Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:42:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clash of Clans  (Read 169807 times)
Aiwass
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: August 04, 2014, 11:55:28 AM

200-400k every cherry picked fight, bonus good.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #176 on: September 16, 2014, 02:38:18 PM

New update brings some nice changes:

1) Just when Samwise thought there were no more goop upgrades  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
2) Can cancel spells with no penalty
3) Can use gold or goop for wall upgrades

#3 is huge for me...it means you can dump extra gold and goop into the walls to prevent it from being stolen overnight while you sleep. :)

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #177 on: September 16, 2014, 02:52:43 PM

1) Just when Samwise thought there were no more goop upgrades  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

It never fucking fails.   awesome, for real  I'm all set to start the last PEKKA upgrade today and after that I was going to be done with goop.  I really like that I can dump it into walls now, though.  Previously I've just dumped it into dragons, which are mostly a waste.

You missed the new troop type -- flying, heavy, targets anti-air, splits into smaller things when killed.  Since anti-air is the main counter to healers and dragons I'm thinking it's a way to make those troops more viable.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #178 on: September 17, 2014, 10:37:19 AM

That unit only does 10 damage:  I get the impression it's sole purpose is to tank for ballons and dragons?

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #179 on: September 17, 2014, 11:17:33 AM

Wow, yeah.  Although when it explodes into smaller things the smaller things do a lot more DPS and they'd probably be able to take the tower out on their own.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: September 18, 2014, 12:12:32 AM

Wonder what a couple hounds and swarm of minions looks like.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: October 31, 2014, 09:46:04 AM

Did they change healers? Mine have been locked on to my giants like leeches and completely ignoring anything else lately.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #182 on: October 31, 2014, 12:39:31 PM

I didn't see anything in the patch notes about healer AI changing.  My recollection is that they just target the nearest damaged thing, so if your giants are continually taking damage a healer is going to tend to stay with it and ignore things that are getting hurt further away.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: November 02, 2014, 02:28:00 AM

Created a splinter clan. Keeping it small and active. You don't have to be on every day kinda thing, and we're restricting nublets to not having stupid layouts. Anyone wants in, look up Cereal Killers. Blue flag, white diagonal stripe. See ya on the field people.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #184 on: November 07, 2014, 11:00:30 AM

I'm loving the new loot bonuses.  Even on a loss I make my money back on most war attacks now.

Finished the goop upgrades (again) so being able to dump spare goop into the walls is gonna be huge.

Also, if you've missed the couple of replays I've posted showing hounds, they're fun.  My favorite thing about them is that when they explode the pups are dispersed across a very broad area, meaning they'll trigger mines before your minions do, end up in random blind spots where they can plink away at buildings unopposed, etc.

schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: November 18, 2014, 04:59:53 PM

My understanding was they changed healers about 2-3 patches ago to follow clumps of units rather than single injured units.  thus giant clumps get healer support, which i think i prefer to them attempting to split heal everything.

*Should be working*
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #186 on: December 30, 2014, 07:39:11 PM

I've come perilously close to this a few times only to have them add more stuff at the last second, but I've actually finished all my big money upgrades now (just now started the new giant upgrade they added recently), and it only took me about two and a half years.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I'm protecting my town hall now and switching from resource stockpiling to trophy farming so I can get that achievement for hitting the top league. Apologies to those in the clan for sticking us with harder clan war targets.   why so serious?

(edit) Current state of the union -- same basic layout I posted about a year ago on page 1 of this thread:

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:04:47 PM by Samwise »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: January 13, 2015, 03:30:41 AM

I'm not sure what they use in war selection and ranking, but doesn't appear to be trophies. Possibly base value?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: January 13, 2015, 11:11:16 AM

The algorithm was described in an official forum post.

It is both intended and quite common that players with a higher TH are left out of a Clan War. The ranking is not based on TH level, it based on trophy count, and then the level of defenses. Check out the following explanation of how matchmaking should work:
  • The first x # of players go to matchmaking depending on their trophy amount and the position in the clan For example, in a 10v10 clan war, if one clan has 14 members, the 10 highest trophied members will be the ones to go to war.
  • Once a match is found, players are sorted on the map from strongest to weakest, in terms of defence power of their base, i.e., defense levels, hero levels, traps, etc.
  • We do not take TH levels into account. Instead, we only use overall strength of all defence elements in player’s village. For example, a TH8 with higher level defenses than a TH9 will be ranked higher than the TH9 in the war map.
  • XP has no bearing on the ranking of your war base on the war map

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: January 14, 2015, 07:13:25 PM

I've gotten burnt out on CoC in case you guys were wondering.  And so begins the long search for a replacement.  Have yet to find one.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #190 on: January 14, 2015, 07:16:34 PM

Seems like there's a million clones out there now so it shouldn't be hard, rite?   awesome, for real  Should I boot you from the clan or are you still dabbling?

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: January 14, 2015, 10:14:14 PM

Seems like there's a million clones out there now so it shouldn't be hard, rite?   awesome, for real  Should I boot you from the clan or are you still dabbling?

Nah, keep me in unless I'm a drag.  I figure my defense is enough to keep a few people occupied without getting completely pwned.  I'll try to pop in more.
As for clones, I've stayed away from them... looking in other genres.  There's a serious lack of quality and definitely not anything we haven't already tried.  I miss the good ol' days of The West, Die2Nite, and so forth.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #192 on: January 15, 2015, 10:26:56 AM

I'm still playing Minethings, aka EVE But More Boring. awesome, for real

Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #193 on: February 04, 2015, 01:33:42 PM

I know Samwise will hate me for posting this, but some "farm" calcs I made:

• For 6 level 12 collectors, we have 3500*6 = 21K per hour goop/gold, or 504K per day
  • A 250 gem, 1 week shield gives a total of 3.5M goop / gold, or 14K resources per gem
  • A 1-week shield, fully boosted, yields 7M goop/gold, or 7M gold for 10.8K resources per gem
  • Gem cost to instantly buy this comes out to 2K gems for 8M gold, or 4K resources per gem

These are per-resource - in reality, it is 28K per gem total resources (gold + goop), etc

So if you want to increase resources quickly without a lot of attacks, the 250 1-week gem done once per month is the most gem-efficient way of doing this.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #194 on: February 04, 2015, 05:46:51 PM

I don't hate you for it, it's just a waste since shedding trophies gets you the same immunity from attacks without costing any gems.   awesome, for real

As a side bonus it makes our clan war matchups easier.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: February 05, 2015, 09:28:42 AM

Clash of <X> seems prominent in my Mobile Apps store.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #196 on: February 05, 2015, 10:01:37 AM

I don't hate you for it, it's just a waste since shedding trophies gets you the same immunity from attacks without costing any gems.   awesome, for real

Shed down how far?

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #197 on: February 05, 2015, 10:09:47 AM

The matchmaking matches you within 220 trophies. So if you shed down far enough the only people who can attack you will (theoretically at least) be too weak to defeat your defences.

The best way to be immune is to do what the top clan did which is to set up an alt alliance and use that to keep hitting your real bases (using the revenge function). Do 40% damage to get a shield but without triggering any stars and without stealing any resources every time your main account shield drops.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #198 on: February 05, 2015, 11:00:39 AM

But how would that even work, since you cannot directly select your initial target? Do they just keep hitting "next" for hours until their primary base comes up?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #199 on: February 05, 2015, 11:38:03 AM

Shed down how far?

Until you stop losing resources in raids.  Put your town hall outside your defenses (which still cover your resources).  Attackers will go for the free town hall win (this will also trigger your shield), but if your trophy count is sufficiently low they'll be too weak to take any resources from you.  

Even if they're able to take your resources they might not bother if they already got a win off you with minimal investment, since they can take the rest of their army and go attack someone else instead.  The more trophies you lose the weaker the attackers will be and the less likely they'll be able to go for your resources even if they wanted to; you'll figure out pretty quickly when you've reached the appropriate equilibrium.

The downside to shedding trophies is that you'll earn less resources in the attacks you make -- but if you buy a one week shield you can't make attacks at all (since attacks would break the shield).  So there's no benefit in doing the shield thing vs the exposed town hall and lose trophies thing.  But do what makes you happy, I won't hate you for it.   awesome, for real

The alt alliance thing sounds like it would only work if you were making a HUGE number of random attacks looking for the right targets, but maybe it's easier when you're way up there in the trophy rankings since the pool is smaller.  Either way I don't think that's a realistic option for filthy casuals like us, and it feels like cheating anyway.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:42:05 AM by Samwise »

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #200 on: February 05, 2015, 12:33:05 PM

Attackers will go for the free town hall win (this will also trigger your shield)
Destroying the HQ will win a star but it won't automatically trigger the shield. Shields are based on percentage of the base destroyed and not on stars. There is a window where you can lose and not get a shield.

The alt alliance thing worked because they were the top players on the server and in a very small pool of trophy points. They would take it in turns to drop from the alliance and join the alt alliance and would then hit next opponent over and again until they got one of their friends. Because there were so few of them in the matchmaking pool, it didn't take all that long for this to happen. It's not a thing you can do if you're further down the ranking. I did chat with one of the top 10 players who said he had a Lego robot attached to a capacitative stylus that kept his iPad alive (he had one dedicated solely to running the CoC app 24/7) when he was asleep or away from his desk. Being constantly online makes you immune to attack also. You can decide how much you value your sanity.

I deconstructed the fuck out of CoC as research for my last project.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:35:57 PM by IainC »

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #201 on: February 05, 2015, 12:55:32 PM

Attackers will go for the free town hall win (this will also trigger your shield)
Destroying the HQ will win a star but it won't automatically trigger the shield. Shields are based on percentage of the base destroyed and not on stars. There is a window where you can lose and not get a shield.

You've got it backwards, I think.  The shield is triggered on any loss (even if it's only the TH) -- I have observed this many many many times.  I make an attack, my shield breaks, a few minutes later somebody attacks me for a 4% win, and I have a 12 hour shield.  The shield is ALSO triggered on a successful defense if the destruction is above 40%, so there's a window where you get a shield AND a win, not the other way around.  This is so that if somebody reams you for half your resources but doesn't quite tip it over into a win, you at least don't get double-whammied by somebody else immediately after.

This is also easy to observe from the attacker's side because it tells you when the defender's shield has been activated.  It's quite possible that the mechanics have changed since you did your research; all I know for sure is that's how it works now.  :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:02:04 PM by Samwise »

Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #202 on: February 05, 2015, 03:05:16 PM

This is so that if somebody reams you for half your resources but doesn't quite tip it over into a win, you at least don't get double-whammied by somebody else immediately after.

This actually has happened to me a few times:  I once was reamed for 200K resources with 35% damage, followed by another 200K resources with 37% damage, then a complete steamroll for 250K.  650K of each resource looted in the span of about 45 minutes.

I do actually have my TH mostly exposed: guarded by only a single Xbow.  I found if it was completely exposed, people would kill the TH, then use whatever troops they had left for opportunistic leeching from the resource collectors.  Moving it closer as to be covered by a single Xbow (and close enough so that any archer shooting at the TH gets hit) means most people burn through 100+ troops to kill the TH, then leave with their 1K loot.

I didn't realize about the 220 trophy count thing:  I'll try dropping down into the 700's and see if I have better luck.  I was always consistently staying around 1K trophies so that I would find targets with more loot, but it doesn't offset the losses.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #203 on: February 05, 2015, 03:25:49 PM

I do actually have my TH mostly exposed: guarded by only a single Xbow.  I found if it was completely exposed, people would kill the TH, then use whatever troops they had left for opportunistic leeching from the resource collectors.  Moving it closer as to be covered by a single Xbow (and close enough so that any archer shooting at the TH gets hit) means most people burn through 100+ troops to kill the TH, then leave with their 1K loot.

Yeah, I do something similar using teslas and traps, although it's more to prevent base streamrolling -- sniping resource collectors isn't an issue since there's not usually very much in them (average time between when I make an attack and collect all my resources to when I get raided is about 15 minutes).  The one downside of not having the TH be completely undefended is that weaker attackers (who pose no threat of rolling you over) may pass you up, increasing the chances that a stronger attacker will be the one to hit you.

Dropping trophies should help in either case.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: February 06, 2015, 01:19:16 PM

Yikes, can someone give me the 60 second pitch on this game? Time investment? Comparisons to others (Travian)? Necessity of clans? Etc. I see this is highly rated though it lacks the supermodel Athena (sarcasm).
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #205 on: February 06, 2015, 03:28:31 PM

Yikes, can someone give me the 60 second pitch on this game?

You could look at the first post in the thread from two and a half years ago.   awesome, for real

Clash of Clans

iOS PvP tower defense/attack game.  You build a village, try to optimize its defensive layout, build troops, and then attack other villages to try to steal their shit.

I was worried it'd be a hardcore game where you lose months of work when you fuck up, but attacks never actually damage your town, just your troops and resources, which are easy to regain.  And the game doesn't let you target specific players, nor does it let anyone get plundered multiple times a day.

Troops can't be controlled directly; you pick where to deploy them and then they do their thing.  A big part of the game is therefore trying to manipulate the troop AI -- build defensive patterns that will funnel them to their deaths, etc.

To answer your specific points: time investment is short bursts of maybe three minutes at a time (takes about that long to make an attack, then there's enforced downtime while you wait for your barracks to build troops for another attack.  Unlike Travian, you don't suffer permanent damage to your village if you go inactive for a while and someone raids you a lot; you also can't be targeted by a clan and griefed repeatedly because matchmaking is randomized.  Being in a clan gives you some minor cooperative benefits (you have a spot for extra troops that can only be filled by donations from clanmates, and you can do "clan wars" which give you extra loot), but it's completely viable to play solo and ignore all that stuff.  Being in a clan does not make you more or less vulnerable to attack.

Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #206 on: February 06, 2015, 04:35:01 PM

One feature that I'm really wishing for:  a saved "army" configuration.

I typically train the following troop load (220 housing):

1) 8 wallbreakers (2 per training center)
2) 8 giants (2 per training center)
3) 44 barbs (11 per training center)
4) 120 archers (30 per training center)

Having to type those in every time is a real PITA.  I wish there was a screen with up to 4 "army compositions/loadouts", and I hit a single button and it trains all 220 worth at once.

For wars, I have been trying:

1) 12 baloons (3 per)
2) 4 dragons (1 per)
3) 40 minions (20 per)

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #207 on: February 06, 2015, 06:05:14 PM

Yeah, I'd love for it to be easier to queue troops up.  I tend to use army loadouts where each barracks is producing one type of troop and the ratios are a function of training time -- in other words things where I just max out each barracks's queue with one kind of guy.  Currently I do 1 lava hound, 55 minions, and 20 balloons.  (Only annoying thing about that loadout is that 1 dark barracks will only queue 45 minions, so if I don't remember to come in and top up the queue before it finishes, it throws things off -- not a big deal, it just takes a little longer and I end up with a few more balloons.)

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #208 on: February 06, 2015, 07:30:56 PM

Note that you can add and train an additional unit beyond what your barracks will hold. I would queue up my normal stuff (IIRC, Dragons, healers, bombers and then a mix of barbarians and archers) so that each queue was about the same length then add another dragon to the end once there was room. That way the dragon would be ready as soon as I had barracks space saving me the training time after a battle. It also placed the elixir needed to train those units out of stealing range.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #209 on: February 06, 2015, 07:46:41 PM

Yeah, with my army setup it should in theory take 45 minutes because of the lava hound but in practice it takes about half an hour to field a new army because I'll usually have a huge head start from having one already in the pipe.  That's one of the main reasons I keep it simple and just dedicate each barracks to one troop type, it's easier to keep the pipeline full.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans  
Jump to: