Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 09:25:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anyone here talented with data visualization / web design? Need a bit of help. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone here talented with data visualization / web design? Need a bit of help.  (Read 1343 times)
Scold
Terracotta Army

on: October 04, 2012, 06:29:19 PM

In short: for work, I need to build a really, really complicated org chart. Thousands of nodes, complex interconnections (not just easy "flows from the top down", a lot of lines going from/to weird places).  I need some way to construct the org chart visually, and then put it on the web in zoomable form. (Ideally not just as a massive image file, but something dynamically generated where it's vector rather than bitmap, so zooming in doesn't make things blurry and zooming out it's still readable)

This seems like the sort of thing that you'd think there would be tons of tools out there for already. But so far the only tools I've found that can help me build this sort of thing are just like "either you're a programmer or GTFO". Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms?

I'm pretty handy with i2/Analyst's Notebook, so if there's some way to use Analyst's Notebook files and easily put them online, that would be a strong possibility. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 07:48:06 PM

ya know, this is a bizzare idea, but it kinda fits the question:   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

maybe try it in VRML, or better yet set up an Open Sim (freebie version of Second Life) and do it there for free as long as you host it on your own machine (no problem if you can limit to less than 5 or 10 or so users at a time).  Use shapes and colors as needed for categorizing things.  zoom in as close as you want to one node or out to see the whole thing, from any angle.  Consumers can log in with an avatar to fly around and see what they want to see, or you can script and capture a fly-through video to make a presentation of it.

thousands of nodes aren't going to all be both visible and readable at once no matter what you do or what medium you do it in.You might could do it in a football stadium with posterboards for nodes or something but even then you'd need good binoculars to read the farthest nodes.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:45:20 PM

I've used GraphViz for something like this before, but yeah, it does require someone program up the interface between the data source and the final format, and it can be a pain to set up.  It also fails on your requirements of not being one giant image, but I've used it to create organized flowcharts to pipe data sets to a web page before.  My personal experience was using it with ruby on rails though, using a library that interfaces in between the two.  Mostly just throwing this out there in case it helps any.

http://www.graphviz.org/
https://github.com/glejeune/Ruby-Graphviz
http://www.omninerd.com/articles/Automating_Data_Visualization_with_Ruby_and_Graphviz
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 11:02:42 PM

I too was going to recommend GraphViz.  Not sure what the programmatic interface is like but I figure the thing to do would be to use GraphViz to lay everything out in "space" and then do your own rendering with JS or whatever so you can zoom in and view individual parts rather than having one giant image.

Another option might be using the Google Maps API, like that Minecraft map thing that someone set up.  I assume that works by giving it a set of giant image files that it chunks up and loads dynamically on the client as they zoom and pan.

Thousands of nodes means that it will not be readable when zoomed out, period.  Your screen is only a couple of thousand pixels wide.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 11:13:43 PM

http://prezi.com (flash-based) allows you to make pan/zoom presentations easily, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend it for thousands of nodes. Sure is flashy (dohohoho), though.

Other than that, I can third graphviz - if it can make UML diagrams for ridiculously complex programs, it can make organizational charts awesome, for real. I'm not well-versed with jquery, but it has to have some data visualization libraries as well...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:15:36 PM by Zetor »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 01:53:42 AM

SharePoint has that built in.  why so serious?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 08:20:42 AM

Yeah, SP has it built in.  Only $1500 per seat! ;)
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 11:45:53 PM

Pretty sure we have a SharePoint license kicking around that noboy's using at the moment. :D didn't realize it could publish live to the web.

Thanks for the advice, all! Google Maps API also looks like a strong contender...

Edit: I'm not sure SP permissions would allow me to publish it to the live web wherever I want, though :X wouldn't it be stuck on my company's SP server? Ideally I'd want a copy of this on my personal non-company webpage too, down the road. Not well versed in SP though, so I might have this all wrong.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:53:16 PM by Scold »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 07:30:29 AM

I haven't read the thread, but I'll do it for half what that other guy asked.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 07:34:58 AM

I haven't read the thread, but I'll do it for half what that other guy asked.

Just 10$ for a quicky? Now that's a bargain. why so serious?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 04:40:08 PM

Pretty sure we have a SharePoint license kicking around that noboy's using at the moment. :D didn't realize it could publish live to the web.

Thanks for the advice, all! Google Maps API also looks like a strong contender...

Edit: I'm not sure SP permissions would allow me to publish it to the live web wherever I want, though :X wouldn't it be stuck on my company's SP server? Ideally I'd want a copy of this on my personal non-company webpage too, down the road. Not well versed in SP though, so I might have this all wrong.

You probably don't want to publish all the stuff that SP would pick up from AD anyway.

Here's an overview of SP's way of doing it (I hope you like Silverlight). Pretty sure it isn't exactly what you need in reality.

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/en-us/product/pages/Feature-Details.aspx?Capability=Communities&FeatureID=79
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:42:21 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anyone here talented with data visualization / web design? Need a bit of help.  
Jump to: