Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:55:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: And there was much rejoicing: La-Mulana finally coming to Steam 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: And there was much rejoicing: La-Mulana finally coming to Steam  (Read 3885 times)
Scold
Terracotta Army

on: January 21, 2013, 08:38:24 PM

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93001822

The difficulty level of the WiiWare/PC remake is a bit wimpy compared to the original release, but it's still pretty robust and arguably the single greatest Metroidvania ever made, with a lot of quality-of-life upgrades (and greatly improved/expanded boss battles) in addition to the new coat of graphical paint. This fills in one of the largest gaps in Steam's serious gaming library, and if we're lucky owning a GOG.com copy will get a free Steam activation. :)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:45:11 PM

I've never heard of this but I'm a big fan of Metroidvanias so I'll have to grab it once it drops.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 08:50:00 PM

I've never heard of this but I'm a big fan of Metroidvanias so I'll have to grab it once it drops.

Here's a pretty good review: http://www.destructoid.com/la-mulana-remake--232174.phtml

The remake, the version that will be on Steam, is perhaps "Dark Souls" hard, with the exception of the entirely optional Hell Temple challenge, which is at least an order of magnitude tougher than I Want To Be The Guy. The original 2005 release version wouldn't let you save the game until you acquired an item that granted you game-save power, and if you died before that point you'd be back at the very beginning.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:52:41 PM by Scold »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 08:50:44 PM

serious gaming library
Don't knock your beret askew or anything.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:56:04 PM

serious gaming library
Don't knock your beret askew or anything.

Like, Battlefield 3 is technically a 'gap' in Steam's library but it's not like we're missing out. Happy to go with another term that makes the same distinction.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 08:58:09 PM

Sky just gets testy in the winter months. Cabin fever.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 08:59:03 PM

Here's a pretty good review: http://www.destructoid.com/la-mulana-remake--232174.phtml

The remake, the version that will be on Steam, is perhaps "Dark Souls" hard, with the exception of the entirely optional Hell Temple challenge, which is at least an order of magnitude tougher than I Want To Be The Guy. The original 2005 release version wouldn't let you save the game until you acquired an item that granted you game-save power, and if you died before that point you'd be back at the very beginning.
Sounds good; I just hope it's got controller support since I'm awful at platforming with a kb+m.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 09:13:27 PM

Sounds good; I just hope it's got controller support since I'm awful at platforming with a kb+m.

Mouse isn't used for anything. During general gameplay, you're using the arrow keys for movement, Z for jump, X for primary attack, C for secondary attack, and V for your environmental scanner, with Q and A cycling through your primary weapons, W and S cycling through your secondary weapons, and the F1-F9 keys accessing various programs you may have loaded into your personal exploration computer (you can find dozens of different programs throughout the ruins). Assuming you had a gamepad with four buttons for the row Z through V, and maybe one trigger cycling primary weapons and one cycling secondary weapons, a controller seems doable, though I'm not sure how you'd handle the F1-F9 menus (all of which pause the game). That may be something they address when they make it Steam-compatible.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 03:17:04 PM

GOG has had this for a while. Is it the same version but with Steam bells and whistles? (achievements and so forth)

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 03:35:17 PM

GOG has had this for a while. Is it the same version but with Steam bells and whistles? (achievements and so forth)

Yep.

BTW regarding controllers: I'm an idiot. It was originally for wiiware before the PC release, so it's gotta be controller-compatible.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: And there was much rejoicing: La-Mulana finally coming to Steam  
Jump to: