Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:54:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: War Thunder 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 141520 times)
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: August 08, 2013, 12:27:51 PM

It's not actually that grindy...

Sure the achievement factor of gaining pixels and advancing levels can be fun but it doesn't change much. Fighting at level 5-6 isn't much different from fighting at level 10-11 or 19-20. You just have faster planes with more guns against similar fast and lethal planes. Point of the game is to go out and pew pew in WW2 airplanes, even more fun with a squad of friends,  all this works the same at low level as high.
WayAbvPar

Reply #176 on: August 08, 2013, 03:17:20 PM

I am still not sure how I feel about this. The component system is sort of neat, but it fucking pisses me off that I have to buy all that shit again on planes I had maxed out for fucking MONTHS. I spent almost $500k yesterday without buying a goddamned plane, and I still have formerly maxed planes that don't have a full loadout because I ran out of money. FUCK THAT.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: August 08, 2013, 09:02:52 PM

buy some more gold eagles, duh
WayAbvPar

Reply #178 on: August 10, 2013, 11:40:06 AM

7 air kills (plus 2 assists), 6 ground kills, my team (of course) loses. 17920 lions. Fuck this game. That should be 30k at least.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #179 on: August 11, 2013, 10:48:05 AM

I've been playing this a ton and having a fun time, but it's got too many issues and the development direction is all sorts of wrong. There are illions of Russian planes and they keep adding more while other nations languish with neglected, bare trees. The reason for that apparently is that they had two flight model teams - one for the Russian planes and one for everyone else. It turns out that the international team all left because the Russian team would change their stuff before letting it go into the game. There was a big thread on the forums that got deleted, but the stuff that was said matches with what's going on in the game. shitloads of overpowered Russian planes while everyone else under performs. like last patch did the russians need two more tier 3 airplanes with fucking cannons and another mid level Yak with a cannon even bigger than the one in the the 9T?

Plus the last patch really ruined the skin collecting for me. I ground out games in the P40 to get all its skins, but there's no way I'm grinding out 300 air kills in shit like the Stuka B2. I spent 600k to buy the modules for the planes I have actively slotted and ran out of money half way though Britain.

The populations are way down across the servers as well. I liked the game a lot but I'm pretty much done when my sub runs out in a couple of days.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #180 on: August 11, 2013, 11:11:16 AM

I'm feeling similarly. The separate dev team for the Russians is one of the most bone headed things I've heard of. Apparently its because the official documents on Russian planes for specs and flight model info are still classified and only a Russian team could have access to it, but I have my doubts about that. I mean, we know the USSR was stupid, but keeping 70 year old plane specs classified seems nuts, even for Russia.

And to be honest, its not so much that the other flight models are gimped, but that the Russian ones are fantasy.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: August 19, 2013, 06:52:13 AM

The Russian thing is really overstated. They really aren't OP at all besides a few absurd examples like that premium Chaiki biplane with cannons but every nation has a few planes that are very strong. I think the big QQ du jour is USA's premium mk IX spifire, before that it was the German premium FW 190.

My dirty secret is that I am abusing Jap planes which are OP as fuck but nobody realizes it because Japan is a bitch from level 0-7, lacking planes and undergunned. But those lvl 8 & 9 A6M3 zeros are ridiculous. They climb as well as BF109s, out turn anyone even spitfire Mk2s, and their cannons omni ammo packed full of HE drops just about any fighter in a short burst, I usually can kill 3 before reloading. Seal clubbing in 8-9, about to hit 12 in Jap and I will add a couple more Zeros to roster and see how they stack up  in 12-13.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: August 19, 2013, 09:07:41 AM

The Russian thing is really overstated. They really aren't OP at all besides a few absurd examples like that premium Chaiki biplane with cannons but every nation has a few planes that are very strong.

There's YouTube videos comparing the flight characterteristics of of the different fighters. The only Russian fighter with a different flight model seems to be the Yak-3, all the rest are modeled with no stalling and very little inertia. That's huge considering everyone else's planes do stall and have to deal with inertia. Add in that they all have fuckcannons from tier 3 onwards and it's pretty bad.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: August 19, 2013, 11:57:33 AM

I guess I should mention I play mostly arcade battle, so maybe all this matters less there. I don't like historical because the ground objectives are meaningless since it all boils down to a team fighter deathmatch when 99% of games end with a side dieing off. Add in the boring 10 minute takeoff start, and the fact that climbing is the only thing that matters so you can BnZ dive the opposition. Finally the "instructor" seems to be completely whacked out for me and makes handling very difficult of most planes.

Russia is easier at low levels since their small calibre MG seems to be stronger but by 6-7 it's not much more of an issue. What fuckcannons? They aren't obviously stronger plus they usually only have one mounted. I eat Russian planes in 10-11 tier with the premium british mustang with has 4 hispano cannons. I would say brits & japs have stronger cannons, germans probably equal.

So at most I would agree Russia are strong 0-5, then it gets even, they have some strengths but nothing exceptional. I don't even really like playing them that much, the light bombers like IL-2 and Pe-2 are fun but not so much the fighters.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: October 06, 2013, 05:22:48 AM

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: December 24, 2013, 07:18:16 AM

Well the new patch basically increased the grind by a large multiple. People have calculated it takes about 4 times as long to unlock a whole nation tree (even with premium account), and gold eagles to EXP conversion cost has been increased by a factor a factor of 7.

They also totally screwed newer players, they removed tier 0, so now people with 1930s era level 0-1 biplanes are being matched against  (clubbed by) 1940 combat tested spitfires, ki61s, lagg3s, etc.

Basically if you are a new player joining the game now you're hosed. Setup to get beaten senseless by people in way more advanced planes, and if you persevere it will take you a lot longer to get said planes.

Really don't understand how they can do this right at a critical moment when they have a huge influx of new players from steam + playstation 4, facing new &  heavy competition from world of warplanes (they are spending huge $ on advertising, even on TV here in Canada at least),  and right when people have some time to sit down and play the game over holiday. Hopefully they reverse this asap cuz otherwise it's really going to hurt them.

At least the rest of the patch was ok, new planes, better flight models on existing. They need to re-balance arcade battles a bit more though, too much yer-2 bomber (a ridiculous plane that has 6 variants in game, even though only 300 produced, and carries an max load, so twice that of lancasters and B17, G8N, who just get a fuel economy load) base rushing ending matches in 4-6 minutes.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: December 25, 2013, 06:40:12 PM

I tried this a bit but haven't in the last few weeks. I really enjoyed flying bombers, but the sheer grind to get them to carry any kind of decent bomb is pretty damn offputting. AND you got sod all XP. AND the whole grind to actually get your crew up to speed is madness. Basically you have to spend a wagon of XP on "experiance gunners" or all your gunners have all their stats reduced. And that's before you spend your hard won XP on actually leveling up your crew stats. Or you could simply give them dollahs for crew XP...

The patch described above sounds like sheer madness. I guess its to stop deep lack of population in the high tiers so the top guys finally have something to shoot at, but for fuck sake anyone could take their tier 7s for a spin.

Hic sunt dracones.
Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: December 26, 2013, 09:43:05 AM

Haven't played this in a while, but the Tier/matchmaking really felt "off" to me.  I hated being in my Tier 3 plane up against Mustangs and advanced Zeros.  I felt that they needed to force you to pick your three planes (for arcade) first, and then match you based on that. 

They really need to learn from the mistakes/choices of others and try to apply those same principles.  The early game is where you hook players, not the late.

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
WayAbvPar

Reply #188 on: December 26, 2013, 09:47:56 AM

They made the grind WORSE? Wow. They are going to let WG win by default even when they might have the superior game.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: December 26, 2013, 10:03:15 AM

Haven't played this in a while, but the Tier/matchmaking really felt "off" to me.  I hated being in my Tier 3 plane up against Mustangs and advanced Zeros.  I felt that they needed to force you to pick your three planes (for arcade) first, and then match you based on that. 

They really need to learn from the mistakes/choices of others and try to apply those same principles.  The early game is where you hook players, not the late.

The Matchmaking was based on your highest active plane. so if you replaced all your planes with tier 4 or below (which you could easily and for free) you would bot face advanced planes above tier 4

They made the grind WORSE? Wow. They are going to let WG win by default even when they might have the superior game.

Yep, World of Warplanes is an inferior product, no question. This is almost like corporate suicide where they would just like to take the money and run.

Hic sunt dracones.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: December 26, 2013, 10:36:40 AM

I tried this a bit but haven't in the last few weeks. I really enjoyed flying bombers, but the sheer grind to get them to carry any kind of decent bomb is pretty damn offputting. AND you got sod all XP. AND the whole grind to actually get your crew up to speed is madness. Basically you have to spend a wagon of XP on "experiance gunners" or all your gunners have all their stats reduced. And that's before you spend your hard won XP on actually leveling up your crew stats. Or you could simply give them dollahs for crew XP...

The patch described above sounds like sheer madness. I guess its to stop deep lack of population in the high tiers so the top guys finally have something to shoot at, but for fuck sake anyone could take their tier 7s for a spin.

experienced gunners are nice, but only marginal help. Bombing is always going to be a tough job with a fiery doom, you need to be smart to maximize your life expectancy. Spawn with a fighter or light/medium bomber first, in T3 up more people now are climbing so this opens a chance to do a ground run low against tanks. unfortunately this is more difficult now since they nerfed bomb splash again, I think so tankers have more of a chance in upcoming ground combat so use 500lb/250kg bombs, smaller doesn't cut it anymore. You wanna try and dive in, then cut back to friendlier area and hopefully shake any pursuers there. After you die, look around, does enemy have a lot of fighters still up high or did your team clear them? If so then you can spawn a heavy bomber and go attack the new fixed map objectives for pretty solid xp/cash.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: December 26, 2013, 11:26:41 AM

Yeah, the best rounds I've had was launching torpedoes at ships in suicide runs, sadly. Ah well, sadly there's a big difference between fun and effective in these types of games. And I had good fun in historical battles as well.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:29:26 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: December 26, 2013, 04:20:07 PM

Yep, World of Warplanes is an inferior product, no question. This is almost like corporate suicide where they would just like to take the money and run.
The absolute worst thing about WoWP is the default controls; they are god-awful. If you switch them out to something more like, well, more like War Thunder the game does play a lot better.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: January 22, 2014, 02:41:20 AM

disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: January 22, 2014, 03:35:09 AM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #195 on: January 22, 2014, 04:08:16 AM

Seriously, where? Need tanks. Now.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: January 22, 2014, 04:29:49 AM

Sorry, my fault. I still think of the whole game as Beta, so when they said the ground forces were released to Beta I assumed Live servers... Not so.  Heartbreak

To pass some time though.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: May 15, 2014, 10:32:37 AM

Ground Forces (tanks) live now.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #198 on: May 15, 2014, 11:33:39 AM

For everyone?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: May 15, 2014, 11:37:27 AM

yup
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #200 on: May 15, 2014, 12:23:04 PM

Looks like I'm tryin some War Thunder.  Wasn't interested in the flying but I'll give tanks a shot.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: May 15, 2014, 12:30:02 PM

Sorry, my fault. I still think of the whole game as Beta, so when they said the ground forces were released to Beta I assumed Live servers... Not so.  Heartbreak

To pass some time though.

Those models are beautiful.  If it plays as well as it looks, WGN is in trouble.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: May 15, 2014, 01:25:00 PM

Those models are beautiful.  If it plays as well as it looks, WGN is in trouble.

I think it's great. I like their solution to artillery. Instead of artillery vehicles you use research points to buy a "call in artillery strike" option for aech tank. Another nice change from even the plane part of WT is that you get more than one spawn of each tank so if you die in it due to being one-shot in an ambush you get a second or third chance to earn XP with it. The down side is that the game doesn't reward camping and picking off damaged tanks. Most of the time if a tank is damaged it's dead a second or two laterby the first guy who shot it. It's a lot faster paced in my opinion.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #203 on: May 15, 2014, 02:01:56 PM

6gb.. looks like I'm not playing tonight.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: May 15, 2014, 03:10:32 PM

I've really enjoyed the CBT version. It's very much a one shot kill setup most of the time, but I find that I really like the idea that every penetrating hit causes useful damage and a possible kill.

There's a playerbase population issue at least in the CBT with 2/3rd of the players picking germans. I will say that Realistic and Simulator are the modes to play. Arcade is kind of silly due to how the drop indicator works. Basically people just wave their guns around until it turns green and pull the trigger.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: May 15, 2014, 04:19:51 PM

I think it's great. I like their solution to artillery. Instead of artillery vehicles you use research points to buy a "call in artillery strike" option for aech tank.

I really like the artillery implementation.  It makes more sense to me than what WoT did.  The German Soviet imbalance seems like it has carried over from the CBT, which doesn't surprise me much. 
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: May 15, 2014, 04:42:10 PM

Yeah, the queues are about 7-1 german. Not helped by the starter pack german sherman being pretty much a seal clubbing dream.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: May 15, 2014, 04:42:54 PM

Which is really surprising given that in tier 1 at least Soviet guns seem to be soooooo much better. You can take out anything else in the tier right off the bat in a T-26 where the Pz II has to spam a whole load at something and hope for a penetrating shot that causes a fire. So far the only annoyance I'm having is that my fire extinguishers will not acknowledge and keybind for them. Given the number of times I get set on fire it's a pretty major issue.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #208 on: May 15, 2014, 09:26:19 PM

I don't think this is going to be my cup of tea.  My PZ3 moves like the old T50-2s in WOT.  Things are far too fast and it feels like I'm running with an awkward FPS avatar not a tank.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: May 16, 2014, 12:53:14 AM

The first tank I tried does powerslides, constantly, no matter what. Not sure if it's realistic, but it just doesn't feel right.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: War Thunder  
Jump to: