Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:41:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662289 times)
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #1785 on: June 02, 2017, 07:28:45 AM

So they are actually centering the game around a single player/player group? That seems odd.

It looks like going to certain locations - of which we've just seen one, twice - and scanning or mining fires off that event, since H Potter and his wizard pals were there to see if they, too, could make it happen.  I kinda suspect that someone had some hints dropped of where to go and to be recording video in the first case, though.

It's super-impressive, though: I wish that the Eve team had built in the ability to script events like that.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1786 on: June 02, 2017, 01:42:13 PM

Yeah I think HP was live streaming at a barnacle (when else would he be found there?) specifically because of early reports that people had triggered this event.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #1787 on: June 02, 2017, 02:06:56 PM

Was that a special kickstarter reward? "For 50K, we focus the entire game around you, no matter how much of an asshole you are"

This is starting to sound like when Eve devs got caught helping certain corps cheat.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1788 on: June 02, 2017, 02:48:37 PM

Er, I'm saying it's NOT that.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #1789 on: June 03, 2017, 12:54:32 AM

Was that a special kickstarter reward? "For 50K, we focus the entire game around you, no matter how much of an asshole you are"

This is starting to sound like when Eve devs got caught helping certain corps cheat.

In opposites world, yeah.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #1790 on: June 03, 2017, 02:39:29 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad the devs aren't like that.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1791 on: June 04, 2017, 10:45:21 PM

"Road to Riches" - someone has mapped a route from the bubble, scanning 301 earth-like and terraformable water worlds in 241 systems within 200ly of the starting point, to generate exploration data worth 280 million credits (plus lots of faction/engineer standing). Aimed at helping new players make money, but could be useful for anyone.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:47:06 PM by Tale »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1792 on: June 05, 2017, 01:56:49 AM

I'm liking that, though more for the final push to Elite Exploration.

I'm going to sort it once I've done my current Engineer Grind.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1793 on: June 05, 2017, 09:03:11 AM

I will use it to get the last 9% AI need to reach Elite explorer.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1794 on: June 05, 2017, 02:48:17 PM

Made it back to the bubble today.

Selling all of my exploration data made me 102 million credits and pushed me from 44% pioneer to 91% pioneer. I made quite a few first discoveries as well. Spent the saved credits on an Anaconda and a first set of upgrades. Visited the first 22 stars on the road to riches list for the final 20 million needed to get Elite Exploration. 283 million credits in total according to the in game stats.

I also used my explorer data to unlock a few permit locked systems as well. The last trip was about 65,000 ly and it took me about two weeks to get to Colonia, Sagittarius A* and back.

I don't think that I will do something like this again any time soon.

The Anaconda is a bit scary to handle still, considering the 10 mil rebuy and the fact that she seems to nearly scratch the mail slot.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1795 on: June 05, 2017, 03:51:30 PM

The Anaconda is a fucking con.

Seriously.

A Fucking Con.

Mine has spent most of the time in the garage.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1796 on: June 05, 2017, 04:32:28 PM

This thing will cost a Billion to upgrade completely. The 8A power plant alone cost me 138 Million credits.
So the con is probably that it's a huge money sink?

Handles like a bucket full of bricks in super cruise.

Nice touch: they added reverb to the voice and sound samples when you're on the Anaconda because of the huge bridge.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1797 on: June 06, 2017, 07:12:38 AM

I have all the bells and whistles for the Anaconda excepting the power plant that costs more than the ship.

It sits in a garage and I don't take it out because of the stupid rebuy cost and the fact it's a brick that you can barely get out of dock.

It can make 1.5 Million per trade run, but Elena can make more than that with passengers in half the time.  I daren't take it into combat because, you know, fuck that.

It's pish.  Everything I would do with it, I could do better with a nice wee python.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1798 on: June 06, 2017, 07:28:55 AM

I plan on using mine as a mining ship.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Don't give me that look...

That's even if I pick it up on PS4... still pissed about that.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1799 on: June 06, 2017, 07:30:43 AM

Trouble with that is that it's hugely, obscenely overkill for a miner.  My Type-7 is a perfect mining ship if I want some down time.

Lugging a fucking Anaconda around asteroids sounds like as much fun as lugging the wife around Amsterdam.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1800 on: June 06, 2017, 07:46:54 AM

Trouble with that is that it's hugely, obscenely overkill for a miner.  My Type-7 is a perfect mining ship if I want some down time.

Lugging a fucking Anaconda around asteroids sounds like as much fun as lugging the wife around Amsterdam.

Fuck you. I'm American. I'm going to chrome the shit out of it and give it some truck nuts just to let people know.  why so serious?

But yeah... My goal is to make that work on my PS4. Enough firepower to lay pirates low and enough cargo hold to make me my buy back each trip. Platinum and Painite and so many limpets people will wonder. I want my ship to look like a fucking beekeeper while I am strip mining rocks.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1801 on: June 06, 2017, 09:42:38 AM

Lol

Fair enough.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1802 on: June 06, 2017, 09:52:14 AM

Since this is the Anaconda hater's club (est. 2016) can I ask why? Ass in why is the Anaconda the way it is?

Example. Who decided that the Conda needed that useless Military Slot that only fits hull reinforcement packages or shield cell Banks and nothing else?
Terracotta Army

Reply #1803 on: June 06, 2017, 11:42:51 AM

Lol

Fair enough.

On a serious note though... I just want to mine rock in an inappropriate ship. The limited time I messed around with the game on my old PC, I actually got a Coda just to try out and see how it flies. It was grueling stock. Mail slots felt like my first girlfriend and I'm not exactly sure how it makes it through each time. Turns are slightly better than the T-9cow but yeah... it does give a feeling of massive.

And I am definitely not ignorant to the fact that using this to mine rocks is going to be in the realm of the ministry of silly walks, especially on really oddball axis, fast rotating rocks. But I'm shooting to roleplay the crazy miner with the black lung who still smokes a pack a day.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1804 on: June 06, 2017, 12:19:49 PM

Since this is the Anaconda hater's club (est. 2016) can I ask why? Ass in why is the Anaconda the way it is?

Example. Who decided that the Conda needed that useless Military Slot that only fits hull reinforcement packages or shield cell Banks and nothing else?

RP - It's meant to be historically a naval ship.  Which is pretty wank.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1805 on: June 06, 2017, 12:29:27 PM

The actual in game reason is that perspectives are weird in E:D. The "mail slot" is actually large enough to comfortably fit all ships in height, with more than enough space. The width is so that two Federal Corvettes or two Cutters could pass each other on the green and red side without colliding, the only two ships not fitting "side to side" would be the Beluga (because of the wide tail fins) and the T9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRYWlezRLE4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOOXueUv5c

Vehicle sizes (Banana for Scale)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2uaRHFmBT4&t=29s

The first person perspective is so weird though that the mail slot always feels incredibly small even when you pass it in a sidewinder. Even though two dozen sidewinders could pass the slot in parallel comfortably.

The same goes for all other in game scenarios. Look at a resource extraction site for example, there's lots of NPC Cutters, Anacondas or T9's mining ore and watched from your point of view they don't seem to be huge or unable to maneuver in an asteroid belt. On cocjkpit perspective though the asteroid belt feels claustrophobic and you constantly fear to hit a big piecve of rock even in a small ship
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1806 on: June 08, 2017, 08:27:26 PM

I've been out on my first exploration adventure, in my 45 ly Asp Explorer. I took a "collect data" mission to The View, which is about 1500 ly to the "east" of the bubble, a direction that doesn't lead anywhere else important. I took a slightly skewed angle instead of heading in a straight line.

I just found and scanned my first fully unexplored system, about 1000 ly from Sol. And it had an Earth-like world!

I also found a system with two big, white ice worlds just 0.01 ls from each other (almost no distance apart). I've got a screenshot of them side-by-side, like two snowballs in space, with my red Asp in front. I'll post the screenshots and locations once I get back to the bubble.

I'm nearly at The View, where I'm supposed to do a landing for the passenger, apparently on a high-gravity planet with a neutron star. Thinking of turning back with my exploration data now, as claiming my first system and ELW is probably more important than risking a death out there :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:04:42 AM by Tale »
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1807 on: June 08, 2017, 10:20:49 PM

I just realized I haven't logged in since they buffed exploration payouts right after I only make 30 mill on a 20,000 LY trip. I guess I was seriously pissed about that deep down.  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1808 on: June 08, 2017, 10:49:17 PM

I just realized I haven't logged in since they buffed exploration payouts right after I only make 30 mill on a 20,000 LY trip. I guess I was seriously pissed about that deep down.  why so serious?

Bah, I arrived in Quince just as they put it on lockdown to nerf tourist mission stacking. And I paid full price for Horizons just before the 50% off sale. Still playing. But I'm sure 20,000 ly of space madness would hurt.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1809 on: June 09, 2017, 03:33:52 AM

Fortunately, I exploited the shit out of that pre-lockdown.

That said, I'm finding my interest in this slowly waning.  I think some things need to be easier and some things need to be a fuckload more interesting.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1810 on: June 09, 2017, 02:30:11 PM

I think some things need to be easier and some things need to be a fuckload more interesting.
When you say this, you really mean the whole game right?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1811 on: June 09, 2017, 08:28:15 PM

I utterly and completely ran out of things to upgrade. I have an Imperial Cutter in which every single component is rocking an unfathomably good or godlike engineering roll. I have a top-grade roll on a low emissions powerplant on an 8A that I can swap in from storage when the caps on shielding change and I no longer need an overcharged powerplant to run a spazillion shield boosters.

I have an almost perfect roll on the distributor, the 8A Prismatic Shielding, the hull, two large Efficient beams, a huge multicannon, and Dirty Drive Tuning. the ship is essentially as powerful as a ship can be in the game. I can say I have it, and I did it. But with multicrew being such a dud, what else do I do?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1812 on: June 10, 2017, 11:08:01 AM

"Road to Riches" - someone has mapped a route from the bubble, scanning 301 earth-like and terraformable water worlds in 241 systems within 200ly of the starting point, to generate exploration data worth 280 million credits (plus lots of faction/engineer standing). Aimed at helping new players make money, but could be useful for anyone.

So, uh, yeah, I got bored and did the first 12 systems on his 'New' list.  Just for fun.

10 Million.

That's, uh, that's really something.....

I mean, sure, for me, it's not a big deal, but you could really, really boost yourself into unconsciousness as a new player for a lot of cash.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1813 on: June 10, 2017, 11:12:08 AM

FUCK.

Decided to cash it in before I went to Dinner and forgot it gave you rep.

So now I'm almighty worshipped by 'Backhole Fuckholes with Nearest Space Station' rather than, I dunno, Sirius or something.

Fuck me, I'm stupid.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1814 on: June 10, 2017, 03:36:01 PM

I have an almost perfect roll on the distributor, the 8A Prismatic Shielding, the hull, two large Efficient beams, a huge multicannon, and Dirty Drive Tuning. the ship is essentially as powerful as a ship can be in the game. I can say I have it, and I did it. But with multicrew being such a dud, what else do I do?

Grief Harry Potter.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1815 on: June 10, 2017, 03:41:53 PM

I'm nearly at The View, where I'm supposed to do a landing for the passenger, apparently on a high-gravity planet with a neutron star. Thinking of turning back with my exploration data now, as claiming my first system and ELW is probably more important than risking a death out there :)

I decided to keep going, and made an attempt to land at The View. I had high-gravity flight under control and was gradually descending and lining up my 747-like landing technique, when suddenly... The planet sucked my Asp down onto it, my D-rated shield went offline and I bounced back up with 59% hull.

Heading for home. Screw you and your mission, famous explorer, I want to be a famous explorer too.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1816 on: June 10, 2017, 10:46:19 PM

High G worlds are seriously weird in ED.

One thing I never realized though because it's anti intuitive and I only know this because I watched the docking computer.

Thrusters are SYS not ENG. 4 Pips in engines will only increase speed and boost but not thrusters. Only 4 pips in SYS will. So for landing put 4 pips in SYS. Otherwise thrusters are too weak for High G worlds.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1817 on: June 10, 2017, 11:05:05 PM

FUCK.

Decided to cash it in before I went to Dinner and forgot it gave you rep.

So now I'm almighty worshipped by 'Backhole Fuckholes with Nearest Space Station' rather than, I dunno, Sirius or something.

Fuck me, I'm stupid.

I used my data to get all of the permits to permit locked systems due to reputation gains.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1818 on: June 11, 2017, 12:10:32 AM

Yeah, did another 12 planets, 14 million, handed in at Avik, got my Sirius permit.

It's all good, I was just fucked off at the rookie mistake.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #1819 on: June 11, 2017, 12:45:31 AM

I'm pissed off about all the modular terminals I sold at stations now that I now what Gwent needs to be unlocked...
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: