Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:33:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: 1.0.7 - More XP, Crafting, and Duels 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1.0.7 - More XP, Crafting, and Duels  (Read 21623 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: January 14, 2013, 12:53:21 PM

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8414560/

Looks good to me, even though I'm probably the only guy still playing. I think the changes to MP xp is probably the best thing in there, since it offered little risk/reward (people weren't using it to level their paragon at all). I'm concerned how BoA crafted items will affect an already shakey market for regular items. We'll see.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 01:30:43 PM

I like the looks of it. I'm not actively playing it, but I never hated the game in the first place and have just been doing other things - I'll be back to check this out for sure.

EDIT: The damage reflect change with pets is really, really nice.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:37:31 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 06:28:58 PM

Not sure why they're changing reflect damage. Yeah it was challenging, but it was pretty much the last challenging thing left in this game.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:41:40 PM

With pets it isn't so much a question of 'challenge' as you have no real control over them and it just screws you.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 07:48:32 PM

Not sure why they're changing reflect damage. Yeah it was challenging, but it was pretty much the last challenging thing left in this game.

It wasn't really challenging though.  It was just an attribute that would with basically instagib you if you were a glass cannon build or not be an issue if you weren't.  I guess something that can kill you is "challenging" but it certainly wasn't adding a lot of gameplay depth. 

But then, this genre has never been popular because it is challenging, aside from perhaps the hardcore community.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:04:28 PM

With Monster Power, it's all about tuning the affixes for the health/damage boosts. They are turning plagued and molten for that reason.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 07:40:55 AM

New word coming out is that 1.0.7 will institute a "report bot" function.

Interesting...

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 07:41:11 PM

And nobody cared.

Also I seem to remember saying about 6 months ago that the only way to fix Auction House dominating everything was with bind-on-pickup style items. I must be a genius.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:44:02 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 02:56:16 PM

Thanks for reminding me. I just uninstalled D3 and got back like 6-7 gigs of space on my SSD!

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 06:39:28 PM

I look at the changes and wish I could care. But I don't

It's a case of it being too late as the horse has bolted.

I was about to pre-order the SC2 expansion and started thinking about getting the digital deluxe version. Then I realised that the WoW and D3 devs had switched off to me the player and that there was no point in the extra goodies.

That makes me sad, but the space I got back from D3 and WoW gives me more drive space for publishers that don't try to jam their erroneous vision of "fun" down my throat.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 08:19:51 AM

At least we're not paying a sub for it.

I still get an itch every now and then and as much as I wanted to like TL2, I simply prefer the combat in D3.

That said, there's nothing in this patch that could bring me back.

Maybe an expansion with a new character class or two.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 08:28:21 PM

Torchlight 2 combat feels like total shit, so I'm with you on that one.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 06:51:04 AM

So in the new issue of "not getting it" Blizzard decided to give everyone a new class of gems called the Marquise gem, where you have to put in 3 of the highest quality gem currently available to make one. The current highest level gem sells for about 25-30M gold.

Then, they inform everyone that those gems will be Bind on Account. Community overwhelming says, no, that's not what we want in gems. They are a sellable commodity up to a point, and then they aren't? That makes no sense.

Blizzard's reponse: Oh well the plans that drop to make the gems aren't BoA, you can still trade those. Facepalm

Example thread:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7708952131?page=2

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 07:44:44 AM

Well, they've got pressure from some people saying they don't like the AH and want more emphasis on self-found stuff.  BoA is them trying to do that (they did it with Hellfire Rings).   

Although frankly, this is way out of the price range of most people to begin with.  They are desperately trying to add carrots for their highest end players, when the reason Diablo games were so strong in the past is that they didn't really segregate the highest end and just normal "end game" people.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 12:37:01 PM

People believe the game is itemized for the AH, and not regular drop rates. The BoA thing won't solve that.

That's not really the case. The bigger issue is that because of the game design, most of the affixes to items are absolutely useless, and it would not have any effect on the game if it was single player at all.

All resistences other than AllResist, Extra health globes, life after kill, life per spirit, life regen, CC reduction, thorns, AP on crit, +xp points, reduced lvl, chance to chill-freeze-fear-immobilize-knock-slow-stun, plus 55 other class specific things that are pointless.

Add into the fact that two of the three main stats are completely useless to your class, and the fact that weapons are about DPS over everything else, and you get a ridiculously small sample of possible affixes that work.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 05:31:19 PM

Hey, I totally use thorns.  awesome, for real

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 06:40:36 PM

Sadly my stat priority on my monk was Agi/health/all resists + cold resist (cheapest of the second resists to buy when I played this travesty of a game). For weapons it was damage + life on hit followed by anything else that was good.

The fact that I was locked into this plus locked into using One With All is nuts. The need for primary stats should never have gone ahead as these items never drop for me and it's nuts that monks can double dip with OWA where other classes can't. It's crazy, but the Path of Exile devs seem to know this as playing both closed and open beta I was never short of gear that I couldn't use and getting the next piece of gear is an awesome feeling.

I went and had a mess around with my other 4 D3 60s in inferno - the cost of gearing is crazy and the drops aren't happening on them either - I did get a nice wand with strength and agility on it though :D

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 06:44:33 PM

Actually, I noticed that PoE seems to look at the class you are playing and drop the gems for that class more readily than other classes. There's still some randomisation across the colours but you can actually use 80% of them. Gear stats seem good too - maybe it's because the drops are greater than in D3.

I wonder if Blizz could fix a lot of the gearing issues by localising the primary stats on gear to the class it drops for? At least it would give the player a feeling that the drop was somewhat useful not totally worthless.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 07:12:37 PM

Actually, I noticed that PoE seems to look at the class you are playing and drop the gems for that class more readily than other classes.
Do you have a source for this? Because this sounds like someone reading too much into the RNG, and doesn't mirror my experience at all. I find tons of green gems, and play a Witch.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 07:46:16 PM

Actually, I noticed that PoE seems to look at the class you are playing and drop the gems for that class more readily than other classes. There's still some randomisation across the colours but you can actually use 80% of them. Gear stats seem good too - maybe it's because the drops are greater than in D3.

I wonder if Blizz could fix a lot of the gearing issues by localising the primary stats on gear to the class it drops for? At least it would give the player a feeling that the drop was somewhat useful not totally worthless.

I would hate to see that actually. Tailoring drops means less 'hey I found this thing I could use to make some other different character' which is one of the best parts of ARPGs, IMO.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 04:16:36 AM

Actually, I noticed that PoE seems to look at the class you are playing and drop the gems for that class more readily than other classes.
Do you have a source for this? Because this sounds like someone reading too much into the RNG, and doesn't mirror my experience at all. I find tons of green gems, and play a Witch.

No source other than what I've seen on my Ranger. 25 greens, six reds and 3 blues. If you're getting greens too than there may be an RNG issue

Edit: Just checked my level 5 witch and she has 5 blue, 1 green and no red. 2 quest rewards so that's 3 blue drops. She had more drop early than the ranger.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:19:02 AM by Setanta »

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 04:21:25 AM

I would hate to see that actually. Tailoring drops means less 'hey I found this thing I could use to make some other different character' which is one of the best parts of ARPGs, IMO.

I'd agree - except ther seems nothing in D3 to sustain this. Most stuff that drops for me gets vendored as the primary stats are counter-productive - WH/WD seem the worst for this.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 05:54:24 AM

Taking out quest rewards and not counting what I've traded, I have 8 Blues, 6 Reds, and 18 greens on my 44 Witch. My level 7 hc Mara has found exactly 2 gems, both green; his 3 reds are all quest rewards.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 07:19:12 AM

People believe the game is itemized for the AH, and not regular drop rates. The BoA thing won't solve that.

That's not really the case. The bigger issue is that because of the game design, most of the affixes to items are absolutely useless, and it would not have any effect on the game if it was single player at all.

All resistences other than AllResist, Extra health globes, life after kill, life per spirit, life regen, CC reduction, thorns, AP on crit, +xp points, reduced lvl, chance to chill-freeze-fear-immobilize-knock-slow-stun, plus 55 other class specific things that are pointless.

Add into the fact that two of the three main stats are completely useless to your class, and the fact that weapons are about DPS over everything else, and you get a ridiculously small sample of possible affixes that work.

Yea, this is indeed the issue.  Basically no matter what class you play you want to stack your Main State + enough vitality to not get one shot, + some life on hit or life leach + all resist + as much crit chance and crit damage as you can muster.  Then in your weapon slot you want a socketed high dps weapon with a green gem.

There are SOME other possible builds, like life regen/thorns on a minion based Witch Doctor, but even at their best these sorts of builds pale in comparison to the standard ones.  Critical Mass Wizards use a bit of AP on crit.  Chance to freeze/stun on hit is only useful for outfitting your scoundrel if you use him as your sidekick.

I actually still play Diablo 3 quite a bit so I can't complain too much to be honest, but I agree that the issues of itemization have everything to do with game design and almost nothing to do with the AH.  Diablo 2 was similar in that almost all the loot you got was pretty useless, but at least there were a variety of viable builds that geared differently.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 09:09:38 PM

Well, they've got pressure from some people saying they don't like the AH and want more emphasis on self-found stuff.  BoA is them trying to do that (they did it with Hellfire Rings).   

Although frankly, this is way out of the price range of most people to begin with.  They are desperately trying to add carrots for their highest end players, when the reason Diablo games were so strong in the past is that they didn't really segregate the highest end and just normal "end game" people.

Pretty sure they are attempting to suck some of the gold out of the econ.  When the mp10 folks are done crafting their 30 items of each type trying to get uber rolls and combos blizz will come in and tune things.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 04:57:39 PM

I am having fun and looking forward to next patch.  The new loot design has absolutely increased my fun factor!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 07:21:35 PM

1.0.7 is now officially out.  As a sucker for crafting, I like additions.  They aren't the sort of thing that are going to drastically change the game, but I think it makes end game crafting worthwhile again.  Also, got an amulet on intelligence recipe of my very first monster killed in my first game I loaded up after the patch.  Huzzah!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 08:17:07 AM

I played it for 45m last night on a MP5 quick key run on Act 1.

A legendary drops right off the bat in the Jar of Souls event, so that was pretty awesome. Also I got the key and 2 Demonic essences from less than an hour playing. The XP gain is much improved at the higher levels now. It makes playing for those paragon bonuses much more well-rounded than just smoking monsters over and over again at MP1.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 03:25:58 PM

Got 2 recipes within like 30 minutes!

Love this patch, having a blast.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 10:19:59 AM

I have to admit that despite not expecting anything super, I'm having fun.  I think it is largely due to feeling like a real badass now, as compared to last time that I played, plus the increase in interesting drops.

How are game designers treated in your lands?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 08:32:04 PM

Tonight I also got my first pattern in the span of about 30m. I can play in chunks now and not see useless shit over and over. Things can be broken, sold, and there's an actual market for the materials.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 07:15:31 AM

I've been doing Act 3: The Second Heart, kill Cydea, go through the end of Act III, kill Azmodan, start act 4, and kill the first 2 minibosses of Act 4.  The run doesn't take long, has good numbers of elites, and gives your 3 bosses which have extra drop chances for the new patterns.

Has anyone tried dueling yet?
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 15, 2013, 10:44:08 AM

I played for half an hour, got a questionable upgrade for my amulet.  The rest was the usual vendor bait.

I was less than impressed.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 11:33:31 AM

Random is random.  I'm doing OK.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 11:44:34 AM

Patched, played.

Seeing no difference. 

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: 1.0.7 - More XP, Crafting, and Duels  
Jump to: