Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:10:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 662364 times)
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 08:52:52 AM

I really like the idea of a basically boundless random universe.  Gives off that whole "I wonder what I'll find". 

That's exactly it for me.

I care not one jot that it will procedurally generated, because:

The best thing is randomly generated billions of star systems, in which you nest the hand made content in clever ways. Kind of like the real thing.

PG has come a long way since Elite through FFE and the aforementioned "nesting" (presumably including some of the player-scripted stories) will I suspect make the universe interesting. Heck I spent hours exploring distant systems in my Thargoid ship just because the whole cosmos felt limitless.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 08:53:46 AM

But those are going to be randomly generated, so where's the appeal of that? Or are we talking about real names and data from real stars in our galaxy? Also, in human (and player) terms, what's the difference between billions of systems and a hundred thousand systems? Or even a simple thousand systems?

Bearing in mind that the original Elite had 2048 planets (on an 8k machine) and Frontier had an astouding amount (offically claimed to be over 100,000,000 and calculated to be something like 513,982,470 according to some delving around in the source code), a game with only a 1000 systems would not be an Elite game. And yeah, there will be some pre-populated systems like Lave, Leesti, Riedquat, Diso and so on but I can't remember if Braben said that our Milky Way would feature again. Apparently Imperial and Federation space will make an appearance so Achenar is probably going to resurface.

In terms of difference to a player? Well, as someone better than me once said:

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemists, but that's just peanuts to space.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 09:01:17 AM

I really like the idea of a basically boundless random universe.  Gives off that whole "I wonder what I'll find".  The problem I have in most games attempting that is there's only a few "finds" which are worth anything and a whole shitpot full of crap no one wants. 
This is one of those times where we agree completely. I love huge games and lots of exploration...but there needs to be things to find or it's just wandering around aimlessly.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 09:03:53 AM

I.. can't find whats interesting about this title.

NVM, some of the newer videos do show some interesting things.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:09:37 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 10:51:35 AM

Ok, let me be clearer. I absolutely LOVE the idea of limitless universes, all the things you described, the "I wonder what I'll find... " feeling and the idea of nestled things here and there, are amazing to me. I grew up on Elite and Frontier as you did.

I just think you are underestimating the concept of "billions". Procedurally/Randomly populate such a mindboggling space will eventually make it... all... the... same. Let's not forget that we grew up, and what was amazing in the 80s and the 90s is so often the subject of criticism these days (poor UIs, no tutorials, obscure mechanics, etc..). So while I remember exactly why I loved the immensity of Frontier, and why I still feel a tingle just by thinking of it, I am a little skeptical about my ability to fall in love for a modern game with billions of randomly rehashed worlds and quests. How to give them any personality? How to feel, now in 2012, that I am actually moving in this virtual universe of billions of stars, instead of just having the algorithm throwing at me random cluster of planets/missions after random cluster of planets/missions giving back an actual feeling of moving (because it's too big for any movement through it to be noticeable)? That said I am not arguing with you guys, and I'm more than open to see how it'll come out and if possible fall in love all over again times a billion. Especially because I do not think that you either handcraft a hundred planets or you can't do space. I just noticed that advertising a game for "100k stars" oddly impresses me more than for shouting for "billions".

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #40 on: January 04, 2013, 10:59:04 AM

Wasn't one of the tenets of Spore a limitless universe?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #41 on: January 04, 2013, 11:44:42 AM

Wasn't one of the tenets of Spore a limitless universe?
I don't know, I never got past the nagging popups and pirate attacks that kept shitting up my sandbox. Even with its flaws, I enjoyed the game until it nagged me into never playing it again.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 14, 2013, 06:55:09 AM

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 06:58:38 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 14, 2013, 07:39:14 AM

Awesome. Considering this video, and Braben's past achievements, I am angry I can't throw 500£ at this game right now  why so serious?

EDIT: Looks like I could, actually. Anyway, they raised 3 million dollars so far. Not too bad.

More seriously, I am absolutely looking forward to this as I am looking forward to Star Citizen. It is just too bad that the latter completely stole this one's thunder, and it's most likely not going to give it back, not even a bit.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 07:49:20 AM by Falconeer »

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 14, 2013, 02:04:29 PM

Capital Ship Battle Video

While awesome, the above is Renderd.

I also found it disappointing. The fighters were okay, sure, and clearly that's what they wanted you to focus on. But I sincerely hope the capital ship combat is not that sort of "park two stationary objects next to each other and have them shoot each other until one blows up." No maneuvering, no tactics - they're not much more interactive than the planet in the background. Hardly an inspiring setup.

Even a Roman admiral, whose idea of naval tactics didn't go much beyond "let's make some artificial land so we can stab each other on the water," would have facepalmed at that. I really hope that's not indicative of how the final game plays.

More seriously, I am absolutely looking forward to this as I am looking forward to Star Citizen. It is just too bad that the latter completely stole this one's thunder, and it's most likely not going to give it back, not even a bit.

I backed SC rather than Elite solely based on "preparedness." Roberts came in with a pitch, a list of goals, and demonstrable assets. Braben came in with, "Hey, I thought I'd remake Elite." I'm exaggerating for humor, but at the time it felt like one was a plan and the other an idea.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #45 on: September 14, 2013, 04:01:01 PM

No worries, I'm here ! Let me equip my money launcher  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? why so serious?

I'm eagerly waiting for this too: after all, I grew up listening to the "Blue Danube" beep on the Atari ST while desperately trying to approach a Coriolis station  Heart
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:05:24 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: September 16, 2013, 04:40:46 AM

I backed SC rather than Elite solely based on "preparedness." Roberts came in with a pitch, a list of goals, and demonstrable assets. Braben came in with, "Hey, I thought I'd remake Elite." I'm exaggerating for humor, but at the time it felt like one was a plan and the other an idea.

When this hit KS I thought "No way this isn't hitting target" but I seem to recall it barely dragged itself over the finish line. While SC was a really hard act to follow Braben just came across as not having put much/anyt thought into it at all and rather than reward early backers (with alpha/beta access as with SC) Braben charged extra for it - I backed at 'release price' and I'm not really getting anything for that I wouldn't get had I just waited for retail.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 08:21:12 AM

I also believe Roberts tried to kick some attention to this games kickstarter. But for me, it really does come down to what storm just said, Roberts was simply more prepared and came with more on his plate before asking for money.

It would be wonderful if the two just worked together.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #48 on: September 21, 2013, 02:02:37 AM

I grew up playing the original from a tape deck on a Commodore 64. I sank many months into it, but I never even made Elite - I was the rank before, whether it was Deadly or Dangerous I can't remember. I sold second-hand early D&D Dragonlance modules (then current) to other nerds at school to raise money to buy the game, thinking it would impress my Traveller-playing friends... then I realised it was a solo activity. But I played it anyway :)

First real "open world" thing I experienced. And it was actually "open universe". I think they should remake this in wireframe, but wireframe for 2014. There's no shame in wireframe - it's a bit like black-and-white photography. It was about the gameplay.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 03, 2013, 08:15:36 AM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: November 27, 2013, 09:28:10 AM

Dev Diary #8. Cockpit, UI, HUD, etc. I skipped the #7, it was just Braben talking.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 27, 2013, 03:10:07 PM

This is due to be hitting Alpha soon - as in next month, I believe.  I may still yet donate to this one - even more so after seeing the Devs using a proper flightstick set up rather than, well, a gamepad.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: November 27, 2013, 03:18:43 PM

Looking goooood  awesome, for real . For the HUD, it looks like they're going down the "holographic" route, just like SC. Can't wait for this either.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 12, 2013, 05:48:04 AM

Meanwhile in the UK, Elite Dangerous released the "Dogfighting module" to the alpha backers.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 12, 2013, 06:36:51 AM

Yahoo! Yahoo! Keep an eye on Twitch: some alpha backers should stream later today:

http://www.twitch.tv/kerrashlanding
http://twitch.tv/sharpshifter
http://www.twitch.tv/Zallestial
http://nl.twitch.tv/nattehond/
http://twitch.tv/elitedangerous

Me, I'll have to wait for beta :)

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 12, 2013, 06:50:20 AM

Cool.

Although if you can't change the colour of the cockpit HUD to be the same blue and red scheme you get in a VW Golf, then this game is dead to me.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 12, 2013, 07:50:57 AM

http://it.twitch.tv/kerrashlanding is streaming right now  awesome, for real

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 17, 2013, 08:56:29 AM

RPS did a little preview of the pre-alpha alpha and thought it was in pretty good shape.

I can't help myself and have been watching a load of videos of people playing on YouTube either. People seem to uniformly like it so far, given it's nothing more than a series of 8 combat encounters in a single ship.

Disappointed there's no hangar module though.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 17, 2013, 08:58:45 AM

RPS did a little preview of the pre-alpha alpha and thought it was in pretty good shape.

I can't help myself and have been watching a load of videos of people playing on YouTube either. People seem to uniformly like it so far, given it's nothing more than a series of 8 combat encounters in a single ship.

Disappointed there's no hangar module though.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Needs more green  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? . But yeah, alpha has been very well received, people are quite surprised by the level of polish the game is already showing.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 17, 2013, 09:04:33 AM

I watched some streams, starting with the one you posted Lucas. It looks really nice, and in many ways it looks like MechWarrior in space, HUD (and bobblehead doll) included, which I am sure doesn't sound like a good thing around here but "the dogfighting module" of MWO has always been really good. Too bad it's missing everything else, and that's the only thing that worries me about Elite Dangerous: the terrible fear that they developed an amazing simulation in a very cool engine in order to have something good to raise interest, but eventually lack everything else. That's what happened with MWO: people loved insanely the first iterations of alpha, and assumed that the lack of any metagame or content was going to be easy to fix once they nailed down the combat part. Two years later none of that has been added, and yet MWO crowd-raised double the money Elite Dangerous did.

So anyway, let's hope for the best. What has been shown is really nice.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 19, 2013, 03:58:03 AM

This is looking good.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 20, 2013, 02:10:08 AM

The last Alpha scenario is a large-ish battle which the player can choose sides in. Some of it reminds me a bit of Freespace 2 but loving how it looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVjvRSVmRxo

Like C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.  awesome, for real

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 20, 2013, 08:11:49 AM

Is this Star Citizen's single player game?

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 20, 2013, 10:01:57 AM

Today's alpha patch added support Oculus Rift/TrackIR/Other new fangled contraptions. Of course, RPS had already tried it.

That's the last I say in this thread for a while about this in case someone accuses me of being a blind-sighted fanboy.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 21, 2013, 01:56:57 AM

It's Elite.

You go for your life son.  It's only age that's stopping me breakdancing in joy when I see some of those videos.  Add some trading to that and just ship that shit now, I'll buy it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: February 05, 2014, 12:29:19 PM

Oh yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDWnBJYTFgs  (alpha phase 2.0: MULTIPLAYER released!!)

OH YES.

Must...resist...upgrading....to alpha! (I'll be in the first round of beta, which will coincide with the introduction of the more traditional commerce/traveling system)

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: February 05, 2014, 12:48:39 PM

Just saw this. Will be interested to see what videos come out over the next few weeks.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: February 05, 2014, 01:05:34 PM

put "Elite Dangerous" in your twitch tv search box and you should come up with some guys streaming live right now :)

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #68 on: February 05, 2014, 01:38:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDWnBJYTFgs  (alpha phase 2.0: MULTIPLAYER released!!)

Holy shit. Do want.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 07, 2014, 04:11:28 AM

Alpha 3.0 aka the "Hangar module" planned for release in mid March.  Will include docking...  (for more info and pics of docking computer, see newsletter)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: