Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:59:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662385 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1855 on: June 26, 2017, 06:15:16 PM

Thargoid Base found. Unknown Artefact and Unknown Probe function as keys to open the doors.

System HIP 19026, Planet B 1 C, lat: -17 long: -152 (now gank central, so play in Solo/Private).

Pics here.

Some videos in this Reddit thread, including this video (skip first part).
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1856 on: June 27, 2017, 06:11:58 AM

What's inside the Thargoid base.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1857 on: June 27, 2017, 07:25:44 AM

Goddamn, I'm missing all this.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1858 on: June 27, 2017, 07:35:54 AM

It seems that Elite is turning into another EVE for me as it seems more fun to read about what's happening than to try and actually participate in it (this was especially true with trying to find new ruins etc)  Ohhhhh, I see.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1859 on: June 27, 2017, 08:45:21 AM

PS4 just got off the ground and is struggling with the OPEN part. I logged in this morning before work just to knock out the account linking and holo me stuff. So PS4 players are going to be playing catch up for the next year and will barely be in the story.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1860 on: June 27, 2017, 03:38:28 PM

PS4 just got off the ground and is struggling with the OPEN part. I logged in this morning before work just to knock out the account linking and holo me stuff. So PS4 players are going to be playing catch up for the next year and will barely be in the story.

There is plenty to do at the beginning, and there's always more stuff to learn, BUT there are quick opportunities to be involved in the story. Jump range is the only barrier. Fortunately, some of the cheapest ships have potentially massive jump ranges. Many experienced players actually take a dirt-cheap ship to these events.

If I were starting again (which I've just done, to set up a second account on PC), I think something like the following might work for quick catch-up and story involvement:

(REVISED 30 June)

• Choose to start as a "new commander" in space, not on a Horizons planet. On the newbie ship, I'd sell both lasers, because they're dead weight unless you're spoiling for a fight. Extra mass is the enemy of jump range. What you want first is cargo delivery missions from the mission board (names like "Deliver 4 units of Food" or "Boom time delivery of 3 units of Chemical Processors", etc). Look through the lists and hopefully you'll find cargo delivery missions that tend to pay about 100k each. If you can't find any of them, do data delivery missions which pay 10k-20k and look for ~100k cargo delivery missions at your destinations.

• Bind the Basic Discovery Scanner (part of your default ship) to a fire group, so you can use it like firing a weapon. Whenever you enter a system, fire the discovery scanner (this is called "honking" due to the sound it makes). Scanning any system or celestial body is worth money even if you're not the first to scan it. You can sell the data to Universal Cartographics (available everywhere) when you are more than 20 ly from the system you scanned.

• Your main aim is to be upgrading your Frame Shift Drive, which determines jump range. This will open up the galaxy to you. When you can afford it, maybe also add an extra cargo bay to increase your Sidewinder's capacity from 4T to 6T, which means you can take 5T and 6T delivery missions (not that it makes a huge difference). With cargo delivery missions, you should soon reach a 2A Frame Shift Drive (available at many large stations).

• A good ship to buy for quick story involvement is a Hauler. It's cheap, significantly increases your trading capacity to 22T, but the main thing is it has one of the best jump ranges in the game. It does all this with the same 2A Frame Shift Drive as the Sidewinder used, so make sure you keep that (store it) before you buy the Hauler. Other modules rated D are the lightest weight (even A-rated is heavier) and lower mass means more jump range, so upgrade any E-rated modules to D. If you can reach them, the systems influenced/controlled by Li-Yong Rui are best for buying ships and equipment, as everyone gets a 15% discount. Many people use Ray Station in Diaguandri. Many veteran pilots still keep a Hauler around to use as a taxi for things like story events and reaching their stored ships.

• Buy the best possible Fuel Scoop and learn how to use it to refuel (star types K G B F O A M can be scooped). When you can afford it, also add a Detailed Surface Scanner, which allows you to target suns, planets and moons and scan them for more money (you have to fly within scanning range). When you feel ready, start using the "Road to Riches" link quoted below to visit and scan high-value systems. At first it will be a "honk" with the Basic Discovery Scanner, and flying up to some planets/moons and doing the Detailed Surface Scanner thing. When you can, upgrade your Discovery Scanner, which extends its range and earns you more money. Ultimately the best scanner gives you infinite range and captures all bodies in a system. When you've scanned as many systems from the Road to Riches list as you want, return to a station and sell the data to Universal Cartographics. Here are your earnings.

"Road to Riches" - someone has mapped a route from the bubble, scanning 301 earth-like and terraformable water worlds in 241 systems within 200ly of the starting point, to generate exploration data worth 280 million credits (plus lots of faction/engineer standing). Aimed at helping new players make money, but could be useful for anyone.

• Other methods: Get out of the starting system into a high-tech system (use the filters on the galaxy map to find one, and sell newbie cargo rack/lasers to buy a fuel scoop to travel there) and consider it your first "home". Inhabit the surrounding systems, finding cargo/data delivery missions that pay well... or any other mission type that will earn you money fast. Systems in Famine or Civil War or Boom states have desperate/wealthy clients who pay well. Or find a Resource Extraction Site (preferably High Intensity, but NOT a Hazardous one) and follow the cops around to see what they shoot at, and get a shot in at each of the pirates the cops shoot. You then share the bounty (survive and land to claim bounty via Contacts at a station). Alternatively just find the best nearby trade loop and repeat it over and over, with the most cargo racks you can equip. But the other methods are faster.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:28:09 PM by Tale »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1861 on: June 27, 2017, 09:24:31 PM

As sounds have previously been relevant, players generated a spectrogram image from sounds emitted by the device in the Thargoid base.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:50:28 PM by Tale »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1862 on: June 28, 2017, 12:08:44 AM

That's seriously cool.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1863 on: June 28, 2017, 10:32:56 AM

Fuck that Palin unlock. I didn't need G5 Dirty Drives anyway.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1864 on: June 29, 2017, 04:09:48 AM

Wait, isn't that the 5,000 ly one ?  Surely you've done that already from your previous postings ?

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1865 on: June 29, 2017, 08:28:27 AM

25 unknown fragments.

You only get those from rare unknown signal sources around the Pleiades sector. One per source. Gave up after three hours and not encountered a single one.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1866 on: June 29, 2017, 08:38:24 AM

Wow.  That does sound like it sucks absolute balls.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1867 on: June 29, 2017, 02:41:18 PM

25 unknown fragments.

You only get those from rare unknown signal sources around the Pleiades sector. One per source. Gave up after three hours and not encountered a single one.

Found a post that says they can be obtained in bulk from a specific alien crash site.

Edit: video shows how. I have no sound at the moment, so apologies if he's got some kind of whiny voice/bad music :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:59:10 PM by Tale »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1868 on: June 29, 2017, 04:38:26 PM

There's a lot happening.

136 Thargoid bases have now been discovered, in various systems. They are all a bit different from each other. This all coincides with the release of the new Drew Wagar novel (the author of the earlier Salome story), which apparently is very good and gives the background and sets up the future events.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:40:45 PM by Tale »
Terracotta Army

Reply #1869 on: June 30, 2017, 04:57:56 AM

25 unknown fragments.

Found a post that says they can be obtained in bulk from a specific alien crash site.

Edit: video shows how. I have no sound at the moment, so apologies if he's got some kind of whiny voice/bad music :)

Can confirm you can get them from the crashed ship sites as thats where I got mine
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1870 on: July 01, 2017, 03:03:16 AM

The "Road to Riches" data is now a tool: http://edtools.ddns.net/expl.php

This allows you to create a route from where you are in the Bubble to every known Earth-like, Water World and Terraformable High Metal Content planet within a few hundred light years. Scanning these is worth 400k to 700k each, so after a short time you come back with millions worth. There's also a "visited" box to click on each to mark them off. Full explanation here.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1871 on: July 01, 2017, 03:51:40 AM

This allows you to create a route from where you are in the Bubble to every known Earth-like, Water World and Terraformable High Metal Content planet within a few hundred light years. Scanning these is worth 400k to 700k each, so after a short time you come back with millions worth. There's also a "visited" box to click on each to mark them off. Full explanation here.

Started using this on Thursday. Only problem with the app is it didn't save any of my stuff, so I printed out a few sheets and went old school pen and paper. 3 pages in and I have 120m... god damn it.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1872 on: July 01, 2017, 04:11:51 AM

Crashed alien ships work for fragments, but boy are those sites broken.

Visited all three sites. Point of Interest markers don't work. On one site the POI marker is 5 Mm from the planet, on another it's 3 Mm inside the planet, on the third you can't land, you can touch down but ship will not go to landed mode and the POI is always 3 km out regardless of the direction you fly in). (Also you get the "safe disengage ready" notice instead of planetary approach)

Had to look up the coordinates via the wiki and manually fly to them (the recommended solution according to Reddit and the official forums). The site I visited was half clipping through the ground, all the unknown fragments were below the surface due to clipping meaning that I couldn't shoot them (collision was still calculated) and my SRV "sunk" and clipped through the ground. I had serious concerns that it might fall through the surface at some point.

Took me about an hour to manually find a site that wasn't broken and another 10 minutes to get all the fragments I needed.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1873 on: July 01, 2017, 09:25:36 AM

That would be perfect if you could integrate it with an 'already visited' list.  Yes, I get that you can click them, but....

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1874 on: July 02, 2017, 04:30:52 AM

Lave is on lockdown.  Where the fuck do I get my Lavian brandy now ?

why so serious?

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1875 on: July 03, 2017, 06:39:07 PM

That would be perfect if you could integrate it with an 'already visited' list.  Yes, I get that you can click them, but....

This might work better - a version of the Road to Riches data with a "restart from here" feature (you'd need to note where you're up to, and resume from there): https://www.alpha-orbital.com/pathfinder

It also has "copy to clipboard" for system names and you can check them off as you visit them.

Meanwhile the community has found 135 more Thargoid bases.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1876 on: July 04, 2017, 11:45:12 AM

Yeah, I have Elite.Txt to do the same job.   awesome, for real

Thargoids man.  We're gonna be fucked soon.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1877 on: July 04, 2017, 01:45:56 PM

Grinded out Elite exploration off that list on PS4. Haven't done that in a long long time. Now onto mining.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1878 on: July 04, 2017, 03:03:35 PM

That's... quite quick.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1879 on: July 04, 2017, 04:26:07 PM

Tell me about it.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1880 on: July 04, 2017, 06:12:44 PM

LOL. I've just reached Colonia for the first time, after scanning many full systems along the way. I've just cashed in 50 million of exploration data to reach allied with lots of factions in the Colonia region, with a few more pages of data still to go, and my exploration rank is just Ranger.

Almost every system I visited along the way was a new discovery (I went slightly left and upward from the direct route to Colonia). I'm flying a DBX geared to 53 ly per jump with a half-sized fuel tank, limiting my route to K G B F O A M stars and scooping on every jump. It stays so cool that you can actually finish scooping and immediately activate the FSD without overheating. I might strip it down to just the discovery scanner and hot-foot it home, jump-honking, to do the Road to Riches before they nerf it somehow! I already did a bit of it on a second account to quickly equip it to participate in Bubble/Thargoid activities while my main is out in the black.

Now onto mining.

Mining is peaceful, but I didn't find it fun. It made me want to do combat. I am puzzled that you would pick mining as the next thing, as you don't need money - is it because you want stuff for engineering? The most important engineer is Felicity Farseer to get your FSD range high, and she doesn't need you to mine.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:21:43 PM by Tale »
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1881 on: July 04, 2017, 06:24:20 PM

After the rebalancing of the exploration payouts you need 300 million (give or take) in exploration data to reach Elite Explorer from Zero.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1882 on: July 04, 2017, 06:40:24 PM

I don't have a problem with that. It was grindy like that in the 1980s (back then I only ever reached Deadly, the rank before Elite). It's just funny that I have spent three weeks travelling through deep space, but 01101010 is Elite explorer in a few days and has barely left the bubble. Gotta take my own advice and run the riches route.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1883 on: July 04, 2017, 06:46:48 PM

I don't have a problem with that. It was grindy like that in the 1980s (back then I only ever reached Deadly, the rank before Elite). It's just funny that I have spent three weeks travelling through deep space, but 01101010 is Elite explorer in a few days and has barely left the bubble. Gotta take my own advice and run the riches route.

Started Tuesday evening. Ran my sidewinder around some HIGH RES to collect enough starter money to get a hauler and mod it with all D rated stuff save for the A FSD. Added the ADS and DSS along with a B rated scoop and then just grinded out enough for the anaconda. Once I had that, I decided to pick up where I stopped after an upgrade to the FSD and then REALLY grinded it out.

And yeah I did a mining run before deciding I should just finish out the ELITE ranking... hence the dealer thing. And I also picked up a 8A power plant as a souvenir from Jameson. They always get you in the gift shop.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1884 on: July 05, 2017, 06:03:57 AM

I'm still weirded out.  That's Rapid Mode.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1885 on: July 05, 2017, 07:49:36 AM

So, theoretically, how would you outfit the Fer De Lance so it's not an unholy godawful piece of shit ?

Assume A rating on all the normal items.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1886 on: July 05, 2017, 09:57:13 AM

So, theoretically, how would you outfit the Fer De Lance so it's not an unholy godawful piece of shit ?

Assume A rating on all the normal items.

Hated that ship when I was fucking about on the PC. Vulture was way better for me in combat and the python years ahead in terms of jumping and cargo. Go for broke  and kit it out with all railguns.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1887 on: July 05, 2017, 10:21:36 AM

Hated that ship when I was fucking about on the PC. Vulture was way better for me in combat and the python years ahead in terms of jumping and cargo. Go for broke  and kit it out with all railguns.

Is there even a size 4 railgun?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1888 on: July 05, 2017, 10:36:49 AM

If not, put a 3 in it. Look, do combat right and get a gun ship and kit it with nothing but multicannons... like the video says to do. DAKAKAKAKAKA

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1889 on: July 05, 2017, 01:13:28 PM

If not, put a 3 in it. Look, do combat right and get a gun ship and kit it with nothing but multicannons... like the video says to do. DAKAKAKAKAKA

Or do the combat totally wrong like I did with my imperial cutter; just fill it with energy weapon turrets and a npc fighter (and one extended range weapon to pull in the enemies) and then park it at the edge of npc encounter and just sit there until you are bored or accidentally draw more than one cutter at a time in which case it's better to flee.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: