Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:18:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662496 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1820 on: June 11, 2017, 11:05:16 AM

Yeah.   That's all I have to say about that.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Elite needs a stash tab.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1821 on: June 11, 2017, 07:25:02 PM

I just found and scanned my first fully unexplored system, about 1000 ly from Sol. And it had an Earth-like world!

I also found a system with two big, white ice worlds just 0.01 ls from each other (almost no distance apart). I've got a screenshot of them side-by-side, like two snowballs in space, with my red Asp in front. I'll post the screenshots and locations once I get back to the bubble.

The snowball twins... these were both big rocky ice worlds, just 0.01 ls from each other, about 800 ly from the bubble.

Further along, my first full system discovery, an interesting mix including an earth-like world, only about 1000 ly from the bubble.

Made sure I went for a mining drive on the sole landable rock.

And reached the big blue planet at the end, dreaming it was a massive water world. Gas giant, of course.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:10:10 AM by Tale »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1822 on: June 12, 2017, 01:09:33 AM

SJMV ?  That's kinda minimalist.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Lovely pics though.  I seriously love people who bring back the holiday snaps for us.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1823 on: June 12, 2017, 01:39:18 AM

SJMV ?  That's kinda minimalist.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

It's my real life initials. I first bought Elite in 2015 and stuck that in the name slot, not realising anyone would ever see it smiley

And my Asp is called Trek 520 because I have piloted one thousands of kilometres in real life (google it).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:41:53 AM by Tale »
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1824 on: June 12, 2017, 02:12:21 AM

Congratulations. I usually forget to take any pictures of my exploits so nice to see you took some.

Interestingly enough the "You have been the first to..." screen always gives me a nice feeling. Even though it's just virtual planets in a game.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1825 on: June 12, 2017, 02:17:20 AM

My verdict after 2 weeks of owning an Anaconda:

I usually fly my Python. Don't get why it's so popular. SC handling (you know the place you spend most of your time in) is really bad. Evading interdictions is a chore because the turning speed is so low and it handles like a bucket full of bricks even with A rated thrusters. Is practically useless in dogfights without turrets because you don't catch anything quicker than a snail in your crosshairs.

I regret spending 300 million on it.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1826 on: June 12, 2017, 02:51:48 AM

Some people like slow turning graceful bricks. I know I do.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1827 on: June 12, 2017, 03:36:14 AM

The view of Jeff is also my view.

Do Not Like.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1828 on: June 13, 2017, 04:44:27 PM

E3 announcement: 2.4 update, called "The Return", is indeed Thargoids.

Cue fucked-up Federation ships in HIP 17044, and a teaser trailer with nice sound. Oh and David Braben talking about it.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1829 on: June 15, 2017, 11:12:02 PM

Report of Braben showing a video of Thargoid tunnels.

As they moved closer to the surface they began maneuvering over what I initially thought might be a crashed Thargoid ship. But the closer the pilot got, the larger the structure appeared.

It was almost as if the surface of the planet itself had opened up like a gigantic mouth, leaving behind a huge crater lined with jagged, tooth-like structures.

I watched, mesmerized, as the ship landed and the pilot disembarked into a tiny, six-wheeled rover. Soon, they were completely underground, driving along inside of a tunnel or a cave. Egg-like sacks popped and splattered beneath the rover’s wheels. Eventually, an unusual, drone-sized vessel called a Scavenger appeared, leading the player through a series of doors toward a large, central room.

And that’s when the video stopped.

cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #1830 on: June 16, 2017, 12:05:31 AM

Dungeons in Elite? Did someone challenge them to add a feature that even Star Citizen didnt think of promising?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1831 on: June 16, 2017, 08:16:22 AM

All we need now is the Russian Mafia taking them over to sell the proceeds for real cash, and the Eve Online experience will be complete.

Semi seriously, if they add dungeons the Harry Poopers will be camping the entrances 24/7, so it will be one more thing to encourage people to engage their Romulan Cloaking devices of "fuck open play."

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1832 on: June 19, 2017, 07:34:59 PM

HOT

(edit) System LP 469-60 in the bubble
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:46:22 PM by Tale »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1833 on: June 20, 2017, 12:13:43 AM

Makes a dragon wanna retire man.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1834 on: June 20, 2017, 10:34:02 AM

I see that you posted it to Redit as well. Great picture.

Scariest moment of my ED career so far was exiting hyperspace passing through the corona of a star in a binary star system.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1835 on: June 20, 2017, 10:26:12 PM

For Ironwood: this name had me laughing in my space madness; "it isnae terraformable, but 5 minutes with the hairdryer..."

Sorry.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1836 on: June 21, 2017, 12:55:13 AM

Can't help myself. Took this about 1/3 of the way to Colonia.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1837 on: June 21, 2017, 01:06:14 AM

For Ironwood: this name had me laughing in my space madness; "it isnae terraformable, but 5 minutes with the hairdryer..."

Sorry.

Don't apologise, I'm sharing that weegie-wise.

Also, you shouldn't apologise for those beautiful pics, keep 'em coming.  I wish I could figure out the camera controls myself, but I'd have to, you know, configure some first....

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1838 on: June 21, 2017, 01:45:54 AM

I wish I could figure out the camera controls myself, but I'd have to, you know, configure some first....

I haven't figured them out yet either. Seems to require a lot of key mapping.

Ctrl+Alt+Space switches it on/off (by default). I''ve mapped ONE keypress beyond that: hide the HUD (I mapped it to Ctrl+H). I go into that view, then fly my ship with normal flight controls to line up the shot (the default F10 to take screenshot).

That's why my ship is in all the shots. I can't zoom in/out or fly the camera around until I map those :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 01:48:03 AM by Tale »
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1839 on: June 21, 2017, 07:54:41 AM

The PS4 version comes out next week. Has anyone played or heard anything about it?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1840 on: June 21, 2017, 05:04:20 PM

The PS4 version comes out next week. Has anyone played or heard anything about it?

Preordered... on a couple discussion groups on PS4 for it. But obviously can't play it yet. Early download which is nice.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1841 on: June 21, 2017, 05:31:04 PM

Things I've read about:

• (EDIT: this point is not correct - see below) It's the same game. But the PC, Xbox and PS4 versions are all separate versions of the galaxy. There is no cross-platform play. If I had a PS4 I'd become an explorer and get my commander name on systems near Lave and Sol in this fresh galaxy.

• I'd get the Commander Deluxe Edition, which includes Horizons (the expansion, treated as a season pass, with the aliens imminent). The standard version will be the same as Elite: Dangerous without Horizons.
  • It will have the same massive learning curve. I'm 550 hours in, and I'm still learning.
  • It has HOTAS support. I use mouse and keyboard and I can't imagine using a console controller, but I'm sure it works just fine on the Xbone and will be fine on PS4.
  • PSVR support should be impressive. Elite: Dangerous was designed from the ground up to support VR. It's one of the best VR experiences you can have. They have promised PS4 Pro extras, so I'd assume superior VR on that console.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:02:31 PM by Tale »
Terracotta Army

Reply #1842 on: June 21, 2017, 06:43:52 PM

Things I've read about:

• It's the same game. But the PC, Xbox and PS4 versions are all separate versions of the galaxy. There is no cross-platform play. If I had a PS4 I'd become an explorer and get my commander name on systems near Lave and Sol in this fresh galaxy.
  • I'd get the Commander Deluxe Edition, which includes Horizons (the expansion, treated as a season pass, with the aliens imminent). The standard version will be the same as Elite: Dangerous without Horizons.
  • It will have the same massive learning curve. I'm 550 hours in, and I'm still learning.
  • It has HOTAS support. I use mouse and keyboard and I can't imagine using a console controller, but I'm sure it works just fine on the Xbone and will be fine on PS4.
  • PSVR support should be impressive. Elite: Dangerous was designed from the ground up to support VR. It's one of the best VR experiences you can have. They have promised PS4 Pro extras, so I'd assume superior VR on that console.

Sadly, number 1 there is not true exactly. The galaxy is shared in the background and each platform influences the same galaxy, but you can only interact with the same platform playerbase. So something discovered on 1 is discovered on all...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/313815-Cross-platform-play

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1843 on: June 24, 2017, 11:37:48 AM

Allegedly SDC and other PvP groups plan to sabotage the PS4 release by ganking new players in the starter zones and fucking up the background economy to put those systems in lockdown to make it harder for new players to make money.

Unless their "demands" are met by Frontier Developments.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1844 on: June 24, 2017, 12:34:32 PM

Allegedly SDC and other PvP groups plan to sabotage the PS4 release by ganking new players in the starter zones and fucking up the background economy to put those systems in lockdown to make it harder for new players to make money.

Precisely why I am going closed circuit for awhile. Zero reason to deal with muppets getting their HAHAs at the expense of other players.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1845 on: June 24, 2017, 12:44:43 PM

"What a mess that would be" said frontier developments. "If only we had learned something in the years we have been running this game that would have allowed us to engineer a way to prevent this kind of catastrophic playerbase-killing wankery?"
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1846 on: June 24, 2017, 02:16:41 PM

"The reason they're doing this is that they have a list of demands about how they want the game to change. These include reworking engineers, changing how the block function works, BGS effects from solo and PG, and various other concerns frequently brought up by the PvP community." (from the Reddit thread I won't bother linking to)

From what I can gather from the thread (which is not that much because it has since degenerated into name calling, an ontological debate about the term "sociopath" and infighting) those groups are basically pissed off about two things.

1. Frontier fixed an engineering exploit that let you get level 5 rolls with level 1 materials. Which was used by most of the PvP fanatics to get "god rolls" on internal modules. Frontier decided to remove the illegally obtained engineering mods and also all other legitimate rolls made by that player on the same ship. The argument seems to be that since engineers are broken and a massive grind they should have been entitled to cheat because others could get god rolls on the first try or something. They are also furious because they lost basically most of their advantage in PvP.

2. Basically a complaint that they find fewer and fewer people they can gank engage in PvP with as people can go to solo or private group or block players and basically never encounter them while having the same amount of fun and effect on the simulated galaxy. Basically force people to play in open to get all of the 'benefits' of the game, including participation in community goals.

I don't actually know if they can really do what they plan or if Frontier has any sort of countermeasures in place (going by past experience with FDev and the game I doubt it).

I just found it pretty silly that they actually think they can achieve anything by threatening FDevs revenue stream and the launch of their game on a new platform.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1847 on: June 24, 2017, 11:40:44 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #1848 on: June 25, 2017, 11:15:31 AM

When I was running muds, I had no problem spawning high level mobs, switching in to them, and griefing assholes publicly.  If I was Frontier, I would spawn a fleet of Frontier-controlled Thargoid ships and lay waste to the whole lot of them.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1849 on: June 25, 2017, 12:55:05 PM

The irony in that one would be watching the cowardly fuckers disconn one at a time.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1850 on: June 25, 2017, 02:46:15 PM

The irony in that one would be watching the cowardly fuckers disconn one at a time All at once and then cry on the forums with all their 5 accounts.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1851 on: June 25, 2017, 03:21:00 PM

The only thing griefers have in their favour is new players' lack of understanding that you can switch between Solo, Open and Private Group at any time, without penalty, and continue playing.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1852 on: June 26, 2017, 08:04:14 AM

The easy fix would be to start new players in Solo, leave Private Group available, and make them play for some amount of time before switching to Open.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Terracotta Army

Reply #1853 on: June 26, 2017, 08:46:24 AM

The easy fix would be to start new players in Solo, leave Private Group available, and make them play for some amount of time before switching to Open.

But that would stagnate emergent content!!!

!!

Now, I'm not exactly sure what their definition of that it... but to me it comes across as letting players dictate the story and conditions and environment of your game, either by choice or by not actually having any countermeasures built in to curb asshat behavior. Instead of figuring that out, just give it a cool name... you know, like bigly.  Ohhhhh, I see.

As toxic as GTA online is, at least they have the whole passive playstyle option and it works for the majority of the time.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1854 on: June 26, 2017, 04:26:00 PM

Good idea.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: