force respawns to overwhelm the ratter.  It never worked.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 05:10:08 AM

You're suspect.  Anyone can attack you.

If the mission guy shoots you, he gets:

- weapons flag for 1 minute (cannot dock or jump through gates)
- engagement flag with you (15 minutes) - you and he can fight it out without concord

Because he doesn't have a scram, he cannot keep you in the area to kill you, so you CAN warp out, dock, change ship to something that will kill him, and come back. 

His ship is expensive, so he has to leave the mission area and change ships to a PVP one, BUT he has a 1 minute weapons lock that prevents him from docking as fast as you, and, being a PVE guy, probably does NOT have a PVP ship in a station in the system, or safespots to wait out the 1 minute weapons flag timer.  Basically, he's fighting on YOUR terms because he doesn't have the logistics there, and you possibly do.

If the guy is not in the final stage of the mission or exploration area, it's unlikely he will attack you.  He won't want to abort his mission to possibly kill a frigate.  If you go for the final overseer container or whatever completes the mission, he may attack.
TheWall
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 05:18:25 AM

I'll try that.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 05, 2013, 11:37:21 AM

Its possible he was just using the logistics ship to rep himself and using the Nosferatus from the bait ship, but that's the way I remember it happening. The bait ship definatly scrammed me, and he was using the log ship to rep himself and I was getting Nosed or Neuted. I could have tanked him forever without the Nossing, and I doubt he could have been able to mount enough nos to shut me down and guns to kill me on a t1 cruiser.

Hic sunt dracones.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: March 05, 2013, 11:43:25 AM

His ship is expensive,

This may be the key. If you play as a mission runner in Empire, your long-term goal may well be to make your ship as effective at PVE as possible so you can complete those missions faster and faster. That means fitting faction mods and, if and when you can afford it, officer mods (which are obtained by people in 0.0 who would never dream of actually using them in 0.0 - they sell them in Jita).

So the mission runner's ship can be worth billions. If the player doesn't have billions, it may still be worth a very large proportion of whatever capital they have.

So they may be unlikely to put their ship in even the tiniest bit of danger just to stop you looting their wrecks.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 05, 2013, 12:28:14 PM

You're suspect.  Anyone can attack you.

If the mission guy shoots you, he gets:

- weapons flag for 1 minute (cannot dock or jump through gates)
- engagement flag with you (15 minutes) - you and he can fight it out without concord

Because he doesn't have a scram, he cannot keep you in the area to kill you, so you CAN warp out, dock, change ship to something that will kill him, and come back. 

His ship is expensive, so he has to leave the mission area and change ships to a PVP one, BUT he has a 1 minute weapons lock that prevents him from docking as fast as you, and, being a PVE guy, probably does NOT have a PVP ship in a station in the system, or safespots to wait out the 1 minute weapons flag timer.  Basically, he's fighting on YOUR terms because he doesn't have the logistics there, and you possibly do.

If the guy is not in the final stage of the mission or exploration area, it's unlikely he will attack you.  He won't want to abort his mission to possibly kill a frigate.  If you go for the final overseer container or whatever completes the mission, he may attack.

In that situation I'd go afk for an hour. The mission will not reset till downtime so why bother fighting you?

Hic sunt dracones.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: March 05, 2013, 12:52:00 PM

Mission runners and miners are used to people fucking with their cans and shit, it's just a 'cost' of doing those activities sometimes. Unless you are constantly harassing the same person, no one is going to have a counter-gank group just hanging around in case someone maybe scans out their mission or whatever.

Like for every mission someone fucks with you in, you can do another 100 without seeing another soul.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 05, 2013, 01:32:12 PM

Damn it.  Y'all are making me miss my Rifter.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 05, 2013, 01:34:19 PM

The mission will not reset till downtime so why bother fighting you?

Because ~my ISK/hour~
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 02:11:42 PM

I don't recall someone actually losing a ship because of killrights...

Quote from: corp jabber
[23:32]   collatinus_vedius: lawl, we lost half our dps to kill rights

That didn't take long.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 04:44:07 PM

I'm surprised it actually took people that long to realize how that shit worked. I saw that writing on the wall (and called CCP out on it, to deafening silence on their part) months before it was even on the test server. vOv

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 07, 2013, 05:36:24 PM

If CCP wanted this shit done and dusted they could have done it easilly by simply making it impossible to steal from other peoples cans. There, done and dusted, no killrights shit. But they actually want griefing so you have this idiot system that no-one actually knows the rules for and just cases nothing but smashed monitors.

Hic sunt dracones.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 07, 2013, 06:02:16 PM

Eh? The rules are simple. You steal something, everyone can shoot you. You shoot someone in hisec or a pod in lowsec (shoot, not kill, mind you), everyone can shoot you and you've generated a killright which can be transferred to specific people/corps or set as a publically available killright, and activating it makes it so everyone can shoot you.

vOv

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 07:08:24 PM

And how does that apply to gangs, corps, retaliation, etc?

And did you know that if you take from the wreck of your corpmate who died to a grief-er you are immediately redflagged to the griefer as the wreck is considered his property despite being white to you? And dont think about shooting up his wreck to stop the griefer getting the loot, as you will be concordokkened.

And what happens when someone steals ore from your mining operation? Is your hulk supposed to take on the rest of the enemy gang that will appear to blow you up if you so much as blink at him?

Its these fuzzy little details that make empire dwelling an absolute pain in the ass.

Hic sunt dracones.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 11:55:25 PM

Actually, last I checked the instant someone goes suspect their shit is wide open for everyone, including shooting the wreck of the ship he blew up. And "when someone steals ore from your mining operation", well, they're stealing something from someone, and is now a suspect.

If you rep someone who's a suspect, iirc you're made into a suspect yourself. Etc etc etc.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 08, 2013, 06:24:54 AM

That's your idea of simple???  ACK!

Hic sunt dracones.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 08, 2013, 06:37:49 AM

"do anything mischievous or aid anyone doing anything mischievous and everyone else can shoot at you" is the general gist. I'd call that a lot simpler than back when you were playing.

TheWall
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 11, 2013, 12:40:57 PM

Took me a bit to figure out I had to put my safety on yellow before I could loot someone else's wreck. I'm guessing I have to move it to red if I want to outright suicide gank someone.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 12, 2013, 09:56:34 AM

I am trying Factional Warfare to see how this "Shoot bitches, get LP" thing works as a way to have fun for profit, and it's boring as hell. So far I've sat on beacons refreshing my directional scanner _begging_ for someone to come stop me.

If you have a game mechanic where the only change of pace is your screensaver you should throw it in the trash.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 12, 2013, 01:35:43 PM

That's weird, my FW experience involved having to watch dscan like a hawk because people were only too happy to try to warp in and shoot the fuck out of my mostly helpless industrial alt.  Maybe you need to find a more active system.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 13, 2013, 02:59:36 AM

That's the thing. You already spent time capturing that plex, so leaving seems like a waste, especially since you don't want the system to fall (why? I don't even know). I did manage to get a solo fight eventually as I finally found some other dudes staring at a dumb timer and got into a fleet fight later on. The competency of FW players seems pretty low, but since fights center around frigates and sometimes cruisers it's not that relevant.

When I returned to the staging station I had a cargo hold full of loot that was worth more than my destroyer. Thanks, bomber who didn't warp out even though you burned out of my point range. Stack that with the LP you get I could say that a good PvPer can make money and profit doing FW, double so if in a group. If you add the fact that FW missions are exploitable a person intimidated by 0.0 can probably be self sufficient barring losing ships left and right.

Personally I was bored out of my mind most of the time though. Yet I wouldn't mind seeing the FW mechanic used in 0.0, maybe in NPC space using pirate factions as militia.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 13, 2013, 04:24:49 AM

I agree it might give the 0.0 crowd something to do other than stare at POS's all day. But the alliances would probably blob whatever Faction warfare uses with Titans or something.

Hic sunt dracones.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 13, 2013, 06:40:58 AM

Most of the plexes have ship restrictions.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 14, 2013, 03:23:35 AM

I agree it might give the 0.0 crowd something to do other than stare at POS's all day. But the alliances would probably blob whatever Faction warfare uses with Titans or something.
Nulli Secunda did FW for a while, apparently they got pistolwhipped back out of FW within a few months.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 14, 2013, 12:26:35 PM

Yeah, one of BOB's corps tried Faction warfare and got thrashed back in the day.

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: March 16, 2013, 02:58:16 AM

Basically you have to theorycraft fleet comp from scratch again; and unless you are genuinely motivated by lolrpfactionpride it would be tough to keep anyone paying attention long enough.

I'm sure the FW guys are no worse than the 0.0 guys. But they are certainly more motivated.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 16, 2013, 03:19:16 AM

I'm sure the FW guys are no worse than the 0.0 guys. But they are certainly more motivated.

You're ambiguous. No worse in what way? Motivated towards what?

All I see Fweddit fly is destroyers and frigates, always in a small gang capacity. Someone once in a while tells a tall tale of people flying battleships during US timezone. Someone might mention a titan-fund, which realistically won't even make it into the potential theft stage.
TheWall
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 19, 2013, 08:19:32 AM

How much are you giving up when you do a level 4 mission and ignore the loot and salvage? I keep finding people who are just giving this stuff away. Does the bounty and mission reward pay out so well that it's better money to just chain missions back to back?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 19, 2013, 08:53:49 AM

Probably.  Risking their lovely little ship that can handle T4 to smack a pirating frigate probably is another reason.  I know I'd be loathe to risk the battleship I was given doing so.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 19, 2013, 09:14:41 AM

A lot of the time is actually more profitable to just recycle the loot into minerals and sell them. That's a major source of minerals in empire, particularly the higher end stuff. On its own most of the loot has very little intrinsic value as a result of several nerfs to the quality of mission loot due to people in 0.0 whining.

Hic sunt dracones.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 19, 2013, 01:30:57 PM

It was pretty stupid when named mods refined into double the amount of minerals as unnamed.

Not that mining is ever worth spending time on unless you're botting or there's a high risk of getting beaten by your Chinese prison guards.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 19, 2013, 03:26:11 PM

Eh? I dunno where you got that from but that was never the case from what I remember.

And I had some great times mining. There's nothing like mining to have fun chatting and socializing. Plus its like setting up a complex in X3, there's a weird sense of accomplishment.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:32:04 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #68 on: June 22, 2013, 10:52:58 PM

You're ambiguous. No worse in what way? Motivated towards what?

All I see Fweddit fly is destroyers and frigates, always in a small gang capacity. Someone once in a while tells a tall tale of people flying battleships during US timezone. Someone might mention a titan-fund, which realistically won't even make it into the potential theft stage.

I know this is old, but thought I'd give some new info. FWEDDIT has a tonne of cash, and recently joined the CFC (Goons and others, of which Bat Country is a signatory) in the holy war against the MRA/Paedophiles of TEST Alliance. FWEDDIT can actually field pretty mean fleets, they just didn't have to in FW.

Oh, and hi F13. It's been a long time. I've missed you, you little scamp.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Aiwass
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 29, 2013, 05:36:12 AM

As a solo player is it possible for me to fund two accounts with PLEX as well as any empire wars I want to declare? If so will I be stuck mining and mission running for hours and hours?

I'm not sure what the economy is like now since it has been so long. Thanks for the advice.

Low sec exploration will net you an absurd amount of isk (especially so because it doesn't require a massive upfront investment in isk/sp). Get a probing ship and a tengu, head to lowsec guristas space and keep an eye out for any of the rated DED plexes. The 6/10 can be completed solo. in about 20-30 mins and has the potential to drop 2b. All of the Pithum a-b-c type mods drop there. The 4/10 also spawns in high sec and can drop around 500m it can also be done easily in a AF or cruiser (gate wont allow t3 inside it any more). Guristas have the easiest plexes (EW is almost nonexistent and there is not a single ship that scrambles) that have the highest potential for huge isk. Plexes in null (barring very few outliers) produce less isk.

But with the most recent update to probing has brought a lot of competition. Good thing is beyond probing/exploring you only have to pay total attention for small periods of time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: How can I be self sufficient solo?  
Jump to: