Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:55:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662378 times)
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #2275 on: June 28, 2019, 04:10:35 AM

There should be no constant "Warning! Heat!", and there should be no dipping in and out. I think I had two heat warnings total on my trip to Beagle Point. Build to prevent this, e.g. take the lowest possible power plant and engineer it up.

As I said my last major exploration efforts took place during the Commanders update era (early 2017). I took four long range trips with 20.000+ LY. The first one with my Python (Yes, I know but I didn't know better at the time). Basically a tourist mission to a 15k LY sightseeing spot. The second mission was to the far side of the galaxy far beyond Sag A* with the DBX, third mission was another 20k LY mission on the AspX and then a road to riches trip on the AspX to make money and get the few remaining points towards Elite Explorer rank. Took me about two months total I think.

My problem was that if I built an AspX for maximum exploration efficiency I absolutely loathed flying it (I'm not even a fan of the handling when it's fully tricked out in A rated components and engineered). If I built it so that it was at least tolerable then scooping became a hassle because heat built up much quicker and you usually had to dip in and out of scoopable range two or three times due to heat build up. Which made the refuel, charge FSD, jump cycle much more annoying.

The DBX was better suited for me because I liked the handling much better than on the AspX even with a DBX that was completely optimized for exploration. I could basically park that thing in the corona of a star at zero throttle and it barely got warm and it was much more nimble. I also had a very lucky engineering roll on the FSD. Didn't mind the longer scoop time all that much because I usually spent a lot of time on the map screen anyway scanning for lucrative planet discoveries.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2276 on: June 28, 2019, 05:42:25 AM

*hits "Like" on post above and leaves it at that*
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #2277 on: June 28, 2019, 06:18:01 AM

Thank you.

For me having a ship that was actually fun to fly around the galaxy was more important than the additional downtime. Which is why I don't really get why people explore in a Conda. A full explorer Condo is about as nimble and easy to steer as a fully loaded oil tanker helmed by a drunkard. Yes, you can potentially engineer one for huge jump range but the thought of wrestling that thing to beagle point and back is not something I'm looking forward to.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2278 on: June 28, 2019, 12:13:00 PM

I get that, the way the AspX flies like it should be shedding random bits of hardware instead of engine trails. That's why I kept the Orca. The AspX has an undeniable advantage in making a long crossing, but it feels janky.

The Orca, on the other hand, is a luxury yacht that a gentleman adventurer who already made his pile flies about while pretending to do Science. The SRV bay replaces the swimming pool, it's a hardship but it was that or the virtual reality tank, and what's the point in travelling to new systems if all there is to look at is stars and planets?

For me, the Anaconda was just a no. I calculate transit speed by "time to travel 1000 LY", factoring in the additional time to maneuver around the star and refueling time. Cutting your fuel capacity to only 4 jumps or less to get another few LY range is a false economy, and if you need an entire minute to get out from behind the star to make the jump, it doesn't matter that the jump was 10 LY longer.

--Dave

Edit: I will say, with the "Neutron Highway", 6 jumps worth of fuel is about right (normally I want 10-12 max jumps worth). You have to stop every 10 jumps to repair your FSD anyway, and since not every jump is going to be for max distance, that works about to about a tank full. Run low on fuel, short the next jump to a scoopable star, and drop out of cruise after clearing the star to repair. 9000 LY from the bubble, 12000 to go.

Edit2: I have arrived. Saw a lot of those cubical star formation artifacts on the way, got sick of blue swirly stars. Neutron jumps are certainly a faster way to travel, but also a PITA.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:59:39 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2279 on: June 29, 2019, 10:31:02 PM

That's some interesting points about the Orca. I'll have to kit one out and try it before I head too far out. After all, the Beluga has turned out to be my favorite mining ship (so far) so ya never know! LOL  It will be hard to give up the visuals in the Asp though. I don't have VR, but I love rubbernecking around with a view of over 180 degrees side-to-side and close to that top to bottom.  Being able to look down around your feet makes landings a whole lot easier too, above 1G. My biggest complaint with the Phantom was the stupid bulkheads cutting off your view from eye-level up to each side. It's a trivial thing but it's one that gets you over and over and over again if you're actually out there to look at the sights.

I do think running cool is very important. I didn't have an FSD booster in my Phantom and I went for a cool build so it wasn't minmaxed for range. I certainly would have liked the booster range, but I really didn't miss the 2-3ly loss in range due to building for cool instead of minimum weight.  And even then I still used quite a few heat sinks, enough to need to synthesizie reloads a couple times, and I had two launchers.  Mostly that was while I was learning about, messing with and often colliding with white dwarfs and neutron stars though. Also there's a type of red star (T Tauri maybe?) that seems to have you drop in much closer to the exclusion zone and overheating area than all the other star types.  That one surprises me still sometimes, though I haven't actually hit one in ages.  I did come close in the Type-9 just because the damn thing turns so slow.

And I'm still Harmless Combat rank, but I'm about to level up and can no longer claim that I've never fired a ship weapon in combat. I've melted a couple NPC pirates now (and rammed one to death LOL) in my Type-10 if they come challenge me solo, though I haven't been brave enough to take on a wing of pirates yet.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2280 on: June 29, 2019, 11:24:17 PM

When I'm out exploring, I filter T Tauri stars out. You can't scoop them, they never have planets. the only thing they are good for is getting fried because you tried to refuel or stranded because you waited until you were out of fuel to fill up. When I'm scanning, I skip everything below K (except neutrons/black holes) because they rarely have anything interesting enough to pay for the stop.

I used to drive-by scoop, grab a little fuel on my way around a star, now I just go to 90 degrees, get around it, and wait until I am sucking fumes. I've yet to hit the disruption line on a neutron, and I just bounced through 100+ in a row. I never carry heat sinks, the proper solution is "Don't hug the star". I have had to repair a little heat damage, but not recently.

Realized something about the Fermi Paradox looking at the sky in the vicinity of Colonia: Earth/Sol is in a sparse, backwater section of the galaxy. There's nearly no sources for 'high energy' cosmological events in our immediate vicinity. The only A class within 20 LY is Altair (16.7 LY away), no known black holes or neutron star pairs (nor remnants of OBA supernova). There's probably 100+ within the same radius of Colonia, . Having a supernova that close is Very Bad, and most worlds are going to experience that kind of event from a close neighbor on a regular basis.

We're very close to an inter-arm rift, in a very thin stellar neighborhood, and accordingly we have very little risk of being fried to the bedrock, even on timescales of billions of years. Maybe we haven't heard from anyone because only isolated systems like ours have the stability to develop intelligent life?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2281 on: June 30, 2019, 03:35:14 PM

I've long considered many of the assumptions used for calculating the probability of intelligent life and the resulting Fermi "paradox" to be wildly optimistic. So much guesswork involved, and so many unknowns ignored. The universe is an incredibly dangerous, inhospitable place. Just the amount of radiation sloshing around alone is inimical to life in most places (that aren't intergalactic voids, and I'm not sure about them) even without extraordinary events like supernovae and more mundane extinction-level events like meteorites and solar flares limiting how much time is available for intelligence to evolve before extinction hits. I think the original formulation ignored the near-mandatory requirement of a magnetic field/shield (not to mention absolutely no data to make even an educated guess as to the probability of such), and even the parameters of the fabled Goldilocks zone are coming under scrutiny recently and may well be much narrower than was originally thought. I personally also think our large close moon was a huge factor, the tides really do drive the circulatory system of the planet.  Not to mention all the stuff out there we don't know about yet, almost all of it more likely to be disadvantageous to life than otherwise.

As for the T Tauri stars and other undesirables, I went back and forth on filtering them while exploring. If everyone else ignores them, it's easier to get first discoveries, but while that's a nice little Skinner-box pellet, it's not really very satisfying anymore after the first dozen or so.  I'm more interested in seeing at least one of everything out there to see, preferably finding them rather than being led to them via guided tour, and finding cool sights and getting good pictures of them. And I'd be thrilled to find some new interesting thing that nobody else had seen yet, but I know that's extremely unlikely. So when you say T Tauri stars never have planets, is that hyperbole or actual fact? Because I thought I'd seen some with planets, but could be wrong.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2282 on: June 30, 2019, 04:11:03 PM

I've long considered many of the assumptions used for calculating the probability of intelligent life and the resulting Fermi "paradox" to be wildly optimistic. So much guesswork involved, and so many unknowns ignored. The universe is an incredibly dangerous, inhospitable place. Just the amount of radiation sloshing around alone is inimical to life in most places (that aren't intergalactic voids, and I'm not sure about them) even without extraordinary events like supernovae and more mundane extinction-level events like meteorites and solar flares limiting how much time is available for intelligence to evolve before extinction hits. I think the original formulation ignored the near-mandatory requirement of a magnetic field/shield (not to mention absolutely no data to make even an educated guess as to the probability of such), and even the parameters of the fabled Goldilocks zone are coming under scrutiny recently and may well be much narrower than was originally thought. I personally also think our large close moon was a huge factor, the tides really do drive the circulatory system of the planet.  Not to mention all the stuff out there we don't know about yet, almost all of it more likely to be disadvantageous to life than otherwise.

As for the T Tauri stars and other undesirables, I went back and forth on filtering them while exploring. If everyone else ignores them, it's easier to get first discoveries, but while that's a nice little Skinner-box pellet, it's not really very satisfying anymore after the first dozen or so.  I'm more interested in seeing at least one of everything out there to see, preferably finding them rather than being led to them via guided tour, and finding cool sights and getting good pictures of them. And I'd be thrilled to find some new interesting thing that nobody else had seen yet, but I know that's extremely unlikely. So when you say T Tauri stars never have planets, is that hyperbole or actual fact? Because I thought I'd seen some with planets, but could be wrong.

I've never seen one, and I can't find any mention of any, but what complicates it is that the actual T Tauri system the type is named for is not a T Tauri type star in ED (It's a scoopable G with several planets). But T Tauri stars should really have huge planetary nebula (giant ring systems), and they don't, so....

M and even L systems often have planets, but they're almost always Icy Bodies or Rocky Ice, and comparatively low counts, nothing terraformable or gas giants with complex satellite systems of their own. I did find a bunch of Earthlikes around a Y once...but it was orbiting an F.

I tend to go deep where almost everything is unscanned, and then it is just matter of how many stops I can make before it gets old and I run back to civilization. Since I have a 95+% chance of being the first to every system, skipping the ones unlikely to have anything interesting or bankable works for me. I've noticed that most of the OBA's have been scanned even 3000+ LY out, presumably because those are most likely to have the black holes and neutrons that pay so well. But now that I'm in Colonia and can't swing a cat without hitting a dozen, I can probably find some fairly close that I am first to. But before I did that, I'd take a flier in a weird direction and go really deep (15K from the nearest settled system). I have more cash than I need, so the only in-game incentive for scanning now is to buy faction boosts without a lot of mission running.

--Dave
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 07:04:28 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2283 on: August 08, 2019, 03:15:30 PM

So, a knee injury has made sitting at a desk extremely painful, not to mention my computer desk is upstairs. I just don't think I can handle the controls using a laptop on a la-z-boy so I haven't even tried, and subsequently haven't logged in to ED in two months. But I'm getting better, and I keep finding myself daydreaming about flying through space and seeing cool sights and such.

I'm not even playing and I feel the dark calling me!  awesome, for real

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2284 on: August 08, 2019, 04:04:51 PM

I'm still in Beagle Point because our first child was born in late June, so now when I finally get that moment to fire up a game (between like 9:35pm and 9:40pm), my eyes close before I can do a single jump. I'm thinking of inching towards Colonia over the next year or so, and this is why I was never worried about the slowness of the next Elite Dangerous content update. Pleased that I had already picked this renowned "Dad" game and hope it will be a hit with the boy.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2285 on: August 08, 2019, 04:10:45 PM

lol parenthood

Welcome to the club.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2286 on: August 23, 2019, 07:47:19 AM

Fleet Carriers operated by players are coming in December. They are basically moving space stations, with 16 landing pads where you can yours and your friends' ships landing, rearming, refueling, and using different services based on what kind of carrier you outfit, like mining, mercenary, exploration, etc. Awesome stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNNj97HznUU

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2287 on: August 23, 2019, 09:33:18 AM

Jings

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2288 on: August 23, 2019, 07:49:41 PM

hm, I wonder if that other space sim will be whipping up a new batch of RL-expensive unplayable-at-this-time virtual spaceships to distract the true believers

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2289 on: August 26, 2019, 10:15:14 PM

Thinking about it, an A-rated combat equipped Corvette or Cutter can easily run over a billion. A fleet carrier can *carry* 8 of those, plus 8 smaller ships and has it's own armor and firepower on top of it, and may even be indestructible?  I will be surprised if they go for anything less than 100 billion, and absolutely flabbergasted if they are as little as 50 billion which I saw some of the fanboys calling for.  Honestly I'd expect something in the 200-500 billion range, though I'd hope for less since I can't imagine ever having that much money myself. 100 billion, maybe.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2290 on: August 27, 2019, 01:07:36 AM

Money is fairly easy to come by, it's just another grind goal if the price is that high.

Not that I'm saying I'd do such a thing, of course.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #2291 on: August 27, 2019, 01:22:12 AM

Going by the numbers I see on screen whenever I catch a streamer streaming Elite, we'll probably see two dozen of them on launch day. Fully tricked out.

That game has a serious case of inflation going
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2292 on: August 27, 2019, 08:55:46 AM

I have maybe 5B banked (plus about that much in vehicles), and that's mostly the product of a week's work. Somebody with the right brand of OCD could easily build up hundreds of billions, and some of the long running player factions like Hutto Orbital Trucker's Association could probably make it look like small change.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2293 on: August 27, 2019, 04:52:19 PM

ANyone that does not think there will not be a traffic jam of these things on day 1 is incredably nieve. People will already be beavering away to get the purchase price, and will have been for weeks.

Hic sunt dracones.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2294 on: August 27, 2019, 05:00:30 PM

I might be one of those people even! LOL  But yeah, other than money what other non-nuclear tools do they have to make these things at least somewhat less common than Sidewinders?

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2295 on: September 12, 2019, 07:20:47 PM

I finally moved my spaceship from Beagle Point.... even further away from Sol. The blackness is even blacker and the Milky Way even fainter. Will post screenshots when back on my gaming machine.

Made it to Oevasy SG-Y d0 (aka Ishum's Reach) which is 547.52 ly further than Beagle Point. Now all I have to do is fly 65,647.34 ly back to Sol and not crash before landing somewhere. This is a challenge with the sleeplessness of early parenthood... there were failed attempts to leave Beagle Point due to falling asleep mid-jump.

Nearest station is Explorer's Anchorage near Sag A. Might head for Colonia instead.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:23:56 PM by Tale »
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2296 on: September 13, 2019, 06:49:14 PM

Sag A is pretty much on the way to Colonia from Beagle Point isn't it?

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2297 on: September 14, 2019, 12:35:01 AM

Not really. I could go to Sag A and then Colonia. But I've just come from Sag A. While I could spend the whole of either journey in nothing but unexplored systems, Beagle Point to Colonia will take me through far less-trodden parts of space.

Beagle Point to Sag A

Beagle Point to Colonia
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2298 on: September 14, 2019, 12:56:37 AM

Made it to Oevasy SG-Y d0 (aka Ishum's Reach) which is 547.52 ly further than Beagle Point. Now all I have to do is fly 65,647.34 ly back to Sol and not crash before landing somewhere.

Looking back at the Milky Way.

Looking in the opposite direction.

Pretty much the edge of the map.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2299 on: September 14, 2019, 01:35:53 AM

Damn.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2300 on: September 22, 2019, 07:03:30 PM

Dammit Tale, those pics from the edge of the galaxy are making me want to head out again!

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2301 on: January 15, 2020, 07:28:20 PM

So I jumped back in to Elite over the weekend.  Woke up on a planet outside the sphere with Guardian ruins. I think I was trying to get the Guardian FSD booster or something.  No clue how to even drive the rover any more, much less fight in it. No clue how to take off either!  why so serious?

So, a few hours later, after finding my keyboard cheat sheet, watching a couple videos, and running through the new tutorial, I jumped back in again again, tooled around a little in the moon buggy, then took off in my trusty AspX "I'll Be Back".  I haven't found the screenshot button again yet, so no new pics.

I flew the dozen hops or so back to my home base, re-learning how to fly, land on planets, scoop, scan, and plot routes along the way.  Re-learned how to request landing permission and land in stations at the end too, didn't even lose any paint.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Swapped to my orcaminer "Greed is Good" and headed out to the Hyades double paininte place and re-learned how to restock, repair, laser mine, dump limpets and avoid interdictions.  To the tune of about half a billion credits in three runs over an afternoon and evening.  Definitely got the landing in stations thing down again, didn't catch a fin a single time coming or going.

Supposedly there was a patch yesterday that changes the economy a bit, which might have some effect on the outrageous profitability of mining. Or not. I haven't checked yet.

I feel the call of the black.  I want that Guardian FSD booster first, but I don't want to fight for it. Hmm. Maybe I'll just go mine some more?

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2302 on: January 15, 2020, 07:48:13 PM

If you're going exploring, get that booster. It's a stupid mechanism for obtaining it, but doable, and you only need one for a permanent 10 ly boost to all jumps (he said, stalled on the wrong side of the galaxy - I've been playing mostly Ghost Recon Wildlands between baby-wrangling).

(edit) P.S. I intend to get back to the bubble later this year, in time for the next major expansion pack/season pass.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:16:56 AM by Tale »
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2303 on: January 16, 2020, 05:36:21 PM

Yeah, I need to bite the bullet and just get it over with.  I'll be happy to have done so once I've accomplished it for sure. But I really hate timed missions of any kind any more.  Just too much stress in my life already to be adding adding another stressor as part of my relaxation/entertainment.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2304 on: June 03, 2020, 07:44:33 AM

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2305 on: July 08, 2020, 10:00:53 PM

psa: the krait phantom is the most enjoyable exploration ship
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2306 on: July 09, 2020, 04:21:21 PM

I finally got around to trying this.

It is very pretty, also where were lateral thrusters when I needed them 1984?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2307 on: July 09, 2020, 06:17:27 PM

I'm still on the other side of the galaxy in an Asp Explorer, having made only a few hundred jumps towards home since becoming a father a year ago.

I'm determined not to use the explodey means of getting home, as I have possibly billions worth of exploration data on board. But when I left, the Krait Phantom was brand new and Supercruise Assist wasn't in the game yet.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2308 on: July 10, 2020, 05:57:27 PM

You can check with these guys to see if there's a carrier near you, for docking, repair, etc.  Also, if you're near or can get to Colonia, there are carrier shuttles happening, park your ship at one, log in next day and you're in the Bubble.  
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2309 on: July 12, 2020, 02:51:54 PM

I'm still on the other side of the galaxy in an Asp Explorer, having made only a few hundred jumps towards home since becoming a father a year ago.

I'm determined not to use the explodey means of getting home, as I have possibly billions worth of exploration data on board. But when I left, the Krait Phantom was brand new and Supercruise Assist wasn't in the game yet.

gimme your current location and i'll see which fleet carrier is nearest you with shipyard or outfitting
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: