Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 05:37:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Things to do in Austin when you're dead (ok not dead, but 40) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things to do in Austin when you're dead (ok not dead, but 40)  (Read 5325 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

on: October 16, 2012, 11:20:39 PM

Going to be in Austin for a few days next week. Need some ideas of what to do. Not going to have a lot of free time but will have a day and a half or so and evenings. Would like to see some music but not really interested in fighting the college drunkards and meatheads. Staying "downtown" as far as I can tell, so any suggestions would be welcome.

Will have the wife with me so some ideas of stuff she could do while I'm in my conference would also be cool.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 04:34:05 PM

beer geek.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:43:19 PM

I'm a shut-in but here are my two downtown suggestions:

Beer: Gingerman
Food: Frank (get the Jackalope, it will change your life)

Stay off of E. 6th after dark to avoid the college drunkards.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 06:05:56 PM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 06:08:15 PM

Cool. Thanks.

I've heard mention of "East 6th" and "West 6th". Are those actual different streets or is there some dividing cross street that delineates the two? Is there really a different vibe on West 6th?

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:10:17 PM

What are the specific dates you are there?  I'll ask my buddy who's into the music scene what bands are playing that are worth going to.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 06:12:13 PM

20-24th.

-H.L. Mencken
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 06:39:09 PM

Cool. Thanks.

I've heard mention of "East 6th" and "West 6th". Are those actual different streets or is there some dividing cross street that delineates the two? Is there really a different vibe on West 6th?
Congress is the dividing line. There was a difference last time I was down there which has been a couple years by now, more low key and older crowd on the west side of 6th. I drove through there about a week ago and it did seem like it's skewing much younger than it was. W. 6th also has functioning toilets, if you're into that sort of thing.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 07:42:05 AM

My buddy's recommendation for music is the Dirty Dozen Brass Band at Antone's on Saturday and Bob Schneider on Monday night at the Saxon Pub.  If you're going for Schneider he says you'll need to get there early (like 6:30 or 7:00) but he's pretty damned good.  There's also Junior Brown at the Continental Club on Sunday night at 7:30.  

I don't know what sort of music you are into, but the Dirty Dozen Brass Band are pretty badass.  It would be different and a really fun show.  

Addendum-  Oh yeah, the Cult are playing at Stubb's on the 24th. That could be awesome, if you are still around.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:43:49 AM by ghost »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 03:30:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I was already looking at the DDBB. Saw them a million years ago so it would be fun to see them again.

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 08:35:55 AM

I thought Austin had some pretty good food when I was there recently, all up and down the expense scale. The food truck scene in South Austin was pretty impressive.

The bats coming out of the bridges at sunset was touristy but cool.

Drafthouse is fun if there's a flick you want to see while you're there.

The area of 6th with the college-age drunks is indeed baleful past 9pm or so, esp. on a weekend. I'd feel more secure walking around in the middle of a race riot in a slum, really.
WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 01:43:27 PM

Hurry home- your EVIL family misses you  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 02:30:03 PM

I have been having the WoT DTs.

Town is pretty cool. Saw Looper at the Alamo Draftshouse yesterday which was fun. Been going to good restaurants and will be hitting some music tonight.

Had good BBQ for lunch but had to sit next to some guys who talked like they were GOP big-wheel insiders going on and on about the presidential election which was somewhat insufferable.

Its too damn hot and humid here for being nearly November.

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 02:47:21 PM

Had good BBQ for lunch but had to sit next to some guys who talked like they were GOP big-wheel insiders going on and on about the presidential election which was somewhat insufferable.

Welcome to Texas, bro.   awesome, for real

Really you just have to grin and bear it.  There's enough fun stuff in Austin to make it worth putting up with those sorts of douchebags.

What sort of meeting are you attending?
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 03:49:15 PM

Go see F1 this weekend.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 04:05:58 PM

I thought Austin had some pretty good food when I was there recently, all up and down the expense scale. The food truck scene in South Austin was pretty impressive.

The bats coming out of the bridges at sunset was touristy but cool.

Drafthouse is fun if there's a flick you want to see while you're there.

The area of 6th with the college-age drunks is indeed baleful past 9pm or so, esp. on a weekend. I'd feel more secure walking around in the middle of a race riot in a slum, really.
There's actually nearly no crime (other than marijuana smoking, public drunkenness, and occasional nudity) on 6th street.  Cops come down like the wrath of God on anyone who tries to rob someone within a block of the strip.

Reminded me of Bourbon Street, but with less urinating in the alleys.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 06:06:28 PM

Municipal lawyers conference. I'm at the show you recommended as I type.

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 06:08:11 PM

Municipal lawyers conference. I'm at the show you recommended as I type.

Awesome man!  Have fun. 
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 08:51:11 PM

I dunno, the week I was there, I saw two fistfights at 9pm or so within two blocks of the Driskill that were serious business, not just a couple of drunks pawing at each other and puking when they were done. No cops for a long time, and one of the fights ended up involving 10 guys or so before it wound down.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 05:52:00 AM

I dunno, the week I was there, I saw two fistfights at 9pm or so within two blocks of the Driskill that were serious business, not just a couple of drunks pawing at each other and puking when they were done. No cops for a long time, and one of the fights ended up involving 10 guys or so before it wound down.

Yeah, I tend to hear about this quite a bit from people I know who frequent the area.  It's not really a place for grownups, in my opinion. 
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 09:53:02 AM

Yeah, I tend to hear about this quite a bit from people I know who frequent the area.  It's not really a place for grownups, in my opinion. 
I think if you're over the age of 25, walk the length of 6th from Brazos to Red River/35 and back on a Friday or Saturday night just to see the chaos. Get a brat from the Best Wurst cart. Don't go into any bar, just take a look-see and then go someplace else.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 09:58:48 AM

I would take a sword if I was going to do that. 
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 03:22:21 PM

Sorry I missed this thread earlier.  Would have recommended Malagas or really any place on 2nd and for sure the Elephant room if you like jazz.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 04:55:57 PM

Had a good time. Gained 5 pounds.  awesome, for real

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 05:06:03 PM

What bands did you see, where did you see them and where/what did you eat?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 05:19:03 PM

Only went out for music once and it was to see Schneider at the Saxon Pub.

Ate everything under the sun basically and drank too much. Went to Eddy V's, Roaring Fork, Alamo Draftshouse, Moonshine Pub, Ironworks BBQ, Uchiko and the Turf n Surf food shack (x2).

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 05:30:23 PM

How was Bob?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 05:48:27 PM

Was fun.  He is musically all over the place but they have a good time and are pretty tight.  Enjoyed the shiner bock on tap and [edit: surreptitiously] checking out the local...uh..talent.

EDIT: Damn autocorrect. Just meant there were some mighty fine young lasses at the show that I had to make sure my wife didn't see me perusing.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 05:53:49 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 06:08:10 PM

That is certainly one of the best parts of Austin.  It's worth going to a football game there just for that reason. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Things to do in Austin when you're dead (ok not dead, but 40)  
Jump to: