Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:42:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Fifth Gear 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fifth Gear  (Read 2295 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

on: November 05, 2012, 01:41:39 PM

One of the Discovery channels started airing Fifth Gear. A bit like Top Gear, but *much* better!

They actually talk about the cars/trucks/whatevers a bit, give some practical advice, do some practical tests.

I had heard about this show in the past, but this is the first time I've seen it aired in the US.
Just started season 21, new episode this Wednesday.

More here: http://velocity.discovery.com/tv/fifth-gear/

- Viin
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 01:49:13 PM

One of the Discovery channels started airing Fifth Gear. A bit like Top Gear, but *much* better!

They actually talk about the cars/trucks/whatevers a bit, give some practical advice, do some practical tests.

I had heard about this show in the past, but this is the first time I've seen it aired in the US.
Just started season 21, new episode this Wednesday.

More here: http://velocity.discovery.com/tv/fifth-gear/

I don't mind Fifth Gear (older seasons are also on Netflix), but I much prefer Top Gear precisely because they aren't trying to be helpful/give consumer advice and just screw off and do dumb stuff the whole time - there's tons of shows/magazines/websites out there churning out advertorial disguised as consumer education, but automotive comedy is pretty much a Top Gear thing only.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 01:50:14 PM

As long as they aren't traveling in the US.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 02:39:29 PM

Fifth gear isn't too bad, but at least lately I have felt like they've tried to squeeze a little too much into too little time. Having said that, there's still room for them given the fact they are giving advice, and top gear is all about goofing off.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 02:40:04 PM

I don't mind Fifth Gear (older seasons are also on Netflix), but I much prefer Top Gear precisely because they aren't trying to be helpful/give consumer advice and just screw off and do dumb stuff the whole time - there's tons of shows/magazines/websites out there churning out advertorial disguised as consumer education, but automotive comedy is pretty much a Top Gear thing only.

Yeah I gave up Netflix awhile ago, but I may try to find some past episodes for my next trip to the east coast (4hrs+ on plane = a bored Viin). I like Top Gear too, some of their stuff is great (launching a Robin with rockets? yes!), but I also like to hear about tech as I don't read car magazines too much. Plus they actually show you some of the driving techniques they use, rather than just making funny remarks while driving a car up and down a runway.

- Viin
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 03:09:45 PM

I love it when they travel in the US.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 01:11:02 PM

The Miami to New Orleans trip episode is easily one of my all-time favorites.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 04:53:43 AM

It was a very subtle joke. Too subtle, apparently.

Recall; they were only allowed in to the country in 2008, "as long as they weren't entertaining."  Ergo, no automotive comedy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_%28series_12%29

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 06:17:04 AM

The one where they were trying to not be entertaining was pretty darn funny. But Miami to New Orleans is still the best..

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 09:02:57 AM

Actually, speaking of top gear and america, the us branch of top gear is actually pretty good, and seems to be redoing the funnier uk shenanigans with a us slant.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 09:17:20 AM

Yeah the US version started off .. painful .. but now its a lot better.

- Viin
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 04:57:33 PM

I like how this turned into the Top Gear thread.

I also love Top Gear. ;)

The best travel episode was South America. By leaps and bounds. Except for when they almost got killed by rednecks.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Fifth Gear  
Jump to: