Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:38:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662490 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #210 on: June 10, 2014, 06:05:43 AM

Space Rogue was fantastic. Another game I still have the original box of.  Heart

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #211 on: June 10, 2014, 07:05:53 AM

Geoff Crammond is God, and Grand Prix 4 is the best racing sim ever, still shitting on any modern racing game (not just F1 ones).

But I guess it's slightly off-topic, eh  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: June 10, 2014, 07:11:08 AM

You know, Geoff Crammond has been silent long enough that I sense he's probably about ready for a Kickstarter.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #213 on: June 10, 2014, 09:19:10 AM

Oh, wow. Amiga in communist Hungary? Or are we talking post-1990?
They were present (and highly popular, relatively to high price) in the Eastern Europe even pre-1990, yeah. Along with Atari ST which made the other big camp. It wasn't until few years later when people started to move to 486s and such, after their graphics caught up and exceeded what a typical Amiga games could show.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: June 10, 2014, 11:51:45 AM

New "E3 2014 trailer", now with 20% more humans.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: June 10, 2014, 12:50:12 PM

New "E3 2014 trailer", now with 20% more humans.
That video makes me wonder if they have a new build available for premium beta soon.

Also, I really want TrackIR for this but my wife put the no go on another 150 bucks for it.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: June 10, 2014, 09:38:33 PM

Also, I really want TrackIR for this but my wife put the no go on another 150 bucks for it.
If you have a web cam you could always try the poor man's version that's FaceTrackNoIRHere is a video of someone running Euro Track Simulator with it as a working example.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: June 11, 2014, 01:34:57 AM

Has anyone used TrackIR on anything?  I'm interested as to how it actually helps when you're playing because, for example, if you look to the side or look up then you can't actually see what's on the screen without twisting your eyeballs round in their sockets. It all seems like "Yay, the game display moves when I move my head even though I can't actually see what's on the screen anymore and now I've got a massive headache!"

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: June 11, 2014, 01:43:15 AM

I haven't used it and I had your same doubts. But apparently, somehow it works great with Elite: Dangerous and it's also actually very useful given the nature of the dogfights in this game. To the point that different cockpit designs will be differently efficient.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: June 11, 2014, 10:16:15 AM

Has anyone used TrackIR on anything?  I'm interested as to how it actually helps when you're playing because, for example, if you look to the side or look up then you can't actually see what's on the screen without twisting your eyeballs round in their sockets. It all seems like "Yay, the game display moves when I move my head even though I can't actually see what's on the screen anymore and now I've got a massive headache!"
From what I saw and read it works pretty good. You don't actually need to look to the side or up to the point where you'd need to twist your eyeballs, tiny movements which still allow you to view the screen normally suffice as triggers.
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: June 11, 2014, 03:47:48 PM

Has anyone used TrackIR on anything?  I'm interested as to how it actually helps when you're playing because, for example, if you look to the side or look up then you can't actually see what's on the screen without twisting your eyeballs round in their sockets. It all seems like "Yay, the game display moves when I move my head even though I can't actually see what's on the screen anymore and now I've got a massive headache!"
From what I saw and read it works pretty good. You don't actually need to look to the side or up to the point where you'd need to twist your eyeballs, tiny movements which still allow you to view the screen normally suffice as triggers.

Yes, this.  You can set the sensitivity, dead zone, acceleration and all that jazz for your TrackIR to make it as sensitive as your wobbly head can control while keeping the actual movements required to a minimum.  A 120 degree tun in game could only require pointing your nose at the side of your monitor, for example.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: June 11, 2014, 03:55:09 PM

Ah, thanks both. That's useful to know. Very useful.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: June 12, 2014, 03:45:29 AM

Video from E3 with Braben doing some spiel.  Not a lot to shout about but there's some new stuff at 11:10.  (The streaming is shit though)

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/e3-2014-elite-dangerous-developer-demo/2300-6419611/

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: June 12, 2014, 03:59:08 AM

Quite depressingly, the only new thing they unveiled at E3 is the new orbital station. Which is great and wonderful, but considering how behind they are with the December 2014 release date, it's alarming.

You know, it's not a problem to wait years for a game to be released. It's the fucking "early accesses" that are messing with us. They let you play with early builds so much that when a game finally releases (eventually, years later) you are already jaded and burned out about what they ended up delivering and whatthey had to cut.

I guess the problem is me, I should just stop buying into stupid early access.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: June 12, 2014, 09:40:55 AM

Quite depressingly, the only new thing they unveiled at E3 is the new orbital station. Which is great and wonderful, but considering how behind they are with the December 2014 release date, it's alarming.

You know, it's not a problem to wait years for a game to be released. It's the fucking "early accesses" that are messing with us. They let you play with early builds so much that when a game finally releases (eventually, years later) you are already jaded and burned out about what they ended up delivering and whatthey had to cut.

I'm refusing to play wasteland 2 until it releases. I don't want to spoil the experience.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: June 12, 2014, 10:36:07 AM

I think for you the problem isn't necessarily the early access, it is more about how much time you invest into that early access. At least I think it is based on your posts. How many hours have you put into Elite so far? If it is a ton of hours then maybe you should reduce. I'm not picking on you, I am just curious. For instance i bought Elite because I absolutely needed to fly around in space in something pretty and have only put about 10 or so hours into it. Now I am waiting for a new patch and some new features to go in, then I will play it some. I am saving my hardcore obsession for when there will be no more wipes.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: June 12, 2014, 10:49:59 AM

Just to clarify, I am not burned out at all. And no, I haven't put that much into it yet. Probably 15 hours. I just realized that I can't fucking wait for the game to get more content so that I can allow myself to play it without restrains, and being part of the beta makes the wait harder instead of easier.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: June 12, 2014, 10:52:53 AM

I can see that. I too am suffering from the, "Hurry up and release more shit for me to do!" as well.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: June 12, 2014, 03:51:58 PM

Obligatory E3 Stage Demo. Worth it for the huge joystick alone.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: June 19, 2014, 12:34:35 PM

Premium Beta 2 incoming on June 24th: three new star systems, the new space station and a new Hauler ship being added.

That's about as much update as one tweet gets you.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

EDIT: because checking my mail before Twitter would have shown me the newsletter first

The Hauler is an entry-level trading ship and is the first Zorgon Peterson ship in our lineup. It has quite lightweight construction and can carry a good deal more cargo than the Sidewinder (16 units), but has only one hardpoint.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 12:39:48 PM by DraconianOne »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: June 20, 2014, 03:33:02 AM

Can't help but keep being worried at the lack of "juicy" updates. The beta counter advances to "Premium 2" but all it does is open up 3 more systems (lowering the number of missing ones to 399.999.999.992), add one ship (bringing down the number of missing ones to 19), and add one Space Station. Not really much, considering all the gigantic amount of game systems still completely AWOL.

I mean, this is just because Braben keeps saying everywhere that the game is coming out by the end of the year. If he admitted it's not going to be ready until late 2015 I would be very sad but less worried about being fed a bunch of anxiety generating marketing lies. I suppose this could have something to do with the fact that Frontier Developments has doubled its market-cap one year after the IPO... (which I literally have no idea what it means, I don't even know what I copypasted...)

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #231 on: June 20, 2014, 07:01:02 AM

Everything is always 4-monthes away.  That's the Kickstarter way.

"Me am play gods"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: June 24, 2014, 10:28:14 AM

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: June 24, 2014, 12:18:40 PM

Love Letters

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: June 24, 2014, 03:51:08 PM

I've been wondering if Elite's space stations are inspired by Babylon 5, or if they were both inspired by the same source.

Alas, I am too lazy/busy to do more than pose the question.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: June 24, 2014, 03:59:21 PM

« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 04:01:11 PM by Falconeer »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #236 on: June 24, 2014, 04:00:21 PM

While I don't think they actually look all that similar (maybe color? I'm not the guy to ask about that) the whole rotating wheel space station thing is pretty normal and goes way back: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_wheel_space_station

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #237 on: June 24, 2014, 05:18:35 PM

PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: June 24, 2014, 10:37:38 PM

There's so much room in the hangar bays, the the tiny little entrance looks so dumb. I get that it's small to provide a challenge, but I just can't get over how ridiculously impractical it is.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: June 24, 2014, 11:27:45 PM

It's LORE. Everyone would freak out if they made it bigger.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #240 on: June 25, 2014, 10:28:03 AM

Is there (supposed to be) a challenge to docking at a station?  I'm already suspicious of of the traffic control system.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: June 25, 2014, 10:31:47 AM

Is there (supposed to be) a challenge to docking at a station?  I'm already suspicious of of the traffic control system.

I am definitely not an elitist or anything, but I am amazed at how many people can't dock in this game.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #242 on: June 25, 2014, 10:45:44 AM

I sort of have an immersion problem with an intergalactic civilization that hasn't invented basic autopilot.  Instead, some people want to land a P38 Lightning on a carrier deck IN SPACE.  As long as I know which game this is, I'm all good.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: June 25, 2014, 12:39:00 PM

I'm reaching back to  the Commodore 64 version here, but there was an autopilot you could buy.  But it was so expensive, that by the time you could afford it, you had mastered the manual dock and didn't need it.

But yeah, it's just an ELITE thing.  Not having tiny, rapidly rotating docks would be a major omission.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: June 25, 2014, 02:51:57 PM

The Docking Computer. 

Utterly worthless, yet usually the first purchase an Elite pilot made.

Especially in later versions when it simply docked you instantly when you were close enough to the station.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: