Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:22:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Guesting - seriously 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guesting - seriously  (Read 19510 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: January 17, 2013, 05:18:05 AM

Guesting available 28th Jan. Bullshit region locks remains in place.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guesting-is-coming/

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 05:32:17 AM

Also server transfers will now cost money.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:23:46 AM

It'll be interesting to see if there are any last minute transfers (of guilds) before the free transfers end and how that will affect the wvw (though it would have been better if they had managed to fix guesting a few months ago instead of dragging it this long)
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:57:31 AM

Not being able to guest on Euro servers makes me a sad panda. One of the great things in GW1 was the possibility to switch seamlessly between the US district (if I wanted to play with guildies) and the EU district (if I wanted to solo, and - especially - pvp). Then again, there was a pretty harsh region-lock restriction in GW1 in place for a long time before they relented, so here's hoping the same will happen here!

Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 09:20:05 AM

Not being able to guest on Euro servers makes me a sad panda. One of the great things in GW1 was the possibility to switch seamlessly between the US district (if I wanted to play with guildies) and the EU district (if I wanted to solo, and - especially - pvp). Then again, there was a pretty harsh region-lock restriction in GW1 in place for a long time before they relented, so here's hoping the same will happen here!
You could still meet up with players from other regions in the international districts though couldn't you? Or did they only come after they removed the limit on the number of times you could switch regions?

Has anyone here used the server transfer to switch regions?  Just curious if it's instant of if there's a delay in them copying over the user data to the other datacenter.  They clearly have the ability to move user data from one datacenter to the other but this post from Martin Kerstein last night says they can't do it for guesting.  By that I'm assuming he means that keeping the two datacenters constantly synched isn't worth the effort.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:48:41 PM

I'm not sure I understand the point of guesting if it doesn't cover international groups for out-of-peak play and international guilds?

I understood dungeoning with people on other local servers was already possible?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:50:28 PM

As I vaguely remember GW1, you could pick to be in the region specific instance or choose to be in the global instance.

I might be misremembering.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 01:26:18 PM

I don't think international districts were in at the start. You were region-locked at first, then later they added the international districts (that nobody used) along with an option to move between regions a limited # of times on an account level, and eventually added the option to move between regions at will. That was more than 1-1.5 years after launch as well, iirc.

e: also, the international districts were in the US, so latency was still bad if you were playing from Europe.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:29:23 PM by Zetor »

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 11:45:34 PM

So, since BAT seems to have disintegrated as usual (   why so serious? ), what would be a good server to switch to ? GoM seems to be a bit empty right now, but I am playing mostly during Euro times at the moment and only low level characters.

I'd really like to try WvW again, but that's an even more barren wasteland than the low level zones.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 01:08:51 AM

I'm on Far Shiverpeaks. Population is decent, you rarely have to do an event solo, dungeons have a crowd and wvw has a zerg.

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 01:17:56 AM

Seafarers Rest in the EU currently has a large amount of USA players who transferred over for the PvP scene so should have a good population all day long.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 08:18:26 AM

So, since BAT seems to have disintegrated as usual (   why so serious? ), what would be a good server to switch to ? GoM seems to be a bit empty right now, but I am playing mostly during Euro times at the moment and only low level characters.

I'd really like to try WvW again, but that's an even more barren wasteland than the low level zones.

On GoM, wvw has been busy every evening this week. We held the main fort in EB, and the bad guys kept us busy in our BL.

Ah but you're playing Euro hours. That explains it.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 08:24:53 AM

Multi-guild should have slowed the decline BAT but A.net didn't follow through on the implementation so people were still forced to between their primary guild and BAT.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:25:04 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 02:02:46 PM

At least I can see all the people on who can't chat with anyone else because none of us are representing the guild. awesome, for real

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 02:52:51 PM

You guys should xfer to Tarnished Coast and join TV with Zetor and I (that is you, right Z?).

--"unofficial" RP server
--despite that, great WvW population (T2, good organization, great commanders)
--friendly population
--high population.  This is a pro and a con, because it's hard to find a time when the server isn't full.  But it can be done.  Once you're here, it's a great server.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 10:01:26 PM

Yea, I agree with all of that. TC has lots of fun guilds, and is strangely competitive in WVW tier 2 while not being as hardcore and militaristic as the tier1 and other tier2 servers - it also lacks the chest-beating "elite pvp guilds" that seem so prevalent everywhere else. Also, people tend to type in full sentences and have been shown to have a sense of humor on occasion, which is amazing. I can also vouch for TV (Transcendent Veneration) being good folks, even though Crumbs is mixing me up with someone else  awesome, for real (my main char is Zaph, and the only TC guild I'm in is Jademoon)

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 08:33:23 AM

On Tarnished Coast, do you have to rp in wvwvw? I'm bad at rping, although I don't mind not chitchatting. I communicate about camps being taken and so on but I'd hate to have to rp that.

Is there ever a queue?

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 08:50:22 AM

No queues when I play (Euro time), and RP is not required at all. In fact, even srsbsns RPers go out of character in wvw (especially in /team and /map chat)... most of the time. Some of them don't, which can lead to rather  awesome, for real situations -- but that's really rare and more of a curiosity than anything.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 09:21:24 AM

It's full now, so it looks like I'm not going anywhere.

With allllllllllllllll those people listed under Gates of Madness, I'm the only one playing in F13.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 10:07:41 AM

It's full now, so it looks like I'm not going anywhere.

With allllllllllllllll those people listed under Gates of Madness, I'm the only one playing in F13.
I was there yesterday.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 10:42:57 AM

I saw a couple today, too.

I joined a more active guild but if anyone needs help on GoM server and I'm on, shoot me a message.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 11:42:38 AM

Yea, I agree with all of that. TC has lots of fun guilds, and is strangely competitive in WVW tier 2 while not being as hardcore and militaristic as the tier1 and other tier2 servers - it also lacks the chest-beating "elite pvp guilds" that seem so prevalent everywhere else. Also, people tend to type in full sentences and have been shown to have a sense of humor on occasion, which is amazing. I can also vouch for TV (Transcendent Veneration) being good folks, even though Crumbs is mixing me up with someone else  awesome, for real (my main char is Zaph, and the only TC guild I'm in is Jademoon)

Hmm, somewhere along the line I got it into my head that you were Odinzu  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  At any rate, if anyone ever finds themselves in search of a guild on TC, feel free to hit me up at Science.6709.  TV asks that people apply on their forums, which can be found at http://transcendentveneration.guildportal.com/
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 12:29:02 PM

I moved back to GoM yesterday, don't play much but I do represent f13 when I do log in.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 07:50:37 AM

I've been on TC from the start and I don't think I've heard a single person RP ever.  I think that's probably part of the whole tendency for RP to have gone from people acting in character all the time to people cybering in inns.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 08:09:28 AM

Read the title thinking there was now an invite/Trial thing.

Nope.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 08:12:01 AM

Read the title thinking there was now an invite/Trial thing.

Nope.

Do you want an invite/trial if one becomes available? If so, I'll be happy to remind you if I find out before you do.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 10:02:03 AM

Guesting update also has new achievement stuff:  https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/january-2013/?update

I'd heard mumbling about new reasons to do the dailies coming eventually, and sort of put it out of my mind with all other 'will be here one day' MMO information - but, it's almost here!  Extra good for me since I finished my temple suit and promptly stopped doing dailies.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Guesting - seriously  
Jump to: