Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662325 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2170 on: January 22, 2019, 07:19:01 PM

From my experience, you want Thrusters and FSD first.  After that, it's really, really up to you - If you're a fighter, you'll want shields and pew-pew and then other 'combat' stuff upgraded.  The trick to getting the mats is to get yourself to some of the spots that drop the big ones (Dav's Hope, Crashed Anaconda, other oddities) and then once you have a bank of large mats you can disassemble them for the mats you actually need at a material vendor.

I do find it funny that we still talk about 5 million like it means anything and is not just 3 tons of Void Opals.   why so serious?

Money means nothing in this game.  You can start in a sidey and get millions scanning to get your miner ship and then you're voiding like a maniac.

Like a maniac you say?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2171 on: January 22, 2019, 07:41:32 PM

5m is what I have because I don't want to re-learn how to mine or the new exploration stuff. I get anxious enough fighting the UI just bouncing around the galaxy; actually accomplishing new things sounds a lot like work.
Honestly that's why I don't log in. Every time I want to I think of all the changes I'd have to relearn and I just get scared and don't.

I was that way, too. I haven't learned how to do the new mining (you can still mine the old way, which is what I did for the community goal above), but it looks exciting and explodey. And I made it 80% of the way to the Distant Worlds expedition waypoint before I figured out the new exploration deal.

Basically there are now two HUD modes: fighting stuff (red), and peaceful stuff like mining and exploration (blue). You switch between them with one hotkey.

You still do an old-fashioned "honk" first for exploration. If that reveals planets you're interested in, you press a hotkey to open a new mode called the FSS (Full Spectrum System) scanner. This works like tuning an old-fashioned radio and telescopically zooming in on a signal (but the signals are each type of planet, and then each planet within its type). The hotkeys you bind for this are for moving around, tuning, and zooming in. When you have tuned enough that you can zoom in fully on a planet, you have discovered it (information about its composition comes up, and if you're the first you will get your name on it if you sell the data).

There's no longer any need to fly up to the planet for that. You just need to be in the system. You don't need any special equipment (Advanced Discovery Scanner no longer exists, freeing up a slot for things like a Guardian FSD Booster).

However, if you have a Detailed Surface Scanner (DSS) and fly close enough to a planet that you have discovered, you can now map it for extra $$, and get your name on an additional line. This too is a new mode brought up with a hotkey. You then point and shoot around the planet with drones that map its surface bit by bit. It's like firing guided missiles. You have infinite drones, but you are scored on your efficiency with them (engineering on your DSS has been converted to aid the effectiveness of your drones). And that's that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:00:14 PM by Tale »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2172 on: January 23, 2019, 01:24:53 AM

What's interesting about that is if you're discovering for cash, doing the detailed scans actually loses you money because of the time it takes.   why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2173 on: January 23, 2019, 01:26:29 AM

Like a maniac you say?

Yeah, that's a haul and a half.  About 365.5 million in there ?

Terracotta Army

Reply #2174 on: January 23, 2019, 03:12:11 AM

220m - I didn't feel like flying all over god's creation looking for a station buying for 1.6m. I settled for the next tier down - 760k per. plus got a good price on the alex. At this point, I'm not even in it for the coin anymore though that is a huge perk. I really am enamored with the exploding roids. I love the animation and sound...all of it.

If I was a betting man, I'd say the market will crash soon and everything will be reduced. I can't see it continuing. One of the main gates has always been credits and now that has evaporated. Looking like engineering has taken up the mantle along with the guardian stuff.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2175 on: January 23, 2019, 03:26:50 AM

When I filled my Conda, I used the DB to find the top dollar station ;  I wasn't going to do that shit again.   why so serious?

Don't get me wrong, I like the new Core Mining and it's fun, but it's also a lot more nerve wracking than the previous pew pew mining.

Terracotta Army

Reply #2176 on: January 23, 2019, 03:33:13 AM

I'm sure I'll get tired of it at some point, but I am definitely addicted to the mining slot machine right now. I hope they adjust the prices a bit and make subsurface mining a bit more lucrative. Right now it is the forgotten child in all this. That said, I think the subsurface mining with the drilling missiles is the most engaging.  Maybe I'll start looking at mining missions a little more closely - I still have to farm alliance rep and get elite in trading as well.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2177 on: January 23, 2019, 03:39:26 AM

What's interesting about that is if you're discovering for cash, doing the detailed scans actually loses you money because of the time it takes.   why so serious?

Thousands of light years from Sol, on a nine-month discovery expedition in the black, what is this cash you speak of.
Terracotta Army

Reply #2178 on: January 23, 2019, 03:44:31 AM

Thousands of light years from Sol, on a nine-month discovery expedition in the black, what is this cash you speak of.

It's only for the working people. You fucking hippies on some journey of self discovery are paid in the experience and wonder of your expedition.  why so serious?

So this DW thing is a bunch of coordinated mapping to the distant center of the galaxy that a huge amount of people are partaking in...right? That's a lot of coin in exploration going by what I get just for honking around in the bubble looking for cash crops in ice rings. Be a shame if they came back to the bubble in open. I'd hate to get all the way back and have SDC blow me up before I hit a station to sell my info. That would make me quit the game completely.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2179 on: January 23, 2019, 03:45:41 AM

I wish I understood half of what is being written here, as it sounds fun.  Only thing I have discovered since my last post in the thread is that "yes, it does seem you can use and xbox controller for this".

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2180 on: January 23, 2019, 04:07:09 AM

So this DW thing is a bunch of coordinated mapping to the distant center of the galaxy that a huge amount of people are partaking in...right? That's a lot of coin in exploration going by what I get just for honking around in the bubble looking for cash crops in ice rings. Be a shame if they came back to the bubble in open. I'd hate to get all the way back and have SDC blow me up before I hit a station to sell my info. That would make me quit the game completely.

There are now remote asteroid bases and the like, in far-flung regions. At the moment the DW2 expedition is based in a nebula 5000 ly from Sol, where there is a mining company base that has Universal Cartographics to sell exploration data at. The Colonia region also has dozens of inhabited systems with many starports and planetary bases, so it's similar to the bubble for selling data.

One of the main points of the expedition is to build a starport in a system near Sagittarius A, at the centre of the galaxy, which will also become a place to sell data and possibly the centre of a new inhabited region. The massive Community Goal that's just about to complete is DW2 participants mining materials for the starport. It's supported by Frontier and is a lot more than a mapping expedition: https://www.distantworlds2.space

FWIW I'm apparently worth 577 million credits, most of which came from exploration data (partly trips into the black, partly Road To Riches). The rest came from trading and passenger missions. I'm sure you're worth billions. It's impossible to achieve everything you want in this game, so I've decided to focus on what catches my interest and forget about kicking goals (unless a goal catches my interest). I like the way they've set up long-distance exploration to be an accidental source of a reasonable income.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:21:16 AM by Tale »
Terracotta Army

Reply #2181 on: January 23, 2019, 04:39:07 AM

I have to admit, I like the way Frontier organize the addition of new bases in the game. Having the community have to hit goals in order for a new base to be added is a very cool touch in this game.

I'm a bubble boy and will rarely if ever venture out (probably poisoned that well when I did the Road to Riches when PS4 version released to grind to the Conda and then Elite in Exploration). That said, mining has been my thing since it was an option and not a very good option at that. I did my rep grinding and what not, but when I wanted to decompress, I'd be looking up pristine metallic rings online and venturing off to shoot rocks.

I have noticed recently when I have been mining in more popular spots, I get mission updates about something going on near me that I should look into. I normally just toss those into the bin, but I might start paying attention to those now that I have a ship that doesn't take shit from anything. Yesterday I logged in at the mining ring I was previously stripping down and had a 3/3 wing group of NPC pirates come after me. An eagle, a viper, and an adder all started scanning me. The 2 class 4 efficient beams with thermal vent basically liquefied the eagle and the viper without either of them turning to fire on me. The adder also died really quickly once I brought the ship around. Barely felt any dmg in the first ring of shields from the adder.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2182 on: January 23, 2019, 05:05:46 AM

I wish I understood half of what is being written here, as it sounds fun.  Only thing I have discovered since my last post in the thread is that "yes, it does seem you can use and xbox controller for this".

Dude, just ask.

Also, it's mostly less fun than it sounds.

why so serious?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2183 on: January 23, 2019, 05:13:09 AM

Well the amusing thing is that, according to steam, I have 50 hours logged in this game  awesome, for real

Some of that is wasted time, but most of it is just getting to grips with the various controls, running a bunch of missions, upgrading things and buying new ships, etc.  Never really getting under the surface of anything, but enjoying it at least on a superficial.  And all in VR.  Then I step away from the game for whatever reason, pick it up again and feel like I have to start all over.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2184 on: February 09, 2019, 05:51:16 PM

Well, so far Distant Worlds 2 for me is mostly a jump-honk-scoop rush from point A to point B in the minimal time I've had available to play, then logging off for a week until the next waypoint is announced. But I did manage to capture these screenshots (Conflux Delta Site and Rusty Net Nebula) and map half a dozen unexplored systems.

Edit: Still travelling... ringed star at Collection of Wonders, and taking off from Sacaqawea Space Port, in a nebula about halfway to Colonia.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:07:12 PM by Tale »
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2185 on: March 04, 2019, 07:28:51 PM

After owning this game for I year I finally registered it and started playing three days ago. Having a blast so far!  I'm 155LY from the Road to Riches so I'm just puttering my way towards it in my now souped up sidewinder, scanning, doing courier missions and the occasional passenger going my way. 6 Mil in the bank now. One death to an NPC pirate that jumped me while I was trying to figure out the FSS.

Oh, using Mouse and Keyboard config I Googled some stuff seems a little wonky/consoleitish-ish but mostly pretty good.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2186 on: March 04, 2019, 10:15:36 PM

Look forward to hearing more of your newbie experiences. Road to Riches is a bit soul-destroying if you do it all at once, but it does result in riches, which is pleasant but bypasses a lot of the things you would otherwise do in the early game.

I'm now out at Sagittarius A* with the Distant Worlds II expedition. There's a new full-sized station a short hop away called Explorer's Anchorage, in Stuemeae FG-Y d7561. Which is good, because after a 12,000 ly slog to catch up with the expedition, I jumped into Sag A in Open and got ganked by Smiling Dog Crew. Fortunately I'd already visited Explorer's Anchorage and sold all my data, so I just respawned there.

There's a community goal starting in a couple of days to fully fit out Explorer's Anchorage, and then we're off towards Beagle Point and no more stations.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #2187 on: March 05, 2019, 08:57:20 AM

Look forward to hearing more of your newbie experiences. Road to Riches is a bit soul-destroying if you do it all at once, but it does result in riches, which is pleasant but bypasses a lot of the things you would otherwise do in the early game.

I'm now out at Sagittarius A* with the Distant Worlds II expedition. There's a new full-sized station a short hop away called Explorer's Anchorage, in Stuemeae FG-Y d7561. Which is good, because after a 12,000 ly slog to catch up with the expedition, I jumped into Sag A in Open and got ganked by Smiling Dog Crew. Fortunately I'd already visited Explorer's Anchorage and sold all my data, so I just respawned there.

There's a community goal starting in a couple of days to fully fit out Explorer's Anchorage, and then we're off towards Beagle Point and no more stations.

I haven't played in a while (Elite is one of those games you sorta gotta live in the play, and I just don't have time nowadays), but how are stations handled outside the bubble? Do you just find them, or do players get to establish them in new territory?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2188 on: March 05, 2019, 01:57:08 PM

how are stations handled outside the bubble? Do you just find them, or do players get to establish them in new territory?

As I understand it, there are a couple of parts to this, all handled privately through community/tech support.

An established player group, usually a squadron (guild), can request that a player minor faction be set up in-game to represent them. It's created as an NPC political group within the background simulation. Its influence can then be spread by player actions, or left to fend for itself. There are heaps of these in systems around Colonia, but also in the bubble (e.g. Hutton Orbital Truckers Co-operative is a massive guild with an NPC player faction that now controls many systems).

Players can also request a Community Goal. That thread from 2015 says building stations is not supported, but it happens regularly now to host player-related minor factions. It started with memorial requests for stations named after players who had died in real life, and now also seems to be done for big guilds that request it and wait their turn. At the completion of the CG, the station is implemented after the next server maintenance or patch.

A few of those have been in "frontier systems" just outside the bubble, such as in Pallaeni where a now-disbanded pre-Colonia guild called the Colonial Marines still has a player faction and a station. I don't think you can just pick any far-flung system and say "I want a station here" - it has to be a Frontier-supported move, and it has to be deemed something that would not disrupt the game. The new one at the centre of the galaxy was months in the planning because Distant Worlds II is a Frontier-supported community event, forming a storyline.

There's also a series of mostly planetary bases and the odd station, which were set up by Frontier in deep space as the Colonia Connection Highway. This gives players travelling to Colonia the opportunity to get repairs and respawn points along the route, and there are some megaships that "travel" the route. There are other lore-related deep space stations like Base Camp in the Soul Nebula.

The most far-flung stations are mostly Ocellus Starports that arrive with frame shift drives installed, and gradually change shape as the drive is removed and the station set up (the different forms are actually visible in-game over a few days, though it's irrelevant to most players). There are also asteroid bases, dug out of asteroids. Like most Elite: Dangerous community/story content, I think all of the above passes most players by, as most of the process is between prominent players and Frontier's community managers.

I only have time to tag along and see the sights, and I only log on to do this. With a pregnant wife in real life, the countdown is on to me getting left behind and stuck in space :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 02:10:53 PM by Tale »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2189 on: March 05, 2019, 06:33:52 PM

BTW they've announced a "new era" of Elite Dangerous that (disappointingly) won't be ready until late 2020. Forum post here.

My theory has always been that this will be called "Elite: Dangerous - Andromeda" and will open up the Andromeda galaxy to players, after Raxxla is discovered in the storyline. The most obvious object drawn in Elite's sky has always been Andromeda. It's generally thought that Andromeda is where the Thargoids come from. The bubble seems to be getting overrun by Thargoids now, so perhaps we'll have to go and defeat them/ally with them in their home galaxy to win the war.

In the shorter term, the announcement also says there will be a shift to "Development Supported Events" which I think means what we used to call "GM Events' in EverQuest.

As well as Community Goals, we will also be using things like new scenarios, reputation and reward boosts (such as Superpower reputation increases), BGS and global galactic changes, in-game interactions, new game assets and much more to make game-wide events that tie into the game world. The aim is to constantly create new and exciting events and campaigns for you to get involved in and shape, which will focus on and benefit different types of players.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2190 on: March 06, 2019, 10:59:01 AM

2020? By then Star Citizen and Squadron 42 might be near-ish...

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2191 on: March 07, 2019, 11:45:53 AM

So, a couple of evenings wandering aimlessly doing courier and passenger missions and honking for credits in my trusty sidewinder got me to 6 million credits after upgrading everything I could.

Then i spent an evening stripping it back down into an explorer config and full scanned 30 systems on the road to riches and finished the night with 22 Mil.

Last night I travelled a couple hundred light-years to the nearest system with an Asp Explorer on discount, picking up another 2.5 Mil on courier missions and honk data, and bought and fitted it out for core mining. Used EDDB to find pristine icy rings nearby. First system didn't have anything interesting but the second had a ring with a low temp diamond hot spot. Past my bedtime by then but I went on and found a rock with fractures, cracked it and hauled out 14 tons of diamonds which I sold 3 hops away for 10 Mil.

I'll probably do some more core mining tonight then buy Horizons on the weekend and explore the engineering game.

I do have one question though. I had an interesting encounter shortly after i dropped out of supercruise at the hot spot. Three or four ships showed up on my scanner and I got scanned, then some radio chatter with some guy musing "I wonder what you're looking at here?" Then "what are you carrying? Nothing. Hmph" then nothing happened, they just hung around at the edge of my scanner range. So I climbed back up into supercruise and moved to another part of the hot spot and proceeded with my hunt. This is all in private mode, so I presume that was NPC pirates. My question is, had I had valuables in my hold, how am I supposed to get away from them? It took me forever to crawl far enough away from the ring to get out of mass lock and jump into supercruise.

Terracotta Army

Reply #2192 on: March 07, 2019, 12:41:01 PM

So, a couple of evenings wandering aimlessly doing courier and passenger missions and honking for credits in my trusty sidewinder got me to 6 million credits after upgrading everything I could.

Then i spent an evening stripping it back down into an explorer config and full scanned 30 systems on the road to riches and finished the night with 22 Mil.

Last night I travelled a couple hundred light-years to the nearest system with an Asp Explorer on discount, picking up another 2.5 Mil on courier missions and honk data, and bought and fitted it out for core mining. Used EDDB to find pristine icy rings nearby. First system didn't have anything interesting but the second had a ring with a low temp diamond hot spot. Past my bedtime by then but I went on and found a rock with fractures, cracked it and hauled out 14 tons of diamonds which I sold 3 hops away for 10 Mil.

I'll probably do some more core mining tonight then buy Horizons on the weekend and explore the engineering game.

I do have one question though. I had an interesting encounter shortly after i dropped out of supercruise at the hot spot. Three or four ships showed up on my scanner and I got scanned, then some radio chatter with some guy musing "I wonder what you're looking at here?" Then "what are you carrying? Nothing. Hmph" then nothing happened, they just hung around at the edge of my scanner range. So I climbed back up into supercruise and moved to another part of the hot spot and proceeded with my hunt. This is all in private mode, so I presume that was NPC pirates. My question is, had I had valuables in my hold, how am I supposed to get away from them? It took me forever to crawl far enough away from the ring to get out of mass lock and jump into supercruise.

Every time I drop out into a ring, the game will give you 2-4 ships that spawn in. Sometimes, you will get a pirate and some security (depending on system). If you are just starting a mining run and only have limpets, then it doesn't matter. Just start about your business, get scanned and they'll jump away eventually. I've never been scanned twice, so once you get scanned, even if the NPC hangs around, you shouldn't get scanned again. I've never had it happen, but can't say that it never will.

If you are just moving to a different hotspot and have stuff in your hold when you drop in, you can either 1. start boosting straight up from the ring and jump back into supercruise, 2. get scanned and proceed to jettison whatever the pirate NPC wants, or 3. if you have the capability, blow that fuckstain out of the system (which I tend to do straight away, but I'm mining in a Corvette. Option 2 is not too terrible since you are only dropping a fraction of your goods for the pirate and just starting a new mining run so you make it up pretty quick. If you are in a high sec system, just put three pips to shields and 1 to engines and keep boosting till security forces show up and melt the pirate.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2193 on: March 07, 2019, 03:48:51 PM

If you are just moving to a different hotspot and have stuff in your hold when you drop in, you can either 1. start boosting straight up from the ring and jump back into supercruise, 2. get scanned and proceed to jettison whatever the pirate NPC wants, or 3. if you have the capability, blow that fuckstain out of the system (which I tend to do straight away, but I'm mining in a Corvette. Option 2 is not too terrible since you are only dropping a fraction of your goods for the pirate and just starting a new mining run so you make it up pretty quick. If you are in a high sec system, just put three pips to shields and 1 to engines and keep boosting till security forces show up and melt the pirate.

I fit my Corvette with turreted beam lasers in all my hardpoints set to "fire at will" and sit in Low Res sites with one piece of super valuable cargo in my hold and my NPC pilot flying cover in a fighter.  I then go about my day at work while getting scanned and attacked.  At the end of the day I head back to base and collect my bounties.  =D
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2194 on: March 08, 2019, 08:02:40 AM

Well, a Corvette with fighter it's still a bit beyond me, both financially and faction-wise. I practiced boosting out last night, plus understanding now how the only real threat is when you first drop into the ring, so I'm not too worried about it. Maybe after I've gotten a couple billion in the bank I'll kit out a Clipper and mine in style while smoking the pirates for fun.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

So last night was kind of a waste except for all the useful stuff I learned. First I pretty much maxed out my Asp X components until such time as I can do engineering. Then I found a glorious pristine icy ring in the second system I scanned with several hotspots each (some overlapping) of void opals, low temp diamonds and alexandrite. And then I thrashed around for the next two hours wasting 45 prospecting drones trying to find something other than methane or water or the like. I did get good at identifying rocks with cores, probably 35 of the 45 I probed had fractures. But I forgot the most important step! I didn't scan the prospector probe after it landed, I was just looking at all the surface features it had revealed, being mostly fissures and frozen gasses so I thought the rocks were empty! BIG D'oh!  ACK! So at bedtime and with only 5 limpets left I cracked one anyway and went home with 5 Mil worth of alexandrite.

Biggest takeaways, other than don't forget to take drones and scan the prospector after it lands, were learning how to spot the core rocks in an ice ring. They are medium-smallish, sort of egg-shaped but with biggish squarish lobes separated by deep canyons ( like popcorn, NOT the bigger one with a long split along most of the longer axis), and pulse scanned from a couple km they first show as bright orange with a black grid overlaying it then switch to brilliant lemon yellow with no black at all. And up close you can see the fissures pretty easily with night vision on.

Terracotta Army

Reply #2195 on: March 08, 2019, 12:17:29 PM

Protip: do not use a Cutter for mining. Way too pretty and not great for maneuvering around broken rocks and you will never fill all that cargo space unless you are mining for weeks.

IMHO, the Krait and the Python are the best to mine with. They have very few negatives, esp with core mining being so lucrative. That said, I love mining in the Vette... something about the absurd overkill with that ship and my massive twin efficient beams. Just those two beams literally melt anything smaller than a python in one pass. So satisfying.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2196 on: March 09, 2019, 07:23:52 AM

NPCs drop in to scan you whenever you drop into a ring or belt.  This includes if you disconnect and reconnect to the game (inside the belt).  If they find nothing, you get a message where they're disappointed, like you've seen.  If they do see any ore in your hold, though, they will attack.  So make sure you have enough shields / armor to survive, and make sure you've enabled the option to "Notify police of crimes against me" in the right panel in your cockpit so they come to your aid.

Protip for mining:  you CAN put a low yield mine in a high yield fissure if low yield is all you need to get into the blue range and crack the roid.  The effect of not matching yields to fissures is maybe 1-2 less chunks.

Otherwise, enjoy, and do use the game-related websites; coriolis.io for ship fittings, eddb to find trade routes or specific stations, inara as a general encyclopedia of where stuff is, canonn research for lore.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2197 on: March 11, 2019, 08:10:03 PM

Okies, I is now a billionaire. Did I win the game?  why so serious?

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2198 on: March 12, 2019, 03:56:31 AM

You're richer than me. Now build a ship for the thing(s) you want to do, and do the thing(s). I've dedicated myself to exploration, but I'd go fight Thargoid Scouts if I was in the Bubble.
Terracotta Army

Reply #2199 on: March 12, 2019, 04:11:49 AM

You're richer than me. Now build a ship for the thing(s) you want to do, and do the thing(s). I've dedicated myself to exploration, but I'd go fight Thargoid Scouts if I was in the Bubble.

You people need to leave those poor fuckers alone.  why so serious?

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2200 on: March 21, 2019, 01:26:18 PM

the things I want to do. That would be almost everything (except pvp) of course.  why so serious?

There's so many things I want to do I don't know where to start so I'm mostly gathering mats for, and working on, engineering. I'm having so much fun I think it might be illegal. I made Elite in trading and Allied with the Federation the same time I rolled over my first billion from selling void opals. I've never fired a shot from my ship, I don't even *have* weapons currently, but I think my combat rank is creeping up, I guess from shooting drones from my moon buggy? Still harmless though.

I've taken lots of pictures, some of them pretty good even.

I hate Frontier's paint job DLC scheme. I'd pay a buck for one color for one ship type in a heartbeat, probably each time I bought a ship. But I doubt I will ever buy a package of 6 colors for one ship, most of which I don't like, for 4 bucks a pop. They're leaving money on the table with that stupid approach.

I'm still in my second ship, the good ole AspX "I'll Be Back", with over a billion credits sitting in the bank, though it's been souped up a bit. It makes a really great runabout as long as you run from every fight. My starting Sidewinder "Help Me Obi-Wan Kenobi" is still parked in a garage somewhere. Not sure if I should learn combat in it, get a real but still cheap combat ship like a Vulture, or just go wild and kit out a Fer-de-Lance for my first combat mission. Or maybe I'll get a Python and build it for laser mining to do the stuff needed for engineering unlocks. Or buy a second AspX and take it out into the black. Or an Anaconda so I can do all the things without swapping modules. Or use a Python or something for missioning up my Fed rank to get a Corvette. Or ...

Toying with the idea of buying a second account so I can send one off into the black indefinitely while still being able to tool around the core, follow the lore, advance ranks and engineers, etc with the other. But it looks to be a pita to run two accounts on a single machine. And I'm not sure I want to grind engineers twice.

Thinking about that though I did figure out about the cheapest ship possible to do core mining if I do bootstrap up a second account. Don't want to play dodgerock without Shields so I came up with a Cobra mk3 which would do the trick for under 900k credits. One run with that should net you 15 Mil, enough to get a stripped down aspX. Then one run with that and you've got 100 Mil to play with and off you go.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2201 on: March 26, 2019, 07:56:40 AM

So I've headed out into the black.

I've got the first two engineers levelled up so I bought a new ship, a Krait Phantom named "Tears In Rain", and fitted it out for exploration with 6A fuel scoop, extended range/mass manager FSD, and thrusters tuned for cool running. I didn't feel like waiting while I ground out the guardian Frame Shift Booster or any more engineering, so it's not an optimal min/max build but it has 45 ly jumps and can finish scooping almost as fast as it takes to honk, usually well before I've managed to skim around the star to get lined up for the next jump, all with temperature rarely exceeding 65%. With one more slot than the AspX and no FSD booster it has everything but the kitchen sink including shields, two-car garage, xeno scanner (just in case!), repair module, a small cargo bay and both fuel and repair limpet controllers.

I loaded up on courier missions to Colonia and headed out about 45 degrees left and up from a straight line towards Colonia, aiming at an interesting looking nebulae I'd never heard of 5k ly out. The first evening of play I made 1800ly, spending lots of time scanning systems, exploring, photographing, mapping, and generally getting a feel for how to optimize what to scan, etc. But at the end of the day I realized I was still 21k ly from Colonia and only had 6 days to get there.

So, day two, new plan. I turned straight toward Colonia and picked up my pace, not stopping to detail scan anything but systems with K stars and only mapping earthlikes, water worlds, and terraformables. Otherwise just drop in, scoop/honk/align then wait a second or two for temp to drop back down to 50% and jump again. I think I made 4k ly, with several distractions and most of an hour spent wondering if there were any rest stops on this road, trying to figure out how to find the nearest to my current east-of-nowhere-location-not-recorded-in-EDDB , then waypointing in my galactic map every station outside the bubble or Colonia areas.

One of those distractions did result in my first fender-bender in the new ship, when something the Countess was watching on TV distracted me and I turned back from it to my monitor just in time to watch a planet fill my screen and stop my ship a little too suddenly. So, I can now add a perfect litho-braking maneuver to my list of accomplishments!  why so serious? I got away with only 2% hull damage (surprisingly less than the damage I get on about one in five of my planetary landing attempts so far, I haven't quite got the feel for how to line up optimal descent angle to come out of orbital flight in glide range of the target yet) so not even worth figuring out how these repair limpet thingies work yet.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2202 on: March 26, 2019, 10:31:30 AM

I have been thinking about what's holding me back from jumping in on this, and I think it's the learning cliff. So much things have changed that I don't even know what the fuck to ask about what's changed. The whole thought about relearning everything and going though all my controls for "uh is this important? What the fuck is this and what key should I put on it?" is giving me hives.

I'd rather hang back and live it vicariously through you lot.

Hic sunt dracones.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2203 on: March 26, 2019, 11:20:31 AM

well, I still don't know what half the buttons do. "What's this button do?" is on my alt list for ship names, if i ever run dry on movie quotes that fit in 22 characters.  Pretty much every play session I learn 4 or 5 things. 2 or 3 of which I'd learned but forgotten already.

Terracotta Army

Reply #2204 on: March 26, 2019, 12:10:47 PM

This game is one of those that you slowly add to your button arsenal over time. Learn the main stuff, controls, menus, weapons. Then play for a few hours/days and commit those buttons to memory. Once you get to a point of not even thinking about what button you are pressing to activate whatever, then add 1-3 new buttons and start using those... continue as needed. That's what I did when I got my HOTAS.

Even then, you really can do everything off the menus, just takes longer than hotkeying it.

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: