Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:02:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662337 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1015 on: August 05, 2015, 11:46:28 AM

So, this is how it's going to be. The first expansion (Horizons) is seen by the Developers as the Second Season of the "Elite Dangerous Show". The First Season is the one that we are playing right now and will end with Patch 1.5. This is important because every expansion marks a "Seasons" and it makes sense to expect a new (paid) expansion every year, which will get free content patches along the way the same we are having now. This isn't that different from any other MMORPG out there actually even though at Frontier they love to come up with confusing new names for everything. Also, I wanted to clarify this because it turns out this Second Season (the Horizons expansion) includes Planetary Landing ONLY on planets without atmosphere so apparently no life and local fauna because that will come in a future Season/Expansion. But here's a picture that should complement the mess I've written.

EDIT: Updated picture.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:52:31 AM by Falconeer »

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1016 on: August 07, 2015, 05:39:07 AM

Cobra Mk IV

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1017 on: August 07, 2015, 05:43:26 AM

One thing that slipped away from previous press reveals is that apparently with the planetary landing expansion will also come some kind of crafting. They didn't say much, but implied that raiding planet surfaces for loot (another new aspect of the game) will play a part into the crafting game.

Are we seeing the anti-Braben faction inside Frontier Developments finally taking over the helm of the game?

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1018 on: August 07, 2015, 07:55:23 AM

I think it was a mistake for them to try to faithfully recreate the original elite. Mostly because the original elite's design decisions were hamstrung by technology restraints that do not exist today.

I mean shit, who releases a game in 2015 this era without a global, easy to use, chat interface with guild/clan functionality.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:57:12 AM by Pennilenko »

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1019 on: August 07, 2015, 11:42:12 AM

good save, otherwise we could be populating the list all day
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1020 on: August 08, 2015, 06:08:42 AM

good save, otherwise we could be populating the list all day
Right after i hit post, I was all like shit, I can come up with a ton of games that didn't do that.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #1021 on: August 14, 2015, 08:02:44 PM

Sadly this is pretty much exactly where I expected this to go, and why I didn't buy the original nor this incarnation. It's an interesting toy, but overpriced, under provisioned with content or game infrastructure, and loaded with waaaay too much baggage having to do with a developer's ego and his obsession with avoiding the piracy which was aggravated by being overpriced in the first place. Although he may have had a point about the piracy the first time around based on the anecdotes related here. But now? Excuse for charging AAA price for an at best incomplete AA game whose development was crowd-funded and which cannot be pirated because it's online only is what exactly?

Sorry. I'm allergic to greed and not interested in subsidizing hubris for a toy that I would only play a few hours and put aside, especially one that is going the route of charging full game price for each new piece of the game that was missing from the original.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1022 on: August 16, 2015, 11:44:53 AM

Sadly this is pretty much exactly where I expected this to go, and why I didn't buy the original nor this incarnation. It's an interesting toy, but overpriced, under provisioned with content or game infrastructure, and loaded with waaaay too much baggage having to do with a developer's ego and his obsession with avoiding the piracy which was aggravated by being overpriced in the first place. Although he may have had a point about the piracy the first time around based on the anecdotes related here. But now? Excuse for charging AAA price for an at best incomplete AA game whose development was crowd-funded and which cannot be pirated because it's online only is what exactly?

Sorry. I'm allergic to greed and not interested in subsidizing hubris for a toy that I would only play a few hours and put aside, especially one that is going the route of charging full game price for each new piece of the game that was missing from the original.

Not emptyquoting.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1023 on: August 20, 2015, 08:08:32 PM

More directly from Braben.

We're beginning with airless, rocky worlds – places where a great deal of new gameplay can take place. These are planet-sized sandbox environments, with all sorts of things to discover hidden on them. You'll find surface starports, crashed ships, mineral deposits, hidden bases and more.

These worlds are gigantic, and - like the open galaxy - you'll be able to go anywhere. You'll be able to fly over the surface in low orbit and choose your spot to land, you'll be able to venture out in your Surface Recon Vehicle and hurtle across the surface at high speed. You'll be able to sneak around or go in all guns blazing. The nimble SRV is tiny compared to your ship, and is virtually invisible on a long range scanner – ship-based weapons will find it very hard to hold a lock on them, but airborne and ground-based players can explore the same worlds together, so watch the skies!

And all of this in 5 months?

awesome, for real

So it's Starflight.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1024 on: August 21, 2015, 06:52:02 AM

Awesome, you will be able to explore all of a bunch of boring worlds. I believe so much in procedural content and open worlds, but this is precisely how not to go about it.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1025 on: August 22, 2015, 04:33:04 AM

Yes, let us enjoy the thrill of exploring the Sahara desert after exploring the Nevada desert. For the price of a full price game.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1026 on: August 22, 2015, 12:12:46 PM

Awesome, you will be able to explore all of a bunch of boring worlds. I believe so much in procedural content and open worlds, but this is precisely how not to go about it.

I've always thought you'd need player-generated mission/strat-meta content ala FoM, EVE, WW2O, etc., combined with pre-cu SWG architecting and lore, with perhaps E:D's size and flexibility.

But, games get released, fortunes get made... before all that content will ever make it into a game.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1027 on: August 24, 2015, 08:01:13 AM

If they keep this up for like three more full price expansions or so they might have the framework for a game
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1028 on: September 08, 2015, 03:21:20 PM

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1029 on: September 19, 2015, 11:39:29 AM

how much is the new biggest gutamaya ship gonna cost anyway
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1030 on: September 25, 2015, 09:05:06 AM

They just announced some more stuff that on top of planetary landing will come in Season 2 (if you buy the expansion).

Specifically:

- The ability launch fighters out of your bigger ship.

Ship-Launched Fighters can be docked in your ship's hold to give you a far greater range of options to tackle any situation in which you find yourself. Deploy your fighter under AI control or take the stick yourself and fly into battle while your mothership lies in wait.

- MULTICREW

Multi-Crew lets you fly in the same ship with friends, which will up the intensity and camaraderie levels of a joint mission even further! You’ll be able to share and alternate control of weapons systems, turrets and flight duties to multiply your effectiveness. Even to the extent of piloting a ship-launched fighter and working in combination with the mothership. It’ll be especially useful in some of the very large trading ships coming in season two.

- and basically "walking in stations ships".

The all-new Commander Creator brings your in-game presence to life for the first time, and lets you identify friends with a quick glance across your ship's bridge. Its the first step in the longer term plans we have for you, Commander…

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1031 on: September 25, 2015, 09:45:31 AM

Holy shit. They are actually putting shit in the game that people want. Not saying that stuff will be great, but all the people on the official forums bitching about not getting features they want will have to shut up, even if only until they find other shit to be angry about.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1032 on: September 25, 2015, 09:45:51 AM

Fuck a bunch of hair.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1033 on: September 26, 2015, 02:05:58 AM

why so serious?

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1034 on: September 26, 2015, 02:09:37 AM

You little evil thing  why so serious?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1035 on: September 26, 2015, 03:04:55 AM

Tactical....hair.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1036 on: September 26, 2015, 03:26:04 AM

In case it wasn't obvious, that's not real. It's fan made.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1037 on: September 26, 2015, 03:42:24 AM

That's a funny image. Upon closer examination it's an obvious fake. But it took my brain a significant chunk of seconds to process past the "marketing bullshit...marketing bullshit...that's how
shit looks these days...seems legit".

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1038 on: September 26, 2015, 03:44:05 AM

True.

I love that in Wasteland 2, when you fire up the game there's a pop up window about buying some Wastelander Boots DLC in the main menu. If you click it, it says "It's a joke! Do you really think we'd do crap like that?"

Point is, yes. We totally think you'd do it. It's nice to see that some wouldn't. Eventually. For now.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1039 on: September 28, 2015, 01:26:13 PM

i found this planet which is 'valuable' due to the 'ease of mining'

http://i.imgur.com/j1zrf9f.jpg

but i really want to know who is going to try to mine on a planet where it's so hot that the atmosphere is vaporized silicates (with frequent rains of molten glass)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1040 on: September 28, 2015, 02:48:37 PM

i found this planet which is 'valuable' due to the 'ease of mining'

http://i.imgur.com/j1zrf9f.jpg

but i really want to know who is going to try to mine on a planet where it's so hot that the atmosphere is vaporized silicates (with frequent rains of molten glass)

Kinda high surface gravity too.

Guess they can use robots to do the work.

Or refugees from Star Citizen....

awesome, for real
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1041 on: October 06, 2015, 03:56:05 AM

Just patched to 1.4. Known as the PvP patch since it brought this "Arena Commander" module.  awesome, for real

Anyway, patch highlights:

NEW CONTENT/FEATURES:

- CQC Added! (PvP Arena)
- Imperial Eagle added
- Federal Gunship added
- Federal Assault Ship added
- Hazardous resource extraction sites added
- Compromised nav beacons added
- Legal salvage missions added
- Added Outfitting for CQC
- Changed how powerplant damage is handled - small chance of instant destruction, otherwise malfunctions and halved power output
- Assign Imperial Eagles to those who should have them from their backer rewards

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1042 on: October 09, 2015, 04:06:28 PM

Well well, SCALE (planets).

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1043 on: October 09, 2015, 07:40:02 PM

Their transition from gas giant shiny reflective rings to actual rocks when passing through (or stopping) is pretty cool too, and was an early indication that they could do that.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1044 on: October 09, 2015, 08:41:37 PM

Over the course of the next year this is going to have working versions of a great many features that star citizen is promising.

cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #1045 on: October 10, 2015, 01:39:02 AM

And despite that, they will never make anywhere near the boatloads of cash SC gets, since they stick with promises they can actually deliver.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1046 on: October 11, 2015, 08:32:49 AM

That's enough for me to finally buy this game. Games are usually really good at ignoring scale.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1047 on: October 11, 2015, 10:38:36 AM

That's enough for me to finally buy this game. Games are usually really good at ignoring scale.

That is going to be in the horizons expansion.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1048 on: October 12, 2015, 02:56:54 PM

That is going to be in the horizons expansion.

That's my ticket to get into this game.  I'm sitting here slowly getting my rig updated for the occasion.  Holiday-time.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1049 on: October 14, 2015, 02:05:38 PM

I've been playing this quite a bit and I like it. Its a bit dry, but I love the gravity well mechanics for frame shift jumps. They really did a phenomenal job with that. Like when you're approaching a station but its next to a planet your cruise speed goes all cattywampus because of the planet's gravitational pull.

I have been avoiding combat like the plague, however, since the 'tutorial' rapidly disabused me of any notion of me being any good at space pewpew in this game.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: