Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:49:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Once upon a time 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Once upon a time  (Read 7689 times)
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

on: September 30, 2012, 12:06:06 PM

Second season starts today people. Interested to see where they go with it now that they've kind of boxed themselves in.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 12:17:20 PM

The Mrs. and I enjoyed the first season very much.  I understand they're still going to do some dual-plot line stuff between the real world and make-believe, but now that magic's in the real world, I don't think they boxed themselves in.  I think they broke the box  why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 03:27:37 PM

I'm betting that with the advent of magic in the "real world" town people won't be able to leave it anymore.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 06:07:25 PM

Hrm. So is this kind of similar to the Fables series of comics? Fairy tale creatures and people living among mundane people?

I may have to give this a second look.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 03:28:30 AM

Season opener was alright.

All that said, as long as Robert Carlyle can keep the show afloat, I'll probably still watch it  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 04:12:07 AM

It's like people didn't know this was a disney show....it is indeed live action kingdom hearts and to be honest, I'd like to see some keyblades.

Actually you could have figured out this was a disney property way back in the jimminy cricket episode. That character was wholly created and owned by disney, no way around putting him in a show without their approval and no way they'd approve of putting characters in piecemeal.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 05:40:48 AM

Used to watch, especially because Carlyle just eats up the show around him; but I quickly lost interest since every episode seemed to just be spinning its wheels with the same outcome: Emma and the kid do some stuff that lays background into the story, evil queen comes out on top in the end. *yawn* Rather watch my Browns play on TV than watch that frustrating storyline.

Glad to see it is still around though since I know a couple people really like the show.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 07:40:36 AM

It's like people didn't know this was a disney show....it is indeed live action kingdom hearts and to be honest, I'd like to see some keyblades.

Actually you could have figured out this was a disney property way back in the jimminy cricket episode. That character was wholly created and owned by disney, no way around putting him in a show without their approval and no way they'd approve of putting characters in piecemeal.

I just wanted to say, I found his back-story, and how they connected it to the "traditional" telling, really awesome.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 12:07:51 PM

It was one of the better episodes and surprisingly dark.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 12:54:40 PM

It was one of the better episodes and surprisingly dark.

Likely why I liked it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 03:40:48 PM

Actually you could have figured out this was a disney property way back in the jimminy cricket episode. 
Eh, I always figured it was a Disney show, given they own ABC. Established franchises that needed a modern telling in a way less geeky way than for those who follow Warren Spector smiley

I enjoyed the episode. I like they retained the dual-track storyline without ret-conning than past narrative. It was dark in a way I wish parts of the first season were. Because I agree with 01101010: the first season had a bunch of predictable vignettes that didn't really move anything along.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 08:00:06 PM

I have also been watching this show with great interest.  I give them props simply for integrating the fairy tales in a way that wasn't just blatantly campy.  I love the guy who is playing Rumplestiltskin.  He made the first season for me.  The blade is cool as hell too, great ideas through and through.  That being said I didn't like this episode as much as I did the first season until the end which was pretty darn cool and altogether something I hadn't expected.  I can't wait to see where they go with this.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 03:21:02 AM

So they burned their Halloween shot by having some fun with progressing the Wicked Witch's origin story by bringing in Dr. Frankenstein.  As in 'the' Dr. Frankenstein, of monster-making prophecy.  Which means that, really, NOTHING is off the table with what tales they could spin with this series.  Can't wait for Capt. Jack Sparrow to pop up at some point.  Or for next year's Halloween, the other Jack.

Also, props to the writers for making Emma's rogue/mercenary skills kill the whole "Capt. Hook tries infiltrate the good guy posse" thing.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 05:53:02 AM

My girlfriend loves this so I'm in for the long haul but the whole evil queen heel/face turn is SO poorly handled.  It's all mommy's fault, really?

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 09:54:15 PM

My girlfriend loves this so I'm in for the long haul but the whole evil queen heel/face turn is SO poorly handled.  It's all mommy's fault, really?

Odd. One of the best parts of the show IMO is that neither Regina nor Rumple are wholly evil. They both have redeeming traits and the show has done a great job of showing both sides of them.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 07:02:58 AM

Odd. One of the best parts of the show IMO is that neither Regina nor Rumple are wholly evil. They both have redeeming traits and the show has done a great job of showing both sides of them.

You always got the impression that Gold had depth, maybe it was the actor but Regina was a total 180 from evil witch to frightened little girl.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 09:40:49 PM

You always got the impression that Gold had depth, maybe it was the actor but Regina was a total 180 from evil witch to frightened little girl.

I felt they did a good job of laying the groundwork for Regina to have depth as well. However, until Season 2 she didn't have a reason to be redeemed. I doubt she'll stay 'good' for long anyway. I think when her mother comes to town she's going to be of the mindset of doing whatever it takes to win and we'll see her backslide.

I am also extremely excited to see Dr. Frankenstein as it really kicks the door open. Invisible Man? Dr Jekyl? Dracula maybe? Who knows what else they can pull in now.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 08:31:10 PM

I felt they did a good job of laying the groundwork for Regina to have depth as well. However, until Season 2 she didn't have a reason to be redeemed. I doubt she'll stay 'good' for long anyway. I think when her mother comes to town she's going to be of the mindset of doing whatever it takes to win and we'll see her backslide.

I am also extremely excited to see Dr. Frankenstein as it really kicks the door open. Invisible Man? Dr Jekyl? Dracula maybe? Who knows what else they can pull in now.

I wouldn't mind seeing what they can do with Dorian Grey.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 11:56:23 AM

Mid season finale.  More reveals and such.

I'll keep watching this.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 11:09:41 AM

Ok, I laughed out loud at the Star Wars theme playing as the ringtone on that guy's phone.  Cute way for Disney to crow about acquiring the rights and they're having pretty much everything else cross over with the show.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Over and out.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 11:16:57 AM

Yes, was nice to have some more elaboration on Frankenstein last night.  Also, they found a way for Jorge Garcia to stay gainfully employed for another little bit  awesome, for real

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 02:45:36 PM

I saw some online speculation that car crash guy might be Peter Pan. They were basing it off some clues on his license plate and something else I forget. If so, then maybe 'her' is Wendy.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 10:46:29 PM

Just finished watching Season 1. This show is in all aspects superior to Grimm. I hope season 2 is as good.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 02:01:12 PM

Just finished watching Season 1. This show is in all aspects superior to Grimm. I hope season 2 is as good.

Grimm has Monroe. He alone raises the bar. Still, Once Upon a Time doesn't have a piece of wood for a lead actor so that works out well...

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 05:40:55 AM

Grimm season 2 is much better now that he's, you know, being a Grimm.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 03:14:08 AM

Shit, they REALLY know how to keep everyone in the family on this show  why so serious?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 08:02:38 AM

So, new season is up and running.

- Robin Hood, the merry men, and Tinker Bell are all in.
- Peter Pan's a dick.
- Mulan's a lesbian.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!   why so serious?

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 09:48:39 AM

I though Mulan was all moist for Prince Henry... but her being a lesbian adds nothing but makes sense~~
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 08:59:58 PM

Tinkerbell should not have soulless shark eyes. That is all.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 09:26:22 PM

There's also Once Upon a Time in Wonderland now, too.  The Knave of Hearts is awesome haha.  He kind of reminds me a bit of Rudy from Misfits, only without all the sex talk.

Over and out.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 21, 2013, 03:09:20 PM

I hope Henry is dead.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 06:39:45 PM

I hope Henry is dead.

No such luck, but...

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 06:49:29 PM

I hope Henry is dead.

No such luck, but...

Wait what that wasn't the finale?
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 06:56:16 PM

That was my response. Once upon a time does know how to stretch it... luckily that's not a bad thing.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 07:11:15 PM

I hope Henry is dead.

No such luck, but...

Wait what that wasn't the finale?

Mea culpa.  It was the winter finale.  Episode names for the first two episodes of the second half of season 3 were leaked already.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Once upon a time  
Jump to: