Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 19, 2021, 04:56:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rocksmith 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocksmith  (Read 96209 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #350 on: April 04, 2020, 01:02:55 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a new edition of Rocksmith since the next generation of consoles is coming this year (in theory). Seems like it would be a good time to put out a Rocksmith game that doesn't have 2014 in the title.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #351 on: July 15, 2020, 08:55:06 AM

Apparently there was some drama with a DLC creator that ended up with more drama and maybe a ton of CDLC: https://www.reddit.com/r/rocksmith/comments/hr4lqp/laceyb_never_existed_an_absolute_madlad_uploaded/

I'd be mighty careful with the download, but it seems to be legit from the comments.

tldr: fake account fake suicide real CDLC (like 14GB)

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: April 20, 2021, 01:36:03 PM

So I'm slowly getting more involved with the Rocksmith community, my main barrier being I generally just want to drink a beer and jam, not fuck around with a computer  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Check out RSMods, it's a nifty utility for the game that does a bunch of cool stuff. One nifty feature is that you can connect a Digitech Whammy DT pedal and using RSMods (somehow, I haven't done it yet because I'm poor again heh)...it will pull the tuning information from the song meta and apply it through the Whammy DT. Meaning no more retuning for those D Standard jams! Not sure if it would distort too much for the C# Standard stuff on bass, but having easier access to alternately tuned DLC is attractive for me (I'm lazy af).

Another one is the CF Song Manager, this tool can fix a ton of stuff with CDLC and update the older DLC to more modern conventions. Fixes a few bugs, as well.

A caveat: don't let your song library go over 2000 songs, it will start getting unstable. I'm getting close now and have to actually take notes on who I need to vote off the island to make room for new stuff!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #353 on: June 12, 2021, 10:56:03 AM

i got an email today from Epiphone (the Les Paul I bought years ago was an Epiphone) and it revealed what I guess is the next Rocksmith project - ROCKSMITH+. From what I can gather from the email, it's:

Over the past 10 years, nearly 5 million people have learned how to play guitar and bass using the award-winning Rocksmith Method. Now they’re making it even easier with Rocksmith+, an interactive music learning subscription service that takes the guesswork out of music mastery. This new version also lets you rock out with your favorite Gibson, Epiphone, and Kramer models.

Even the world’s premier music learning software needs fine-tuning. So they’re inviting you to test it out free and make Rocksmith+ even better. Pick up your acoustic, electric, or bass guitar, and register for the Rocksmith+ PC closed beta today, where you’ll get early access to exclusive features like:

Realtime Feedback - Connect your instrument for accurate note detection
Riff Repeater - Control song speeds so you can practice at your own pace

So a subscription Rocksmith live service. I'm not sure how to feel about that. What's worse is that the email tells me I can sign up for the Closed Beta but all the clicks just take me to Ubisoft's home page.
An Expansive Library - Choose from a vast and ever-growing library of songs

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: June 12, 2021, 11:46:08 AM

YUP we've been talking about it on the subreddit, some still of the gif here: https://theriffrepeater.com/leak-gibson-email-confirms-new-rocksmith-closed-beta/

TAB VIEW!!!! I hope it doesn't suck, because I've been pretty vocal about it for years, heh.

If they do the subscription correctly, it's genius. What I wrote over there:

If they're opening up that huge catalog and adding weekly DLC packs, it makes a great deal of sense.

I have an old pal who picked up bass (he's a percussionist) and Rocksmith. He only ended up with maybe 20 hours /played, and a bunch of those were with me co-op on guitar. It was cool but not very cool...because he had NO DLC. It's a dramatically different experience.

Expecting him to amass thousands of songs like some of us do (bwahahha) is unrealistic. However, I could see someone like that picking up a sub and getting into the game.

As long as purchased DLC is still a thing, old DLC is still supported, and CDLC still works, I am excited for the prospect of a subscription service for those who need or want it.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #355 on: June 12, 2021, 12:58:34 PM

Being that it's Ubisoft, I'm not sure hopeful they are going to allow CDLC stuff on the sub service. Just based on their recent track record, it seems more like a way to close off the ecosystem and get a sub fee.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #356 on: June 12, 2021, 04:19:47 PM

New features in Rocksmith+: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DngQ2d4QNs

Might want to just listen if you are the type of person to get easily distracted by people who wildly gesticulate with their hands on every syllable spoken.

Also, mostly useless trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mNf_H2qHsA
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #357 on: June 12, 2021, 04:38:24 PM

Being that it's Ubisoft, I'm not sure hopeful they are going to allow CDLC stuff on the sub service. Just based on their recent track record, it seems more like a way to close off the ecosystem and get a sub fee.
Yes, this is an always-online game so it would be very easy for them to prevent non-authorized songs and arrangements (it has a built in arranger for licensed songs) from showing up in your library.

Scroll down to the FAQ section and question "Can I Play Rocksmith+ Offline?":

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/rocksmith/plus/game-detail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #358 on: June 12, 2021, 10:22:40 PM

$15 a month, always online, won't be able to add new songs (so no customs).

That's most likely a no for me.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: June 13, 2021, 11:03:54 AM

Yeah, hard pass and let's hope they don't retroactively nuke 2014. My current plan is to keep my old gaming pc off the Internet and use that as a RS2014 CDLC machine. Even if they shut down the forge tomorrow, I've got a comfortable amount of songs (and I've likely spent more on DLC than pretty much any sane person...which creates some salt right about now).

Also, since the game already has latency issues, the fact that they say the 1st way to connect your guitar is by using your phone's mic...ye gods. This smacks of a game developed in a legalized weed state during a lockdown.

According to a CDLC tracker with access to the tool, they like it but have already complained about not being able to share charts. He didn't get specific, and I think that given the level of access there is definitely some koolaid drinking happening at the top of the RS community right now (apparently the top charters/tubers have been working directly with the team on the tool). Apparently charting at UbiSF is going to be first pass by AI, then fixed by hand...that's another route to 'millions' of songs...

THAT SAID, there does seem to be some upsides to the new tool, due to the licensing changing (allegedly) to per-label, instead of per-song/artist. Because the tool would have access to (ostensibly) any song from that label, which can be massive (which is why they're touting millions of songs). Downside is that also means large black holes in licensing, and expiring deals without purchase means tracks disappearing.

Still seems more downside than up, given that even the folks deep in koolaid keep asterisking and parenthesizing nuggets of shit in their manna.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #360 on: June 13, 2021, 11:44:33 AM

THAT SAID, there does seem to be some upsides to the new tool, due to the licensing changing (allegedly) to per-label, instead of per-song/artist.

That smacks of "artists getting fucked out of royalties again" to me. Hope I'm wrong but it's Ubisoft and record labels, neither of which have any sort of positive track record on which to base a benefit of the doubt.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #361 on: June 13, 2021, 09:33:07 PM

I'm not super happy about the subscription stuff but there does seem to be some pretty cool additions here, particularly for people just starting out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FZ4zQ03zGI

Like the Note by Note thing one of the beta testers here tries around the 8:16 mark should be incredibly helpful.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: June 16, 2021, 08:06:45 AM

Ok, initial drama phase over. Watching a bunch of beta stuff from some tubers I've watched in 2014, I'm....interested. There's still a lot I'm not a huge fan of, and some of the stuff I like needs tweaking (in tab mode, stationary playhead one bar in, with scrolling tabs, and I'd like to see maybe even 4 staffs onscreen at once for the look-ahead (I'm a shape-based reader, so scanning ahead for shapes helps me a ton!).

Anyway, I still think licensing will be a mess, I already hate the crowds being removed completely. I liked RS1's crowds/venues/encores and wish that the 'other' half of the target demo would get some love. The learners are getting a ton of stuff and while the tab mode is great for experienced players, the ability to chart is cool but also kinda feels like crowdsourcing, but the whole way a lot of us play is just plugging in and running through a setlist...and having the crowd reaction was a far better feedback than the score, because that's how you actually gauge how well you're playing /to the room/, which has been completely removed.

But I'll still be checking my inbox multiple times a day for that beta invite. I'm happy to have my offline CDLC box as a backup, but ready to see what the new world brings.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rocksmith  
Jump to: