Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:01:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The day the Twinkie died. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The day the Twinkie died.  (Read 10052 times)
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: November 27, 2012, 06:55:50 AM

You must be lucky. The Publix a few blocks from my house has the most unhappy poorly treated staff I have ever seen.

PM me the location of your store and any specific things you've seen?  We take customer complaints very seriously.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #71 on: November 29, 2012, 08:57:24 AM

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HOSTESS_BANKRUPTCY

In court Thursday, an attorney for Hostess noted that the company is no longer able to pay retiree benefits, which come to about $1.1 million a month. Hostess stopped contributing to its union pension plans more than a year ago.

$2.3 billion/year in revenue, but it can't handle a million a month in pensions. And it wants approval for $1.8 million in executive bonuses, larger if they conclude the liquidation promptly  swamp poop
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #72 on: November 29, 2012, 09:06:32 AM

Yep, they were fucking over the workers. No shock there.

It's another reason why I don't believe in pensions. Even if the economics are good, they are out of your control and run by people who can absolutely screw you over.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #73 on: November 29, 2012, 11:20:06 AM

The only problem with pensions is we allow companies not to fund them.

While that can be a problem, it's certainly not the major problem. The major issue is you're essentially guessing on when people die. Which when you think about it, it's really stupid when the alternative is allowing people to just put their money in their own accounts.

I thought that was why actuarial tables exist?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #74 on: November 29, 2012, 12:41:49 PM

We covered that. Paelos doesn't seem to understand the core concept of Actuarial Science or statistics. Which oddly seems typical for accountants.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #75 on: November 29, 2012, 01:08:40 PM

We covered that. Paelos doesn't seem to understand the core concept of Actuarial Science or statistics. Which oddly seems typical for accountants.

I understand it fine. It has nothing to do with the fact that no matter how much education or number cruching you try to put on it, you are suggesting you can predict the future (which itself is so fucking arrogant it makes me cringe). Within tolerable limits, I have no problem with it being used to establish long term government plans, metrics for demographic shifts and insurance coverage of a population, or other government goals.

I do have a problem with it in corporate enterprise pensions because A - I don't believe in the long term feasibility of a corporation like I do a government, B - the populations of a corporation are smaller and can be less predictable than a larger scale population blended amongst a government pool, and C - Human elements such as funding concerns, economic concerns, mismanagement, and general greed can bypass any actuarial results and fuck up the entire enterpise.

EDIT: And I should also add that this whole pension thing is a relatively new concept when you think about our economic development. I'm not entirely sure that it's the way to go because of the uncertainty involved and the discounting that actuaries do on the pension models for present value in regardes to funded/underfunded.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:18:41 PM by Paelos »

Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: November 29, 2012, 02:22:06 PM

Sigh,

The unions knew Hostess would screw them out of their retirement so no real surprise there.  Neither is the bosses trying to give themselves bonuses.

I am just waiting to see who buys up the pieces and how much of each chunk they are going to buy.  Also I am curious how many people will end up jobs with the new companies that were laid off.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: November 29, 2012, 02:36:17 PM

My friend's dad is in that union and I was told that none of them expect to get their jobs back.  There's maybe a 10% chance that the facilities that Hostess used will be brought back online.  At least in the Chicago area.  He is not one of the ones happy that they pushed too hard and lost everything.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #78 on: November 29, 2012, 02:39:39 PM

Lost everything seems like a mischaracterization. Lost current job to save (already earned) pension. Not sure that's a bad trade, but I'm not in that position.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: November 29, 2012, 02:44:22 PM

Lost everything seems like a mischaracterization. Lost current job to save (already earned) pension. Not sure that's a bad trade, but I'm not in that position.

The problem is they lost the job and the pension. In liquidation pension is in the unsecured debt category so if they get any of the pension money it will be pennies on the dollar.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #80 on: November 29, 2012, 02:48:12 PM

Hm, that is not what I gathered from Goumindong's earlier post about the payout order.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #81 on: November 29, 2012, 02:53:17 PM

Yeah, I've seen a number of people in this thread say somebody is going to buy the factories and rehire everybody, but that's not what I'm reading.  Consensus seems to be some companies will buy out the brands and then just expand production at their current facilities, with minimal hiring at those places.  General consensus seems to be that almost all the hostess factories are going to be shuttered for good, along with the employees who worked at them.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #82 on: November 29, 2012, 03:02:08 PM

Part of it was that it was following a script that the unions have seen before.  Management pushes a company to the brink, demands concessions from unions, loads on more debt and sucks more money out of the pensions, lather rinse repeat until there's nothing left but the brands, the debts, and the fat wads of cash management extracted.  And it wasn't like the process had just barely started with Hostess, it was well along.

So the unions put on the brakes when there was still something left for the worker's pensions.  Hostess was going to die, in 5 or 10 years, no matter what.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: November 29, 2012, 03:22:03 PM

In one of the articles I read a "unnamed potential buyer" was touring one of the factories and asked about hiring the people that were currently working there.  I suspect at the very least a few bakers will be offered jobs.  Due to the fact that they need somebody experienced in showing people the proper way to make these products.  However I imagine there will be very very few people that get jobs from that.

Teamsters most likely will be better off due to the extremely high demand for truck drivers right now.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #84 on: November 29, 2012, 03:31:58 PM

There's a high demand for truckers, there's a very, very low demand for teamsters.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: November 29, 2012, 05:11:52 PM

Yeah, I've seen a number of people in this thread say somebody is going to buy the factories and rehire everybody, but that's not what I'm reading.  Consensus seems to be some companies will buy out the brands and then just expand production at their current facilities, with minimal hiring at those places.  General consensus seems to be that almost all the hostess factories are going to be shuttered for good, along with the employees who worked at them.
Any business would have to be high to consider taking on the union employees and history\debt that comes with it, especially since Hostess management painted them with the brush of "these guys forced the company out of business."  No, what is for sale is the IP and recipes for the brands, that actually has intrinsic value.  Same with the plants and factories, those are real estate and have an actual value.  The employees and their pension?  Not something another company is going to buy unless they feel sorry for them and we all know that doesn't make good business sense.  At best some people from the union and management will find other jobs in the companies that buy the remaining brands, but chances are it won't be anything like what it was.  It will be starting over again.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #86 on: November 29, 2012, 05:33:06 PM

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/07/154519830/which-workers-need-unions-and-which-dont

If yall have some time, that's a great piece on the union situation in the united states done by NPR from several angles. It's essentially a transcript that I found very informative.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #87 on: November 29, 2012, 08:04:43 PM

Hm, that is not what I gathered from Goumindong's earlier post about the payout order.

He was talking out of his ass.   That may be how stuff is liquidated in a textbook voluntary wind down, but this is a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. There is no such thing as "input costs funds" in the bankruptcy liquidation process. The issue is the priority of the claim  under Section 507.  Unfunded pension liability is generally treated as an unsecured creditor which is pretty far down the list of who gets paid in a Chapter 7. The PBGC has tired to get their costs of scooping up the underfunded pension included as priority administrative expense but courts have generally shot it down.  This shit gets really complicated here because of the multi-employer plan and that it is also covered by ERISA. The pensions are likely going to be paid in some form or fashion but it may be reduced or even terminated depending upon how the MEPP and PBGC want to handle it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:17:38 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: November 30, 2012, 06:47:01 AM

Any business would have to be high to consider taking on the union employees and history\debt that comes with it, especially since Hostess management painted them with the brush of "these guys forced the company out of business."  No, what is for sale is the IP and recipes for the brands, that actually has intrinsic value.  Same with the plants and factories, those are real estate and have an actual value.  The employees and their pension?  Not something another company is going to buy unless they feel sorry for them and we all know that doesn't make good business sense.  At best some people from the union and management will find other jobs in the companies that buy the remaining brands, but chances are it won't be anything like what it was.  It will be starting over again.

From an article I read the bakeries themselves are somewhat efficient and useful , while the distribution side of the business is the one that will be done away with. This is why the Bakery union went this route in hopes that a buyer will be able to pick up the production facilities (and it's already trained workers) and not the distribution side making it a worthwhile purchase. I guess we'll see.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #89 on: November 30, 2012, 07:04:49 AM

There's certainly a need for skilled labor. And a need for Ho-Hos around the holidays.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #90 on: November 30, 2012, 08:11:02 AM

There's certainly a need for skilled labor. And a need for Ho-Ho-Hos around the holidays.
fify
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: November 30, 2012, 11:10:12 AM

I am a total Ho-Ho hoe.  Particularly around the holidays.  The little Debbie version just doesn't cut it. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: November 30, 2012, 11:15:39 AM

I used to love these but they never really sold in my area.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: November 30, 2012, 11:38:53 AM

I am a total Ho-Ho hoe.  Particularly around the holidays.  The little Debbie version just doesn't cut it. 
This.  Now I'm craving Ho-Hos.  I wonder if there's any in the vending machine here.  I haven't had lunch yet!

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #94 on: November 30, 2012, 11:50:14 AM

I like these at Christmas for some reason. Probably the tree colors http://www.littledebbie.com/products/ChristmasCakes.asp

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: November 30, 2012, 12:07:01 PM

I like these at Christmas for some reason. Probably the tree colors http://www.littledebbie.com/products/ChristmasCakes.asp

sugar crack!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: November 30, 2012, 12:45:00 PM

Those things...those things are evil.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #97 on: December 01, 2012, 12:52:53 AM

Those two last thingies must never have sold in any area I ever lived in because I've never seen them before!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The day the Twinkie died.  
Jump to: