Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 10:49:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Superbowl Prediction Challenge redux 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Superbowl Prediction Challenge redux  (Read 20431 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #35 on: January 02, 2013, 04:22:51 PM

The bookies are in the business of balancing bets on both sides, not predicting who will win. So that would indicate that all the money us going against them.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 02, 2013, 10:38:04 PM

Wild Card (1pt): Packers, Seahawks, Texans, Ravens
Division (2pt): Packers, Seahawks, Patriots, Broncos
Conference (4pt): Packers, Patriots
Suberbowl (8pt): Packers

Would rather put Denver in against the Packers, but despite Manning's feel-good story, I still think Brady has his number.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 07:50:45 AM

The beauty of Brady losing to both Manning's is just to perfect not to want, though.

I have never played WoW.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 07:56:04 AM

Wild Card: Packers, Seahawks, Texans, Colts

Division: Niners, Seahawks, Broncos, Patriots

Conference: Niners, Patriots

Superbowl: Patriots

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 08:06:22 AM

I will say that if the Pats win, it will fly right in the face of my belief that you have to have a sembleance of pass defense/rush to win a championship.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 08:57:35 AM

What he said. Pete Carroll and the Fail Mary fucked your karma in its eyeholes.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 10:27:52 AM

I will say that if the Pats win, it will fly right in the face of my belief that you have to have a sembleance of pass defense/rush to win a championship.

Worked for the Rams.  I also think that Belechick is a genius when it comes to big games.

I'm also wrong a lot.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 10:50:07 AM

I should preface that by saying I meant since 2004, the year of the "pass first" rule changes in the NFL.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 11:00:00 AM

NFC
Vikings (6) @ Packers (3)
Seahawks (5) @ Redskins (4)
49ers BYE (2)
Falcons BYE (1)

AFC
Bengals (6) @ Texans (3)
Colts (5) @ Ravens (4)
Broncos BYE (1)
Patriots BYE (2)

WC: Packers, Seahawks, Bengals, Colts
DR: Packers, Seahawks, Patriots, Broncos
CC: Packers, Patriots
SB: Packers

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 01:46:47 PM

Worked for the Rams.  I also think that Belechick is a genius when it comes to big games.

I'm also wrong a lot.

If the game was in Foxboro I'd be fully confident of the Pats squeaking it out. Because its in Denver they'll most likely take a 20 point lead into the 4th quarter and find a way to blow it.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 02:41:30 PM

I should preface that by saying I meant since 2004, the year of the "pass first" rule changes in the NFL.

The pass defense being more the key than the pass rush imo. '04 Pats are a great example of this. They did not have much for sacks, interceptions, or fumble recoveries. What they did have was solid run defense (top 3 iirc) causing more throws into the coverage from some very good secondaries and their backups (who were also very good).

Beyond that, I do think the points allowed per game is what may keep the 2012 Pats competetive in the playoffs. They allow a lot of yards per game, but they only allow ~20ppg iirc. That is somewhat high compared to '04-'08 champions, but with the pass first NFL it is acceptable
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 02:52:26 PM

Pats are just ABOVE 20 ppg.

The lowest in the playoffs are the Seahawks with 15, followed by the Niners with 17 and the Broncos with 18.

beer geek.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 02:59:51 PM

Wild Card (1pt)
Colts
Texans
Seahawks
Packers

Division (2pt)
Broncos
Patriots
Falcons
Niners

Conference (4pt)
Broncos
Niners

Super Bowl Champ (8pt)
Broncos

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: January 06, 2013, 04:54:47 PM

You realize only one person picked the Ravens to win?  Well done Cyrexx

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #49 on: January 06, 2013, 05:20:49 PM

You realize only one person picked the Ravens to win?  Well done Cyrexx

Nobody expected the Colts OC/Head Coach to be a no-show.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #50 on: January 06, 2013, 09:20:51 PM

I DID expect Flacco to be a no-show... which is what made the difference.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 06, 2013, 11:23:25 PM

Honestly...I couldn't figure out what you were all thinking picking the Colts.  The Ravens almost always play good at home, and Flacco seems to have some kind of first round mojo.  Couple that with the fact that Andrew Luck really isn't that good (yet).  The only reason he didn't throw five picks was due to the sheer luck of the bounce and some serious butterfingers on the other side of the ball.  He seems terribly inaccurate for anything beyond 6 or 7 yards.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #52 on: January 07, 2013, 06:37:35 AM

Honestly...I couldn't figure out what you were all thinking picking the Colts.  The Ravens almost always play good at home, and Flacco seems to have some kind of first round mojo.  Couple that with the fact that Andrew Luck really isn't that good (yet).  The only reason he didn't throw five picks was due to the sheer luck of the bounce and some serious butterfingers on the other side of the ball.  He seems terribly inaccurate for anything beyond 6 or 7 yards.

I was personally thinking that the Ravens had lost 4 of their last 5, for the most part against playoff caliber teams. I still believe with their true playcaller back there, the Colts would have scored in the first quarter, taken the lead, and set the tone. There's no way Arians would have passed that much in the game. Luck's workload is around 40 passes a game. He threw 54 in that game, even while the Colts were averaging 5 a carry on the ground. It wasn't a good gameplan to put it on his shoulders, especially with over 25 dropbacks in the first half.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #53 on: January 07, 2013, 07:18:00 AM

Eliminated from contention:

shiznitz, sickrubik - Had the Redskins winning again and the rest of our picks are the same as someone else who picked the Seahawks.
Azuredream - One point behind Shannow and they have the same picks from here (except for Redskins and Falcons which at worst create a wash in 2nd round).
naum - same picks as Cyrrexx from here and 2pts behind him after WC.

Paelos looks to be in a bad way, but he is the only one with a Packers victory in a Packers/Broncos Superbowl so I think he can still win it.

I have never played WoW.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 07, 2013, 07:55:13 AM

Colts had a LOT of dropped passes. I didn't really see that happening.

beer geek.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 12, 2013, 05:56:52 PM

Aaand I'm out.  awesome, for real

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #56 on: January 12, 2013, 06:16:48 PM

Damnit.  I should've kept disagreeing with Paelos.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #57 on: January 12, 2013, 06:43:01 PM

Hey, who knew the refs were Baltimore fans?  awesome, for real

I think Cyrrex aces me out if the Pack wins. Oh well. Go Pack Go!

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #58 on: January 12, 2013, 11:48:27 PM

The Broncos fucked me up but I think I'm the only one who picked the Niners to win it all so I still have a chance.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #59 on: January 13, 2013, 01:27:57 PM

It's going to be Flacco v. the Falcons at this rate of WTF.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #60 on: January 18, 2013, 11:56:23 AM

Well, we pretty much all suck.

Here are the final what-if results:

1) 49ers - Pats SB with 49ers win: Trippy
2) 49ers - Pats SB with Pats win: Shannow beats Nebu by 1pt
3) 49ers - Ravens with 49ers win: Trippy
4) 49ers - Ravens with Ravens win: Hutch (has current highest score and that result helps no one remaining)
5) Falcons - Pats SB with Falcons win: Shannow
6) Falcons - Pats SB with Pats win: Shannow
7) Falcons - Ravens SB with Falcons win: Hutch
8) Falcons- Ravens SB with Ravens win: Hutch

Hutch was 3/4 in the first two rounds, so his point total through then gives him the win with a battle of the WTF teams.

I have never played WoW.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #61 on: January 18, 2013, 11:58:33 AM

I think if the Ravens or Falcons win, we declare ourselves all losers.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 21, 2013, 08:47:57 AM

Well I was doing just fine until the pats decided to take a huge dump on themselves.  It's times like this that I remind myself I don't live in Cleveland.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #63 on: January 21, 2013, 10:05:42 AM

Well I was doing just fine until the pats decided to take a huge dump on themselves.  It's times like this that I remind myself I don't live in Cleveland.

I was going to say "Or Cincinnati" but at least they made it in to the playoffs, even if they pulled their normal "shit the bed when it matters" nonsense.

Now that my curse has worked so well for Dallas I'm picking the Steelers as my team next year.  I've held off due to my Cleveland & Cinci roots but after the strutting last year I've decided it's time.  Go Steelers. (buahaha)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #64 on: January 21, 2013, 10:33:57 AM

So at this point is it just Trippy wins, or we forget we all participated in this mess?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 21, 2013, 01:23:04 PM

So at this point is it just Trippy wins, or we forget we all participated in this mess?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Looking at the Ravens as the underdog is the kind of thinking that got us into this mess in the first place  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I played baseball in high school, i.e. a long time ago. I had a knack for hitting low pop-ups (aka bloop singles) that went juuust far enough into the outfield so that no one could catch them. Unimpressive hits, but I'd be on base. My coach used to say "those count".

Whether the Niners or Ravens win, that's kind of how I feel about this contest. I'm on base, but not impressed about how I got there  awesome, for real

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #66 on: January 21, 2013, 01:53:11 PM

I'll still boo you if you win with a dink single.  why so serious?

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #67 on: January 24, 2013, 01:10:19 PM

Well, we pretty much all suck.

Here are the final what-if results:

3) 49ers - Ravens with 49ers win: Trippy
4) 49ers - Ravens with Ravens win: Hutch (has current highest score and that result helps no one remaining)

Just confirmed this.  Also, Paelos, I think this is the first time someone only earned a single point.  There is something to be said for being contrary, but if one takes it too far then contrary is the wrong word! Four of us had only 4 points.

I have never played WoW.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #68 on: January 24, 2013, 01:14:01 PM

I need a Bob Uecker walk-off quote for my one point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9myYc8Pn8o

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 03, 2013, 07:54:38 PM

Looking at the Ravens as the underdog is the kind of thinking that got us into this mess in the first place Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'll still boo you if you win with a dink single.  why so serious?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Superbowl Prediction Challenge redux  
Jump to: