Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:37:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Americans. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Americans.  (Read 23840 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

on: January 30, 2013, 09:26:22 PM

Another FX original. Seriously, with this, Archer and Justified, FX is absolutely killing it right now.

Tense period piece, set in DC in 1981 about deep cover Russian spies. This shit is good.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:32:38 AM

Interesting episode although I have to say the training technique of letting the commander sexually abuse their cadets seems a really really really really really bad idea when those cadets are being trained for deep cover infiltration. That is a really awesome way of creating double agents.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:16:41 AM

The theory behind it would be to de-romanticize sex, deliberately create the kind of detachment normally associated with prostitutes and strippers; They use sex as a way to get what they want, not as an expression of emotion or intimacy.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:55:28 AM

Hay, we haven't had a good Fear the Commies/Russians show in a while.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 08:23:21 PM

But that's the best part. It doesn't paint them as the bad guys. For the first time ever in her career, I haven't wanted to stab Felicity in the face with a fork.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 08:25:31 PM

Funny, because I actually liked the show Felicity. JJ Abrams did a tolerable job there. Was certainly better than Dawson's Creek or Party of Motherfucking Five.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:04:33 PM

Hated Felicity, Dawson's and Five. Didn't give a shit about JJ 'til Lost and then that went to suckville.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 03:51:07 AM

Maybe Lost is better if you watch it all at once (as I recently have).  The last season's "flash sideways" was a little annoying, it probably would have been better if they had just wound everything up in the previous season.  But if you're not judging it as the payoff for 7 years of loyal viewing, it's pretty good.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 10:52:32 PM

I thought this show was really well done.  I'm hooked.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 08:13:11 AM

Hated Felicity, Dawson's and Five. Didn't give a shit about JJ 'til Lost and then that went to suckville.

Lost going to shit had nothing to do with JJ, really. He created the show, helped write the first episode and directed said first episode. After that, it was all Lindelof/Cuse, with Abrams' Bad Robot being the production company.

beer geek.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 12:57:07 PM

I thought this would be terrible and watched it only because of this thread. Very impressed. I'm going to be reliving an entire decade of atrocious earworms though. Damn Juice Newton to hell.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 06:12:07 PM

It's on On Demand so I watched it tonight.  Even I liked it and I hardly ever mostly don't like anything.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 10:50:23 PM

This show is really good. Watch it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 06:29:54 AM

Damn Juice Newton to hell.

And just reading this was enough to start it up again in my head, thanks.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 12:00:00 AM

I'm really enjoying this show.

And yeah, "Queen of Hearts", "Tusk" etc.  All stuck in my head now.  ACK!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:04:50 AM by Ozzu »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 12:27:54 AM

Really good Roxy Music toon to close out this week's episode as well.  I like how they are treating the early 80s as still culturally the 70s which is far more accurate and contrary to how most stupid tv shows would do it.

-H.L. Mencken
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 07:13:00 AM

Really good Roxy Music toon to close out this week's episode as well.  I like how they are treating the early 80s as still culturally the 70s which is far more accurate and contrary to how most stupid tv shows would do it.

Yup they are doing a pretty good job with it seeing as the time period is I believe 1981 so still mostly 70s influances with just the start of the whole malls and other 80s stuff.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 08:58:32 PM

Another solid episode.  They renewed it for a second season so it won't be yanked out for under us like other decent dramas.

They are running all of the episodes next Friday (the 1st) if you want to DVR them all and get caught up.

-H.L. Mencken
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 04:53:00 AM

Finally watched the pilot last night and thought it very well done while at the same time thinking them two seriously despicable human beings for the danger they're putting their children in. Never mind the deception. I guess it's the new father in me. I had a hard time watching it. Mine's 20 months old and I couldn't imagine doing something like that. They're psychopaths. I also don't care for the actor they've got playing the husband. Something about him makes him not fit in the role for me. I can't put my finger on it. Keri Russell, though, is fantastic. Not entirely sure I'm going to keep watching it. It's good, though.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 06:13:46 AM

Finally watched the pilot last night and thought it very well done while at the same time thinking them two seriously despicable human beings for the danger they're putting their children in. Never mind the deception. I guess it's the new father in me. I had a hard time watching it. Mine's 20 months old and I couldn't imagine doing something like that. They're psychopaths. I also don't care for the actor they've got playing the husband. Something about him makes him not fit in the role for me. I can't put my finger on it. Keri Russell, though, is fantastic. Not entirely sure I'm going to keep watching it. It's good, though.

That is why moles were encouraged to have children. People would suspect a couple with no children much more than one who had them. And in theory if you can indoctrinate your kids the second generation makes the perfect spies since they are US citizens.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 07:15:52 AM

That is why moles were encouraged to have children. People would suspect a couple with no children much more than one who had them. And in theory if you can indoctrinate your kids the second generation makes the perfect spies since they are US citizens.

Oh, I completely understand why. Doesn't make it any easier to watch for me.

Once again, show's great. It was just hard for me to watch.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 08:07:18 AM

Solid show, so far. I very much like the acting of both leads.

(I could not enjoy gritty TV shows or movies until after both of my kids were in school. Don't fight nature; take a 5 year vacation from them.  I jumped back in from my time off by watching The Shield (only after the kids were in bed, with the episodes locked on the TiVo so they couldn't happen upon it).)
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 03:48:14 AM

This thing is still really good. I'd say this last episode was the best one yet.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 06:46:30 PM

This thing is still really good. I'd say this last episode was the best one yet.

Yep, the interplay between the two leads is close to perfect. So many possible threads and subplots!  awesome, for real
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 06:53:52 PM

Russell beating the shit out of Mags.  awesome, for real

-H.L. Mencken
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 07:49:12 AM

Russell beating the shit out of Mags.  awesome, for real

Latest episode is amazing.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 07:15:42 PM

"I'm sorry I didn't kill you, that's my apology."

"Better luck next time..."

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 08:43:50 PM

Plus hot Russian ass!

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 09:23:22 AM

Just caught up with this show thanks to Xfinity's Watchathon shit last week. This is a really good show with one significant problem. Every week it seems like we have to spend time on a will-they-won't-they plot point about their relationship. One week they are in love, the next week they are barely civil other some other imagined slight. Now I do believe people in that sort of situation would have moments like these but it starts to get old hat week in week out of the same kind of doe-eyed bullshit.

Other than that, the show is fantastic. Also, Nina is smoking the inside of my skull HAWT.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 09:51:12 AM

I really don't get what set the "wife" off about her husband sleeping with his old fling. It was in the "line of duty" and both of them are sleeping with other people pretty consistantly I am not sure whey he bothered to try to hide it and I am not sure why she was so flipped out about it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 10:15:14 AM

It wasn't "in the line of duty," as in it wasn't something he had to do for the mission. Also, old flames always tend to piss off the wives. Also, he lied about it right after promising to be truthful. That's a pretty bad idea.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 12:37:07 PM

Actually it was they black mailed the polish guy because he raped and beat that woman. The hot sex they had because otherwise all they had on him was some bruises on her. So maybe it was a bit above and beyond due to him being an old fling but it furthered their goal of blackmailing the polish guy.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 01:32:09 PM

It wasn't the sex, it was the lie. If she can't even trust her pretend/for-real spy husband, then what the fuck is she to anyone else? That's what sent her off the edge a bit there.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 12:46:04 AM

Still trucking along. Just solid episode after solid episode.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #34 on: April 26, 2013, 08:34:20 AM

So I have been watching vie iTunes one my train ride home.  This show is really great.  Keri Russell is so hot and so tough and so conflicted and so...she is fantastic. 

I have never played WoW.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Americans.  
Jump to: