Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:07:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clash of Clans  (Read 169691 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #210 on: February 10, 2015, 01:02:38 PM

For raiding, I'll generally go with:

8 Giants
8 Wallbreakers
8 Wizards
2 Healers
Rest Archers

For CW, if I'm desperate to generate stars, I might go with something like:

14 Hogs
6 Giants
8 Wallbreakers
8 Wizards
Rest Archers

I will sometimes go cheap on raids with a mix of Barbarians, Archers, maybe 6 Wizards, 8 Wallbreakers, and a smattering of Goblins.

I've been hesitant to routinely use Minions or Hogs, as I really need to DE to upgrade my Barbarian King.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #211 on: February 10, 2015, 01:10:12 PM

Minions are a pretty good value IMO (costs a little under 1000 DE to make a bunch of them, so I limit my targets to ones where I think I can loot at least that much), but my theory is if you're going air you need to go all air.  That way a bunch of their defensive buildings are completely inactive rather than having everything firing at you at once.  If you throw a few air units into a ground army, they just get picked off by the AA towers.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #212 on: February 11, 2015, 02:00:09 PM

Just in case people doubt the efficacy of the exposed TH strategy (and in case Iain needs convincing that I'm not making up the shield mechanics), here's a representative section of my defense log:

Note the low destruction % (because they only get the TH and a few defending buildings), the low amount of loot taken, and the length of time between attacks (because each one activates my shield, which stays up until my next attack).  It's a very effective strategy and I can't recommend it highly enough to people who are having trouble keeping their loot safe.

Note also the relatively cheap troops used in the attacks -- these are not armies that would be capable of taking my resources if they wanted to.  Part of this is having a (relatively) low trophy count, and part of it is that even at high trophy counts there are a lot of people trawling for cheap wins with cheap armies, and the exposed TH greatly increases the odds you get attacked by one of those rather than someone with a dozen dragons looking to flatten someone.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:02:04 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #213 on: February 11, 2015, 02:30:15 PM

No, I realised I'd got the shield thing backwards when you posted before. It's been a while since I last played, I don't think I've seen any of the last few updates.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: February 12, 2015, 01:39:03 AM

I broke down and started up a game of this just to have something to play on my tablet. The timing mechanics are making my OCD tendencies a bit crazy, I can only make two things simultaneously and it means I hate the idea of downtime. I have been sorely tempted to set a 3am alarm just to make sure I can get that Level 7 gold mine started a few hours earlier...

Haven't restored the Clan Castle yet, is there much point making that a priority or should I try to get level 4 Town Hall upgrades finished up a bit more?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: February 12, 2015, 02:14:46 AM

If you build the castle you can join bat country and people can give you troops to help out.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: February 12, 2015, 08:01:19 AM

I'll get started and bolster Bat Country. I too often play these things without an Alliance.

Edit: Wow. Activision really did make this game with a Call of Duty skin. however they did add Predator missiles and Chopper Gunner... but turned Captain Price into an abomination of himself.

The game doesn't consume too much bandwidth on my phone so I ought to be an active member.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:21:01 AM by Maven »
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: February 12, 2015, 02:38:01 PM

Hah, they got Liam Neeson for their commercial. I wonder how much he got paid.

Mobile game companies have been doing a lot of commercial video marketing. I guess that means they are turning a good profit?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: February 12, 2015, 03:30:19 PM

Supercell reported $890M revenue in 2013. So it is just possible, yes.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: February 12, 2015, 11:22:41 PM

Thanks lots for the archers. Attacking someone else and getting wtfpwned by their clan supplied level 5 archers persuaded me of the value of it. Might need to look at base layout soonish, got a very simple one with mortar in the middle, resource storage around that, pockets for my towers on the corners and the town hall also pocketed but it leaves a 1 tile gap in my wall (with traps). I'm guessing it's made me more trouble than it's worth to attack since I haven't had any since I started despite having several thousand in resources lying around waiting for builders.

Any general tips on how fast to tech up? Should I try to level all my tech and buildings to max before upgrading the town hall? Or are there some I can ignore a bit?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: February 13, 2015, 12:55:05 AM

Im running two accounts, and I had a better go of it by leveling the th to 5 and then maxing everything before upgrading the th again. Leave your hall outside your walls, keep the clan castle central. Always upgrade your clan castle first. It is your best defense. Otherwise, walls are the most important in general defense, air for clan wars since people seem to think dragons are the poo.  You will occasionally get steam rolled. It happens. If it starts happening too often, drop trophies asap. When attacking, try and draw castle troops first before you plop your whole army down. Castle troops will fuck you up. Learn to recognize a loss and dont be afraid to hit end battle before killing all your troops. It's a fun game. Enjoy!

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #221 on: February 13, 2015, 02:11:12 AM

At lower levels where upgrades are still fairly cheap, the best defence is being poor. Keep your resources low and just build up through battle and/or shields when you need to pay for something more expensive like a TH upgrade.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: February 13, 2015, 02:50:28 AM

Burned 10k a little early but request sent to BC.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:52:26 AM by Maven »
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: February 14, 2015, 08:09:56 PM

Maven as a tip one you've got to town hall 4 or so raiding becomes a much, much faster way of getting resources. With a couple of lucky matches I made 70k over about an hour and a half this morning. You can also have troops queued that start producing as soon as you deploy any. Is also cool because those ridiculously high level players that have dropped loads of trophies sometimes have their producers outside defence range and you can talk up 5 or 10k with a few archers.

Now if only I had more than 2 builders, first time I think I've been getting resources faster than I can talk think about spending them.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: February 15, 2015, 07:19:13 AM

You only need to complete a couple of quests/achievements to get enough gems for a third builders hut I think. It's doable by the time you hit TH5 or 6 pretty easily I think.

You get 450 gems for getting to 1,250 trophies, which is Silver II I think. I did this around TH5, just ground out trophies for a little bit at the expense of resources, then de-trophied once I got the achievement. I've had three builders since, and that's generally been enough to see me through TH9.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: February 15, 2015, 08:39:36 AM

I am on track for third builder and just hit TH4. I will be raiding, I imagine there are fat unprotected casuals ripe for plundering. Build speed is my current bottleneck.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #226 on: February 15, 2015, 09:50:16 AM

I have five builders and nothing left for them to upgrade but walls (which are instant) and heroes (which there are only two of, and it takes at least a couple of weeks to save up the DE to upgrade one at this point).  I'm kinda looking forward to them inevitably adding another TH level.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: February 15, 2015, 09:55:26 AM

I'm having trouble accumulating resources now at TH8. Seems like a lot of work just to try and get the 1M+ coin/elixir needed to upgrade anything while also making sure you hold onto the loot in between fights while rebuilding lost forces.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Strazos

Reply #228 on: February 15, 2015, 08:59:37 PM

I'm kind of in the same boat. You might try tanking either gold or elixer, so that you're not a super-juicy target. Also, get that TH outside of the walls - some will burn tons of troops to burn the TH down, then stop the attack and give you a simple shield.

Winning Clan Wars makes building up resources a lot easier.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #229 on: February 22, 2015, 10:24:58 PM

Having finished all my level 9 walls, the cheapest thing I can build now is... level 10 walls, at 3M gold/elixir a pop (250 sections, which means it'll take me a long while to do all of them).  Curious to see if this means I start actually getting hit for resources again, since now I can't spend down until I'm at 3M, which is more than a third of my storage.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: February 23, 2015, 03:25:16 AM

Holy hell inflation with level is insane in this game. 1/3 of your storage for 1 wall section? I was super happy about getting my walls all maxed at TH5 in a couple of days. That would require some severe catassing resource purchasing. Also this seems to be the point where progress starts to slow down as upgrades are starting to move into 1 day territory. I know, I know, 1 day will seem super quick later.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #231 on: February 23, 2015, 08:24:15 AM

I still have yet to ever buy gems for this game, or do silly shit like using a drinky bird to keep the screen active.  I'm just patient.   awesome, for real

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: February 24, 2015, 09:24:17 AM

Clan levels and the ability for individuals to opt in and out of wars in the new patch.

Oh, also even bigger cannons.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #233 on: February 26, 2015, 09:16:52 AM

Yay new cannons.  I've been waiting for them to add a level to match the latest archer tower boost.  Gives me something non-stupid to spend my gold on.

So on the clan war thing, I mentioned this in the game chat, but here's the system I think is easiest, given that I can't force the "opt out" flag on people who I know aren't gonna make their war attacks:

1) If you don't have a league, I'll skip you for the war.
2) If you "opt out" of war, I'll skip you for the war.

Everyone else will be in.  

So if you DO have a league but DON'T wanna be in the war (i.e. you know you're not going to be able to make two attacks on war day), please go to your profile and hit "opt out" so there'll be a little orange thing by your name when I'm picking and I'll know you don't want in.  You only have to do this once, and you can change your mind any time.

If you DON'T have a league for some reason but DO want in the war, just make an attack, that puts you in a league and makes it easy to see you're active.  Otherwise I assume the lack of league means you're playing very very infrequently and/or never make attacks, which means you probably don't wanna be in the war, and you just haven't bothered to "opt out" yet.

Once I have the "in" list, it'll be rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5 (because that's how wars work) based on trophy count.

Cool?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:59:24 PM by Samwise »

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: February 26, 2015, 10:11:19 AM

What level do Balloons and Minions need to be at to be effective? Is 5/5 good enough. Going to pick up Lava Hounds too when I get enough elixir for the Barracks upgrade.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #235 on: February 26, 2015, 10:39:00 AM

Depends.  Effective vs what?   why so serious?

Bigger is always better, but you gotta start somewhere.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #236 on: February 26, 2015, 10:43:30 AM

Sent a clan request.  Still no idea what I'm doing in this game other than building shit.

-Rasix
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: February 26, 2015, 12:24:07 PM

I've been using 10 Giants / 60 Goblins to farm. I find a juicy target (100k+ resource), distract turrets, and feed. It has been working so far.
Strazos

Reply #238 on: February 26, 2015, 05:40:38 PM

What level do Balloons and Minions need to be at to be effective? Is 5/5 good enough. Going to pick up Lava Hounds too when I get enough elixir for the Barracks upgrade.

You could probably get by with tier 3 minions I think? Also depends on your potions.

Fear the Backstab!
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: February 26, 2015, 11:39:21 PM

I'm opting out of the wars for the moment, spending too much time upgrading defences (are they still out of commission for Clan War attacks like regular raids? Haven't checked) Also going to be out of town for a week or so and not sure if I'll have any connection.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #240 on: February 27, 2015, 01:03:39 AM

All buildings and heroes are active in war defense, even if they're upgrading/sleeping/unloaded in your main village.

So far I gotta say I'm loving the new war roster mechanics.  We won that last one by what, 2 to 1?  Looking forward to more loots.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #241 on: February 27, 2015, 10:59:58 AM

Let me know how I can help.   awesome, for real  I realize that I'm a year or so behind the rest of you. 

-Rasix
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: February 27, 2015, 11:04:10 AM

Let me know how I can help.   awesome, for real  I realize that I'm a year or so behind the rest of you. 

I have only been going for a couple weeks but the Clan War matchmaking accounts for that. You'll be in it sooner than you think, though Sam are you doing ten-mans from now on?
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: February 27, 2015, 11:51:16 AM

Depends.  Effective vs what?   why so serious?

Bigger is always better, but you gotta start somewhere.

Mostly TH8/TH9 bases in Crystal 2-3. Might just try it; I see all the top players are doing it, and I'm assuming it's because Lava Hounds are OP?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #244 on: February 27, 2015, 01:04:20 PM

I've been doing all air (minion/balloon mostly) since long before lava hounds.

For now we're doing 10 man wars because we don't have 15 actives.  Needs to be a multiple of 5.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans  
Jump to: