Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:22:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Wall of Fame -- aka the condom wall 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wall of Fame -- aka the condom wall  (Read 11364 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: December 23, 2012, 11:45:23 PM

99% of discussions attempting to define art hit the "wall of shit" where someone says something really original like "what if I shit on the table and call it art, does that make me an artist?" and "how about if I draw a face in it, is it art now? Eh? IS IT?".

The art world has brought this on itself by making these sorts of questions legitimate when they should be ridiculous.

I would also say that if anything with artistic intent is art but not good art then clearly when people argue whether or not something is "art" what they are really arguing is whether or not it is interesting and worthwhile art, not whether it is "art" by definition in that you totally were trying to create art when you took a dump in a bowl.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: December 24, 2012, 12:57:23 AM

The art world? I don't think there's a central committee out there deciding what counts as art.

edit: if anything, I'd say this is what democratization of art leads to. We've gone way beyond commercial and religious illustrations of the 17th century (the most uncontroversial form of art you could imagine today).

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:02:33 AM by jakonovski »
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #107 on: December 24, 2012, 06:46:48 AM

The art world? I don't think there's a central committee out there deciding what counts as art.

No, but there are several local and state organizations that do, and give grants as such.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: December 24, 2012, 12:45:25 PM

edit: if anything, I'd say this is what democratization of art leads to. We've gone way beyond commercial and religious illustrations of the 17th century (the most uncontroversial form of art you could imagine today).

There's no democracy in the art world. The average person has zero input on what gets put in museums. What is considered museum-worthy art is determined by a very small group.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: December 24, 2012, 12:55:27 PM

You could say the same about food, or any number of things, music, books, etc.

Also galleries these days are far more beholden to visitor numbers and so forth as metrics to work out who gets sacked and the like.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: December 24, 2012, 01:58:26 PM

No, but there are several local and state organizations that do, and give grants as such.

Point, but I'm pretty sure those are dealt out in a diversified fashion. Ie. the condom wall may get a grant and thus official recognition, but there is no agenda to push for more condom walls.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: December 24, 2012, 02:01:24 PM

There's no democracy in the art world. The average person has zero input on what gets put in museums. What is considered museum-worthy art is determined by a very small group.

I agree with lamaros, there's plenty of popular input. Art has never been more diverse, something I do not believe would happen if there was a small cabal pulling the strings.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: December 24, 2012, 05:23:42 PM

I agree with lamaros, there's plenty of popular input. Art has never been more diverse, something I do not believe would happen if there was a small cabal pulling the strings.

A "small cabal pulling the strings" sounds sinister but that is how museum curation works, and unlike things like books and music (which are controlled by publishers to some extent) there are very few avenues for artistic recognition or distribution outside of curated establishments.

Traditional art is something that must be viewed in person, in a controlled environment, in a relatively small number of establishments across the globe. It benefits very little from digital replication, and stuff like performance art and art installations benefit even less. It also depends very heavily on the individual tastes and whims of private collectors.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Wall of Fame -- aka the condom wall  
Jump to: