Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 10:08:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Patch 5.2: Thunder, Thunder, Thunder, Thunder King Ho! 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patch 5.2: Thunder, Thunder, Thunder, Thunder King Ho!  (Read 71346 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #105 on: February 05, 2013, 01:21:46 PM

Doesn't matter, too late.  I was the last stalwart casual here and I just realized I haven't logged on in a month. Game drove us off, I'm done again.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #106 on: February 05, 2013, 02:13:27 PM

Doesn't matter, too late.  I was the last stalwart casual here and I just realized I haven't logged on in a month. Game drove us off, I'm done again.

That's why they lost that argument. They realized our subs all ran out and panicked (again) at the numbers. This happened roughly the same time in Cataclysm when 7 months in they nerfed most of the old raids to the ground, along with the release of Firelands and daaaaaaaaaaaaailies.

Also the D3 annual passes are starting to fall off the books. I believe they run until April at the latest, then they are gone completely.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:16:37 PM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: February 05, 2013, 02:35:24 PM

When the next raid tier comes out they are nerfing the previous one. How is this news, or evidence of anything besides business as usual?

This thread is truly hopeless.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:38:01 PM by Rokal »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #108 on: February 05, 2013, 02:37:31 PM

Yeah the tinfoil has gotten too strong. They've been nerfing raids when the new ones come out forever now.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: February 05, 2013, 04:48:44 PM

Ghostcrawler said they weren't going to, this time. They wanted people to earn their gear, etc. etc. Whether it was his idea or if he was just doing his job as dev team mouthpiece I have no idea, but it was definitely the plan of someone with a lot of clout.

And yeah, suddenly reverting back to the WotLK/Cata rolling raid buffs days after saying "Nope, not doing it" means someone else with more clout has turned up with a spreadsheet full of sub numbers. Next up: Something along the lines of doubling up of rep gain on dailies and/or account-wide rep.

E: Seriously. account-wide rep is a bloody brilliant idea. Gissa job, Blizz. I can do that.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:59:47 PM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: February 05, 2013, 04:55:12 PM

I don't recall seeing anything to the effect of "we are not going to nerf this tier when the next tier arrives", just that they wanted people to do this tier (via LFR) before starting the next (via LFR or normal). Hell, they've already nerfed individual fights in T14.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #111 on: February 05, 2013, 04:57:37 PM

Also I don't recall them saying they wanted to go back to the "give prior bosses an across the board debuff" thing they did in Wrath. Perhaps they did in Cata, but I wasn't around to see it. That seems like a different approach to me to go back to that model of raiding.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: February 05, 2013, 05:14:42 PM

The Wrath debuff was actually a buff that gave + %damage/health/healing to players. The last tier of Cata raiding had a stacking debuff that gave - %health/damage to bosses/trash instead. The same mechanic already exists in MoP for the 5.0 raid zones and was datamined over a year ago in beta.

This was always the plan.

On topic: Dinoriders mount

From a rep grind or rare world spawns  awesome, for real

My immediate reaction is disgust at the thought of doing yet another MoP rep grind, but if they have lots of story breaks like the 5.1 Alliance vs. Horde factions I may be able to stomach it.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #113 on: February 05, 2013, 08:54:05 PM

That's a good point. The Wrath thing was a player buff. This is a boss nerf.

It was the idea of buffing the players again that the devs have said they were reluctant to do, because it made them feel weaker when they walked outside of raids.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #114 on: February 06, 2013, 05:43:51 AM

Yeah the tinfoil has gotten too strong. They've been nerfing raids when the new ones come out forever now.

Yeah my comment wasn't meant to be tinfoily, just that it's too late.  I'm done with the game.  Uninspiring content, raids that have blown and an equipment grind that sucks for those with bad luck with the RNG.   

The usual "boss nerf!" doesn't fix any of that. It only means you take less time finding out you didn't win anything again this week.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #115 on: February 06, 2013, 01:04:51 PM

Except Elegon, which is three lots of 3 minutes of trying not to fall asleep with two intervals of Facepalming at idiots.
(This week it was "Who died this time? ....oh, the main tank" )

Elegon also features "do I 'accidentally' fall down and get myself a coffee for 5 8 minutes?"

Ohhhhh, I see.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: February 06, 2013, 01:15:01 PM

To be fair, playing as a healer tends to be at least moderately engaging in LFR. Mostly because you end up having to make up for everyone else's fuckups.

This one goes out to all tanks who doublepull the trash packs that cast "flesh to stone" and stun the raid for 15sec awesome, for real Thank Cthulhu for windwalk totem removing that shit! Also, the first 5-6 pulls in Heart of Fear, aka Healer Cooldowns 2: Cooldown Harder.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:17:57 PM by Zetor »

Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: February 06, 2013, 02:36:12 PM

No amount of cooldowns will save you if you have twno LFR tanks who face cleaving mobs into the raid  swamp poop
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: February 06, 2013, 04:48:59 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: February 11, 2013, 11:01:00 AM

Patch has been announced for the last week of February, fyi.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #120 on: February 11, 2013, 06:54:35 PM

2 more weeks to suck up valour to level our pants!  Ohhhhh, I see.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: February 12, 2013, 05:47:12 AM

I'm hoping you mean two more weeks before the patch to do that.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: February 12, 2013, 06:14:23 AM

What's happening to pants-levelling-via-valor/justice anyway -- are they just taking the entire system out behind the shed and already-upgraded items just remain as it is? I'm also guessing it's pointless to level pants with vp/jp, instead one should max out their vp/jp to get the phat loots after 5.2 hits, is that right?

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: February 12, 2013, 08:08:29 AM

Item upgrading is going away, but it might come back in 5.3 (Hint: It won't). Any upgraded gear will stay upgraded. However, VP are also getting downconverted to JP with the patch as well so spend away now.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #124 on: February 12, 2013, 08:34:35 AM

Yeah the player response to leveling your pants was about the same as it was in DAOC when they released ToA.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #125 on: February 12, 2013, 08:38:03 AM

I'm kinda wondering if they're just using WoW to test out potential models and features for Titan now and seeing what sticks.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: February 12, 2013, 08:43:12 AM

I'm kinda wondering if they're just using WoW to test out potential models and features for Titan now and seeing what sticks.

Exactly this.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: February 12, 2013, 09:20:37 AM

Wait, the pants leveling bullshit was real?  I thought you guys were kidding.

Pants leveling was a complete and utter crock in DAoC.  Do MMO developers simply pay no attention to history?

Of course, Cataclysm and Mists clearly point out that WoW devs can't be bothered to learn from their own history.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: February 12, 2013, 09:29:26 AM

Remember when adding a new feature or removing a bad one was a rare occasion?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #129 on: February 12, 2013, 09:37:24 AM

Brilliant way to drive your market share and brand name in to the ground.  Titan's taken so long to materialize as ANYTHING I'm more willing to bet it'll be scrapped than actually released.*  We're not going to hear anything for at least the next year since there was no Blizzcon 2012 and that's pretty damning.

* Well.. if it were the old Blizzard at least.  Nu-Blizzard will have to release it because they've dumped so much cash in to it.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #130 on: February 12, 2013, 10:20:46 AM

It's not that they have to release it because of the cash. They have to release it because they have nothing else in the pipeline except D3 expansions.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: February 12, 2013, 10:31:51 AM

I wish they'd at least keep pants leveling for blue items. It was the one useful way to spend JP.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #132 on: February 12, 2013, 10:57:12 AM

Or they could just you know roll old valor gear down to JP?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: February 12, 2013, 11:59:40 AM

It's not a true ToA experience unless you have to level your pants in the rain.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #134 on: February 12, 2013, 12:01:03 PM

Doesn't spending points to upgrade an item instead of replacing it preserve the gems? That seems like a pretty big upside to me.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #135 on: February 12, 2013, 12:07:31 PM

Doesn't spending points to upgrade an item instead of replacing it preserve the gems? That seems like a pretty big upside to me.

You can't "level Up" an item to ever be equal to the next-highest drop.   So LFR gear leveled-up is still 5 ilevels below Normal Mode gear and the same for Normal -> Heroic.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: February 12, 2013, 07:13:18 PM

It's not that they have to release it because of the cash. They have to release it because they have nothing else in the pipeline except D3 expansions.
They've got a Protoss SC2 expansion too.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: February 13, 2013, 09:41:38 AM

Valor and Justice points not to be converted after all
(warning: link to official WoW forums)

I guess they got some negative feedback  awesome, for real

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #138 on: February 13, 2013, 10:11:59 AM

It's a good move. The traditional means of converting was to prevent hording, but now they have actually 2 artificial caps to stop that, which is sort of  Ohhhhh, I see. in and of itself.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #139 on: February 16, 2013, 11:59:58 AM

Looks like the new bonus boss in the heroic tier is going to have limited attempts. Given that devs outright said that limited attempts didn't work well in Wrath, I'm a bit  rolleyes to see them show up again. Not that it really matters because almost nobody will ever fight this boss until the next expansion, but it's still pretty funny.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Patch 5.2: Thunder, Thunder, Thunder, Thunder King Ho!  
Jump to: