Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:47:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662394 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2415 on: May 25, 2021, 02:47:32 PM

Performance being bad on planets is only a minor gripe in the face of how poor many planets look compared to the old ones.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2416 on: May 25, 2021, 10:03:35 PM

Performance being bad on planets is only a minor gripe in the face of how poor many planets look compared to the old ones.

In two play sessions (admittedly limited experience) I've only seen amazing new-look planets. Seems to me the terrible-looking ones I've seen in screenshots are a texture bug that needs fixed, perhaps only on certain hardware.

If some people are enjoying this:

And others are complaining that it's like this:

There's clearly not a lack of new planetary rendering capability, but a mismatch between different hardware or different planets, leading to a fix relatively soon.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2417 on: May 26, 2021, 12:19:52 AM

This is the video that worried me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WftxpkiPeL4

It makes a lot of valid point and supports them with evidence. If they are bugs, then great! I am an Elite Dangerous supporter.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2418 on: May 28, 2021, 10:41:38 AM

Interesting bug, heh: space-legs lobby seems to have detached from the station.  Reddit post with screenshot.

May be related to the recent bug where stations began drifting out of their orbit point, which they turned into a news blurb.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2419 on: July 12, 2021, 02:25:12 PM

David Braben announces that Odyssey will now be delayed on Xbox and Playstation while they fix it on PC. Ominously, he gives no dates whatsoever.

... we have spent a lot of time discussing and re-evaluating our previous plans and we have made the decision to prioritise the core PC experience for Elite Dangerous. Ultimately, we believe it is right to focus our efforts on the core Elite Dangerous Odyssey experience for the platforms that we have released on, before opening up to more. We know that the work that we do to improve players’ experiences of Elite Dangerous Odyssey on PC will benefit other platforms in the future, but the dates and details of the console platforms are going to change. We do not want to rush into confirming any dates or changes this has on our console release, as we must remain fully focused on the core Elite experience. Only when we feel that the foundation of the PC release is solid, will we be able to re-lay our console roadmap on top.

I haven't been playing. My experience in Odyssey hasn't been terrible, but I didn't find it compelling. It offers a huge timesink to gather materials to get engineers to upgrade your on-foot combat gear, and I'd rather be doing spaceship stuff. I'll be back - I even bought an X52 HOTAS in an ebay sale.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2420 on: July 20, 2021, 10:33:39 AM

i'm sort of assuming that the work on E:D is pretty much wrapping up and there won't be much new content

and that's a shame because the only other offering provides a grand total of 5 hours of new content every 6 months
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2421 on: March 24, 2022, 10:11:40 PM

Catching up this thread, because last night I played some Elite Dangerous for the first time in many months. I also still listen to a weekly podcast called Lave Radio about the game and its community.

After six months of silence, they ended development on consoles. You can still play on Playstation and Xbox (up to the Horizons expansion), but they won't be releasing the Odyssey expansion for those because they just couldn't make it work. They now want to "move the story forward" now and will do so only on PC. It's been a total fuckup, but consoles are only 20% of the player base.

The community is pretty sure that what "move the story forward" means is ground combat with the Thargoids (the enemy alien race in Elite games since 1984). We've only ever seen Thargoid spaceships, but Odyssey introduced on-foot ground combat on planetary surfaces between humans (it's basically a first-person shooter added to a spaceflight simulator). They've pretty much refined the ground combat game and stabilised Odyssey on PC, and humans vs humans seems a bit vacuous when there's an alien race out there.

This potentially huge war is likely the last blast of major Elite Dangerous content and it could get very interesting... but only on PC.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #2422 on: March 25, 2022, 01:24:38 AM

I was (foolishly) hoping for pretty much exactly the opposite, that they'd announce Odyssey for PS5 and that it would have full support for the upcoming VR.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2423 on: March 25, 2022, 02:14:07 AM

I was hoping for the opposite too: less ground combat and more space shipping. I'd be fine with ship interiors as a bonus but focusing on the FPS? God please no.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2424 on: March 25, 2022, 03:07:51 AM

I kind of agree, because Odyssey is ridiculous. It played to the opposite of Elite Dangerous's strengths. I wish they'd added the Andromeda galaxy (which is prominent in the Elite Dangerous sky and thought to be the Thargoids' home) and made more space sim instead of adding a FPS.

But the existing Thargoid planetary bases are really something (the ones that look like crashed motherships). I am interested in being part of a ground war in environments like that. If they involve ships in air-ground combat, that would make it cooler. They've already got the Thargoid air cover in the game, so you shouldn't need to get out of your ship if you don't want to.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2425 on: August 10, 2022, 11:36:51 PM

A very big thing happened in Elite. A long plot leading to an attempt to genocide the Thargoids (the aliens at war with humanity) has ended with a cutscene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0MFmREngXM

The big question is: what's the sound at the end of the video? School of thought says it's a Thargoid mothership (said to be massive, never seen before).

The anomaly left on a planet by these events remains in the game and visitable. Anti-Thargoid weapons do not function there, and the Thargoid ships are more aggressive now. I haven't played for months, so I don't really know any more.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2426 on: August 11, 2022, 05:06:51 PM

Guardian weapons take constant damage in the solar system where the event occurred, basically the best anti-Thargoid weapons and defenses we had will be destroyed in-system within a couple minutes of flying around.

There's an unannounced community goal (quest) where if you take Guardian weapon tech to a Thargoid base (not the one at the event) and plug it in, the technology gets corrupted, with several of the lore NPCs paying money for the players to then bring them this infected technology for analysis.

There's also possibly a trail of clues that may progress the story.

As far as the sound at the end, or other audio bits in the messages, the devs are notorious for hiding clues within the frequency of audio, to be discovered by applying an audio spectrum analyzer to the sound file.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 05:13:18 PM by ajax34i »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2427 on: January 10, 2024, 03:19:32 PM

Very good fan-made trailer (3 minutes) from 10 years of Elite: Dangerous, from space exploration up to the war with the Thargoids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99FMBNn1jZU

One of those live-vicariously-through videos for people who don't want to spend a decade in a sandbox. I fell away from it after the Odyssey expansion launch, but I still listen weekly to the Lave Radio podcast to keep up with the very worthwhile community.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: