Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:37:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clash of Clans  (Read 169706 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #245 on: February 28, 2015, 11:17:53 AM

We could start letting in active randoms to pad our numbers for wars...

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #246 on: February 28, 2015, 11:34:09 AM

I am being more active lately, and in a few weeks when I move out of Poland, I'll only have my tablet/iphone and no computer to keep me entertained for 2 months.  So I'll be even more active.   awesome, for real

So please add me back into the wars when ever we have the numbers.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #247 on: February 28, 2015, 02:17:09 PM

Sam

awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #248 on: February 28, 2015, 04:22:23 PM

why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: February 28, 2015, 04:39:36 PM

Merusk if you could logon and get one or two Clan Wars stars that'd be great!
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: February 28, 2015, 07:13:41 PM

Yeah this is a wholly different game with an active warring clan. Good fun, constant upgrades.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #251 on: February 28, 2015, 08:09:06 PM

Merusk if you could logon and get one or two Clan Wars stars that'd be great!

Capital Merusk is Merusk Jr, I don't think he's reading this thread.   awesome, for real  He wouldn't have been able to get any stars off the guys who were left anway.

We actually had 100% participation on that last war; I really dig this pick and choose thing.  Means we can actually go toe to toe with srsbsns clans without having to kick people who aren't srsbsns.  I'm hoping some of the new meat helps us get more clan XP.  We'll see how it works out.

Yeah this is a wholly different game with an active warring clan. Good fun, constant upgrades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRvCwtLLV6I
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:14:47 PM by Samwise »

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: March 01, 2015, 03:05:18 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #253 on: March 02, 2015, 09:25:11 AM

OK, anyone got some lowbie survival tips?  I was winning a lot of early defenses, but it just appears people were raiding me for supplies.  Once I tightened up my defenses, someone just flattened my base.

And do my lowbie shit troops help at all?  If so, what variety of lowbie shit troops do you prefer?  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #254 on: March 02, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

My standard advice is to pick between gaining trophies and gaining resources.  If you want to save up resources to build, arrange your village so that your resources are protected but your town hall isn't, so people will squish your town hall but not make it to your resources.  A determined attacker at your level can generally make it through at least half your base; make it so the more attractive half to hit is the half you don't care about as much.

As far as troops, lowbie archers make excellent all-round defenders.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: March 02, 2015, 08:46:20 PM

Lowbie survival is an oxymoron.

Why don't you try our other games?
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: March 03, 2015, 02:56:39 PM

May be giving this game too much attention.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: March 03, 2015, 03:13:57 PM

OK, anyone got some lowbie survival tips?  I was winning a lot of early defenses, but it just appears people were raiding me for supplies.  Once I tightened up my defenses, someone just flattened my base.

And do my lowbie shit troops help at all?  If so, what variety of lowbie shit troops do you prefer?  awesome, for real

Just stick your TH outside, trophies are easier to get than lose, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Priority for behind walls at low(ish) levels are:

1) Storages
2) Air Defense
3) Mortars
4) Wizard Towers
5) Archer Towers
6) Cannons
7) Collectors

x) Everything else

Clan castle varies a lot depending on whether your clanmates actively donate. A level 1 castle with 5-10 level 6 archers, barbs, or minions will wreck most low-level assaults.

Don't over-level your Town Hall before getting your other buildings levelled up. Having a higher TH level lowers your reward against other lower level THs (which if your troops are underlevelled will be the only bases you can knock over) and having more low-level defenses is generally worse than fewer levelled defenses

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: March 03, 2015, 03:19:52 PM

Ditto this. Always have your clan castle central to your base. A valk in your castle will straight fuck most attacks. (Except air.)

Keep your aa leveled.

Rasix

Reply #259 on: March 03, 2015, 04:54:42 PM

Thanks for the tips.  I went from getting attacked and raided constantly to only getting attacked twice last night.  They only got a few thousand gold, and I got a free shield.  The donated troops helped greatly.

I need to beef up my AA.

-Rasix
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: March 03, 2015, 06:10:25 PM

Should probably swap out a cannon for an air defense, then...

REMAKE THE CHART
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: March 04, 2015, 01:17:52 PM

For some reason, everyone thinks dragon attacks are the shit. Keep your aa leveled and your resource containers by your aa, and you'll fuck em up and they won't know why.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #262 on: March 04, 2015, 06:05:51 PM

How many times have I complained about lazy-ass dragon drops?

I actually end up having more of a problem with 15-20 giant drops - just cannot get enough DPS on-target before they make a beach head into my base.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #263 on: March 04, 2015, 11:11:20 PM

Spring traps in strategic locations really fuck giants up.   awesome, for real 

If you've ever seen my main base setup, it's got a little configuration specifically designed to wipe giants out -- tesla, row of traps, tesla.  They bunch up attacking the first tesla, then when it's dead they all move en masse to the second, they trigger the traps, and they're all gone in a blink.  I can almost hear the screams of frustration when I watch the replays.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: March 05, 2015, 01:49:47 AM

I don't have a problem with lowbie troops when I request stuff. I don't really ever use CC troops for attacks so they're just a little distraction for attackers and can at least get them to waste time eliminating them.

Some general defence tips:
Prioritise and sacrifice. Look at that priority list and decide how much of it you can actually get inside your walls. Generally at low levels everything except storage and defences should be outside and is just there to slow down your enemy while your towers hammer them. Personally I'd say stick your Town Hall out there too. I never understand players who have things like army camps all together in a corner somewhere.
Compartmentalise. Try to separate different parts of your base so that getting troops through your wall doesn't let them run riot on everything. Also AI prioritises targets based on what they can reach, so if a horde of barbarians breaks into your main base they will not try to take out towers killing them until everything in that compartment is dead.

General playing tip: Raid whenever you have time, collectors take forever to get resources together so you really need to raid.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: March 07, 2015, 02:00:48 PM

I actually prioritised levelling up my collectors and haven't regretted it; you can cap them out pretty early on, and it's steady income even when you can't raid. I'm perpetually baffled when I see so many TH9 and TH10 bases with level 4 collectors or some shit... The upgrades aren't even expensive, they pay for themselves in a day or two and after that it's just free income.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: March 08, 2015, 07:30:03 PM

Those are the folks that buy everything with gems, and buying collectors with gems just isn't efficient.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: March 10, 2015, 02:34:02 AM

I can see your point but I've been rushing advancement as much as I can and have had enough time to spare farming other players. When you've got that income spending the day or two of builder time on collectors isn't a very good use of their time. Once you're getting to TH 6 or 7 fully upgrading all your collectors takes a week or so of builder time so it's a bit of a speed bump. By that point it's also a lot slower than farming (fully upgraded collectors are getting in maybe 10K per hour, one good raid can net you 100K and you can do 3 or 4 an hour at TH6).

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: March 10, 2015, 08:24:12 AM

I can see your point but I've been rushing advancement as much as I can and have had enough time to spare farming other players. When you've got that income spending the day or two of builder time on collectors isn't a very good use of their time. Once you're getting to TH 6 or 7 fully upgrading all your collectors takes a week or so of builder time so it's a bit of a speed bump. By that point it's also a lot slower than farming (fully upgraded collectors are getting in maybe 10K per hour, one good raid can net you 100K and you can do 3 or 4 an hour at TH6).

Just wait.  You'll be wishing you could level up your collectors more.  Believe you me sir.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: March 10, 2015, 02:57:10 PM

Now that I can start collecting Dark Elixir I feel less an incentive to rush Town Hall.
Strazos

Reply #270 on: March 10, 2015, 11:15:02 PM

At TH8 I am finding raids to be prohibitively expensive at times - often, targets have shit for loot, and those that do are typically TH9/10 with defenses I cannot reasonably crack unless I do lazy dragon drops, which drives me nuts.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: March 11, 2015, 06:43:01 AM

At TH8 I am finding raids to be prohibitively expensive at times - often, targets have shit for loot, and those that do are typically TH9/10 with defenses I cannot reasonably crack unless I do lazy dragon drops, which drives me nuts.

This becomes less of a problem once you get to the point of being able to win at master 3 rank.  The 100k/100k/500 win bonus means i just have to win and i make a guaranteed small profit.  The down side is i get flattened about 25% of the time when i start to get close to the 4.5mil i need for my next upgrade.  Losing 400k makes it hard to get there.

This can be mitigated somewhat by leaving loot in the cc until it's enough to put you over.  It's much safer in there.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #272 on: March 11, 2015, 10:27:36 AM

My strategy re: building collectors was to split my builders up between building stuff that was as expensive as possible and cheap but slow stuff (i.e. collectors).  If I had three builders, I'd keep one builder on upgrading collectors at all times, and then try to have one big gold construction job and one big elixir construction job going at any given time -- ideally once a builder finished upgrading a tower, I'd have amassed just enough gold to upgrade another tower, and with multiple options I'd just pick the most expensive one that I was able to afford at that point so as not to leave that builder idle, and spend any leftover gold on wall upgrades first if available.  The idea is to not have idle builders or overflowing stores, obv.  If you can avoid both of those you're doing great.

Obviously using your gems on more builders should be top priority so as to speed all this along.   awesome, for real  Before I bought my 5th builder I wouldn't even spend gems on the "cheap" boosts when those specials came around.  Eyes on the prize!  But then I'm a cheapskate who never actually buys gems and just lets them run in at a slow trickle on their own.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:29:46 AM by Samwise »

Rasix

Reply #273 on: March 11, 2015, 05:50:37 PM

So, what sort of levels / protection do you need before it's a good idea to opt in for clan wars? 

-Rasix
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: March 12, 2015, 03:54:24 AM

Depends a lot on the opponents, below TH 9 you are almost guaranteed to get stomped by someone (and quite possibly at TH 9 if there's a TH 10 on the other side) so it's more a matter of being high enough to be able to at least get a few starts off someone. At TH 6 with max army camps and a couple of max barracks I can be pretty confident there will be 2 or 3 opponents I'll be able to to 2 or 3 star. At TH 5 it's a bit dicier but I think there's an algorithm to try and make wars competitive so any time is good as long as your defences are well upgraded for TH level.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #275 on: March 12, 2015, 04:25:19 PM

there's an algorithm to try and make wars competitive so any time is good as long as your defences are well upgraded for TH level.

That.  As long as you're fine at pvp relative to your general level war should work out okay.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: March 12, 2015, 07:03:03 PM

*shrug* It's free income, and as long as you don't upgrade them you're missing out.

At TH9 with six level 12 collectors I'm getting 21000 of each resource per hour. Even with a cheap raiding setup (24 Giants, 100 Archers, King, Queen, 3 Heal, 1 Rage) I need to clear bases at a minimum of about 100K elixir to break even, and there just aren't that many bases with that many resources that are easily cracked. Also, depending on how many spells I use, I'm looking at 45mins-1.5hrs just to rearm between fights. So at this level I'm incredibly glad of the extra income. Just overnight I net maybe 200-300K of each resource, that's not trivial when your cheapest upgrade is 2.5mil.

You're right that upgrading your extractors is a speed bump, but it's one that pays for itself so stupidly quickly that you'd be daft not to imo.

TH8 is a pretty rough spot. All I can say is that probably 40% or so of the bases I see at Crystal III are TH8 (the very occasional TH7, mostly TH9, plenty of TH10), and not all are very good. I think many rely on the fact that they simply cannot offer enough reward to be worth attacking by higher-level players. You get 35,000/35,000/100 bonus per fight, which I imagine would defray a decent chunk of your raiding costs? I slogged out most of my TH8 time down in the low silver leagues, feeding off dead bases with full extractors, and easy targets who were saving for upgrades, safe in the knowledge that most of the other players were too shit to raid me. I think the same could work up in the higher leagues, I don't know how far you could push it. The tradeoff is that on the one hand, the higher you go, there will be fewer and fewer people to whom you represent a profitable target, on the other hand, the bases you can crack and win (accounting for the bonus) will decrease. I think the worst thing is to sit in the middle, where you get raided by better players, but there are fewer shit bases to prey on. THe worst of both worlds.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: March 13, 2015, 10:32:25 PM

At master3 (and crystal 1 to some extent) the win bonus covers the troop cost so you just have to win and care a lot less about what resources the target base has.  Priority is bases you can crack.  Inferno towers suck.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: March 14, 2015, 08:48:59 AM

*shrug* It's free income, and as long as you don't upgrade them you're missing out.

I get your point and I imagine it's true at higher TH levels (sounds like maybe from about 8) when upgrade costs start getting bonkers and raiding becomes harder work. Thing is that at 6 or below (can't speak to higher levels with experience yet) it's not hard to raid a bit and get the resources for most upgrades. It's a little more efficient (I think) in terms of builder time to keep teching based on raiding income and spend the builder time for the collectors when it's becoming difficult to get the cash for the big upgrades. That way while you're trying to save for your 2million gold cannon upgrade or whatever you can keep your builders busy improving random collectors.

Of course that's coming from someone with a bit of an ADD mindset to things like this where I'm 'wasting' builder time if they're not doing anything. It's also just as valid to take things a little slower and tech everything up at once, you get to the exact same place eventually.

Strazos

Reply #279 on: March 29, 2015, 04:03:09 PM

Any opinions on my new layout?

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans  
Jump to: