Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:07:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662308 times)
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #2345 on: March 25, 2021, 06:10:36 PM

I was stupid/curious enough to pay for the Alpha Access Version of Odyssey so I’ll probably get back into Elite once that becomes available on March 29th.

Given that we’re currently screwing up our Covid response with the end in sight I’ll have plenty of time in 3rd wave lockdown to play it.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2346 on: March 25, 2021, 08:47:25 PM

Or I could blow up on landing and lose it all.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Earth-like worlds in huge trinary systems. A ringed water world that is a moon of a gas giant. Ammonia worlds that could be the undiscovered home of the Thargoids, the alien invaders. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Awesome. I will say this. And probably expire IRL if that happens.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2347 on: March 26, 2021, 06:13:37 AM

Odyssey alpha launching on 29th. Being done in phases. Here are the phases.

Phase 1 sounds crashy. Everything else being undated sounds suspiciously like it's not even implemented in pre-alpha yet.

PHASE ONE: FIRST STEPS

New Commander issued for every participant
In a single star system to maximise player interaction
Remlok Maverick scavenger suit available for purchase
Access to Takada and Kinematic weapon sets
Apex Interstellar available for player travel
Variety of activities available including salvage and collect /delivery missions.

PHASE TWO: COMBAT

Open up 20LY of space for travel
Players can now purchase ships
Manticore Dominator combat suit available for purchase
Faction conflicts will be enabled
Frontline Solutions available
Missions for neighbouring systems available, including trading with settlements and POIs

PHASE THREE: EXPLORATION

Increase playable ‘bubble’ to 50LY
Includes unexplored planets, allowing for First Footfall experience
Supratech Artemis explorer suit available for purchase
Players can analyse organics with the Genetic Sampler tool

PHASE FOUR: COMPATABILITY

Snapshot of players’ Commanders added to ALPHA
Carriers, ships, fighters and SRVs can be used
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2348 on: April 01, 2021, 03:48:09 PM

Tale, that paint job looks awesome!!!! I wouldn't touch it! Well, not intentionally. I'd probably end up hitting the wrong button late some evening while refueling or outfitting.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2349 on: April 01, 2021, 05:36:06 PM

Agree. I think it will also disappear next time I blow up. Not that I'm going to to, of course. Something like 60 jumps left to do, next time I get a chance.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2350 on: April 05, 2021, 11:34:18 AM

I made it! Docked at Explorer's Anchorage near Sagittarius A*.

Seeing other ships in supercruise was weird. I hadn't seen that effect since 2019. When I landed, I fitted a Supercruise Assist module, which wasn't in the game when I departed the bubble.

Selling my alleged billions in exploration data netted 250 million, which makes sense when I actually think about it, because it was perhaps 25 pages' worth (50 systems per page) averaging about 10 million credits per page.

My paintwork is at 0% and I've kept it that way. Ship integrity also 0%, but I fixed that. The decal that is my expedition reward is available! Can't even see it on 0% paintwork however - will put it on another ship later.

Now all I've got to do is travel another 25,899 light years back to Sol, which would be another 404 jumps for my ship. Hopefully I can hitch a ride with a fleet carrier instead.

Here are my exploration stats.

Selling one page of data.

View of paintwork on the outfitting screen.

Decal and how it (doesn't) look on my current ship, Scarpa.

0% paintwork and integrity
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2351 on: April 05, 2021, 12:14:51 PM

gg
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2352 on: April 05, 2021, 12:38:04 PM

Ship integrity also 0%, but I fixed that.
Does that mean if ship integrity went negative your ship would've blown up? And were there opportunities to repair on the way back or was that station the first chance to do so?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2353 on: April 05, 2021, 04:20:34 PM

Ship integrity also 0%, but I fixed that.
Does that mean if ship integrity went negative your ship would've blown up? And were there opportunities to repair on the way back or was that station the first chance to do so?

If you've seen the second season of The Mandalorian, Mando flies around for a while in a battered ship held together by some cables and temporary patches, and it rattles when he lands. Integrity is a bit like that. It won't make you blow up, but if you start to take damage, you're not going to last as long as you should. It takes quite a long time to occur, and it's the sort of thing you fix occasionally when you're at a starport. There's no way to fix it when you're out in the black AFAIK.

It's got its own separate slot next to the detailed repair interface, so some people forget about it and many newbies don't even know where to find it. There's a "Repair All" on the main interface at starports that fixes everything *except* integrity. If you're doing a lot of combat and dying, you're respawning in a new ship each time (it's an insurance claim), so you don't have to worry about integrity. Here's an old developer explanation.

So basically ship integrity is a hit point modifier that decreases the Y on the X out of Y (X/Y) on total hit points such as at 100% integrity and 50% hull you would be at 50/100 and at 0% integrity you would instead be at 50/70 assuming you were damaged before your integrity dropped and assuming you only had 100 hull hp to begin with.

(Edit: A ship built for exploration is squishy, like a caster in an MMO. Every component is engineered for low mass and maximum jump range, so it's useless in combat or a crash.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:27:43 PM by Tale »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2354 on: April 05, 2021, 04:29:40 PM

Ah cool, thanks.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2355 on: April 05, 2021, 05:49:53 PM

Ah, this makes me feel so good and yet so sad that I didn't do the same kind of thing. I really should have played this thing.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2356 on: April 05, 2021, 07:02:44 PM

As said, it just makes you a little more fragile. Unless you PvP there's no combat out in the black, unless something has changed in the past year? And things like lithobraking and falling asleep in front of a star tend to kill you either way, so it's not a crippling debility. Probably the single biggest impact is it makes that first landing back in civilization that much scarier, trying to navigate the slot and avoid collisions with crazy pilots when you haven't done all that stuff in ages and now you're flying in what suddenly feels like an enormous eggshell.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2357 on: April 05, 2021, 08:04:14 PM

Unless you PvP there's no combat out in the black, unless something has changed in the past year?

The last time I died in Elite Dangerous was on the outward journey, to a PvP ganker at Sagittarius A*. Fortunately I'd just taken off from Explorer's Anchorage, which was brand new (Frontier implemented it for the expedition, with a community goal for the participants), so I respawned there instead of back in the bubble.

I had logged into Open to see other ships on the expedition. Messed around for a bit, decided to take a look at the Sag A* black hole, forgot I was still in Open, and bam... interdicted, defenceless, dead. Some well-known gankers made the journey out there, hoping to catch a few people who'd just flown 26,000 light years and hadn't landed yet. They got a few.

There was indeed a slow NPC ship in the slot when I tried to land this time. I'd done a few practice dockings on my alt account, so I reacted in time and slowed to his speed.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 08:07:30 PM by Tale »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2358 on: April 06, 2021, 01:18:59 AM

For those enjoying reading about the exploration side of Elite Dangerous - many stories and visuals here: https://www.reddit.com/r/eliteexplorers/
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2359 on: April 07, 2021, 06:47:59 PM

Somebody found lots of alien plants growing on a moon in the Odyssey alpha (the upcoming Elite Dangerous on-foot expansion).

As for me, it turns out there's a Discord where Fleet Carrier owners announce where and when they'll be travelling, for anyone who wants a ride. Apparently there are fewer at the moment due to the Odyssey alpha, so I either have to do 170 jumps to Colonia to meet up with a carrier departing for the bubble on April 20 (hit or miss due to my real life schedule), or wait for someone to announce a Sag A to bubble trip. At the moment I'm thinking Colonia.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 07:00:22 PM by Tale »
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2360 on: April 11, 2021, 12:24:18 AM

I'm trying to remember, is PvP enabled in private groups or only in Open?  I can't remember how the Fuel Rats handle the issue of being lured out by a ganker.  Seems like Carriers, and people hitching rides on them, will have the same issues?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2361 on: April 11, 2021, 05:32:16 AM

I'm trying to remember, is PvP enabled in private groups or only in Open?  I can't remember how the Fuel Rats handle the issue of being lured out by a ganker.  Seems like Carriers, and people hitching rides on them, will have the same issues?

PvP IS enabled in private groups. I'm in Mobius and they can't turn that off - only patrol, address PvP claims, and kick offenders out (which they do pretty quickly). I do believe they allow PvP in some limited form and only when parties agree - but it is frowned upon.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2362 on: April 11, 2021, 12:41:17 PM

PvP IS enabled in private groups. I'm in Mobius and they can't turn that off - only patrol, address PvP claims, and kick offenders out (which they do pretty quickly). I do believe they allow PvP in some limited form and only when parties agree - but it is frowned upon.

Braben's initial refusal, then reluctant, grudging and incomplete "solutions" to PvP and griefing, combined with his premium pricing at release, are why I waited until years after release before buying it, on sale.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #2363 on: April 11, 2021, 05:17:51 PM

I keep reading through this and wondering why I'm not playing it. Does it have auto dock/undock? I know that M/KB and trying this killed a game for me.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2364 on: April 11, 2021, 05:22:22 PM

IIRC there's a thing you can buy that automates docking.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2365 on: April 11, 2021, 08:20:18 PM

I keep reading through this and wondering why I'm not playing it. Does it have auto dock/undock? I know that M/KB and trying this killed a game for me.

IIRC there's a thing you can buy that automates docking.

Yes, you can install a docking computer. You fly near to your desired landing point, request docking, gain approval, then slow down and the docking computer kicks in and performs the landing. Here's a video of someone doing it (the jerky mouselook is because the pilot is bored, looking around, because the computer is flying the ship). Here's another video (this one has an annoying wait in a queue, which is a downside of the docking computer at busy stations).

I understand newbies now get a docking computer in the starter ship (when I were a lad, dad just threw you in the water and said "swim"). When you then upgrade your ship you have to buy a docking computer for it if you want that function to continue. Being able to dock manually is a desirable skill for a player, however. You'll want to use that docking computer slot for another piece of equipment instead.

The docking computer plays The Blue Danube waltz (you can turn the music off), which was also the case in the original game in 1984, which was then a nod to the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey which uses that in its first space station scene. One good thing about docking computers is they add no mass to a ship, which means if you've got the spare slots available, it's worth taking one on an exploration trip because it won't reduce your jump range and you'll be able to relax about the landing when you get back (unlike me in the posts above).
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2366 on: April 11, 2021, 09:10:08 PM

I don't usually play in VR (I've got an Oculus Quest 1), but it was kind of cool looking out at my travel-damaged paintwork in VR.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2367 on: April 12, 2021, 10:26:23 AM

One thing I used to see people do is launch and then sit in the station without exiting as that would cause nothing to enter the station till you left. so any people using autodock would be stuck outside the station. Nyuk nyuk nyuk oh how evil.

You would get blown up after 10 minutes of waiting around, so they would exit after 9 minutes come back in and repeat. Ho ho. Ho.

What I used to do is just go through the letter box then hit autodock. Avoided that nonsense and saved time.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2368 on: April 12, 2021, 03:22:16 PM

I literally have never been able to get out of the tutorial for launching smoothly in the game after hours so I think I'm just really a stupid gamer in some important respect.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2369 on: April 12, 2021, 04:19:40 PM

I literally have never been able to get out of the tutorial for launching smoothly in the game after hours so I think I'm just really a stupid gamer in some important respect.

I don't want to be one of those "convince you to waste your life on my game" people, but have you tried the new, new player experience? There's a newbie area now, rather than just a set of tutorials. You don't leave the newbie zone until you want to.

Edit: Here is the community's favourite vlogger ObsidianAnt on the New Player Experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXu_Bk4y0Ww
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 04:26:19 PM by Tale »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2370 on: April 12, 2021, 05:24:40 PM

only 6 years into the game... let's make a starter area with tutorial modes! What a novel idea!  why so serious?

But on a serious note, good for them for finally coming around and realizing that maybe the game could use some handholding stuff at the beginning instead of the stupidity that it was.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2371 on: April 12, 2021, 05:46:24 PM

For me, with M&K, the hardest part about manual docking is not hitting the boost key. I have no idea why, but that thing is like a magnet to my finger! I've never died or collided because of it (or from any other cause while docking/undocking for that matter - swapping a little paint with the sides of the mail slot on the other hand ... Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? ) but there's been a couple close calls!  The next hardest part is being patient and not accumulating fines for zooming around too fast or too close to other ships.  Slowpokes!  If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk!

If you only play solo the jerks clogging the stations aren't there, right?  Yet another reason to avoid Open like the vermin infested cesspool it just might be (depending on time and place).

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2372 on: April 13, 2021, 02:02:21 PM

Yes, Solo means a total lack of other people improving your gaming esperiance.

Hic sunt dracones.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #2373 on: April 13, 2021, 03:15:24 PM

I know that you’re being sarcastic but for the people not in the know, public means that you‘re probably being repeatedly murdered by a Cmdr Harry Potter in a tricked out Imperial Cutter while you’re trying to do community goals in your rusty space lemon.

Not my cup of tea so I’d always recommend either private group or solo.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2374 on: April 14, 2021, 09:42:50 PM

For those following along at home, I have made it to Colonia (second centre of humanity, still 22,000 light years from Sol) from my previous stop at Sagittarius A*.

To do this, I jumped 14,000 light years (more than 200 jumps for my ship) which was monotonous gameplay because I did nothing else. On my previous travels I was breaking this up by exploring the systems I passed through (at least a rudimentary scan, with further scans if there were financially worthy planets and moons). But this time I just needed to reach Centralis near Colonia before April 20 to meet up with a player-run fleet carrier 'Sleeper Service' that will save an additional 15,000 light years of travel, so all I did was jump, scoop fuel from a star, jump, scoop fuel from a star, jump....

Here are pictures of the carrier and details of the ride offered. I've got a few days now to mess around in the Colonia region before the carrier departs.

Sleeper Service (H2T-LHV) - CMDR JonSatriani
Shipyard and Outfitting available
Free to all commanders

Next scheduled trip - all times are UTC (in-game time)
Colonia -> Collection of Wonders -> Bubble | 20-21 April

Carrier remains in Centralis until departure
Tuesday 20 April, 07:00: departs Centralis non-stop to Collection of Wonders, ETA 14:00
Wednesday 21 April, 07:00: departs Collection of Wonders non-stop to LHS 2687, ETA 15:00

More information, including jump-by-jump route plans, is available here: https://www.notion.so/jonedwards/Sleeper-Service-H2T-LHV-passenger-information-e9e09a8fbfb64cc292522c653d1ea6cb

A shipyard and outfitting are installed, so each passenger may store up to 40 ships and spare modules up to your usual limit. Please note there are no other services as standard, so if you need to refuel, repair or rearm, please do so at a nearby station before departure.

Sleeper Service journeys are free and will always be free, but many kind and generous commanders offer to donate tritium as a thank-you for the service. This is gratefully received but in no way required for boarding. See passenger information notices for refuelling and donation opportunities.

The carrier jumps as efficiently as possible throughout my working day. I am not necessarily able to make timing or course adjustments. Every passenger is responsible for ensuring they are on board before the next jump. There are no jump alerts on Discord so please, if you leave the carrier between jumps, make sure you are back in plenty of time before pad lockdown.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 04:45:34 AM by Tale »
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #2375 on: April 15, 2021, 04:40:16 PM

So when Odyssey hits Elite: Dangerous basically has almost all of the features in the production build that Star Citizen is still working on eight years into development.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2376 on: April 15, 2021, 06:08:28 PM

So when Odyssey hits Elite: Dangerous basically has almost all of the features in the production build that Star Citizen is still working on eight years into development.

It has always felt that way. After years of Elite being a standard-priced epic space trading, combat and exploration game with more than 40 ship types, landable planets and 400 billion star systems, Star Citizen was like "pay real money for each of a handful of ship types you can land pointlessly in our alpha featuring a handful of buggy star systems".

Frontier is a big company now. Trades as FDEV on the London Stock Exchange, 600 employees, and numerous product lines: Elite, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo, etc. There were at last count more than 100 devs working on the Odyssey expansion. The Odyssey alpha seems to be proceeding on schedule, too (phase 3 began today), which should really shame Cloud Imperium further.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2377 on: April 15, 2021, 08:27:48 PM

Fucking Sleeper Service. Banks would be proud.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2378 on: April 16, 2021, 08:12:39 AM

I could have been interested in Squadron 42, the single player story driven part of Star Citizen, which was supposed to be ready years ago, and has a real single player story which is something that Elite doesn't have. But we all knows how that went. I mean, we are talking about a game that they mocapped and had actors record their lones for 6 years ago. Some of them will be dead by the time it releases (ha ha sure).

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2379 on: April 20, 2021, 01:17:42 AM

I'm currently being jumped through space, while docked inside the fleet carrier Sleeper Service (at 500 ly per jump instead of my own 64 ly). It's a two-day trip in real time... the player piloting the carrier is doing a jump every 21 minutes during his day job, and he'll log off at the end of his day. The "overnight" spot is a system known as Collection of Wonders, which has several cool sights to see. I've been there before, so I don't really care.

I'm mostly logged off, doing real life stuff while this is happening. Just decided to log on and hear the crew announcements inside the carrier, which are incredibly atmospheric. The sound and animation of the jumps, inside and outside, are something to behold. Put your headphones on and experience it. (edit - actually, in the one I'm on, it's a woman's voice making the announcements, not a robot voice)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 05:34:01 AM by Tale »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: