Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:07:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Cargo Commander 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cargo Commander  (Read 2376 times)
ffc
Terracotta Army

on: November 03, 2012, 12:07:36 PM

Cargo Commander is $8 on steam and $6 for the Steam code on GMG after coupon. I bought this because I thought it was Spelunky in space and it kind of is but I like this a whole bunch more. Here's a good video of some gameplay. 

Basically you are a guy in space exploring cargo containers to collect stuff for the corporation you work for. There are two modes to play.  In the unlockable Journey mode, levels are random every time you play and you just try to explore as far as you can while returning to base to upgrade yourself and dive back in.

In Career mode, there is a bit of a story revealed through periodic emails which has you trying to rank up to get privileges to visit home and it kind of reminds me of the movie Moon. You will eventually get parcels mailed from home which you can pay for with the excess stuff you collect. The levels ("sectors") in this mode are created when you or someone else visits the sector for the first time and the sector stays that way with the rough goal of getting far enough in it to find a "final" cargo container (you can keep playing after this container though) which has a sector pass that you use for warping to a new sector to collect new types of stuff. You can also warp to old sectors you have already played at any time and they remain unchanged, or you can create a brand new sector by typing in a word or letter combination that has not been previously used.

The static nature of these sectors creates leader boards per sector. For example, the sector named Cthulhu is very popular with high leader board scores whereas the sector named Stars has only been played once. You can come across the corpses of other players who have died in the sector you are playing and you can loot them (I haven't found a corpse yet but I die pretty quick).

The isolationist space setting (junky destructible environments, rotating gravity, jumping into space between cargo containers, etc.), asynchronous multiplayer and the funny impersonal corporate emails are keeping me quite entertained. It's very well put together for being a cheap indie game.
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 10:33:33 PM

f13 sector created. Come loot my corpse.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 01:50:02 PM

Cargo Commander is on sale for $2.49 during the Steam Fall Sale.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Cargo Commander  
Jump to: