Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:21:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662348 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1995 on: September 27, 2017, 03:03:37 PM

[removed -- pic was actually promotional artwork, not the exciting screenshot I had thought]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:27:32 PM by Tale »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1996 on: October 17, 2017, 06:53:03 AM

Is that the top of Mercedes Benz Stadium killing people?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1997 on: October 27, 2017, 12:16:22 PM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1998 on: October 28, 2017, 10:27:36 AM

Space Legs ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1999 on: October 28, 2017, 12:33:19 PM

being able to walk around your ship first person a la jpeg citizen
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2000 on: October 28, 2017, 01:43:49 PM

Fuck that.  That's not even in the top 100 of things the game needs.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2001 on: October 29, 2017, 12:23:37 PM

Walking in stations worked so well though.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2002 on: October 29, 2017, 08:48:35 PM

Just rolled up a 53.5% FSD mod with an extra 2% fuel use bonus. All set for galactic exploration again.

However I have too much fun dicking around in my maxed-out, engineered Cobra MkIII with a flames paint job and ship ID "FUN". I have taken on a few Thargoids in it (and run away when they start to hurt me) and visited various POIs like capital ships and megaships. It's a good low-risk ship for doing everything in Open too.

I wish the Thargoids were really invading and the galaxy was in crisis. After tangling with them briefly I went back to farming engineering materials. Ready for the next phase now.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2003 on: October 30, 2017, 05:51:05 AM

I've not even seen one yet ;  where they hanging out ?

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2004 on: October 30, 2017, 07:35:04 AM

Easiest way I found them was system Asterope near Maia. Find an unknown signal source that resolves as Non-human Threat Level 5.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2005 on: October 31, 2017, 10:41:15 PM

Useful links.

Canonn Research Codex
- index of all the noteworthy things you can visit in the galaxy and what to do there: https://canonn.science/codex/

isokix.space
- similar but different index of noteworthy things to do/visit in the galaxy: http://isokix.space/
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2006 on: November 01, 2017, 03:29:57 PM

As I'm currently in the Witch Head Nebula, here's a list of 141 nebulae, visible or reachable from the bubble. Bonus list of 32 other galaxies visible in the sky.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2007 on: November 03, 2017, 12:00:59 AM

Hello.

System V1990 Orionis.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:04:34 AM by Tale »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2008 on: November 03, 2017, 08:55:08 AM

Soooo pretty.  Thanks for posting.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2009 on: November 05, 2017, 01:38:29 PM

Colonia info database. Even if you're never going there, this describes pretty well WHAT it is.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2010 on: November 06, 2017, 04:27:44 AM

Has there been an optimised route for getting there posted somewhere ?

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2011 on: November 06, 2017, 02:16:58 PM

You can now plot routes up to 20,000 ly so the galaxy map itself should provide an optimised route. However, if you want lots of discoveries to your name along the way, you want the opposite of an optimised route :)

You can also plot a "neutron highway" route using neutron stars to boost your jump range. I've never tried that, so I'd learn from a YouTube video first. On a ship with a 50 ly jump range, a full trip using neutron stars would be as few as 140 jumps, but it's slower and riskier to set up each jump. Using regular everyday hyperspace you're up for 400 jumps (can also reduce this with FSD boosts via crafting).

But if I was going there again (argh), I would want to see the unique Caravanserai station and whatever else is good on the route.

Space ports along the way: (recently added)
Rohini (Eudaemon Anchorage)
Gandharvi (Caravanserai)
Kashyapa (Vihara Gate)

Surface bases: (why? I'd rather use space ports)
Blu Thua AI-A c14-10 (Hillary Depot)
Lagoon Sector NI-S b4-10 (Amundsen Terminal)
Eagle Sector IR-W d1-117 (Eagle's Landing)
Skaudai CH-B d14-34 (Sacaqawea Space Port)
Gru Hypue KS-T d3-31 (Gagarin Gate)
Boewnst KS-S c20-959 (Polo Harbour)

I'm a fan of the space between, not the destination. Here is a reply I posted on Reddit to someone who asked "what is going on in Colonia?"

Not much, really. Functionally it is a smaller, lower-populated alternative to "the bubble", 21,000 ly away from Sol, with AI minor factions named for real player groups. That makes it both impractical to visit regularly, and impractical to inhabit full-time.

The lore is that a cyborg bartender called Jacques put a FSD on his station and jumped it there and got stuck, kicking off the settlement of that area of space. It's a good hub for explorers and alt accounts. Not all ship modules are available, and there are only occasionally Community Goals there.

But it's cool. And space out there has a LOT more stars.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:26:22 PM by Tale »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2012 on: November 07, 2017, 02:01:14 AM

Interesting, I knew they'd increased the plotting, of course, I just didn't appreciate they improved it that much...

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2013 on: November 08, 2017, 05:08:14 AM

Posted a gallery of my recent nebula pics: click here for more

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #2014 on: December 16, 2017, 10:05:04 AM

So, apparently, in the latest patch the Thargoids are finally attacking. And apparently the missions to go and try to evacuate refugees from the disintegrating stations are some of the best experiences in any space game, ever, especially in VR.

(Also apparently you don't fight the Thargoids. The Thargoids are really badass, and humans are screwed.)

So I patched up and logged in last night. It's been a while, so I needed to reacquaint myself with the controls, my ship, etc. Sitting in the launch bay, I started going over everything. And going over everything. And going over.....

After an hour I had finally gone down the whole checklist, felt reasonably confidant that I remembered how to fly and navigate, said "gg" and logged off and went to bed.

Tonight, I might actually get out of the launch bay.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2015 on: December 16, 2017, 03:59:47 PM

So, apparently, in the latest patch the Thargoids are finally attacking.

It's more like they have attacked. Three stations are on fire and covered with Thargoid goo and are being evacuated, and the storyline is that the Thargoids attacked them.

Watch a video.

However these three stations were all recent builds by Aegis, the organisation formed to fight the Thargoids and develop weaponry to destroy them. This suggests the Thargoids made a targeted attack. There is still a theory that this faction of Thargoid is the good faction that does not want to harm humanity in general, and we will soon be seeing the bad faction fought in the previous games.

And apparently the missions to go and try to evacuate refugees from the disintegrating stations are some of the best experiences in any space game, ever, especially in VR.

They are pretty spectacularly realised. I do not doubt this would feel incredible in VR. But essentially it's just flying into a super-hot starport and taking passenger missions.

(Also apparently you don't fight the Thargoids. The Thargoids are really badass, and humans are screwed.)

The Thargoids are seemingly not at these starports. It's just the aftermath. But there are Thargoids around the area of space.

There are three types, in order of strength: Cyclops, Basilisk, Medusa. With the right weapons you can solo a Cyclops. Some people have soloed Basilisks. You can't solo a Medusa; these are the badass ones.

Tonight, I might actually get out of the launch bay.

Me too. All equipped to join in... Busy with real life end of year/Christmas stuff.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2016 on: December 17, 2017, 03:57:13 PM

I logged in and did a quick rescue mission from The Oracle (a station that was attacked).

It's HOT in there, like flying into a sun. I used a heatsink and also took some damage. Other than that, it's pretty easy. The destination for the refugees is a nearby megaship, so it's a pretty quick turnaround.

The creative assets are really great - the desperation in the voices, the artwork making up the burning station, and the sound effects.

If I get time to go back, I think I'd look at the trading opportunities instead! Commodities like basic medicines and evacuation shelters are selling for great prices at the burning stations... BUT you don't even have to go there. There's a commodity market on the megaship that is also buying at the same great prices.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2017 on: December 18, 2017, 01:40:55 AM

Fuck me, don't launch this shit so close to Christmas, I have NO TIME TO PLAY YOU CUNTS.

(Yes, I'll log tonight and play...)

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2018 on: December 18, 2017, 01:59:02 PM

Yeah, this is good stuff.  Except the fire and the screaming and the horror.

Though, for you Americans, you can make a shitton selling medicines and water to on fire people.  So, it has capitalism !

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2019 on: December 19, 2017, 06:15:43 AM

Its Trickle On Economics!

Hic sunt dracones.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2020 on: December 19, 2017, 10:04:45 AM

I am ready for interspecies warfare in the finest craft in all of space sims

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2021 on: December 19, 2017, 10:11:16 AM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2022 on: December 19, 2017, 10:16:22 AM

Goddamn  /nubnub

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2023 on: December 19, 2017, 11:01:18 AM

Well yeah, if you are into pretty things and all...  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2024 on: December 19, 2017, 12:15:19 PM

I check in occasionally to strenuously review if there's anything else I can do to upgrade it in any significant sense. I'm effectively capped out, but if the weapons meta changes significantly I can restart the process of maximally engine.

The last major change to it was to compensate for the planned soft and hard limits on shield boosters, switching half of the +shield boosters for shield resistances, modding them until the total cutdown for thermal and ballistic was around 60 to 75 percent reduction. I can swap them out for the old total shield amounts if necessary because it doesn't seem like there was a substantive reduction last I looked at the patch notes.

Outside of that, there's really nothing else to do. Everything is essentially maximally engineered, with extra care given to dump insane amounts of rolls into the distributor regeneration with an additional top-offed modifier for pluses to weapons distributor regen, and the maximal jump range increase almost hypothetically possible.

Additional, I have two maxed out 8A power plants: one is a maxed roll Overcharged to accommodate all those weapons and those shield mods at once, and in case they cut down shield boosters to a specific amount like four maximum, I have a maxed roll low emissions power plant to minimize heat signature and maximize heat reduction/recovery.

The weapons themselves are overcharged with effect modifiers, including incendiary class 4, and a single corrosive autocannon. The two large weapons ports are grade 5 efficient +dam -capacitor load thermal conduit beam gimbals. I have two heavy efficient beam turrets in storage just in case multi crew gunners are ever a fucking thing but
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2025 on: December 19, 2017, 02:15:57 PM

All of which means the Thargoids will eat you.

why so serious?

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2026 on: December 20, 2017, 06:12:00 AM

you can't kill what you can't catch you alien commie fake news bastards
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2027 on: December 23, 2017, 02:13:05 PM

Elite Dangerous players are trying to rescue a player beyond the edge of the galaxy

https://www.pcgamesn.com//elite-dangerous/elite-dangerous-fuel-rats-sol-rescue

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2028 on: January 01, 2018, 09:41:11 AM

Looking for a good HOTAS for this.  Most of them seem obscenely expensive for what will be an occasional-use part, but this ThrustMaster setup looks tempting.  Anyone have any experience with it?

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2029 on: January 01, 2018, 12:19:14 PM

If you are looking for a cheaper HOTAS option, this is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Flight-Stick-pc/dp/B001CXYMFS
It does split in half, so you can have the throttle positioned somewhere and your joystick centered if you prefer.
For E:D I probably need 2 more buttons on the throttle, but since I'm trying to get VoiceAttack working it should cover those nicely.

- Viin
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: