Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2020, 04:31:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 366356 times)
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2310 on: July 13, 2020, 03:15:05 PM

I'm going to guess OEVASY SG-Y D0 - Beagle Point, per his images a couple posts up.  There probably are carriers going there and back to Colonia on a regular basis.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2311 on: July 19, 2020, 09:14:24 AM

Damn you all.. I had to break out he HOTAS to fire up this game after a 2 year recess. Lots of new shit to learn....

"I want to watch it all burn in an orgy of smashed Coke machines and weasel rape." - HaemishM
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2312 on: July 22, 2020, 08:53:30 PM

So how much is a carrier anyway? Both to buy and to maintain? I haven't played since just before they released. 

I have played a fair amount of No Man's Sky recently. It's not the laughable empty shell of a prototype of a proof-of-concept it launched as, and it has a lot of different fun and interesting things to do in the game. Much more than E:D.  But I hate it's graphics, and pretty much everything in space is, at best, a super-simple arcade game, at worst a sad cartoony joke.  I'd love to have a cross between E:D and NMS, with E:D's graphics and physics and spaceflight simulator and stellar forge and mapping, but with something like NMS's quests and crafting and base building and mining and overall planetary experience.  Oh, and without E:D's square star clusters.  I find I like NMS more the less time I spend in my spaceship. Which is a really sad thing to say about a space travel game!

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2313 on: July 23, 2020, 10:30:55 AM

I'm still on the other side of the galaxy in an Asp Explorer, having made only a few hundred jumps towards home since becoming a father a year ago.

I'm determined not to use the explodey means of getting home, as I have possibly billions worth of exploration data on board. But when I left, the Krait Phantom was brand new and Supercruise Assist wasn't in the game yet.

gimme your current location and i'll see which fleet carrier is nearest you with shipyard or outfitting

Thanks - sorry for the long delay on replying. I avoid logging into Elite Dangerous if I'm very tired as I'll just fall asleep and crash my ship into a sun... and that's how life has been lately. Logged in tonight and I was in PYRIE EURK AS-J C22-0
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2314 on: July 30, 2020, 10:04:23 PM

I'm still on the other side of the galaxy in an Asp Explorer, having made only a few hundred jumps towards home since becoming a father a year ago.

I'm determined not to use the explodey means of getting home, as I have possibly billions worth of exploration data on board. But when I left, the Krait Phantom was brand new and Supercruise Assist wasn't in the game yet.

gimme your current location and i'll see which fleet carrier is nearest you with shipyard or outfitting

Thanks - sorry for the long delay on replying. I avoid logging into Elite Dangerous if I'm very tired as I'll just fall asleep and crash my ship into a sun... and that's how life has been lately. Logged in tonight and I was in PYRIE EURK AS-J C22-0

Checking
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2315 on: July 30, 2020, 10:26:10 PM

Your nearest is the DSSA Distant Worlds [V2W-85Z] currently hard stationed at Beagle Point. it has Refuel, Repair, Armoury, Redemption Office, Shipyard, Outfitting, Secure Warehouse, UC and won't ever move as long as it is part of DSSA

There is also DSSA Tartarus [XBQ-LVV] at EISHAW DB-W E2-0

So how much is a carrier anyway? Both to buy and to maintain? I haven't played since just before they released.

5 billion to buy, then you can keep purchasing upgrades for its stock availability. They cost some millions each week, but as long as mining hauls are as serious as they are, you can earn yourself a year of operating costs in ... like, a week or two
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2316 on: July 31, 2020, 09:11:03 PM

so, millions per week upkeep ... does that accrue while you are offline or only while playing? I'm not buying into something that will go poof on me if I don't log in regularly to keep it fed.  I'm old enough to know myself and know that not only do I have a short attention span, but I *really* resent being forced to login just to maintain something I've already earned.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2317 on: August 01, 2020, 09:37:33 AM

I have the impression that Frontier have put that in as a cash sink to drain the stupid amounts of money out of the economy. Which is frankly dumb. I think they probably fear a player revolt if the mining rewards were kicked down to a rational level

Personally, I don't think I would go near one for that reason.

Sometimes irony is pretty ironic.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2318 on: August 01, 2020, 11:12:14 AM

I really liked Elite: Dangerous. I haven't played it in quite some time because it strayed too far into the "work at it like a second job" to have anything cool territory.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2319 on: August 01, 2020, 04:53:18 PM

Everyone wanting to fly around in their own personal guild hall is the problem, not the upkeep.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2320 on: August 01, 2020, 10:23:25 PM

Well, I'll admit they are just another "meaningless" mudflation symptom if everyone has one.  But I'm not sure that's entirely a bad thing. I'm not much of a fan of epeen elitist bragging rights bullshit. And I couldn't care less about having my own "guild hall" with respect to something designed for multiple players.  However, I was REALLY liking the idea of hauling my small collection of ships around, even out into some lonely back corner of the galaxy somewhere. I would MUCH prefer a mechanic that makes moving one very expensive, but just owning one would only require a small maintenance fee which only applied when you were actually online or maybe each time you launch from it or something.  Again, no way am I getting hooked into a scenario where I could lose the damn thing and all my investment if I lost interest or got busy IRL for a few months.  If that happened, I for sure would never play again, nor ever give them any more money. As it is, it's quite possible I may well never give them any more money anyway solely because that mechanic is there blocking my access to something I would otherwise likely very much enjoy. 

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2321 on: August 02, 2020, 01:22:40 PM

Everyone wanting to fly around in their own personal guild hall is the problem, not the upkeep.

Why?

If the game's content is structured around having a variety of ships that need to be moved around a galaxy, why is it a problem that lots of people can do it?

Elite's problem is keeping up with players consuming content. Exploration and procedural galaxy is a great trick for it. If they can fill that galaxy with shit to do it makes sense for players to have a way to haul their shit to the content.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2322 on: August 02, 2020, 05:38:48 PM

Not saying you are wrong but you could already pay for your ships to be moved to a station, so there already was a way in game

Sometimes irony is pretty ironic.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2323 on: August 02, 2020, 06:37:41 PM

Not saying you are wrong but you could already pay for your ships to be moved to a station, so there already was a way in game

[you could only summon ships, not send ships]
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2324 on: August 02, 2020, 07:24:35 PM

[you could only summon ships, not send ships]

and only to existing stations, not to your own private corner of the black

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2325 on: August 02, 2020, 08:02:51 PM

And billions aren't really that much, once you've bootstrapped into your first serious ship, making any arbitrary amount doesn't take that long. I could probably buy a carrier with the data I'm sitting on from my wanderings in the deep black. I've been stockpiling them by accident, just not cashing in except for faction rep.

Or, like 20 hours sucking up Low Temperature Diamonds.

--Dave

--Jello Biafra: "If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve."
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2326 on: August 02, 2020, 08:39:46 PM

Like the changes to exploring... so nice not having to fly to each and every planet. But flying out to see a black hole I remembered why I never got into exploring... whole lotta nothing with the occasional cool screenshot moment. And worse than that is having to fly all the way back in order to do anything else the game offers.

As for Carriers - no thanks. It's nothing but a money sink and I am not invested enough to work for the upkeep. I liked having come back after a year or so and having everything right where I left it - considering this game burns me out pretty quick at times. I am having a blast revamping my Cutter/Conda/Python/Clipper. Even dabbling with kitting out a Vulture just to merit farm for Powerplay for the packhounds. I did the prismatic grind by doing the postal supply carrying for smurfette and now really only use Bi-weaves... still, have a 4,5,6 engineered prismatics for a trader if I ever see fit to do that.  I do hate the 4 week waiting period, but meh...

"I want to watch it all burn in an orgy of smashed Coke machines and weasel rape." - HaemishM
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2327 on: August 06, 2020, 01:00:09 PM

Billions aren't that much, if you have them.

Recent changes to mining reduced the amounts found in hotspots, and without that one diamond asteroid, it's back to more reasonable levels.  

But they also fixed the station supply and demand for commodities, so you can't SELL your diamonds, at least not for 1.6 or even 1.1 million per.  400k per ton, sure.  

Anyway, as a side-effect, the supplies of tritium priced at 4k have been bought out, and the supplies at 30-40k are diminishing.  Colonia had very few stations; the carriers there basically wiped out all NPC sources of tritium.  

You pretty much have to mine your tritium for your carrier now.

20,000 tons of tritium for a trip to Colonia and back.  About 800 million to 1 billion credits to buy the Tritium, if you're in the Bubble.  Or mine it at approximately 150 tons per hour (if you find a hotspot), if you're not in the Bubble.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 01:04:19 PM by ajax34i »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: