Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662341 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1890 on: July 07, 2017, 07:01:48 AM

Thinking about getting this on PS4.  You chaps seem to like it.  I like exploring space, hauling space goods for space dollars, and pretty space scenery.

Does it let me play with just my set of asshole pals?  Curious about the co-op abilities for aged introverts.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1891 on: July 07, 2017, 07:57:34 AM

Plays the same as PC. You can choose solo, private group (which you set) or play with asshats. Graphics are worse than PC obviously but better than XBONE (video comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDyi7Fwrxno). You will also have to deal with pop-in a bit on PS4 as all things render. For me, I don't much care, but some people are really bothered.

Open play is laggy so I hear and you will get disconnects here and there even in solo, though in solo they are few and far between, slightly more in private group, and much more in open asshat land.

Controls are customizable same as on PC if you need to and I hear this game takes advantage of the motion control in the DS4. I have the HOTAS so I can't comment if it works or is a rumor.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1892 on: July 07, 2017, 09:04:26 AM

Plays the same as PC.

This doesn't help me. Ohhhhh, I see.

Graphics are worse than PC obviously

Part of the deal on consoles.  I'm fine with that.

I have the HOTAS

Ah, sorry to hear.  Speedy recovery!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1893 on: July 07, 2017, 09:07:54 AM

More seriously, I have a T.Flight Stick X keeping part of my floor dust-free.  Wonder if it will work on PS4....

Terracotta Army

Reply #1894 on: July 07, 2017, 09:26:34 AM

More seriously, I have a T.Flight Stick X keeping part of my floor dust-free.  Wonder if it will work on PS4....

Not without a lot of help.

See: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/356301-PS4-HOTAS-Compatibility-Index
Confirmed Working

1. Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS 4

Confirmed NOT Working

1. There is no support for the TFRP (Thrustmaster T.flight Rudder Pedals)
2. Saitek X56
3. Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X
4. Thrustmaster 16000m FCS

However... you can probably do this, though I am not sure why anyone would... https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/360343-Elite-Dangerous-PS4-using-hotas-x52

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1895 on: July 07, 2017, 09:33:31 AM

Ah, yeah.  That goes against everything the Console Casual Race stands for.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1896 on: July 07, 2017, 09:45:08 AM

While screwing around in the PS4, I found out that you can invert the colors.  This inverts everything.  Not sure why people would want that, but it's there if you get bored.

Anyway, sounds like I might like it if Private Group does what it sounds like.  I do not mind SEEING other players but I don't want to have to deal with them or hear them talk.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1897 on: July 07, 2017, 10:07:52 AM

Looks like my buddy has already bought this game and forgot about it, so I'm in.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1898 on: July 07, 2017, 10:36:48 AM

I have a few friends on my list from the forums... seems like an older crowd in the game. Some of them will host a private group at times which you will need an invite to get into..but it keeps it to basically invite only. I am a part of the PvE Mobius crowd which seems fine. Only ran into one other player while in that private group, but then I was out grinding to elite so I wasn't surprised I haven't seen anyone.

I haven't played in asshat mode. I'd like not to have to fork over the 15m rebuy because someone thinks they are funny.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1899 on: July 07, 2017, 10:38:29 AM

I'm in the PVE Mobius as well;  indeed, you'll find me there to the exclusion of all else.  Feel free to throw Sugo on your friends list.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1900 on: July 07, 2017, 10:38:56 AM

I'm in the PVE Mobius as well;  indeed, you'll find me there to the exclusion of all else.  Feel free to throw Sugo on your friends list.

On PS4?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1901 on: July 07, 2017, 01:26:34 PM

No, fuck that.   why so serious?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1902 on: July 07, 2017, 02:20:20 PM

I did one tutorial and it is indeed possible to dodge an asteroid and reach a station using the Dualshock 4.

Independently confirmed that the T.Stick no workee.  This is fine.  I'll see about the PSVR ability eventually.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1903 on: July 07, 2017, 03:36:50 PM

I did one tutorial and it is indeed possible to dodge an asteroid and reach a station using the Dualshock 4.

Independently confirmed that the T.Stick no workee.  This is fine.  I'll see about the PSVR ability eventually.

The thrust master TFlight Hotas for PS4 also works on PC. So maybe get that one
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1904 on: July 07, 2017, 10:19:06 PM

Thinking about getting this on PS4.  You chaps seem to like it.  I like exploring space, hauling space goods for space dollars, and pretty space scenery.

Does it let me play with just my set of asshole pals?  Curious about the co-op abilities for aged introverts.

The "background simulation" (political events, status of each faction, etc, all influenced by player actions) is connected across all platforms, so even if they're on the PC version, you can talk about the same changing events. But to see each other, fly around together, drive on planets together, etc, you need to be on the same platform and in the same instance.

Mini-review: Give it time. It's hard to begin. You'll pass the learning curve eventually, and figure out how to make money. Do lots of reading and watch some YouTube videos. I still don't know everything despite 600 hours played, but I have a few ships, including one that does 56 light years per jump. I am exploring and happy. I've done combat and trading and passenger missions. I've stopped playing other games because this one is so vast and it just suits me. It's the year 3303 and the human race has expanded across about 19,000 star systems. But there are hundreds of billions of star systems in the game. It's been live for years now, but relative to the amount that there is to explore, hardly anything has been discovered.

Edit: this new video explains what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:30:55 PM by Tale »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1905 on: July 08, 2017, 06:41:33 AM

Controlling the SRV is a major dick.  I clearly need to redo the keybindings.

That said, Quince is STILL giving out 15mil plus for scan missions.  I've just spent and hour toodling about to get my cash back up after the Ferdie debacle.

Incidentally, my Ferdie is now awesome and I really like shooting things in him.  Python is still marginally better, but not as nimble or good looking.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1906 on: July 10, 2017, 01:54:28 AM

There's nothing like completing a fuckload of Road to Riches scans only to find out you hadn't installed the Detailed Surface Scanner the entire time.  Suddenly, my lack of Elite Status already becomes clear.

Ohhhhh, I see. Heartbreak

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1907 on: July 10, 2017, 02:08:07 AM

No big deal Ironwood, you're only getting 50% of what you could be getting if you had one  why so serious?

I made the same mistake once, that's why all of my ships now carry a discovery scanner/detailed surface scanner combo, even the Fer De Lance.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1908 on: July 10, 2017, 06:38:38 AM

There's nothing like completing a fuckload of Road to Riches scans only to find out you hadn't installed the Detailed Surface Scanner the entire time.  Suddenly, my lack of Elite Status already becomes clear.

Ohhhhh, I see. Heartbreak

What happens when you don't have one? Does it do the same "Scanning..." thing and give you the "Celestial body info gained" (or whatever it is) message, and just not tell you that it wasn't detailed? Never tried it without detailed scanner.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1909 on: July 10, 2017, 06:44:40 AM

Yeah, it scans fine and gives you a message that's subtly different to having one.  So much so that you won't notice.  And lose millions.  Because you're a cunt.

Goddammit.

What's worse is I tick off worlds that I've done by, er, erasing them from my notepad file.  So it just seems like way too much effort to go around and rescan them.  Ah well.  Chalking it up to experience.

Ah, just noticed Jeff's reply.  FUCK YOU JEFF.   why so serious?

Terracotta Army

Reply #1910 on: July 10, 2017, 07:54:04 AM

Yeah, it scans fine and gives you a message that's subtly different to having one.  So much so that you won't notice.  And lose millions.  Because you're a cunt.

Goddammit.

What's worse is I tick off worlds that I've done by, er, erasing them from my notepad file.  So it just seems like way too much effort to go around and rescan them.  Ah well.  Chalking it up to experience.

Yeah that situation blows ass. Luckily I followed the guide verbatim so I didn't leave without my goodies. Wish I could say the same for my SRV hangar. I been working on overcharge grade 5 all of my multicannons so I was out in an RES for a very long time - so I usually leave the buggy and hangar in storage and put something else in the slot. Found out I needed to grab some firmware by scanning a few installations. Jump the 151ly, fly down to the 1.3g world. Fuss around with trying to land... face plant, take 30% damage on the crash.... Finally land and go to deploy. Back in storage. Fly off to the nearest station, no hangars for sale, transfer the hangar and buggies - 34 minutes. I logged out to cool off. 

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1911 on: July 10, 2017, 11:19:38 PM

Been there, done that lost 60 million credits in the process. Since then A-rated discovery scanner and detailed surface scanner are the second and third upgrade I buy after a-rated FSD and I equip them on all ships even pure combat vessels. There's a lot of money to be made just by honking unknown systems and scanning the rare ELW or terraformable while commuting in the bubble.

Most of my minor faction reputation gains and most of my initial explorer rank up to and including Ranger have come from exploring while travelling inside the bubble.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1912 on: July 10, 2017, 11:19:58 PM

208 thargoid sites have been found so far
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1913 on: July 11, 2017, 01:09:37 AM

What's happening with them though ?  They doing anything yet ?

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1914 on: July 11, 2017, 11:26:13 PM

Photos from my trip to Colonia and back, in a Diamondback Explorer called "Giant Leap". Gameplay scattered over 3.5 weeks of my life.

Made 70 million from detailed scans on my way out. Then 12 million doing honk-scoop-jump on my way home. The fast return drove me crazy... much preferred the variety of slow exploration.

Stripped down my ship for 57 ly jump range on return trip: fuel scoop (weightless), AFMS (weightless), docking computer (weightless), smallest possible fuel tank (8T), advanced discovery scanner. Limited the Galaxy Map to K G B F O A M stars, scooped on every jump. DBX stays so cool you can hit jump while still in scooping range. That said, I'm going back to an Asp Explorer for the view.

WTF seriously... this is NOT an Earth-like?

Arrival.

"In democracy's name!" *drinks*

Dream big, Carla of Colonia.

Jump, honk, sc... BRAKE

Jump, honk, sc... BRAKE AGAIN

BALLS.

A busy system.

Ringed water world, planet 4 in the above system, with its neighbouring gas giant (and Barnard's Loop photobomb).

Can't sleep. Too many suns.

Need a new paint job after all that.

I told you it was made of cheese.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:01:19 AM by Tale »
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1915 on: July 12, 2017, 12:09:24 AM

Nothing wakes you quite like seeing your ship exit hyperspace between a pair of binaries or through the corona of a star.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1916 on: July 12, 2017, 09:46:03 PM

208 thargoid sites have been found so far

They just discovered two more by correcting errors. Some speculation the total might be 256.

What's happening with them though ?  They doing anything yet ?

The sites vary. They are all inhabited by alien drones called Scavengers. Some sites are inaccessible due to apparent cave-ins. Most however contain the same central chamber with a massive device which shows an incredible star map lightshow when fed an Unknown Artefact, Unknown Device, and Unknown Link.  If Guardian tech is inserted instead, the device gets visibly angry and spews fire and explosions and damage, and the Scavengers attack. This suggests to me that Guardian-based weapons will be what we'll have to develop to fight the Thargoids.

Other than that, they don't seem to do anything other than point to each other and be incredibly atmospheric. I haven't physically been to one yet, just watched videos.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1917 on: July 15, 2017, 02:06:11 AM

That's me finally hit Elite in Exploration.  Amazing what having the right fucking scanner can do to the rate of change.

Now on to getting that trading rank.   Heartbreak

Terracotta Army

Reply #1918 on: July 15, 2017, 03:33:05 AM

That's me finally hit Elite in Exploration.  Amazing what having the right fucking scanner can do to the rate of change.

About time old man...  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1919 on: July 15, 2017, 08:24:24 AM

Do you like pain and suffering?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1920 on: July 15, 2017, 08:43:09 AM

That's the names of my testicles.

Also, wee heel.  But that's another story.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1921 on: July 24, 2017, 02:12:59 AM

Okay, so the Quince Money Bank continues.  I don't know if it's because I'm Elite now (probably) but all these scans are coming in at a million-4 million.  And it'll give you about nine of them at a time.  And it's literally 8 minutes work.  So money is all fine.

I'm currently grinding out the Engineers and have got and maxed almost all of them.  Just doing those fucking Modular Terminals right now.

I'm happy with all my ships, apart from the Anaconda, that is getting slowly to where I want to get it to.  Just waiting to get the big fuck off Powerplant that costs more than the goddamn ship.

I keep trying my hand at combat, but to be honest I find it hugely boring, so it's going quite slowly.

Thargoids have not yet eaten me.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1922 on: July 24, 2017, 07:16:24 AM

I just landed at one of the Thargoid sites, in HIP 14909. If you arrive at Obsidian Orbital in Maia, you get sent a new mission to retrieve some alien items, so I was trying to do that. Was playing in solo and didn't have a UA/UP to open the door, so I left after killing a few scavengers and scooping up the things they dropped. Overall it was cool to have been there... Very MMO dungeon-like POI. Amazing to see that existing in a game galaxy of this scale.

I went to Maia because I'm doing Road to Riches and turning in my data after every 50 systems. I'm using it to make myself allied to all the factions in all the systems I want to use for various purposes in the future. Finding Road to Riches a grind, after 250 of the 550 systems. When it gets me to Elite I'll quit doing it and go adventuring.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1923 on: July 25, 2017, 05:29:33 AM

Just doing those fucking Modular Terminals right now.

Are you not getting those in Quince?

I went down to Wu Guinagi to pull enough missions to get mine
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1924 on: July 25, 2017, 06:44:35 AM

Yes, I am.  This does not distract from the arsehole that is collecting them.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: