Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:11:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Pro Play and Celebrity Gossip 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pro Play and Celebrity Gossip  (Read 176051 times)
ezrast
Terracotta Army

on: January 18, 2013, 08:27:14 AM

I figure those of us who follow the scene could use a place to chatter about the latest goings-on, and the IEM Katowice games are motivating me to finally start this thread. They've been pretty good so far, as you might expect from a non-US tournament. I'm not familiar with Meet Your Maker, but they're already after my heart for trouncing Curse (my favorite NA team, but that's not saying much) with jungle Kayle. Curse looks like they're coming back in their game with Gambit as I type this, despite their weak start against Gambit swapping their ADC and support into mid--a strategy I've been thinking about for a long time but have never seen until now.

One thing I could really stand to see less of is MF in bottom lane (or whatever lane they swap to) every tournament game. I thought she was underrated in S2 but really don't consider her to be must-pick material, either. I feel like pretty soon people are going to remember Kog'maw exists and that often it's better to melt a single target rather than trying to debuff and kill the entire enemy team at once.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 08:28:59 AM by ezrast »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:44:37 AM

The Gambit Gaming strat of moving ADC/sup to mid is something I saw WE do when iG put together a Lee Sin/Panth(support) botlane to shut down Weixaio.  Instead WE sent Misaya bot for the 2v1.   It didn't work out in that case either, although Gambit did better with it. 

CRS beats Gambit with Rhux playing for Nyjacky.   ACK!

-Rasix
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 09:07:08 AM

There's a big part of me that is secretly hoping that Pluto goes on a bender and promotes Rhux to AP permanently so that Nyjacky can get poached by a stable team that actually supports his potential. He's one of the only reasons I have left to care about the US scene at all.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 10:17:10 AM

I almost started a thread like this a few weeks back.

If I can say, Go Team Marn!

Regarding Miss Fortune: Her ult is really high quality, and her q is amazing early game harass.  She isn't the best adc late late game, but she is a very strong pick in all phases.   Problem with Kog'maw (and Vayne to an extent) is their early games are weak and given that people are coming up with stronger early game compositions, sometimes relying on hyper-carrying isn't viable.  Still, the meta for season 3 is basically in its infancy, the beginning and end of season 2 were pretty different, so I'll be interested to see where season 3 goes.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 01:39:07 PM

I didn't watch the qualifiers too intently last weekend, but I caught the last couple matches with Marn and they really impressed me.  They seem to be able to adapt quickly.  Plus, well, Urgot.  I heart Urgot.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 03:49:22 PM

I'm not familiar with Meet Your Maker, but they're already after my heart for trouncing Curse (my favorite NA team, but that's not saying much) with jungle Kayle.

The first time I saw them was in the December tournament in Cologne, and I gotta say, they weren't the most skilled players in that tournament individually, but I love whoever was calling their plays.  Don't know much about them,  but I'll be rooting for them here.

Still pissed that Epik got iced on day one of the qualifiers, tho. 
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 10:13:03 PM

People take MF because Black Cleaver procs on any physical damage, which means her ult armor shreds the entire enemy team. Same thing with Wukong.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 10:03:30 AM

People take MF because Black Cleaver procs on any physical damage, which means her ult armor shreds the entire enemy team. Same thing with Wukong.
The fuck. I did not know this.  ACK!

Also.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 10:39:17 AM

The ending of SK vs. FN.RC.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 12:17:27 PM

The ending of SK vs. FN.RC.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Oh, holy shit, you're not kidding, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdN67NuhMW4
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 09:29:50 PM

Also.  awesome, for real

S3 introduced a lot of items that not so hot on most champions and kind of broken on a few. (Muramana and Ryze being the best example probably) Black Cleaver procs on any physical damage, so any multi-hit attacks or physical damage-over-time attacks are pretty busted with it. MF and Wukong can both abuse it to hit the entire enemy team and shred all their armor, Garen spinning and winning is also good, etc. I'm more scared of Wu than MF typically. MF ult does big damage and shreds armor but then she is still MF with bad range and no escapes. Wukong can CC your entire team, shred all your armor, then is tanky enough to stick around and do damage afterwards.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 02:49:26 AM

Also.  awesome, for real

Also because she has always been very strong, but the ability to get Clever and LW and have her ult essentially do true damage brought her up from a "very good AoE ADC" to "really amazingly powerful in a team fight"

Don't buy Muramana for Ryze, get Seraphs Embrace (then get the Muramana later, once the muramana/seraphs has been completed you can stack another tear), it does more damage on him and gives him more defense.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 08:16:46 AM

Gambit vs AZF game 1 started out slow but wound up incredibly tense, with Gambit's entirely AD team struggling to claw through some of the heaviest defensive builds I've ever seen on Frost. Cringe of the day: Amumu's grab ruining what would have been a perfect Blitzcrank grab. Diamondprox's Xin Zhao saves were damn impressive though.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 10:25:04 AM

I was like, WOW! This startup Gambit team I've never heard of is absolutely crushing a Korean powerhouse!

and then I realized they are Moscow 5.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 10:46:21 AM

Too bad the streams are mostly unwatchable.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Rasix

Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 12:12:11 PM

They all played really, really well.  Their solo lanes didn't even have to do a whole lot (still did).  Bot got wrecked.  Diamond was everywhere. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:14:13 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Rasix

Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 12:13:00 PM

Euro S3 qualifiers this weekend. Should be some interesting games.  MYM/Fanatic/etc.

-Rasix
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 07:56:38 PM

Euro S3 qualifiers this weekend. Should be some interesting games.  MYM/Fanatic/etc.

Just picked up on this, but looks like MYM got a bye for game one since Solo Mebdi was disqualified yesterday... disqualified as in, bans for three of it's players for being dicks.
http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=10180118
Ouch.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 08:59:56 PM

DarkwinJax was reported more than 1,000 times during a 375-game period (Feb-Apr 2012).
Mother of Cthulhu, I couldn't manage that if I tried. I wouldn't have the stamina.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 10:34:18 PM

That must be a lot of N-bombs....

Honestly, you have got to realize you'll get banned for this.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 07:51:18 AM

That must be a lot of N-bombs....

Honestly, you have got to realize you'll get banned for this.

Well yeah, considering everyone of those guys has had MULTIPLE accounts banned. Hell, one of those guys threatened to DDOS someone in fucking chat. Like somehow that couldn't be used as evidence that he is an antisocial twonk who deserves to be sent to a remote desert island where he can never see people again, much less allowed to shit on people from the Internet.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 08:01:09 AM

The worst is readon the riot forums of people trying to defend these guy....ugh.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 08:48:04 AM

Well to be honest, most of the people defending these guys have just been flagged for watching.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 07:09:06 AM

Watching ?  Is that a Buffy reference ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rasix

Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 11:40:05 AM

This IEM Brazil is a bit underwhelming.  A lot of awful teams.

Still, just watched a pretty entertaining game between LG IM (some Korean team) and KAYD (some Brazilian team).  End was completely spoiled when the camera switched to the Brazilian team celebrating while they were pushing towards the Nexus.  Crowd went nuts.   Game was a huge come back for the Brazilian team as they were down big early.

-Rasix
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 02:58:57 PM

http://www.twitch.tv/eslasia/b/362814801

Skip to 3:34. Watch the game. Seriously. Do it
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 06:40:49 PM

What the fuck did I just watch ?  ACK!  awesome, for real  Heart

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 07:40:55 PM

Holy crap - speed kill anyone?

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 08:19:08 PM

What the fuck did I just watch ?  ACK!  awesome, for real  Heart

The purple team didn't have any wave clear, so blue went for a specific strat which allowed them to utilize a large amount of poke and zone in order to shove turrets and gain a global gold advantage.

The core of this combination is bltizcrank enabling safe buff control, heimerdingers very strong AoE Regen aura and turrets which are able to both prevent side lane ganks and keep waves shoved, and caits ability to shove down turrets made them able to quickly and efficiently take towers.

If you try this and the enemy team can clear waves then 3 go to the wave you're pushing and defend by clearing waves asap, and your other lanes split and shove hard. By the time your 5 or 4 get the single lane the other two unopposed lanes will get a turret and can continue shoving. If you don't get the inhib early then you're underleveled and under gold compared to the single lanes and their raw tower advantage will allow them the global gold to negate your push.

But if you do get the inhib your side lanes auto push hard due to the bonus HP and your main lane must be defended because superminions at 10-15 minutes are very strong. At 10 minutes they will have about 2400 HP, 100 armor and hit for 220 damage. Which is to say that every 30 seconds you have another tank with the damage of an ADC pushing down your lane.

Losing an inhib at 9 minutes is basically game over, every engagement from thereon out will be, at best, 5v4 in their favor because you must have someone to keep the open lane from shoving into your nexus. In addition, any pressure is even more powerful. If you force someone to defend any position as 4 then the lane they're not defending will auto push and generate an even larger tower advantage.

even if you manage to win an engagement you're going to lose because the lanes are shoving and there is almost no way you can get any advantage out of a win if you have to go back and defend your towers.
Rasix

Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 09:44:03 PM

I've never seen that pulled off that well.

Apparently in ranked 5s, CLG.eu (now EG) played a team called "5 minute inhib".  And they did it to them.  CLG.eu still won. 

-Rasix
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 10:27:06 PM

Are push lineups not common?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 10:37:20 PM

Not in my experience.  Pub teams don't use them because they generally require a lot of coordination and if you fuck up, you're underleveled and underfarmed.  Pro teams don't use them because it's kind of a cheese tactic and if the enemy team knows you're going to try it, they can counter it hard.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 10:56:43 PM

Most common lineups are

AoE: Everyone has an AoE Ult or combo. Bursts everyone down in an instant then cleans up. Strength: Early to mid game team fights since the AOE burst is insane. Weakness: If the enemy team survives the burst it can turn very fast

Poke: Also known as siege. Mid game sieges towers and pokes down enemies so that they can't ever get a good engage in. Weakness: Wave Clear. If the enemy team can clear waves fast enough the poke doesn't matter since poke teams can't really hard engage under a tower well.

Split Push: Team utilizes Global ults/teleport to push waves with 1 person while the other 5 get objectives. If the enemy team sends one to stop the split push then you can engage the 5v4 with the global ult. Weakness: Teleport on the other team, especially on someone with a stun. If your split pusher doesn't have time to get to a non-stun place so he can teleport in your strat is canceled. If the enemy also has teleport they can turn your 5v4 attempt into a 5v4 in their favor.

Early push comps are not common they require a lot of coordination and a lot of things going right in picks to work.

In the linked game, blitz needed to be unbanned, they needed to be blue side against a blue start jungler, and the enemy team needed to have a small amount of AoE. They needed blitzcrank to be unbanned.

They needed to be blue side because they invaded red at level 1. If they were purple they would have run into the ADC defending it, ditto for a red side start jungler. They needed a situation there the enemy team was content to know they were invaded and either be unable to defend (because you can't get bottom there in time) or content to let it go.

They needed a small amount of AoE because if the enemies could shove/wave clear effectively then the jig is up as explained earlier. They needed blitz unbanned so they could pull red and ensure there was no level 1 team fight. If there was any kind of level 1 team fight they were probably going to lose. This is because it only takes one or two lanes getting ahead to stop the push. This is true even if they won so long as they had to go back.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 05:01:06 AM

Yeah, that sort of play is just really risky in anything but the perfect situation, and even in that perfect situation it was still pretty risky.  In addition to all the things Goumindong said, I think you also get a large boost from it being so far outside the normal meta.  In other words, the other team has no practice against it.  That doesn't mean it is a one off, teams will study that game and learn what to do if someone tries to pull something similar.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 10:07:29 AM

The amount of grabs that blitz missed made me sad.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Pro Play and Celebrity Gossip  
Jump to: