Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:12:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2012 - 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 2012 - 2013  (Read 103224 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #560 on: July 21, 2013, 11:49:37 AM

Unfortunately there's not a terribly good place to put them - they, along with Carolina, are just way out from the rest of the teams. How about?

Atlantic: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington,  New Jersey, Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina,  Columbus

Metro:  NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Boston, Buffalo, Detroit,  Montreal, Ottawa,  Toronto

Would that have made people happier?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #561 on: July 21, 2013, 11:55:41 AM

Yes, that would have made a ton more sense.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: July 24, 2013, 05:59:39 PM

The fans would have gone apeshit if they broke up the old Patrick division (or Adams).

Only way was to break up South East div
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #563 on: July 24, 2013, 07:14:57 PM

I'm willing to bet the overwhelming majority of fans do not give the slightest shit about divisions in any regard outside of playoff seeding.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #564 on: July 24, 2013, 08:16:28 PM

I'm willing to bet the overwhelming majority of fans do not give the slightest shit about divisions in any regard outside of playoff seeding.

I think you'd win that.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #565 on: July 24, 2013, 08:21:40 PM

I'm willing to bet the number who would be annoyed by messing with tradition outnumber the ones who are annoyed about shuffling around a bunch of expansion teams.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #566 on: July 24, 2013, 08:35:29 PM

Does that make sense anymore with the financial troubles of the league? How do you straddle the line of staying with tradition and creating a successful product?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #567 on: July 24, 2013, 08:39:33 PM

You're not going to solve a failing team by putting them in a division with other teams that you hope draw more tickets when they happen to be in town. That's at best a stopgap measure, and divisional realignment is enough of a pain in the ass that you don't want to use it for that sort of thing. Especially when they just had a shortened season and they don't know how good the bounce-back from that is going to look yet.

Is anyone in *really* bad shape besides the Devils?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #568 on: July 24, 2013, 08:52:23 PM

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: July 24, 2013, 09:22:49 PM

You're not going to solve a failing team by putting them in a division with other teams that you hope draw more tickets when they happen to be in town. That's at best a stopgap measure, and divisional realignment is enough of a pain in the ass that you don't want to use it for that sort of thing. Especially when they just had a shortened season and they don't know how good the bounce-back from that is going to look yet.

Is anyone in *really* bad shape besides the Devils?

Ah, Phoenix, maybe for one. Ohhhhh, I see.  All the Canadian teams and the more traditional US hockey market teams are doing fine.  Its the teams in the "non-traditional" markets that are losing the most money.  Phoenix, both Florida teams, Columbus, the Islanders and a few others aren't doing so well.  Oh, and the Devils.  That's about 1/3 of the league.  Most Americans don't give a shit about hockey and never will.  They like football, NASCAR and college sports.  The NHL ranks only slightly higher than the WNBA in relevance to most Americans, esp. in the south.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #570 on: July 24, 2013, 09:30:14 PM

I agree that it's overexpanded into American markets that don't give a shit. It will never do really well in the Southeastern US where people have a college football team that's worth a damn. The reason is that it runs concurrent to football for the most part, and then when it gets interesting in the spring, it's never on any decent TV coverage.

However, it has an advantage over football in that it can be played during the week, and it continues well into spring. That's the part they miss the most right now. Well that, and Americans like watching Americans play their sports. One of the reasons the NFL is as big as it is, because like 90%+ of the players are from America, and they are branded well.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2012 - 2013  
Jump to: