Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 09:02:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The day the Twinkie died. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The day the Twinkie died.  (Read 10199 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

on: November 16, 2012, 11:00:05 AM

As a kid who grew up on stuff like Wonder Bread, Twinkies, and all the other Hostess/Dolly Madison snacks, it is a sad day.  

Story here.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 11:12:36 AM

I am totally getting some cupcakes for lunch.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 11:15:10 AM

Ouch, that's a lot of jobs lost.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 11:26:04 AM

Some other company will buy the name and the recipe and resume production shortly, I'm sure.  As long as there's demand there's no way that stuff's going away.

About a month ago we had a giant pile of Hostess stuff in the break room.  I had one of each thing and thought "welp, I think I'm good on that for the rest of my life."  Good timing.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 11:28:39 AM

My guess is that they were already on the skids because of the economic slump, since their brand is not dirt cheap and none of their products are nutritional staples. Then the collapse of the corn harvest this year (and the mediocre one last year) raised grain prices enough that they had nowhere to turn but labor costs. The brands will all sell, I'm sure, so the only lasting effect on the rest of us will be the lingering anti-union message: If you strike, you'll wind up on the street.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:39:21 AM

ONO!!!  What will they deep fry for dessert in the trailer park???

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 01:52:29 PM

Saw this this morning. I haven't eaten one in decades and now I have a craving for one. awesome, for real Ohhhhh, I see.

Also here's a nice article with a bit of history about it:

http://news.yahoo.com/happens-twinkies-really-away-202553538--finance.html
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 02:33:57 PM

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 02:37:44 PM

I was just at the store, all I got for myself was a couple Hostess cherry pies, but they were pretty much sold out.  I saw a couple people with like 5-6 boxes of twinkies and cupcakes in their carts.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 03:12:58 PM

Humorous.

Now.. if Hostess had stopped selling these at 2 boxes for $5 they might've had a better stance.   Speculation at the office is Lil' Debbie will buy the name rights up. I'd almost bet Wonder is a dead brand, but I'd want to know its popularity these days.  I don't see many people buying it anymore, even the poor folks can afford the cheap store brand of soft bread vs Wonder locally.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 03:25:09 PM

Wonder still sells pretty well in my area.  Then remember they also make like 3-4 other bread lines.  Mother Nature, Beefsteak, Home Pride, etc. 

If I'm going to get just some generic white bread I usually buy Wonder, cuz that's what I grew up with.  Then again I'm the only one in my household that will really eat anything besides just plain white bread.

I doubt Little Debbie buys them out, I think it'll be someone bigger like Kraft.  Although from what I read some Mexican company tried to buy Hostess before, I think they now have their opening.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 03:26:24 PM

Wonder bread is pretty much the standard, most abundant bread in Canada.  One of our super rich old money families owns the license here.  I have no idea how popular it is in the states but I wouldn't be surprised if the Westons bought the name.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 04:25:43 PM

Interesting notion I'd just heard on one of the NPR pieces and hadn't considered.  Hostess resisted branding or developing, well, anything beyond the initial products.  No multi-flavor Twinkees, Twinkee or Ho-Ho flavored Vodka, T-shirts, hats, etc.  They were a 1950's bakery mindset in a 2012 world. 

Also, as you mention, the Marketplace piece went off on the Wonder brand being big deal worldwide.  Lots of opportunities there that were never explored.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 04:32:37 PM

Another case of corporate darwinism, then?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 04:57:36 PM

Speculation at the office is Lil' Debbie will buy the name rights up.

Hopefully they change the formulas. Their stuff always did taste better than Hostess.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 05:20:43 PM

Another case of corporate darwinism, then?

It certainly seems like it based on that piece. We'll see as the analysts dig in, because with such a recognizable brand going under there's SURE to be tons of papers on this.

Speculation at the office is Lil' Debbie will buy the name rights up.

Hopefully they change the formulas. Their stuff always did taste better than Hostess.

Zebra Cakes!   Ho-Hos have always been my favorite Hostess, but I stopped enjoying them when they switched from sugar to corn syrup all those years ago.   I wonder at times if Little Debbie adjusted their recipes to account for the change while Hostess just swapped one ingredient and called it a day.   You really notice the difference.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 06:51:08 PM

People are fucking retarded. The sad thing is the 18,000 jobs. Someone will buy the brands and keep making fucking twinkies and ho hos; they aren't going anywhere.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 06:55:30 PM

I gather at some point they bought Drakes. About once a year we get a box of yodels. I'll miss them if nobody picks up the license.

NPR had an industry critter on who basically said "well what did they think, they did no updating for 50 years and didn't even position themselves as retro kitsch... wtf?!" and it's hard to argue there.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 05:37:55 AM

This turns out to be another Bain type vulture capitalism story.  (Not trying to move this to Politics but...)

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/26/hostess-twinkies-bankrupt/

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 06:33:46 AM

This turns out to be another Bain type vulture capitalism story.  (Not trying to move this to Politics but...)

You obviously did not read it.

From what I'm getting the hedgefunds involved tossed hundreds of millions of dollars into the company that spent 5 years in bankruptcy, trying to turn it around.  Pretty much it seems Hostess got stuck with MEPP payemts from companies no longer in business and was seeing declining sales. No one wanted to give them anymore money as they were burning 2 million dollars a week.

Someone will buy the assets (branding) and due to excess capacity the bakeries will almost certainly remain closed.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 12:34:29 PM

And the Teamsters don't want to budge because if Hostess pulls out of the MEPP's, the situation for every other company in them gets worse and the dominoes continue to fall.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 12:49:05 PM

You obviously did not read it.

From what I'm getting the hedgefunds involved tossed hundreds of millions of dollars into the company that spent 5 years in bankruptcy, trying to turn it around.  Pretty much it seems Hostess got stuck with MEPP payemts from companies no longer in business and was seeing declining sales. No one wanted to give them anymore money as they were burning 2 million dollars a week.

Someone will buy the assets (branding) and due to excess capacity the bakeries will almost certainly remain closed.

And you must've missed where the huedge funds paid themselves a nice high rate of return for the past 20 years while continually squeezing the unions for more concessions.  All while management failed to adjust to the changing market yet were recently granted 80% pay raises.

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 01:36:03 PM

Between the Mayan calendar and the death of Twinkies, this world has no hope at all.   ACK!

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 01:46:39 PM

Between the Mayan calendar and the death of Twinkies, this world has no hope at all.   ACK!

Hold me! ACK!
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 01:59:12 PM

Read the article.  Sucks for the workers, but why bother giving in to more management demands?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 02:20:09 PM

Baseline problem is the company was poorly managed, operating with antiquated equipment, and made desperate decisions to put duck tape on their leaking sales.

Their market is shrinking, and they have no way to respond. That being said, from a pure accounting/worker standpoint, pensions are the dumbest thing ever. They sound awesome that you can get a set payment no matter what, but it's not economic reality, and the companies usually can't or won't support them. People may bitch about 401ks not getting great rates of return at times, but I guarantee you that having your own account under your own name that's untouchable by the company and held by a 3rd party TRP is much better for your long term retirement unless you just happen to be old right now.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 03:14:52 PM

Ya, looks like a suicide spiral with both parties fully participating in its demise.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 03:35:35 PM

Yeah I'm gonna miss the NHL.....oh wait what?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 04:58:55 PM

sad

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 05:07:15 PM

National Hostess League?  why so serious?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 01:12:35 AM

Baseline problem is the company was poorly managed, operating with antiquated equipment, and made desperate decisions to put duck tape on their leaking sales.

Their market is shrinking, and they have no way to respond. That being said, from a pure accounting/worker standpoint, pensions are the dumbest thing ever. They sound awesome that you can get a set payment no matter what, but it's not economic reality, and the companies usually can't or won't support them. People may bitch about 401ks not getting great rates of return at times, but I guarantee you that having your own account under your own name that's untouchable by the company and held by a 3rd party TRP is much better for your long term retirement unless you just happen to be old right now.

Quiet you, I like my pension very much thanks. I have a thrift savings plan/401k as well, but I hate the idea of my retirement being contingent upon the stock markets not being retarded.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 06:18:39 AM

The only problem with pensions is we allow companies not to fund them.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 06:57:45 AM

Or states.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 01:39:49 PM

While that can be a problem, it's certainly not the major problem. The major issue is you're essentially guessing on when people die. Which when you think about it, it's really stupid when the alternative is allowing people to just put their money in their own accounts.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 05:07:31 PM

Ppl living longer and wildly optimistic expectations of future growth of investments

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The day the Twinkie died.  
Jump to: