Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:10:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662358 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1050 on: October 14, 2015, 04:17:44 PM

I bought the upgrade yesterday as I thought it would let me play the base game. Nope. Unless i pay for rthe base game on top of that I have to wait till Horizon launches. Yay

Hic sunt dracones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1051 on: October 14, 2015, 04:42:54 PM

That's of course stupid on their part. Anyway, if I remember correctly, you pre-ordered the Horizon Expansion which will include the base game. But for some reason, it's like you preordered the Ultimate GOTY Edition of a game... before such edition was released. They don't give you the previous version while you wait. I am not justifying them, clearly they are doing something wrong and advertising it poorly, but the good news is that when Horizon releases you WILL have the base game included.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1052 on: October 14, 2015, 09:09:37 PM

You do have to wonder at the mentality of it all. I mean, you just put down more money than if you'd buy just the base game, ya?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1053 on: October 14, 2015, 11:19:52 PM

Yeah. The base game is €37.49 right now, the Horizons thing I bought was £49.99. So I think they are trying to get me and others to pay the extra for a couple of months play on the base game. Which is fucking stupid because all it does is piss me off and it's reducing the chances of me buying more shit from them down the line and of playing the game when it finally comes out.

At least I'll be able to play around Christmas...

Hic sunt dracones.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1054 on: October 15, 2015, 07:19:44 AM

Or as these things go, Christmas of 2020.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1055 on: October 15, 2015, 07:25:50 AM

On that front, Frontier Developments has been unbelievable for today's standards in their ability to get stuff delivered very closely to the original promises. For some reason they keep saying "this Holidays" instead of Christmas, so while I wouldn't be surprised if it slipped by a week or two, it would be a first if it dragged beyond January 2016.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: October 21, 2015, 03:03:48 PM

Long stream showing off the planetary gameplay. I marked this point in the video for you where the SRV calls for the ship to pick it up. It's at 1:04:20 if direct linking doesn't work. Pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/b3jlcPe8cII?t=3859

All it's missing is the part where you drive it yourself into the ship bay, get out of the SRV and walk back to your pilot seat.

Oh, wait...  why so serious?

Point is, I would love to see that, but don't delay my game for some silly transitions that you can always, eventually, add later.

EDIT: Another cool part is when it goes around the Cobra at 11:40
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:30:46 PM by Falconeer »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1057 on: October 23, 2015, 10:15:52 AM

20 seconds of "Combined arms". Attacking an outpost while you drive the buggy, and your friend pilots the spacecraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaV3FP5HJ48

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1058 on: November 06, 2015, 09:06:06 AM

This blows my mind. A quick video that redefines the concept of "zoom".

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1059 on: November 06, 2015, 09:32:29 AM

As shoddy as so much of this game is, the one thing they do amazingly well is the planetary physics and 'realistic' proportions. I love ducking out of supercruise into an asteroid belt around a gas giant.

By the way, have they said if all planets/planetoids will be landable, or only those that are small enough to permit realistic escape velocity? Because if there's one thing this game tries to do well is gravity.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1060 on: November 06, 2015, 10:07:25 AM

All the planets... that don't have an atmosphere.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1061 on: November 06, 2015, 11:04:24 AM

All the planets... that don't have an atmosphere.
I don't have the list but initially only a small portion of non-atmosphere types will be landable. The different types that are landable will expand over time with atmospheric being the last to be landable.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1062 on: November 06, 2015, 01:11:41 PM

That makes a lot of sense to me. I do wish they'd bother to do some polishing of the GUI. And give the collector/prospector drones a bit of love. I mean, the universe has mastered interstellar space travel, but heaven forbid a collector drone pick up a bit of ore you target. That means instant annihilation!

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1063 on: November 15, 2015, 01:03:00 PM

jesus those two new superheavy ships are certainly something
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1064 on: November 15, 2015, 03:21:13 PM

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1065 on: November 15, 2015, 05:54:40 PM

That ship has heating dispersal coils that pop out of the back like raised hackles when you heat up. It has exterior vanity lighting that turns red when you deploy your weapons. It can carry almost 800 tons of cargo and still be loaded for combat. It hauls ass in the speed department. It is a riveting paean to imperial vanity.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1066 on: November 19, 2015, 01:06:07 AM

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1067 on: November 19, 2015, 02:38:23 AM

Lol. I'm actually flying a courier at the moment and its a lot of fun. That made me giggle.

Hic sunt dracones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1068 on: November 20, 2015, 06:40:52 AM

Viper commercial from the same guy.

"Professional pilots in controlled environment. Do not attempt."  why so serious?

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1069 on: November 25, 2015, 07:45:05 PM

Picked this up on steam sale. Did they purposely design the UI to piss off new players as much as possible?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1070 on: November 25, 2015, 07:50:04 PM

I actually don't find the UI to be a problem.  I mean there are things about this game that are a bit annoying, but the UI actually feels like one of the things I like.  What are you having trouble with?
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1071 on: November 25, 2015, 11:06:38 PM

Should I pick this up on steam sale or will the Horizons be such an improvement that I should wait for that?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: November 25, 2015, 11:32:04 PM

You will want Horizons, no doubt. Getting this now, no matter the discount, is probably gonna be wasted money as Horizons will launch in a month and it will include the base game. But you should check one thing: they said there was a discount when buying Horizons if you had the base game. If the discount is pretty much the same price of the game now, then it could be worth it.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1073 on: November 26, 2015, 03:18:57 PM

That ship has heating dispersal coils that pop out of the back like raised hackles when you heat up. It has exterior vanity lighting that turns red when you deploy your weapons. It can carry almost 800 tons of cargo and still be loaded for combat. It hauls ass in the speed department. It is a riveting paean to imperial vanity.

that ship turns out to maneuver like a type 9 and is utterly not viable for combat against even ships that cost half as much ahahaaa oh god it's so painful to fly
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1074 on: November 26, 2015, 03:33:42 PM

that ship turns out to maneuver like a type 9 and is utterly not viable for combat against even ships that cost half as much ahahaaa oh god it's so painful to fly
Have you flown it yourself or are you just going from forum posts. I loaded the 1.5 beta and found it to be a nice experience.  However, I did not expect a ship larger than an Anaconda to be a spartan dog fighting machine.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1075 on: November 26, 2015, 07:02:41 PM

The new player experience is ..um...interesting. Btw what is the flight model meant to be? Seems to fall between physics based to space opera fantasy and just settle for annoying?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1076 on: November 26, 2015, 07:48:59 PM

Have you flown it yourself or are you just going from forum posts. I loaded the 1.5 beta and found it to be a nice experience.  However, I did not expect a ship larger than an Anaconda to be a spartan dog fighting machine.

yeah i putzed around in it for a while and the thing is such a dog, unfortunately. an anaconda fit for half the price will beat it to death handily.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1077 on: November 26, 2015, 11:33:25 PM

The new player experience is ..um...interesting. Btw what is the flight model meant to be? Seems to fall between physics based to space opera fantasy and just settle for annoying?

Not sure what control scheme and device you are using, but remember that a few tweaks from the Settings can totally change (read:improve) the flight experience. Personally, I find it pretty good and what separated it from the crappiness of the Star Citizen one.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1078 on: November 27, 2015, 04:39:38 AM

Not sure what control scheme and device you are using, but remember that a few tweaks from the Settings can totally change (read:improve) the flight experience. Personally, I find it pretty good and what separated it from the crappiness of the Star Citizen one.

Again a problem with the UI, just finding what keys matched what controls in the options menu was a pain. This might very well be a good game but too much pain for me. Steam refund granted.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1079 on: November 27, 2015, 05:20:00 AM

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1080 on: November 27, 2015, 05:42:12 AM

I'm finally getting a bit more involved in the game, and one thing I feel it's missing is a commander log/journal that you can customize, with various entry types (although there are a couple tools/mods out there that do just that). You are in command of your ship, but you are also part of a Power, and an inhabitant of the galaxy, no matter how meaningless in the vast scale of the universe (but important in the context of a videogame, yes).

Your Commander isn't characterized by particular skills or traits, just a reputation meter and his/her relationship with the "law".  So I feel that you can't really get attached to it as it is, especially in a sandbox game that encourage its playerbase to create their own stories & hubs.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 09:55:16 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1081 on: November 27, 2015, 05:57:39 AM

I agree one million percent with you. What sucks is that the log/journal was planned from the beginning, it was in the earliest design documents, and it's such a shame that it got canned (at least so far). The upcoming character creation tool (face and body) will help a little but I doubt it will be enough. I would much more prefer faces for the NPCs like in Elite 2 than for my character. For myself, I'd just like to be able to track my own history and decisions somehow.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1082 on: November 28, 2015, 06:36:31 PM

The only problem i have ever had with the E:D ship interface is that sometimes elements of it become hard to see when you are fighting close to a orange or yellow star. But, all the same, I suppose that's a bit blinding anyway.

Past that the universal interface is so helpful overall that i prefer it to anything I see in any other ship interface made by anyone else.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1083 on: November 29, 2015, 11:25:25 AM

You will want Horizons, no doubt. Getting this now, no matter the discount, is probably gonna be wasted money as Horizons will launch in a month and it will include the base game. But you should check one thing: they said there was a discount when buying Horizons if you had the base game. If the discount is pretty much the same price of the game now, then it could be worth it.

Checked the website and it says this:

Elite Dangerous: Horizons includes all Elite Dangerous content to date, and all players will continue to fly together in the same galaxy. Existing Elite Dangerous players receive a £10 loyalty discount off the price of Elite Dangerous: Horizons, retaining their progress and unlocking the exclusive ‘Cobra Mk IV’ in-game spacecraft.

I keep hovering over the purchase button on Steam but haven't yet. I think this is a game I would love once I get the control scheme figured out, even with all of its issues.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1084 on: November 29, 2015, 04:05:56 PM

Is this worth 15 bucks if I don't have a joystick?

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: