Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:48:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clash of Clans  (Read 169723 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #105 on: May 01, 2014, 09:47:25 PM

Oh yeah, I was gonna post a thing here about the benefit of archers on D over wizards (apart from the obvious cost savings):

When troops fight each other, they do so in the most stupid manner possible: the entire group focus fires one opposing unit (the one that's closest), they all kill it twenty times over, then fire another volley.  This is the big strength of wizards and dragons (and valks) on D: the AoE compensates for the shitty AI.

However!  If the things you're fighting do NOT have AoE, then the length of time your defenders are able to distract them is a function of the number of units.  If you have five wizards, it will take five focused volleys to take them all out (unless the wizards take them out first with their AoE).  If you have twenty archers, it will take TWENTY focused volleys to take them all out.  During which time your buildings get to inflict their DPS freely.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: May 02, 2014, 08:14:26 AM

Any idea if the order the troops are donated has anything to do with the order they come out?  Seems like half archers and half wizards would be the way to go (except for dragons of course) and would work best if the archers came out first.

Why don't you try our other games?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #107 on: May 02, 2014, 11:16:58 AM

I dunno on the order thing... wouldn't surprise me, since they always come out in batches of the same type but the types don't appear to be sorted.  Order donated would make as much sense as anything.

The archers coming out first doesn't guarantee they'll be tanking -- in fact I think the wizards will end up tanking because their range is slightly shorter IIRC (target acquisition is usually a function of distance).  Wizards and barbarians, or maybe even wizards and goblins (faster) might be a better bet.  (Note that I'm suggesting barbs and goblins rather than giants on the aforementioned theory that a greater number of targets is better for tanking than a greater number of hp.)

Archers are generally considered one of the better all-around defenders due to the all-in-one combination of being able to fit lots of them into your castle (hence maximizing targets and delaying the attackers), being really cheap/fast to produce, and having good range (so they can attack air targets, and attack melee targets from behind walls).  Wizards and dragons don't have the cheap thing going for them, but the AoE makes them really good at actually dealing out damage if you don't want to rely on your buildings to do the heavy lifting.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:19:53 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: May 02, 2014, 12:08:17 PM

Is there a point to leveling barracks to PEKKA?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #109 on: May 02, 2014, 01:35:46 PM

Is there a point to leveling barracks to PEKKA?

Increased capacity (training queue).  I don't use PEKKAs but all my barracks are maxed.  I'd prioritize the camps first for sure though.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: May 02, 2014, 01:41:30 PM

So in other words, I have to wait a few minutes longer. Whoopty doo.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #111 on: May 02, 2014, 01:43:23 PM

Queue length doesn't matter if you have the game in front of you constantly, but if you play in quick bursts (like I do) you very very much want to be able to load up your camps in one shot.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: May 03, 2014, 03:04:56 PM

I just got pig dudes, they're pretty awesome

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #113 on: May 03, 2014, 04:07:30 PM

They're easily the most powerful unit in the game pound for pound, but fuck are they expensive.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #114 on: May 03, 2014, 05:30:00 PM

I cannot wait to have pig dudes some day... why so serious?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #115 on: May 08, 2014, 02:10:04 PM

So, important strategy tip for those of you who like to use giants a lot: units that have favorite targets (e.g. giants' favorite target is defense buildings) will not attack anything else if their favorite target is anywhere on the map.  That means that if you drop nothing but giants, they will completely ignore any defending units wailing on them.

Which is why I just watched an attack by Ghambit get hilariously thwarted by a single hog rider -- it ran around beating all his giants to death while they ignored it, while the archers that would have shot the hog rider dead in a single volley plinked away at something on the other corner of the map.    why so serious?

To dispatch hostile enemy units you have two good options:

1) Before dropping any other units, bait the clan castle until it's empty (i.e. drop a single cheap unit as near to the castle as possible, then when it dies drop another, etc until new guys stop coming out), then drop lightning on the defenders while they're standing in a clump waiting for new targets.  This works really well against small units like archers, but it's only an option if the clan castle is close enough to the droppable area to be easily baitable -- if you have to fight through defenses to get to the castle's trigger radius it won't work.  It's not worth using lightning on dragons and giants; their HP is too high for the AoE to be effective.  It's also very hard to use lightning on moving targets, which is why you need to do the careful baiting thing to get them all in a single clump.

2) Use your attacking units intelligently.  To fight other units you need something that doesn't target preferentially (i.e. not giants, goblins, balloons, wallbreakers, etc).  Also keep in mind that your units are vulnerable to defending buildings (especially AoE which will mess you up while you stand there picking the defenders off one by one), so it's better if you can bait the defenders away from their buildings.  Spread your guys out; ranged attackers like archers and wizards are great for this because you can deploy them in a nice little arc around the target(s).  This both minimizes the impact of AoE from the defenders (if you drop a big clump of archers or minions to fight a dragon you're gonna have a bad time) and helps your guys spread their targeting out (minimizing the "everyone focus on one guy, repeat twenty times" effect).  Replenish empty spots in your arc as your guys die rather than spamming all your guys and hoping for the best; a big clump of dudes is one good AoE hit away from dying, and you still have the whole rest of the attack to get through.

Help any?   awesome, for real

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: May 08, 2014, 02:36:06 PM

Got fucked by a dragon last round because he was higher level and I didn't pack enough dudes to take him down. Bummer lots.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: May 08, 2014, 02:43:30 PM

I pre-scouted their other defense strategies and never saw a hog rider... so sadly assumed I wouldnt get one.  Then yah, I never even saw the hog rider until it was too late - he came out last flanked with high lvl wiz and survived my lvl 3 lightning attk regardless.  When I reacted, the archers I had didn't even really target him much (as usual), but by then the jig was up anyways.

The last map it was maxed dragons as Walrus said, so not even possible to win regardless for th6 people.

I'm getting better... but damn this is a subtle game.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #118 on: May 08, 2014, 02:44:42 PM

Dragons definitely need a ring of minions/archers/wizards to take them down.  I usually bait them out to get them as far from defending buildings as possible, then make a ring of minions around them that's spaced out enough so that each blast only hits one minion, replacing minions as they get dropped.  It's a little slow, hence pulling the fight away from the buildings so the buildings don't kill all my minions while they're plinking away at the dragon.

Heal spells can also work as long as your dudes are strong enough to not get dropped in one hit.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:54:25 PM by Samwise »

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: May 08, 2014, 02:45:26 PM

Yah, you attk with 200 guys.  I have 140.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #120 on: May 08, 2014, 02:55:09 PM

Yah, you attk with 200 guys.  I have 140.   Ohhhhh, I see.

If it took 140 units to take out the clan castle defenders, I'd be losing all my battles regardless.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

To make sure your guys target enemy units, drop them close by.  Your guys will actually target units preferentially (as long as they don't have another favorite target, as discussed), but they won't hike across the map to do it.  I'm not sure exactly what the rules are, but your guys will retarget if they take damage from an enemy unit (man do I wish that worked with buildings), and if the enemy unit is closer than any enemy buildings that'll definitely work too.  Again, baiting the defenders away BEFORE you start attacking in earnest helps.  Once you drop your guys you have no control over them.

When using giants it's good anyway to drop your DPSing units nearby -- the giants do absolutely crapall for DPS, their role is to tank while something else does the damage.  If your DPSing units are on the other side of the map they're not benefiting from the giants as tanks and the giants will get picked off one by one before they do significant damage on their own.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #121 on: May 08, 2014, 02:59:15 PM

Seriously, this most important takeaway is that if at all possible, you want to empty their clan castle before you've committed any significant troops to the fight.  The clan castle defenders are the biggest wildcard and fuck up more attacks than anything (except maybe traps, which are a whole other topic in baiting and probing).  It's worth dropping a few barbarians or archers or goblins or minions or whatever to make sure the castle is empty.  When I'm running a high-value army (like hog riders or witches or whatever) I always throw in a few goblins to use as castle/trap bait before I drop anything expensive.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: May 13, 2014, 06:28:13 AM

It's kind of amazing the number of people I run across who play this. Two of the last family gatherings have ended up in long Clash talks.

Anyway, this was a question and I don't know if everyone knows, but as long as you get one star and we win, you get the bonus. Even if someone comes by later and gets more stars on that same village.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: May 13, 2014, 06:56:59 AM

Despite it's popularity, a lot of people in the droid world still dont know it's out there.  This is why I headslap every time a mobile dev releases a one-trick-pony app; they're throwing away veritable millions.  Now you see CoC advertisements during the NBA playoffs because, like I said, no one knows about it.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #124 on: May 13, 2014, 09:05:25 AM

I've had two Clash of Clans-related conversations with complete strangers in recent months.  One was with an app designer who's working on a competitor and wanted to know what made Clash good (I gave him an earful since it's something I'd already put a lot of thought into), and one was with some homies who were busy comparing arrest records until they found out I played, at which point they all wanted strategy tips from me.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: May 13, 2014, 09:36:52 AM

I've played some decent competitors to CoC but then you run into the issue of viable clan play and time investment.  It's gonna be a while b4 the CoC shimmer wears off; it's only been what?  5 months since it's been on droid?  I have yet to find a clone that looks as nice though, but definitely clones with more depth of gameplay.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: May 13, 2014, 04:10:32 PM

Far as clan wars are going, I'm thinkin it's pretty great. We're going to lose one now and again due to a few peeps that quit playing, but so what. The loots are a nice bonus, and we pretty much hold our own against an even, or even slightly better equipped clan.

I got no bitch.

Strazos

Reply #127 on: May 13, 2014, 06:43:03 PM

Hell, I've even had conversations about CoC with a coworker of mine, who pokes at her spouse because he's constantly checking on the game at home.

Considering where I work, that should tell you...something. I'm not sure what, exactly.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: May 13, 2014, 09:24:46 PM

I'm one of the folks not playing at the moment. Let us know if dropping from the clan would be beneficial (or boot, no hard feelings!).

- Viin
Strazos

Reply #129 on: May 14, 2014, 03:30:52 PM

Or secret option C - Start Playing Again!

Fear the Backstab!
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: May 16, 2014, 08:49:25 AM

Really like the new update with the set war base. I wonder how that will work as you add things when you level up. I could probably google it, but then I'd miss the entertainment of wondering.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #131 on: May 16, 2014, 10:16:39 AM

I was wondering that too, although it's a moot point for me until they add a new town hall level.  I was imagining that they'd just go into the "inventory" for the war base until you went into edit mode and placed them.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: May 16, 2014, 11:46:13 AM

It appears that it automagically places it. At least, that was my experience. For someone who has a radically different setup between War and Regular, I don't know how it would work.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #133 on: May 16, 2014, 12:03:21 PM

Now that we can edit our war bases, here's what I think is an important tactical observation: you don't lose loot in war, so there is no reason to protect your resource buildings in your war base.  Therefore you should push all your gold stores and goop vats to the outside and push your defensive buildings inside (opposite of what makes sense for your normal village where the point of the defensive buildings is to protect the loot).  The longer it takes the attackers to get to your defenses the more of them the defenses can kill.

Also, putting your clan castle at the center of the base makes it more difficult to trigger, which is GOOD because it stops the attacker from pulling the clan castle early on like all smart attackers try to do.   why so serious?  I don't bother hiding my clan castle in my normal village because it's usually empty anyway (I save the prime real estate for my loot), but in my war base the clan castle is right next to the TH because in a war I know it's always going to be full of defenders and I want them to wait to come out until it's the perfect moment to ruin the attacker's shit (i.e. while they're already getting nuked by my wizard towers).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:06:02 PM by Samwise »

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: May 16, 2014, 01:43:33 PM

Agreed. Also, new buildings get sidelined until added to War base. Oh well. Make sure to check back is all.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: May 17, 2014, 03:38:30 PM

Couple of notes from things I've learned by getting my ass kicked.

1. Always attempt to pull clan castle first. Always.
2. Deploy the proper units to take down castle pull. Giants will not help you here.
3. If using giants, make them tank, and throw down some archers or barbs as backup. If you wait too long to do this, your giants will get slaughtered and you will not have taken down any structures to stop the defensive units from killing off your smaller support.
4. Wallbreakers are straight tarded. Pack more than you need.
5. Poke with a couple units first. Don't drop all you got in one shot. Giant bombs, or a couple of spring traps placed right will fuck your day if you like to hold your finger in one spot. Conversely, if you find a good spot to drop units that seems trap free, and are punching through their base, continuing to drop there is not a bad idea.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: May 18, 2014, 10:47:32 PM

Need to start experimenting on my own time and not during the wars. Fucked up this round badly trying different things. I fear the nazis will win.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #137 on: May 18, 2014, 11:42:30 PM

1. Always attempt to pull clan castle first. Always.
2. Deploy the proper units to take down castle pull. Giants will not help you here.
3. If using giants, make them tank, and throw down some archers or barbs as backup. If you wait too long to do this, your giants will get slaughtered and you will not have taken down any structures to stop the defensive units from killing off your smaller support.

It's like there's an echo in here.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Strazos

Reply #138 on: May 19, 2014, 11:35:59 AM

Hog riders are so tempting to use, but they sure are expensive at th7.

Fear the Backstab!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #139 on: May 19, 2014, 01:46:47 PM

They're easily the most powerful unit in the game pound for pound, but fuck are they expensive.

Hog riders are so tempting to use, but they sure are expensive at th7.

It's like there's an echo in here.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

They never get any less expensive.  I almost never use them.  With all the upgrades I think it costs me about 3k dark elixir to field a hog-heavy army; it's almost impossible to recoup that in an attack.  I prefer to save up the dark stuff for my heroes.

My standard army is 80 minions and 16 balloons, which comes in at about 900 dark and 60k pink -- not hard to make back (and then some).  Also has the advantage of taking under half an hour to train, which means I can make an attack every half hour if I'm in a situation to be fiddling with my phone that often.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans  
Jump to: