Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 24, 2017, 05:03:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  PC/Console Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 84363 times)
Terracotta Army

Reply #1575 on: March 13, 2017, 06:05:32 AM

CMDR Warlock
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1576 on: March 14, 2017, 07:48:28 PM

I just made it to a Cobra Mk III for the first time since 1986, so I came here to post something.

My path from 1000 to 400,000 credits was:
- Own the game since 2015, but barely play it. Buy a better PC in 2017, and finally give it a real try. Quickly get hooked like I was on EverQuest 1 and the original Elite.
- Follow a tip to install a fuel scoop and do a long series of jumps away from my starting system to a high-tech system before doing anything real (this made me realise I could travel a long way via short jumps and a scoop).
- Find my own back-and-forth trading routes for my Sidewinder's 6 cargo slots.
- Upgrade the Sidewinder to D-class equipment (lightweight = bigger jumps).
- Follow a tip to do a community goal if possible, as the minimum rewards are big for a newbie - I did a 30-hop journey to qualify me for a 200,000 community goal reward that will arrive in a few days.
- Start out trading again from the next system to the community goal system, and keep moving till I find a good back-and-forth route.
- Accidentally discover a "buy this and deliver it" mission 7 jumps away to earn 150k (and avoid interdiction).
- Accidentally discover a "buy this and deliver it" mission 1 jump away to earn $350k (and avoid interdiction - I was already landing inside the Coriolis station when they warned me that someone was being sent to hunt me).

So basically the last two steps got me there, and I've got another 200k coming from the community goal that I don't actually need now. I'm happy I chose my own adventure rather than following any defined set of moves. It's how you learn the game.

Then again, I've yet to try combat.

What type of sun was it ?  Bear in mind some of them, especially the new Neutron ones and shit, are just large flamey balls of death that you really, really need to stay away from.

Also, the Frame Shift Drive throws the heat up by huge amounts, so it's not an optimal escape plan.   By the sounds of it, you found the shortcut key to silent running though.  Which is kinda funny.

I was basically just clueless.... flying too fast around a sun, not realising I could stop and still be scooping, spinning uncontrollably while trying to fly forward, and actually not moving away from the sun. It was a long time before I actually found a sun that I couldn't scoop (seen them all now).

"The more we talk about less important things, the less we talk about more important things."
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1577 on: March 15, 2017, 01:49:09 AM

The MK III is probably one of the best ships in the game. Great cargo capacity for its size and a good variety of internal compartments.

If only I liked flying it. This is a weird pet peeve but I don't like that the seating position is on the left. I've never driven a car in my life and it irritates me that everything feels off because the seating Position is left of center. That's why I fancy the Asp more.

If you are not me though the Cobra MK III is a great ship with lots of potential for cargo hauling, exploration or combat.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1578 on: March 15, 2017, 06:28:24 AM

I really, really, really wanted the other Cobra and it fucks me off that only special people get it.  And you can't even get it for cash now.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1579 on: March 15, 2017, 07:16:53 AM

I really, really, really wanted the other Cobra and it fucks me off that only special people get it.  And you can't even get it for cash now.

It's not actually that great apparently (I'm a special-person but haven't owned one yet) as it's more of a side-grade than an upgrade and slower than a III which is the main drawback/criticism, although I understand they hull tank very well.

I also really wanted it and had meant to move to one after my III but the slower speed put me off.

I'll probably go back and fit one to mess about in once I've stopped doing the important bits of my Cutter
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1580 on: March 16, 2017, 02:30:03 AM

Surely if you have cutter money, it's a mere 1 trade to get the Cobra you want.  This is something I found quite head hurting when I got both my Anaconda and my Python ;  suddenly ships that took me ages before were literally walking into the shop and dropping the cash jobs.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1581 on: March 17, 2017, 11:31:32 AM

Surely if you have cutter money, it's a mere 1 trade to get the Cobra you want.  This is something I found quite head hurting when I got both my Anaconda and my Python ;  suddenly ships that took me ages before were literally walking into the shop and dropping the cash jobs.

Well I _had_ Cutter money until I bought it smiley but I'm reluctant to fly it until I can afford to upgrade the shield and FSD on it so I'm grinding Quince for cash until the nerf hits in 2.3 - that said, yes I could afford one very quickly but until I'm done in Quince I just wouldn't get the opportunity to actually use it for anything
Terracotta Army

Reply #1582 on: March 22, 2017, 02:21:40 AM

So I had a play with the Cobra III and IV in a Low CZ last night [with as identical a fit as the slots would allow]

The bad press the IV gets regarding it's [lack of] speed and agility is entirely justified and out of the 4 runs I did into the zone I only lost the IV (admitted only only once) while not losing the III (although I left with a compromised canopy twice)

Where the IV beats the III hands down is hardpoint placement. I'd forgotten how much of a pain the underside small hardpoints on the III were to use (almost no point putting gimbals in there) and found it very hard to bring them to bear during a a turning battle. The IV on the other hand has all 5 hardpoints on the top making them very easy to bring to bear. Given the lack of agility I'm actually considering putting turrets on....

The IV can indeed fit a considerably larger hull tank than the III, while I didn't have any success running a pure hull tank fit (I keep forgetting to run silent) I did have success running HRP's alongside a 4A Prismatic on the III (but the hardpoints let me down) so I'm currently engineering a IV with a Prismatic/HRP fit to try out - hopefully I can get some more speed out of it by reducing weight after getting the power output up and the shield power drain/mass down.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  PC/Console Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: