Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:20:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662391 times)
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: March 07, 2014, 04:20:25 AM

Is that a blue Cobra on the Landing Pad? Fuck Star Citizen, I wish I would have backed this one, it really tickles my nostalgia bone.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #71 on: March 07, 2014, 04:45:41 AM

Nice! And...

Do want!!  Heart awesome, for real

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: March 07, 2014, 05:23:41 AM

HOW DOES MAN GET OUT OF SHIP ??

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #73 on: March 07, 2014, 06:48:36 AM

Not to brag, but I have this! I cried when I put it on for the first time..

(Girl is tattoo artist friend, not lover/partner/girlfriend)

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 14, 2014, 05:13:01 AM

Brief thoughts about playing Alpha 3 with some insight into docking.

No comment on docking computers yet though...  Ohhhhh, I see.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 14, 2014, 05:45:06 AM

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:33:13 AM by Falconeer »

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: March 14, 2014, 07:29:30 AM

Bad link...

But I worked it out anyway and OMG!!!  ACK!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  Heart

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #77 on: March 14, 2014, 08:14:37 AM

I'm generally not a fan of space sims, but that looked awesome.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 14, 2014, 09:26:36 AM

People with docking computers are wasting money.  Same as it ever was.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: March 14, 2014, 10:55:58 AM

People with docking computers are wasting money.  Same as it ever was.

I disconcur.

Time is money, friend!

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: March 14, 2014, 01:12:22 PM

It never saved any time when I was a lad, mate.  There was non of this 'instant docking' shite.  You switched on the computer and it did it for you, but BY FUCK you WILL watch it dock.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: March 14, 2014, 02:06:50 PM

I seem to recall that some of the 8-bit versions let you dock instantly. I remember doing both - and yes, I remember the countless times the docking computer would crash into the station. And if you were lucky enough to survive, you then had to deal with a swarm of Vipers because it was considered a hostile act.  swamp poop

Anyway...

Go to 8:50 on this video for the answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFsinf9YyN8
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:11:39 PM by DraconianOne »

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: March 14, 2014, 04:34:21 PM

It never saved any time when I was a lad, mate.  There was non of this 'instant docking' shite.  You switched on the computer and it did it for you, but BY FUCK you WILL watch it dock.

I have an inside scoop: an exclusive image of the grumpy old bastard Ironwood while typing the quoted message:

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: March 14, 2014, 04:53:59 PM

I seem to recall that some of the 8-bit versions let you dock instantly. I remember doing both - and yes, I remember the countless times the docking computer would crash into the station. And if you were lucky enough to survive, you then had to deal with a swarm of Vipers because it was considered a hostile act.  swamp poop

Anyway...

Go to 8:50 on this video for the answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFsinf9YyN8

Fuck, it's beautiful.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: March 14, 2014, 05:17:28 PM

*whistles the 'Blue Danube' while watching the video*  Heart

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: April 10, 2014, 08:30:35 AM

If you pledged/purchased a "premium beta" tier, you might be happy to know that it's now available for download:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/04/10/elites-premium-beta-starts-today-expands-may-30/#continued

So, in reality, the "real" premium beta starts on May 30th, complete with combat, docking, trading and traveling; what is now available is more of a "gift", with just the single-player dogfight scenarios (so, basically, premium beta backers are getting Alpha 1.0, for now) .

Ok, off to download, now  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: April 10, 2014, 11:54:03 AM

ugggh - this is tough not to throw a bunch of money at. It looks awesome.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: April 11, 2014, 02:05:27 AM

They've also announced details of Alpha 4.0 which will feature more inter-system travel and "200 cubic light year volume of space" to explore. No date as of yet.

And here's the full galactic map of the 400,000,000,000 star systems. 

VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: April 16, 2014, 01:20:14 AM

Yup it surely is... I buckled and upgraded 1st round beta (kick starter pledge) to Alpha. The game play is fucking amazing. And it's Elite.

After a 30-year odyssey through video gaming from the BBC B and 12" black'n'white television and tape recorder, to 8-core CPU, giga-net and LCD flat screen; from Elite and Wizardry through Eve Online, UO, SWG, WoW and SWTOR... I am finally coming home to the place it all started on a rainy Friday night all those years ago when a guilty absentee father poked his head around my bedroom door and said "Son, I got you a birthday present - something you might like...".

Heart

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: April 16, 2014, 01:44:02 AM

You shelled out 240?! Damn, I am so so tempted! And even though I like Braben more than Roberts I can't push myself that high. 240 for an alpha is probably my limit. But I am on fire for this game!

(I loved your little shard of personal history...)

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: April 16, 2014, 05:40:10 AM

Yup it surely is... I buckled and upgraded 1st round beta (kick starter pledge) to Alpha. The game play is fucking amazing. And it's Elite.

After a 30-year odyssey through video gaming from the BBC B and 12" black'n'white television and tape recorder, to 8-core CPU, giga-net and LCD flat screen; from Elite and Wizardry through Eve Online, UO, SWG, WoW and SWTOR... I am finally coming home to the place it all started on a rainy Friday night all those years ago when a guilty absentee father poked his head around my bedroom door and said "Son, I got you a birthday present - something you might like...".

Heart

Damn, you're making me think about spending some of my 3k tax rebate here.

Are you allowed to throw us some vids of you buggering about ?

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: April 16, 2014, 06:03:54 AM

Heart

E:D Alpha has no NDA. Current stage of testing is Alpha 3.0: put that in the search field on Youtube (plus "multiplayer dogfighting" and other variations you might be interested about) and you should get plenty of results.

VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: April 16, 2014, 06:15:50 AM

Not to be a supreme dick or anything, but I'm an utter technophobe and would need some guidance on making in game videos as I am clueless. Youtube has literally hundreds (soon to be thousands) of Alpha 3+ gameplay footage movies covering all aspects of the current build, from combat to docking and outfitting - and Alpha 4 is due to drop very soon with travel and trading across a "mere" 200 cubic light years of space far from Earth (and as Douglas Adams pointed out, “Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”)

Frontier Developments are not some pencil dick hiding their secret shame behind guilty NDA verbage. They are in fact freely exposing themselves, riding rough shod over insecurity and screwing it mercilessly before dismounting to stride manfully over and wave their glistening junk in your face.

I wax "enthusiastic" because this is David Braben. This is Elite. This a team that makes games because they love games, not because some physical object marketing team reject tells them what to make. This is THE game they have wanted to make for the past 20 years. Now they are doing it, free from big publisher bullshit.

This game will be the end for me - the last game. I have come full circle - and find myself content to walk with this one into the sunset.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 06:20:19 AM by VainEldritch »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: April 16, 2014, 02:52:08 PM

Um....

I was only asking.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: April 16, 2014, 03:55:58 PM

VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: April 17, 2014, 12:26:31 PM

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: April 17, 2014, 02:33:46 PM

The "expert" AI pilot on the third single-player scenario is totally kicking my ass, can't shake him off once he gets on my tail.

BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND, I WAS GOOD AT THIS KIND OF STUFF IN THE NINETIES, I SWEAR !! Cry Cry

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: April 18, 2014, 03:40:03 AM

Have you tried stopping the throttle dead ?

Have you tried twisting 90 then back as you slow ?

Have you tried regressing your age about 20 years when you weren't such a slow old man with zero reflexes ?

All worth a shot.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: April 18, 2014, 04:33:54 AM

I eventually defeated him after a few more tries  DRILLING AND MANLINESS .

The general flight model is really well done: you can't expect to do sharp turns or other maneuvers at full speed, so it's always a matter of going back and forth with your throttle controller while you keep an eye on the enemy (another hint: follow the trail of his ship's engines!).

Plus, depending on the situation, you need to distribute the energy to a particular system (done through the hat switch as the default setting): weapons when you're confident you'll be able to discharge a certain amount of ammunition; engines when you need more speed to run away (or in other situations); systems when you need that damn shield to recharge faster. In addition, there is lateral and vertical thruster maneuvers, which are quite cool. Like other people said, sound effects are pretty nice, and I like the feel of impact when I hit the other ship. Also consider that the single-player portion for premium beta testers is based on a much older build.

tl;dr ....... FOREVER YOUNG!!!  Woot!

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: April 19, 2014, 10:46:05 PM

Is a joystick a must have sort of thing for this game?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: April 22, 2014, 04:47:08 AM

Feedback so far is that the game works well enough with joypad or even with keyboard (using the old classic Elite configuration).  Suspect joystick is the way to go though.

VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: April 22, 2014, 06:59:28 AM

Feedback so far is that the game works well enough with joypad or even with keyboard (using the old classic Elite configuration).  Suspect joystick is the way to go though.

Confirming your suspicions.

KB can indeed work in ye olde Elite mode - but it just feels so much more natural when the AI is on your tail to slam the throttle back into full reverse, yaw on the stick with roll then gun it to come up on his tail (if it works...  DRILLING AND MANLINESS ).

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #102 on: April 22, 2014, 11:14:33 PM

Heart

Oh? My father poked his head around my bedroom door and said "TURN THAT FUCKING THING OFF".

I had bought Elite on tape for C64 by second-hand selling the first three AD&D Dragonlance modules to other kids. I played Elite for years.

From what you wrote, I'm looking forward to this more than I can express. Thanks.
WayAbvPar

Reply #103 on: April 23, 2014, 04:27:40 PM

Not Dragons of the Autumn Twilight!  cry

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: April 24, 2014, 06:39:15 AM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: