Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:00:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662357 times)
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #770 on: December 17, 2014, 12:47:43 PM

Mining with a single-hopper refinery is pretty rough. Luckily an upgrade isn't that expensive, and 1 ton of palladium nets you about 13.5k.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #771 on: December 17, 2014, 05:09:43 PM

It really does look great. It's just sad that they didn't roll up their sleeves and put life into the universe it offers.

Is that a comment based on what you've read or from playing since yesterday?

I spent a few hours in game last night and have never seen it so busy with either NPCs or players. Supercruise felt like a busy road with the amount of ships around. People have been complaining that "the story hasn't started" even though there are two systems named on the Galnet news and from a cursory glance at the forums, it seems things are kicking off in those systems. The fight for Lugh even attracted David Braben yesterday who announced he got killed by another player (after shooting first!) so that's a player driven event which loads of people are taking part in and is getting developer attention.

So I'm not entirely sure what lack of life in the universe you're talking about. What are you actually expecting?

Mostly what I've read, a bit on looking over the shoulder of a friend. I think what I'm hoping for is what Falconeer wrote about--some sense of a peppering of dynamic, hand-created content in among the procedurally generated universe. Not just lots of people logging in.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #772 on: December 18, 2014, 03:07:56 PM

I broke down due to boredom and bought this.

It's actually not bad however generic. I spent the first few hours learning how to do everything they tell you how to do in some youtube videos on their website. Wish I found those first. I managed to find a system and do a carrgo mission for a few hundred credit. Did some trading for a bit more.

Figured out how to use OCR reader shit. Pretty slick if not a pain in the ass.

I haven't found combat yet. 

I can see the allure of this game for a lot of people. It's just you out there doing shit. Would be a great game if it had more multiplayer aspects like creating industrial stuff. More EVE like I guess?  The only thing that I dislike is that you can't see your ship, or weapons, or anything and that might make getting new ships not feel as awesome. But I get you feel the awesome in bigger cargo holds or faster turning or weapons stuff.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: December 18, 2014, 04:11:12 PM

You can see your ship in the outfitting section of stations, but that is about it.

I've been playing with a friend of mine and we have plenty of fun basically just flying around looking for USSs.  Sometimes they are nothing, sometimes they are cool.  I wouldn't over look what's going on in Supercruise.  It can feel like it's just dead time spent traveling, but a lot of the game stems from there.  Interdiction, finding the procedurally generated stuff, etc. 
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #774 on: December 18, 2014, 04:30:04 PM

Class act by Chris Roberts on SC main page:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14384-Congratulations-Elite-Dangerous

Greetings Citizens

I would like to congratulate David Braben and the entire team at Frontier Developments on this week’s launch of Elite: Dangerous. I have been a supporter of the Elite reboot since day one, and am thrilled to see it become a reality. I’m looking forward to taking a little bit of time off of Star Citizen during the holidays and firing up the finished version of E:D.

I know that many Star Citizen backers imagine there to be an intense competition between our game and Elite, but nothing could be further from the truth. David and I promoted each other’s projects during our respective crowd funding periods because we both believe that the world is better off with more PC games and even better off with more space games. In the nineties there was plenty of room for multiple Space Sims and there is no reason that still can’t be the case now! I’ve always maintained that we aren’t a success if we just make a game; part of the reason that I came back from film was to build a game in a genre I loved and hopefully remind people how amazing it is to lose yourself in another universe, adventuring amongst the stars. So rather than be worried about Elite or No Man’s Sky, I welcome them. It’s been a long time coming but Space Sims are finally getting the love they deserve. And what’s been more amazing is that it’s been a grass roots movement. It hasn’t been driven by a big publisher seeking to pad their profits but by gamers and developers that love the genre and wanted to return to the kind of games that captured their imagination when they were younger.

Star Citizen is taking a different path from Elite, and I strongly believe each game will have a distinct feel… and both can exist and flourish… but I’d like to think that both projects have benefited from each other’s public development! I would encourage anyone who loves space sims to take a look at Elite: Dangerous. The team at Frontier has done incredible work, and there’s a fascinating universe for pilots to explore. I have fond memories of playing the original Elite on my BBC Micro many years ago… and I’m very pleased that a new generation of gamers will get to have exactly that experience today.

— Chris Roberts

They've never hidden the mutual respect for each other, anyway :)

------------------------------------

IMO, the Dev Team need to put in place more systems that will make you create a more solid and long-term bond with either your ship or your character (or both).

I've always been in love with astronomy, space exploration and space games, including the original Elite, of course; they did an egregious work to replicate the "sense of wonder" while you're traveling and exploring, or even when you're looking at the Galaxy Map (and with it, the vast amount of "nothing" that also makes up Space, yeah :P).

But, they need to take all of this one step further: sandbox worlds need to make you feel like you're part of a much, much bigger place, where you can see people going about their business, undertake in-depth and varied careers (many of the current ones are in their infancy when it comes to the in-game systems); and yeah, why not, sandbox worlds need their Britain Bank or Barrens crossroads as hubs (yeah, well...don't mind the chattering, though).

You don't want to attach a skill system to your characters? Fine, but I would like to be represented by something a bit more detailed than a "Cmdr Lucas Konrad" in orange. Hopefully face and possibly full-body avatars will come.

Don't want to go down the Star Citizen route with detailed city hubs? The current hangars are fine: but let us walk in that central hall with a number of rooms branching from it that represent the facilities of that outpost/station; minimal furniture, limited number of NPC models, but hey, better than nothing, without the need of long walks like in X-Rebirth at release. Also, with full-body avatars capable of moving around, we'll be able to see other players (if in Open Play) and again, get that sense of "world" that is now limited.

But yeah, a good first step would be external views and also more grouping mechanics.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:33:16 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #775 on: December 18, 2014, 05:05:36 PM

The only thing that I dislike is that you can't see your ship, or weapons, or anything and that might make getting new ships not feel as awesome. But I get you feel the awesome in bigger cargo holds or faster turning or weapons stuff.

That's a HUGE pet peeve of mine, to the point that I've been "lobbying" on the official forums for months now about it. Sadly, the "vision" (sic) is that you are the pilot so there is no justification for any kind of external camera. I even tried to explain the Developers that there's no point in selling paintjobs and decals if we are the only ones who can't see their own ships, but they don't listen and don't seem to care.

EDIT: The Chris Roberts piece is really nice, especially considering he said a couple of things at some point a few months ago that sounded really dismissive of E:D. Really good to see him writing this.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 05:09:32 PM by Falconeer »

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: December 18, 2014, 05:32:50 PM

Lucas -

I don't really care about avatars or walking around. I personally don't get attachment over what my character looks like from a character creator. It's a space game, all I really care about is how badass my ship is. If you want personal attachment in this game, and you can never really see your ship, then you have to do it in leaderboards, some kind of in game reputation, or by building things (or at least sticking your name on something somewhere).

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #777 on: December 18, 2014, 06:23:12 PM

I feel more connected to my character in this game than I do a game like Everquest. Flying with a joystick is responsive, and I really feel like every advancement that comes is because I am becoming better at any of the tasks I am performing IRL. The stats tab on your display is also pretty satisfying! I mean, I went from "penniless" to "mostly penniless" to "peddler!"

What more can you ask for?  awesome, for real

By the way Lucas - every time we are both online I'm trying to message you but it gives an error message about not being able to connect.  Head scratch
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #778 on: December 19, 2014, 04:05:03 AM

I've always been in love with astronomy, space exploration and space games, including the original Elite, of course; they did an egregious work to replicate the "sense of wonder" while you're traveling and exploring, or even when you're looking at the Galaxy Map (and with it, the vast amount of "nothing" that also makes up Space, yeah :P).

Egregious means "shockingly bad". Is that what you intended to say?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #779 on: December 19, 2014, 04:31:12 AM

Egregious means "shockingly bad". Is that what you intended to say?

Are you sure?

egregious (ɪˈɡriːdʒəs; -dʒɪəs)
adj
1. outstandingly bad; flagrant: an egregious lie.
2. distinguished; eminent

Looks like it means two different things, and the etymology seems to point more at the second meaning than the first. "Outstanding" from a crowd. I use it as Lucas does, and while English is certainly not our first language, we seem to have a better than average grasp of the origin of words (due to our Latin roots) which often leads us to use them in what was their original meaning and not the modern English one.

egregious (adj.)
1530s, "distinguished, eminent, excellent," from Latin egregius "distinguished, excellent, extraordinary," from the phrase ex grege "rising above the flock," from ex "out of" (see ex-) + grege, ablative of grex "herd, flock" (see gregarious).

Disapproving sense, now predominant, arose late 16c., originally ironic. It is not in the Latin word, which etymologically means simply "exceptional." Related: Egregiously; egregiousness.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #780 on: December 19, 2014, 04:49:46 AM

Draegan,

Ok, I'm with you about showcasing (and looking at it while it's flying in space, possibly :P) our badass ships, but IMO you're also a pilot (your mileage may vary, anyway); still, for the time being, the "stats" tab will do (climbjtree, I get the same message when I try to write something, I dunno).

LOL at Falc, the Latin Nazi  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? why so serious? ; The sense of wonder *is* there, as far as it can go given the vast nothingness of space; it's more evident with the Galaxy Map: now I just need to browse it while listening to the g-map theme of Mass Effect :)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #781 on: December 19, 2014, 05:12:55 AM

Are you sure?

egregious (ɪˈɡriːdʒəs; -dʒɪəs)
adj
1. outstandingly bad; flagrant: an egregious lie.
2. distinguished; eminent

Looks like it means two different things, and the etymology seems to point more at the second meaning than the first. "Outstanding" from a crowd. I use it as Lucas does, and while English is certainly not our first language, we seem to have a better than average grasp of the origin of words (due to our Latin roots) which often leads us to use them in what was their original meaning and not the modern English one.
egregious (adj.)
1530s, "distinguished, eminent, excellent," from Latin egregius "distinguished, excellent, extraordinary," from the phrase ex grege "rising above the flock," from ex "out of" (see ex-) + grege, ablative of grex "herd, flock" (see gregarious).

Disapproving sense, now predominant, arose late 16c., originally ironic. It is not in the Latin word, which etymologically means simply "exceptional." Related: Egregiously; egregiousness.

Yup, quite sure. While the original etymology is positive, that's archaic usage and the contemporary definition of the word is almost exclusively negative. I had this conversation with a friends Italian husband - I gather that the Italian word "egregio" (which has the same derivation) is/was used to address people formally, like the equivalent of the English "Dear" in letters, so "Dear Sir" is something like "Egregio Senor" in Italian. (I don't speak or know any Italian btw so do not speak with any authority - but I did study Latin & Ancient Greek and have a workable knowledge of French, Spanish, Welsh and Klingon.*)

So basically, yep, get where you're coming from but in UK English, the meaning is negative. Also, it's only really used by pretentious arseholes writing about Chaucerian characterisation and crap like that (in before "is that why you know about it!")

*j/k - who in their right minds would want to fucking learn Welsh?

why so serious?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #782 on: December 19, 2014, 05:23:41 AM

Peasants.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #783 on: December 19, 2014, 06:44:54 AM

I agree with DranconianOne.  Took me a half a minute to figure out that Lucas was saying "good" instead of "horrendously bad".  It fucked up the whole paragraph.

Seems like "literally" is the new "egregious".   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #784 on: December 19, 2014, 06:55:26 AM

Hey, we are still right. I understand how "YOU PEOPLE" have been using it "ironically" for 400 years. Doesn't change the fact that the archaic meaning is still correct. To me, you are just the uneducated internet kids of the late 16h century. We, class of AD 1530, prefer our English straight.  why so serious?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:36:31 AM by Falconeer »

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #785 on: December 19, 2014, 07:20:48 AM

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #786 on: December 19, 2014, 10:08:14 AM

I've made my exodus to Jotunheim, and with good reason! I am now based here:

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #787 on: December 21, 2014, 04:34:01 PM

I am pretty sure George Washington rode out on his armored steed and lanced a few mother fuckers.  So that picture really is historically actuate.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Terracotta Army

Reply #788 on: December 22, 2014, 05:42:36 AM

Which side is the guy in the middle on? Or is he the GM?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #789 on: December 22, 2014, 07:17:58 AM

I am pretty sure George Washington rode out on his armored steed and lanced a few mother fuckers.  So that picture really is historically actuate.

Are you sure?

ac·tu·ate verb \ˈak-chə-ˌwāt, -shə-\
: to make (a machine or electrical device) move or operate

: to cause someone to do something or to act in a certain way

(sorry Falc, I couldn't resist  wink)

Also, skimming this thread, looking like it's getting to be worth a purchase. Question: is it fine with KB+M or does all the magic really come out with a Joystick? I can dig out my Sidewinder, but the things older than my marriage, and last time I got it working with that open source Freespace 2, the acceleration/engine power dial wasn't registering.

So, KB+M is fine or "dig around for good drivers" or "suck it up and buy a stick, cheapo"

I have time for just one game, pretty much all through next year and some of the following. I'd like it to be this one, but I can't also carry the time-weight of forums, build notes, theorycrafting and whatnot. Worth trying this or just go with Far Cry 4?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:24:42 AM by Darniaq »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: December 22, 2014, 07:24:44 AM

So, KB+M is fine or "dig around for good drivers" or "suck it up and buy a stick, cheapo"

About M+K:

Very absolutely playable with mouse and keyboard. In fact, I still claim it works better than a HOTAS (although not even remotely as cool) because it's hands down easier to aim with the mouse than with a joystick. The important part is that you have to tweak a few things in the options as the default M+K setting was asinine last time they reset mine. Make sure to put the Yaw on the mouse horizontal axis and the roll on A and D keys. Also, make sure to activate the "mouse widget" or you won't have a visual clue of your heading and steering. Finally, there's a setting that has a name I can't remember that allows your ship to keep turning as long as the mouse widget is not centered. If you don't activate that, you will have to keep moving and recentering your mouse like a crazy person as if you were using a trackball. So fiddle with it and you will get an amazingly enjoyable M+K experience.

About getting the game: I keep saying the same thing, which is that there's still too many things missing and it is worth waiting 6 more months. If you'll get it now it'll probably hold your interest for a week or two. If you'll get it say June next year, it might last you a few months and leave much better memories.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #791 on: December 22, 2014, 01:05:35 PM

Ah cool, thanks for re-summarizing. I've only skimmed the thread but was behind six pages smiley I've got two weeks off so I'm sure I'll cave. DA3 isn't holding my attention at all.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #792 on: December 22, 2014, 06:19:18 PM

I find it hard to log in, but once I log in I usually have some kind of fun for 30-40 minutes. But essentially you're going to log in, undock, find a system to buy shit from, find another system to sell shit to and manually drive all over the place. It's fun for a while but then it doesn't stick.

You can also comb stations for missions that might have some fighting in it, but the one I took up I couldn't actually find the target. I had to look in three systems but I ended up running out of gas.

It's fun. It's also boring.

It really depends if you are up for a game where you just enjoy flying and doing  a limited list of random stuff.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #793 on: December 22, 2014, 07:14:32 PM

About getting the game: I keep saying the same thing, which is that there's still too many things missing and it is worth waiting 6 more months. If you'll get it now it'll probably hold your interest for a week or two. If you'll get it say June next year, it might last you a few months and leave much better memories.

What if I spent years playing Elite on C64 as a teenager and it probably ultimately led me to this post, yet I due to life I haven't touched Elite: Dangerous yet? Buy now or waiit the 6 more months? :)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: December 22, 2014, 07:18:45 PM

It's fun. It's also boring.

It really depends if you are up for a game where you just enjoy flying and doing  a limited list of random stuff.

This is a good description of the game.  I really enjoy it, overall.  I like having to manually dock, I like flying around and stopping for a random USS only to find out it's nothing sometimes.  If you play this with a kind of obsession for progression, optimization and so forth, you're going to burn out in days.  If you just like flying around space it's fun, and it's boring, but it's also pretty enjoyable most of the time.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: December 22, 2014, 10:11:46 PM

If you just like flying around space it's fun, and it's boring, but it's also pretty enjoyable most of the time.
Perfect summation right there.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
apocrypha
Terracotta Army

Planes? Shit, I'm terrified to get in my car now!

Reply #796 on: December 23, 2014, 12:37:24 AM

What if I spent years playing Elite on C64 as a teenager and it probably ultimately led me to this post, yet I due to life I haven't touched Elite: Dangerous yet? Buy now or waiit the 6 more months? :)

I'd say Falc's advice is still spot on (although I have doubts about the timescale he suggests). Remember that we're not teenagers any more and that games have changed a LOT since then.

We, rightly, have higher expectations now than we did 30 years ago because we know games are capable of so much more. This one doesn't yet deliver on that.

"Bourgeois society stands at the crossroads, either transition to socialism or regression into barbarism" - Rosa Luxemburg, 1915.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #797 on: December 23, 2014, 01:24:59 AM

I think you can't do no wrong by waiting. That said, if you really believe you would be completely happy just with 1984 Elite with updated graphics and a hint of multiplayer then go for it.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: December 23, 2014, 05:06:29 PM

I think you can't do no wrong by waiting. [snip!]

... unless you don't not wait! amirite?!  (been drinking)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #799 on: December 25, 2014, 06:07:08 PM

... unless you don't not wait! amirite?!  (been drinking)

At this point it's unlikely that I won't not wait.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #800 on: December 25, 2014, 06:32:05 PM

This is really cool.

Fan made news report on the dynamic events that are unfolding in the game.

The "seed" of these events are injected by Frontier Developments, and they write the daily news that this video is referencing to, but supposedly every new event is the result of some branching that happened due to players actions and the way they responded to those news and event, like what missions the majority picked or what shipes they killed, and so on.

EDIT: Today's episode, to have an idea of how the stories develop daily.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 06:55:03 PM by Falconeer »

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #801 on: December 25, 2014, 08:55:15 PM

Ok, that settles it. I'll get this and run with it and wait to see if Ponzi Citizen ever becomes a real thing.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
WayAbvPar

Reply #802 on: December 26, 2014, 02:39:32 PM

I will definitely get this, but I am waiting for the price point and the amount of 'game' in the game to intersect at a spot I am happy to pay. Hasn't happened yet.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #803 on: December 26, 2014, 06:32:41 PM

I will definitely get this, but I am waiting for the price point and the amount of 'game' in the game to intersect at a spot I am happy to pay. Hasn't happened yet.
I'm in the same spot. I'd love a game to use my far too expensive and far too useless usb joystick/throttle with. But I want either lots of fun, or way cheap. Or some combo of both.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #804 on: January 03, 2015, 03:17:57 AM

I've made my exodus to Jotunheim, and with good reason! I am now based here:

Interesting spot to pick.... (cough)

Also, I have like 200 bucks to burn on Amazon and Amazon Prime doesn't have any X-52 Pro's in Stock.. Can't believe this game is making me think about spending $150 bucks on a joystick and throttle....

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: