Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:25:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662284 times)
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2030 on: February 09, 2018, 02:48:04 PM

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2031 on: February 09, 2018, 02:54:48 PM

He's going to be mad they spelled his name wrong.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2032 on: February 14, 2018, 04:31:23 PM

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2033 on: February 14, 2018, 07:14:23 PM

I painted my Asp and went out exploring again.

And finally, the most cooked planet.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2034 on: February 15, 2018, 01:43:05 PM

Elite: Dangerous is 75% off at the moment, if you've ever wanted to try the game, or want an alt account to play in the Bubble while your main is in deep space (or be your co-pilot for an extra pip).
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2035 on: February 15, 2018, 07:18:33 PM

sold! and thanks for the heads up. I look forward to buying that other space game for this price too a few months after it releases. In 2025   why so serious?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2036 on: February 19, 2018, 07:45:28 PM

Just got my HOTAS off Amazon, so will be diving in.  Going to play normally for a bit, then swap to VR once I have the controls committed to memory.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2037 on: February 20, 2018, 03:50:57 PM

"Beyond - Chapter One" (3.0 or the next phase of Elite Dangerous after Horizons) launches February 27. Watch trailer.

Promises: improvements to core gameplay, new crime and punishment system, improved trading data/map, wing missions, new ships (Chieftain player ship and new Thargoid scouts, but Krait is still to come), more interactive megaships and installations, materials broker, technology broker, overhaul of engineering, in-game Galnet audio, new astronomical anomalies, improvements to planetary visuals and more detailed surface environments.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:28:35 PM by Tale »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2038 on: February 21, 2018, 09:48:53 AM

I like that you can pick your quest reward from three different options now.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2039 on: February 26, 2018, 02:46:36 PM

Two great videos:

- Hilarious review of Elite Dangerous in VR.

- Exploring "The World of Death" (which has a fast orbit through the jet of a white dwarf)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2040 on: March 03, 2018, 03:26:48 PM

Can't jump. Soul Nebula might eat me.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2041 on: April 03, 2018, 09:15:15 AM

Now have the Cutter.

So you can insert rant on 'I hate wasting large berths on small items' rant here.

A Docking Computer should be a Utility Mount, dammit. 

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2042 on: April 03, 2018, 05:10:25 PM

welcome to the galactic hoi palloi
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2043 on: April 07, 2018, 11:52:34 AM

See you chaps that are Trader Elite ?  How the fuck did you do it and how the fuck did you not blow your fucking brains out with the boredom ?

Seriously.

Edit ;  turns out it's changed and making money on Passenger missions also helps your trading rank.  Hit Tycoon last night after running the Parutis/Medb billions.

So that's nice.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 05:10:39 AM by Ironwood »

Terracotta Army

Reply #2044 on: April 19, 2018, 07:30:48 AM

Postcard from the Formidine Rift

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2045 on: April 19, 2018, 04:36:47 PM

Awesome.

I headed out there a couple of months ago, but took many diversions to sights along the way, and by the time I'd done the Heart and Soul nebulae, patch 3.0 was introduced. It sucked to be far away from all the new action and it was gonna be a long time before I returned to the bubble.

I was taking screenshots at Base Camp station in the Soul Nebula, and somehow I aggroed the station :) It blew me up and instead of respawning me there, I was was offered LHS 3447 insured, or LHS 3447 Sidewinder. Apparently this was a bug in 3.0, but I thought it was because Base Camp had no shipyard.

I'd already sold my exploration data out there, so I took my insured LHS 3447 respawn taxi to the bubble, bought a T9 with its new extra 256-ton cargo slot, and started trading (only to realise what Ironwood posted above, that I should be doing passenger missions). Maybe one day I'll go back towards the Rift!
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #2046 on: April 19, 2018, 11:22:57 PM

I'm new in ED (no DLC). Is it worth buying Ground DLC right of the bat or it doesn't add any meaningful experience?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2047 on: April 20, 2018, 12:32:45 AM

I'm new in ED (no DLC). Is it worth buying Ground DLC right of the bat or it doesn't add any meaningful experience?

Do you mean Horizons? (40% off at the moment!)

If you find you enjoy the game, you should buy Horizons. It's a really big part of the game.

The most important thing it adds is Engineers. They are NPCs who can upgrade the modules in your ship. So for example with the base game, you could build an exploration ship that jumps 35 light years, but Engineers could bring it up to 54 light years per jump. The other big aspect of Horizons is being able to participate in the story-driven content, such as interacting with alien ruins on planets.

But if you have just started, there is no immediate need to buy Horizons. The learning curve to playing the basic game is going to consume a lot of time before you even need to think about landing anywhere other than a space station.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2048 on: April 20, 2018, 01:14:45 AM

I wouldn't advise anyone NOT to buy Horizons.  The best way to think of it is this :  the base game will give you Elite.  You know, the 1980's game.  That's great, of course, but can you remember playing it ?  Fairly limited, right ?

Get Horizons.  Or don't bother with the game.

Also, the more I think on the Passenger missions thing, the more it bothers me.  It's a high credit activity that will get you both high levels of Exploration AND trading ?  Why do anything else ever ?

Does anyone have any experience of Combat missions ?  I've been doing the CC combat missions that has slowly crept my combat rank up and I'd quite like it to go up faster ;  do the missions help or should I just be grinding a haz-res ?

Terracotta Army

Reply #2049 on: April 20, 2018, 05:20:23 AM

Horizons is needed to access the Engineers which, while a bit of a grind, are very useful in improving aspects of your ship (notably jump range and thrust speed).

Other than surface stations there are both static and dynamic 'points of interest' but the interaction is, at most, typically scanning some datapoints for which someone will pay as well as surface 'mining' (shoot rock-collect rubble) which are mostly just for engineering

Awesome.

I headed out there a couple of months ago, but took many diversions to sights along the way, and by the time I'd done the Heart and Soul nebulae, patch 3.0 was introduced. It sucked to be far away from all the new action and it was gonna be a long time before I returned to the bubble.

I was taking screenshots at Base Camp station in the Soul Nebula, and somehow I aggroed the station :) It blew me up and instead of respawning me there, I was was offered LHS 3447 insured, or LHS 3447 Sidewinder. Apparently this was a bug in 3.0, but I thought it was because Base Camp had no shipyard.

I'd already sold my exploration data out there, so I took my insured LHS 3447 respawn taxi to the bubble, bought a T9 with its new extra 256-ton cargo slot, and started trading (only to realise what Ironwood posted above, that I should be doing passenger missions). Maybe one day I'll go back towards the Rift!

I made it to the Zurara megaship a couple of days ago..... and then promptly boosted into it several times while taking screenshots (this was done on xbox which uses the boost button in a combo to access the camera suite) so I'm currently headed back to Heart Nebula (did Soul on the way out) for repairs - not sure if I'll go back to Zurara and head further or return to the bubble afterwards (unlocked Palin on the way out).

On the way out I did visit the surface bases

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:22:21 AM by 5150 »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2050 on: April 21, 2018, 12:04:30 PM

Professor Palin can suck my dick.  He needs to give me this shit for free now 'cause of the fucking boredom he just put me through.

Cock.

Terracotta Army

Reply #2051 on: April 21, 2018, 12:41:20 PM

Professor Palin can suck my dick.  He needs to give me this shit for free now 'cause of the fucking boredom he just put me through.

Cock.

Dirty Drives 5 is O So Worth it though!
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #2052 on: April 22, 2018, 11:21:28 AM

Yeaah. Fuck. Anonymous CMDR reporting  ACK!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2053 on: April 22, 2018, 01:34:00 PM

?

disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #2054 on: April 22, 2018, 03:16:47 PM

I can't stop carry boom reports - WoW has schooled me to max out everything. Now,  I find out how easy is to get credits in High RES. I'm fetching million by million. Just can't stop, just like 10years ago in WoW or EvE.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2055 on: April 22, 2018, 08:42:38 PM

Here's the loitering that got me killed there :)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:44:45 PM by Tale »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2056 on: April 23, 2018, 03:45:32 AM

Been watching a fair bit of Exigeous lately (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Rwxz4318EEQGHz_z58nVA) and the video where he talks about the top 15 3rd party apps was very interesting.

Long story short, despite knowing about the obvious ones there, the actual toolsets he recommends got installed and I had a look at them.  Not going to bore you with all the details, but I will say that running EDDiscovery was fascinating.  It basically took all my logs for the last 2 years and showed me my entire and complete journey in Elite, including some nice maps about where I'd been and how I'd been getting on.

It was also really, really fucking useful to find out which stations I'd maxed some Rep with, as this was information I was dying to know, didn't have the meat memory TO know and was useful for various things.

So, wee heads up there.

disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #2057 on: April 24, 2018, 12:01:53 AM

Do You recommend any guides tips for cartography/exploring? I have fitted DiamondBack Explorere with ~40 jump range.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2058 on: April 24, 2018, 02:26:19 AM

I can't think of a guide that has it all, but remember to take BOTH an Advanced Discovery Scanner and a Detailed Surface Scanner.

They are used separately. You use the ADS when you arrive in a system, to find out which objects are in the system. The DSS automatically begins scanning a targeted object when you have flown close enough to it. You get more money when you've used a DSS on an object.

Reducing mass in your ship means more jump range. That means D-rated components wherever possible (obviously not your FSD!), nothing you don't need (e.g. don't take weapons), freely taking things that have no mass (even a docking computer for your safe return landing, if you have a spare slot) and engineering for low mass (if you bought Horizons).

Take a copy of the exploration payout guide image here: https://www.reddit.com/r/eliteexplorers/comments/650i3f/cmdr_frus_23_exploration_payout_guide/

Basically, Universal Cartographics (you can sell exploration data to them at most stations) will pay highest for earth-like worlds (ELWs), water worlds (WWs), and terraformable worlds which can include water worlds or high metal content worlds (HMCs). Don't die before you sell to Universal Cartographics, or you'll lose all your exploration data. If possible, divide the sale between stations/factions that you want to become allied with.

Also, space is stupidly big. Don't be too ambitious on your first exploration trip. Pick something a couple of thousand LY away from the bubble and come back when you've done that. By then, you'll have a good idea of whether or not you like exploration.

Also, don't fly straight there and back, because you might not find any unvisited systems. Do a bunch of jumps up or down from the direct route before you start and aim below/above your ultimate destination when plotting a route, and you'll have more chance of finding systems nobody has visited before. Selling the data on those systems is how you get your name on them permanently.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:29:26 AM by Tale »
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2059 on: April 24, 2018, 02:45:32 AM

I'd bring 2 repair systems as well. One can repair the other.

When I went exploring I didn't even bring a shield :D

Hic sunt dracones.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #2060 on: April 24, 2018, 02:47:20 AM

Exploration data also gives you reputation when you sell it so keep that in mind when you choose where to sell it (but also remember that getting blown up means you earn nothing).
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2061 on: April 24, 2018, 03:21:56 AM

I'd bring 2 repair systems as well. One can repair the other.

When I went exploring I didn't even bring a shield :D

I'd argue against double AFMU on a relatively small initial exploration trip. One AFMU is fine. Especially on a Diamondback Explorer where you need room for other stuff.

AFMU weighs nothing, so take B class as it has more integrity (hit points) than A rated, and if you have Horizons you can synthesise a refill for your AFMU by gathering the required materials on planet surfaces.

AFMU can't repair your hull, so it doesn't make up for the lack of shields (I take the lowest possible grade of D rated shield that the ship can use, engineered for low power use... Useless in a fight, but prevents those minor landing bumps and scrapes). It's fine to explore without shields though.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:33:07 AM by Tale »
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #2062 on: April 24, 2018, 05:15:30 AM

I'd recommend against a "No Shield" build for a first time explorer. Planetary landings are hard and without a shield every landing poses the risk of hull damage. Take a D-rated shield and engineer it for lower mass if possible.
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #2063 on: April 24, 2018, 06:46:53 AM

Thank You for tips.
Did You ever died to heat? I've read that there is small chance that You will jump into a system between two suns.
Also why people recommend fitting SRV?

Already made around 20 mill using road to riches site but I really want to try unexplored regions - to put my name on something
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2064 on: April 24, 2018, 07:20:53 AM

An SRV on an explorer is a must because you WILL want to land at one point, even if it's only to get some more materials to synthesise stuff.  You can't imagine the chuckling from the Fuel Rats when you're stranded next to a planet that could have improved your jump range, but you don't have an SRV. 

Also, it really cuts down on the boredom and gets you used to both landing on planets and using an SRV which you will use a STUPID amount if you ever want to engineer EVER.

Putting your name on something is easy as all hell ;  even when I recently did that 5k trip for Palin, I found no less than 13 unexplored systems ;  hell there are even more 'shareable' ones, since most people don't scan everything.  Pick a direction and go - I can personally recommend the Coal Sack Nebula, both because I know there's unexplored there as well as the fact that you might run into systems named after me.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

As to dying from heat, yes, it happens.  Mostly when you run into a Neutron Star for the first time, have zero clue what the fuck it is and hit it's incredibly wide edge.  This is also why we recommend a Heat Sink on an explorer.  You just never know when you might run into one of those bloody stars or, worse, into 3 stars clustered together with no way out but through !

Fly Safe.

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: