Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 12:52:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2013  (Read 94899 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #245 on: May 31, 2013, 01:13:04 PM

Now wait a minute, you can't blame the guy for trading Wells, even Wells probably didn't think he was going to be any good anymore.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #246 on: May 31, 2013, 01:13:35 PM

I don't blame him for it, but it's sort of in a line of snakebit decisions.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: May 31, 2013, 01:14:40 PM

Actually now that I refresh my memory, Wells leaving was FANTASTIC for Toronto. He sucked ass for 2 years in Anaheim immediately after leaving. So that goes in the 'good' column for Anthropolous, not the 'bad' column.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #248 on: May 31, 2013, 01:18:42 PM

^ That. ^

Angels' fans were begging for Wells to be dumped. And Halladay was on the aging side and the team likely wasn't going to be playoff bound with or without him.

He was very active this offseason, it just appears as if all his moves blew up in his face.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #249 on: May 31, 2013, 01:23:08 PM

I still blame him for the coach hire.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: May 31, 2013, 01:23:58 PM

Anyway if you want the bullet point summary for Toronto sucking this year, Fordel:

- The pitching has been wretched. Their "ace" pitcher is at 5.18 ERA. (RA Dickey - who was one of their big splashy offseason moves.) Every starting pitcher they have suddenly sucks or is hurt.
- Players that they picked up who had huge upside but scary injury histories have gotten injured instead of paying off. Jose Reyes is the biggest loss, but him getting injured wasn't exactly unpredictable.
- A shitload of other players keep getting hurt too. They have like 38 million dollars in salary on the disabled list.

I'm going to go with the GM. And maybe the trainer and pitching coach.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #251 on: May 31, 2013, 01:27:47 PM

The bullpen is a fucking disaster as well, not just the starters. The Braves knocked them + the "Ace" around for 11 when they put in the good lineup.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: May 31, 2013, 01:30:56 PM

That's the score I was thinking off most recently, I saw it on the news ticker, Jays 3, Atlanta 11 (or whatever). Like we aren't just getting beat, we are getting slaughtered it seems.

Like, I know fuck all about baseball, but I'm pretty sure having the other team quadruple your score is pretty bad.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #253 on: June 04, 2013, 08:05:32 AM

Oh, Milton - If Only You Could Have Hit Like That With the Cubs

So yeah, Milton Bradley in trouble with the law for threatening and beating his wife, at least once because she asked him not to smoke weed in front of their kids. What a dumpster fire. I'm so glad the Cubs pawned him off on Seattle. Fuck you, Milton.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #254 on: June 05, 2013, 06:51:59 PM

Speaking of crappy pitching, the Giants have been pretty bleh in that department this season!

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #255 on: June 05, 2013, 09:05:59 PM

The Nats have also taken a dump lately with Strasburg now going on the DL.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #256 on: June 06, 2013, 09:30:06 AM

So any bets on whether or not A-Rod, Braun and crew get a slap on the wrist? 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #257 on: June 06, 2013, 09:40:50 AM

So any bets on whether or not A-Rod, Braun and crew get a slap on the wrist? 

If there's anything at all to this whole thing, anything they can remotely point at to say these guys were sold steroids, I expect 50 games each. Whether that will happen, I give about 50-50 chance. I do expect lawsuits and appeals if anybody gets suspended.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #258 on: June 06, 2013, 10:15:44 AM

Braun will get suspended for sure. He escaped on a technicality before, and I seriously doubt the MLBPA will advocate hard for a guy who's been on supremely thin ice already.

A-Rod will be tougher, especially if they got the information after the guy tried to blackmail A-Rod.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: June 06, 2013, 10:55:34 AM

2nd offense is 100 games, no?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #260 on: June 06, 2013, 11:10:42 AM

I just don't see any of these guys getting suspended.  For one, it's going to be very tough to prove, and two, baseball really doesn't want to see their stars get suspended.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #261 on: June 06, 2013, 11:21:43 AM

According to Braun and his agent, his name only appeared there because they sought out the clinic for consultation when his "tainted" sample was being challenged. If it turns out they have records of him buying shit, yeah, he's fucking gone for 50.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #262 on: June 06, 2013, 11:54:27 AM

He's pretty  much a douchebag.  He should be suspended for 50 just for that.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #263 on: June 06, 2013, 12:53:03 PM

I just don't see any of these guys getting suspended.  For one, it's going to be very tough to prove, and two, baseball really doesn't want to see their stars get suspended.

Disagree. Neither of these guys are well-loved nationally. I'm not sure A-Rod is even loved in his current town. Milwaukee will back Braun to the death because he took a smaller deal to stay, but they are also so far out of first in the Central that it's a perfect time to suspend him.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #264 on: June 06, 2013, 12:56:54 PM

I thought they were going to get people for 100 games if they were interviewed about connections to the clinic and later found out to be guilty.  50 for the offense and another 50 for lying about it to investigators.  

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #265 on: June 06, 2013, 12:57:53 PM

I thought they were going to get people for 100 games if they were interviewed about connections to the clinic and later found out to be guilty.  50 for the offense and another 50 for lying about it to investigators.  

That's what I've read.  It will probably get negotiated down though as I'm sure the MLBPA will appeal.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #266 on: June 06, 2013, 01:14:27 PM

That's what I've read.  It will probably get negotiated down though as I'm sure the MLBPA will appeal.

I wouldn't be so sure of the appeals. They may be like contractually obligated to help the players appeal (which is where I think the lawsuits will start flying) but I don't think their heart will be in it. There's not a lot of good PR in defending a bunch of juicers.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #267 on: June 06, 2013, 01:19:53 PM

Not when the players specifically agreed to increased testing to weed them out.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #268 on: June 06, 2013, 01:55:50 PM

Disagree. Neither of these guys are well-loved nationally. I'm not sure A-Rod is even loved in his current town. Milwaukee will back Braun to the death because he took a smaller deal to stay, but they are also so far out of first in the Central that it's a perfect time to suspend him.

If my dad is any indication, Yankee fans are hoping A-Rod DOES get suspended, because fuck that choking asshole.

God Save the Horn Players
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: June 06, 2013, 01:58:18 PM

And because then Yankees ownership may have room to wiggle out of what may be the WORST contract in the history of baseball professional sports.

As a Red Sox fan I'm kinda hoping, in a wierd way, he doesnt get suspended.. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: June 06, 2013, 02:00:18 PM

Interesting article on abolishing the MLB draft and replacing it with something else

Personally I think the replacement system would fuck over small market/shitty teams if player's actually have a choice where they can sign (or drive up costs of signing those players it keeps them shitty).

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #271 on: June 06, 2013, 02:14:14 PM

You know how to solve most of baseball's problems?

1 - Put in a salary cap on the damn thing (the fact we still don't have one when every other major league does is absurd)
2 - Get rid of 100% guaranteed contracts

That's it. That's all you have to do.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: June 06, 2013, 02:15:53 PM

IMO it's the other sports that should be implementing guaranteed contracts, not baseball that should be getting rid of it.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #273 on: June 06, 2013, 02:26:46 PM

IMO it's the other sports that should be implementing guaranteed contracts, not baseball that should be getting rid of it.

There's a fine line. I don't like the NFL system of nothing being guaranteed really because it creates ridiculous misunderstanding of what and who is getting paid.

OTOH, far too often baseball teams get crippled by bad contracts and there is zero relief. There is no reason, as an example, that a contract should be completely independent of performance like Dan Uggla, or Arod, or any player that's totally stealing cash. A simple vesting percentage that would allow teams to buy out of a contract would be fine.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: June 06, 2013, 02:47:04 PM

I don't think teams should be able to weasel out of their stupid mistakes, myself. It's a competitive thing - no takebacks!

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #275 on: June 06, 2013, 02:54:18 PM

I don't think teams should be able to weasel out of their stupid mistakes, myself. It's a competitive thing - no takebacks!

For that exact reason of it being a competitive thing, I don't think players should be able to just quit on a team. There has to be some incentive to playing harder, just as there has to be some incentive to keep a guy on the roster. I would just like more incentive based compensation, not less.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: June 06, 2013, 03:00:24 PM

I think it's really rare for a player to actually quit on a team. There's not a big problem there that needs solving.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #277 on: June 06, 2013, 05:12:31 PM

I think it's really rare for a player to actually quit on a team. There's not a big problem there that needs solving.

If you had Dan Uggla, I think you'd feel different. Or Mike Hampton. Or maybe BJ, although I hope not.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: June 11, 2013, 06:14:20 PM

Just thought I'd mention that Toronto now has starting pitchers with the names Dickey, Johnson and Wang. awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #279 on: June 12, 2013, 08:51:34 AM

Is that because they all suck dick?  why so serious?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2013  
Jump to: