Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:24:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662319 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1925 on: July 25, 2017, 02:56:46 PM

I tried the tutorial again today, and really struggled with the advanced combat on keyboard + mouse.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1926 on: July 25, 2017, 06:26:57 PM

I coudn't pass the second combat tutorial, so started the game. I did fine in Combat. Skip the tutorials except learning to land. Then buy a landing computer and never do it.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1927 on: July 25, 2017, 06:47:03 PM

The first combat tutorial is fine. I never got past the second one either.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1928 on: July 25, 2017, 06:55:01 PM

I kept getting waxed by the second group of tutorial enemies. I found it hard to manage going faster and slower along with manuevering to get some of them in my sights.

I did land ok finally. That remains more annoying than I expected. It reminds me of Microsoft Airplane Simulator way back in the day.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1929 on: July 25, 2017, 10:17:35 PM

I kept getting waxed by the second group of tutorial enemies. I found it hard to manage going faster and slower along with manuevering to get some of them in my sights.

I did land ok finally. That remains more annoying than I expected. It reminds me of Microsoft Airplane Simulator way back in the day.

Definitely skip any difficult tutorials and just play the game. You'll get the hang of it eventually. Remember the starting Sidewinder has infinite free rebuys so you might as well just learn through trial and error, crash into as many things as you want, die in any ways you like, offend as many factions as you want, and learn that way.

When I began to understand the size of the galaxy map and how big 400 billion star systems actually is, my landing problems became insignificant. Nowadays I take a docking computer if there's room for one. They're weightless, so they don't affect the jump range of your ship.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1930 on: July 26, 2017, 01:08:26 AM

I coudn't pass the second combat tutorial, so started the game. I did fine in Combat. Skip the tutorials except learning to land. Then buy a landing computer and never do it.

This used to be good advice until SRV missions bring you in millions.

Use your free Sidey and learn to dock, land and touchdown.  It's worth it and actually really, really easy.  What I find makes docking hard is other players.  Still smarting from that asshole that boosted his conda out the middle of the slot and crushed my DBX like a tin can.  Fucker.

On a related note, server lag last night was horrendous and multiple complaints on the boards.  I hope to fuck they fix that quick.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1931 on: July 28, 2017, 02:03:38 AM

I hate community goals for that reason.

You come in with a Conda, do everything by the book - adhere to the speed limit, pass through the slot on the green side, keep in the mid until you're at your pad - even announce it in local and you still get some motherfucker who's just boosting his huge ass Cutter or Beluga smack dab through the middle of the mail slot. Last time this nearly cost me a rebuy on my Conda as said motherfucker managed to get me wedged in the slot and nearly shot for loitering.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1932 on: July 29, 2017, 11:12:40 AM

Caught up on 3+ months of this thread and I am all fired up to play this again. I bought a screaming fast new PC since I last played, so hopefully I can see some benefits from it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1933 on: July 29, 2017, 11:15:14 AM

I've been on for literally the last 48 hours, so feel free to say hi.

I have blown so much fucking money though.  My Conda is now all fitted out and A rated and, fuck me, I'm now so poor.  Barely got 18m to rub together.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:28:35 AM by Ironwood »

WayAbvPar

Reply #1934 on: July 29, 2017, 03:11:54 PM

That is about 3x what I have IIRC. And I don't have a Conda. Or a Python.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1935 on: July 29, 2017, 06:50:41 PM

I actually mothballed my conda for now. I have it set as a barebones cargo hauler/explorer. Got it up to 56LY jump range empty so that's nice. I grabbed a python for some mission grinding and powerplay stuff and once I get this prismatic shield thing out of the way, I'll probably strip the python and store it away and go to town on the conda. I'm up to 95m saved with an A rated Python with some engineering. I'm actually enjoying things all things considered.

I did have my no insurance claim streak broken by some NPC asshat that got involved when I was interdicted by a pirate in a conda who pulled me out for the bounty on me. Was doing ok against the conda but then had another pirate drop in in a gunship wanting my lucky charms. 1 ring left against the conda, conda down to 33% hull, and my last ring drops with the gunship and then missiles... lots of missiles. Never had two different NPCs drop out on me, but live and die and learn.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
WayAbvPar

Reply #1936 on: July 30, 2017, 12:38:51 PM

I am quite rusty. I spent most of my playtime yesterday tweaking the UI back to where I had it. My joystick still feels really muddy and unresponsive...wonder if it is time to finally buy a new one? I have had this thing like 15 years I think LOL.

Had to flee from a fight in my Vulture because a Viper was handing me my ass. Like I said...RUSTY.  Made a couple of million doing courier missions with 16T in cargo space  awesome, for real

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1937 on: July 31, 2017, 01:15:18 AM

The culture shock of moving from your DBX to any other ship.

*Plots Course*  53 Jumps.  What the MotherLoving Fuck.

This is why I spend so much money and time transferring my ships through the UI.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1938 on: July 31, 2017, 04:05:28 AM

I usually fly there with my DBX and then transfer the ship I really need over. Even with the 30 minute wait period it's usually quicker (albeit more expensive). Nobody has time to travel 600 ly with a FDL that has 12 ly jump range.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1939 on: July 31, 2017, 04:28:54 AM

I guess a DBX could make sense as a taxi, but I've gone back to an Asp Explorer.

I did 45,000 LY in a DBX (Colonia and back, scanning everything on the way out) and though it's a pretty ship, the cockpit view SUCKS (can you tell it left a scar?). The fat bars down the middle of the screen are too ugly. And having done about 800 jumps with a 4A fuel scoop, I'm now a massive fan of the much faster 6A scoop on the Asp. Enough that I'm prepared to put up with a few less LY jump range, even on all my future exploration trips.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1940 on: July 31, 2017, 04:35:55 AM

It's the heat for me ;  The DBX handles heat just a metric fuckload better.  Cleopatra was ALWAYS cooking in every jump and heat was a worry - with Dervish, I just fucking jump the minute my drive is ready. 

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1941 on: July 31, 2017, 03:54:01 PM

I have played this for a bit.  Where is the real game?

I did buy a new ship. Cobra MkIII and that is much better than the loaner.  The upgraded Friendship Drive is super helpful.  I'm still running missions, though.  I want to buy turds from one place and sell them in another but it's shitty work.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1942 on: July 31, 2017, 05:35:13 PM

It's a simulation of the 400 billion star systems of the Milky Way galaxy in 3303 where faster than light travel is real and humans have expanded to tens of thousands of star systems. The real game is what you do with that. There are many different paths. Don't do what you find boring unless it's part of a grind you have decided upon.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1943 on: July 31, 2017, 05:57:53 PM

I launched and bumped into the space station. I picked a mission and I'm supposed to go somewhere, but the J button keeps telling me I don't have enough fuel. There is something about this game that makes me feel completely incompetent. I had an easier time landing (crashing) planes in Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1944 on: July 31, 2017, 07:55:19 PM

The learning curve should not be underestimated. There should be a google search window in the game or something. If you have a full fuel tank and it's telling you there isn't enough fuel for the first jump, I think you may need to re-plot the route on the galaxy map. You probably reconfigured something about your ship after plotting the route, changing the mass of your ship and now your jump range is slightly different from when the route was plotted.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1945 on: August 01, 2017, 10:38:49 AM

I think he is trying to say that you need to take on your cargo and fit your ship first, and THEN calculate the route to your destination.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WayAbvPar

Reply #1946 on: August 01, 2017, 01:29:15 PM

Speaking of route plotting- I got back into my ASP and decided to go into the dark. After 10 or 15 jumps, I heat-damaged myself and realized I didn't have any ammo for my AFMU. I pulled up one of the online databases to see how far back it would be to a station with repair and outfitting.

2 jumps.

I had forgotten to use fastest route when plotting my original 'exploration', so I spent a bunch of time jumping 7 LY at a time. Facepalm

I logged out night somewhere past Betelguese, but still haven't found any uncharted systems yet. I have seen a couple of far out planets that don't show as having a first discoverer in the system map, but when I get out to them I don't get any special message, so who knows.

Still no ammo for my AFMU, and my SRV is almost out of fuel. I am....not good at this game.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1947 on: August 01, 2017, 01:44:58 PM

There are some outposts out there that you can get ammo for your Repair system and refuel. Cant remember them off hand though. *Helpful comment award 2017*

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1948 on: August 01, 2017, 02:14:27 PM

I am truly bad at combat in this game, if it helps any.

What's worse is that I KNOW that I'm bad at it.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1949 on: August 01, 2017, 02:34:32 PM

Still no ammo for my AFMU, and my SRV is almost out of fuel. I am....not good at this game.

You can refuel your SRV while driving it, using synthesis (crafting). One unit of sulphur, one unit of phosphorus. Common on all planets and moons. You can even make advanced fuels that last longer, but there's not much point as the standard one is fine and the stuff used in the advanced fuels is needed for engineering.

You can restock the AFMU the same way, but with different materials (2 nickel, 2 zinc, 2 chromium, 3 vanadium). See lower down on the above linked page. Again there are premium versions that repair your ship faster, but all you want is your ship repaired.

Synthesis allows you to keep going as an explorer in deep space, long after the things you bought at a station have run out. You just can't repair your hull or power plant yet, and to repair the AFMU itself needs a second AFMU. But if your power plant or another vital system runs out of health, you can can "reboot and repair" (aka "have you tried turning it off and on again?") which cannibalises other systems to get it working again.

haven't found any uncharted systems yet. I have seen a couple of far out planets that don't show as having a first discoverer in the system map, but when I get out to them I don't get any special message, so who knows

The special message comes when you sell the exploration data at a station (Universal Cartographics). A pop-up saying "Congratulations commander, you are the first to discover..." So make sure you get safely back to to civilisation!

To get your name on an unclaimed thing, you need to have scanned it up close (target it within acceptable range, with a detailed surface scanner equipped on your ship -- different item from the advanced discovery scanner that honks).

My first fully undiscovered system was about 1000 LY from Sol. Even on common routes like Sag A and Colonia, if you first take a few jumps off course and then head slightly off centre to your destination, every system is undiscovered and claimable.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:31:00 PM by Tale »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1950 on: August 01, 2017, 03:40:08 PM

Yeah, my claimed system was in the coalsack, which is pretty much right next door.  It's all about finding that wee route off the path.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1951 on: August 01, 2017, 09:21:58 PM

I am truly bad at combat in this game, if it helps any.

What's worse is that I KNOW that I'm bad at it.

Before I went to Colonia, I spent many play sessions experimenting with loadouts, setting up equipment, and googling everything that I could think to ask about a big expedition. Days later, I decided "I'm ready". It was time to hit the road.

I launched from Ray Gateway in Diaguandri and plotted my first 1000 LY, made the first first jump and... crashed into the sun.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1952 on: August 01, 2017, 11:49:27 PM

Have found a few uncharted systems by now. Even got some Vanadium on a planet, so I can run my AFMU if needed. Have also read 70% of Ready Player One while I was exploring  awesome, for real

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1953 on: August 02, 2017, 01:41:50 AM

Why ?  That book is shit.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1954 on: August 02, 2017, 07:17:48 AM

People have been telling me to read it for years, and I wanted to get through it before the movie comes out. It is amusing enough, but will never be confused for literature.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1955 on: August 02, 2017, 08:36:45 AM

Anyone any good places to farm Arsenic ?  In game, I mean, I ain't trying to kill the wife or anything.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1956 on: August 02, 2017, 08:47:55 AM

Anyone any good places to farm Arsenic ?  In game, I mean, I ain't trying to kill the wife or anything.

No where with any huge concentrations. Find a planet with >1% and go SRV hunting.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1957 on: August 02, 2017, 02:27:27 PM

Anyone any good places to farm Arsenic ?  In game, I mean, I ain't trying to kill the wife or anything.

In Felicity Farseer"s own system, Deciat 6d and 6f are both 2.5% arsenic. Some people claim Deciat 7b is best, but it only says 1.5%. I've also read that you should have the arsenic-wanting blueprint pinned before you go looking for it, but I think that may be superstition.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 02:29:37 PM by Tale »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1958 on: August 02, 2017, 03:48:15 PM

Grand.  Now, theoretically, if I wanted to kill the wife.... ?

Terracotta Army

Reply #1959 on: August 02, 2017, 05:12:19 PM

Grand.  Now, theoretically, if I wanted to kill the wife.... ?

Go with belladonna, not arsenic. It's easy to get in the wild and you can't really trace it...

...and I've said too much.

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: