Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clash of Clans  (Read 169689 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: April 11, 2014, 11:10:00 AM

Later on in the battle if most have attacked and there are lowbies still attackable (with stars left) it might be wise to attack them instead of the 'recommended' target.  But only if most of our own lowbies have already had their 2 attks.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: April 13, 2014, 05:22:39 AM

9 drags and 1 healer should be unstoppable.

Healers don't heal flying units.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: April 13, 2014, 06:27:54 AM

9 drags and 1 healer should be unstoppable.

Healers don't heal flying units.

Yea I found that out...

Why don't you try our other games?
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: April 13, 2014, 11:02:58 AM

My phone dinged with a polite, "You may get your war on now" and they already have 5 attacks going on.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: April 13, 2014, 02:01:23 PM

Good. If they burn all their shit and fuck up some, we can hit all the light targets and coast to victory.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #75 on: April 14, 2014, 11:14:42 AM

FYI, although I don't expect us to win any wars, I'll just keep starting them since it costs nothing and we do get a small loot bonus at the end (even if we lose) and points toward achievements.

Just don't get all wound up and sink a lot of expensive troops into it expecting a return on investment.  If there are 10+ folks who want to get serious about clan wars I'd suggest splitting off and forming an "daily actives only" clan since that's what you need at a minimum to compete in these things.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #76 on: April 14, 2014, 06:48:56 PM

Yeah, it keeps pulling me in to wars, but given my schedule is, "Update my village in the morning before work, maybe a fight in the evening" that's about the extent of my partaking.

Given that you can't do shit as a TH6, that's ok with me.  I'm at least 3 weeks away from upgrading to the point I can produce low level dragons, nevermind the dark elixir shit.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: April 14, 2014, 08:29:43 PM

If it's any consolation, low level dragons kick a lot of ass.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #78 on: April 15, 2014, 03:04:27 AM

Yes but there's people whining about participation NOW. why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #79 on: April 15, 2014, 11:02:18 AM

TBH when people whine I'm strongly tempted to boot them so they can start their own super-serious whiner clan.   why so serious?  I think people have mostly gotten the message that we're not in it to win it, though.

I plan to spend this war seeing how little money I can spend on an attack and still get three stars.  First come, first served on the lowbies.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: April 15, 2014, 03:37:04 PM

Yes but there's people whining about participation NOW. why so serious?

I think those of us that were talking about participation were speaking of the people we don't know that we never hear from and never see troop donations or requests from. I'm pretty sure nobody gives a toss about you having a casual schedule Merusk.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: April 15, 2014, 07:37:48 PM

Course I cant do fuckall against anything right now, so I dont know what my participation is doing. Im losing to guys that I should be wrecking so I obviously need to go watch hours of youtube video.

Protip: Angels cant help pussy archers. At all.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: April 15, 2014, 08:02:55 PM

Pussy Archer... hmmm

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #83 on: April 15, 2014, 09:06:13 PM

Getting wrecked by maxed clan wizards, when attacking targets I should rightfully roll...is somewhat annoying.

And I second Walrus' comment.

And on Dragons? Hell, my trophies are so out of whack, the only decent targets (resource-wise) I get are TH8 and above, and far more upgraded than me. I'm way further from Dragons than I would like, not least because my attacks (2 healers, 5 wallbreakers, 12+ giants, and assorted archers and barbs) just seem to cost me too much - not sure how I could do things more cheaply against the stout defenses I am usually faced with.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: April 15, 2014, 10:13:09 PM

You've gotta give it to them though; they had a strat that worked.  Have their best guy distro all the top wiz's to everyone in the war.  /shrug  It was our strat too, to a point.  Just never executed.  We're not that serious anyways...  we tend to give eachother wallbreakers for defense.   awesome, for real

I'm not gonna ask our best people to give every last person max-wizards anyways.  Too 'spensive.  The bonus is likely not even enough to cover the costs.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #85 on: April 16, 2014, 12:06:55 AM

The bonus is likely not even enough to cover the costs.

Ding ding ding!

I lost more loot on trying to win our first war than I would have gotten if we'd won.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: April 16, 2014, 11:13:01 AM

Ding ding ding!

I lost more loot on trying to win our first war than I would have gotten if we'd won.

Yea me too.  Maybe we can pick one war sometime to try to win but I'm ok with just rolling the low scrubs every time and taking the scratch loot from that.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: April 16, 2014, 01:21:41 PM

Likely true, but there are two bonus pools. There's the per attack win bonus - akin to the league bonus - and then the final war bonus. The win bonus seems scaled to your target. One of my was 115k of both and the other was 125k. The 125k guy I came close to break even on elixir. I got 30k from him, plus the 125k bonus. My attack cost me ~161k elixir. On the up side, I got 160k gold. I'm actually rolling in gold. Wars are gold farms if you can at least eek out a "win" per attack for the bonus plus whatever you can fleece of the guy. Factor in the final "Sorry loser" pool and you probably just break even.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #88 on: April 16, 2014, 02:41:31 PM

Getting wrecked by maxed clan wizards, when attacking targets I should rightfully roll...is somewhat annoying.

Annoying indeed.  I attacked a guy with 15 level 4 giants, and there were 2 or 3 wizards that were out of LOS behind a goop collector.  I didn't realize it until all 15 giants were 3-shotted in a group.

I couldn't figure out what happened until I zoomed way in on the replay and I could just see a few pixels of their heads.  ACK!

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Strazos

Reply #89 on: April 16, 2014, 03:52:02 PM

I got hosed when I baited a clan hall, killed everything...and then more wizards popped out to kill my balloons.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: April 16, 2014, 08:27:09 PM

Lately I've been partial to nuking defensive noids (after pulling with a goblin) and most everything goes down; though I've not tried against max wiz.  I'm sure they'd get wiped out still though.  If the defensive units are weak I'll save the spell for the mortars or whatevs.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #91 on: April 17, 2014, 12:29:35 AM

Wizards take a couple of lightning bolts worth of damage.  Archers are a one-shot.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #92 on: April 25, 2014, 11:33:47 AM

Ghambit:

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: April 25, 2014, 11:53:42 AM

I know what it is, I just like rhetorical bitching.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #94 on: April 25, 2014, 11:55:38 AM

You realize that if you win all your matches, the matchmaking system isn't doing its job.   awesome, for real

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #95 on: April 25, 2014, 01:05:15 PM

If you do want to shed trophies to make loot-farming easier, though, there remain two simple ways (I've said this before, but now that you see the problem with having too many trophies you might be inclined to listen to my sage advice):

1) Expose the town hall to attack.  The primary point of this is actually not just losing trophies; the main benefit is that it helps keep your shield up at minimal cost (attackers do not NEED to stop the attack after dropping the TH, but most of them will, and either way your shield is activated).

2) Make dummy attacks.  Start attack, drop 1 barb, surrender.  Repeat.  You can lose any number of trophies this way if you need to.  Only costs a few hundred gold and goop.  If you really can't find an attack that feels like a "fair" fight because your trophy count has gotten too inflated, this is the quick fix.

Me personally, I just do #1 -- it's such a nice double whammy of keeping attack targets a little squishier and keeping my own loot safe I honestly don't know why everyone doesn't do it. 

Look at it this way -- matchmaking demands equilibrium in trophies in vs trophies out (any imbalance means your trophy count changes which means harder/easier opponents until equilibrium is reached).  Trophies are zero-sum in any given attack.  Now consider this: you do not automatically lose any loot for losing on defense (you only lose what the attacker is able to loot; this can be decoupled from whether you lose the "battle").  You do however automatically GAIN loot for winning on attack.  Therefore, given that you must over time lose and gain an equal number of trophies, it is generally to your benefit to lose on defense so that you can win on attack.

The free loot bonus on victory would be massively exploitable if not for the fact that matchmaking is random -- if you were allowed to pick opponents, you and a friend could each do the exposed TH trick and trade 1-barbarian attacks that awarded the full loot bonus each time.  The only reason I booby-trap my TH instead of being altruistic is that if an attacker doesn't incur any losses taking down the TH, he'll try to press his luck and go for the loot stores; the booby traps aren't so much to protect the TH (although it's hilarious when it works out that way) as to soften up the attacking army so it won't go any further.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #96 on: April 25, 2014, 02:02:21 PM

Re: boosting mines, my logic on that is that daily production on my mines is about equivalent to one good attack (it's something like 200k).  So if I boost all 12 mines for a day, it's about equivalent to just making one extra attack, and costs a shitton of gems.  Meh.

Also, remember that loot in your mines is highly vulnerable to attack, so you most likely don't even get to keep all of the bonus loot produced by your boosted mines, especially if you aren't online collecting the loot regularly.

The DE drills are more significant (I think I get more DE from my drills than I do from raiding, just because so few people have easily lootable DE vats), so I do boost the fuck out of my drills whenever the 1-gem deal comes up (it's not even remotely worth it at the usual 30 gems or whatever though).  I keep my drills inside my wall and away from my TH so they're less likely to get looted in an attack.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: April 25, 2014, 03:26:40 PM

My alternate method to shedding trophies is gather a goblin horde and keep throwing one at losses unless I see a fat loot guy that hasn't logged in to dump stores. Then I send in all goblins to gather loots, and still lose the round. Shed trophies + loot. Yes please.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: April 26, 2014, 01:49:58 PM

But.  I.  Just. Cannnn't.    swamp poop

Strazos

Reply #99 on: April 26, 2014, 02:57:10 PM

I know, doing that makes me feel dirty as well.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: April 27, 2014, 06:16:37 AM

6 l11 pumps at 3k an hour is 432k a day.. And you don't have to spend on troops to get it.  For me that's probably equivalent gain of about 4-5 good farming attacks.  Not that I boost my mines either but it's not insignificant.  why so serious?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #101 on: April 28, 2014, 10:48:11 AM

Oh that's right, the 200k is the amount the mines produce during the duration of a shield... that's the number that's relevant if you're trying to calculate how much keeping your shield up is worth.  :)

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: April 28, 2014, 11:36:40 AM

Upgrading my only source of angels was probably not the brightest idea I've ever had.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #103 on: April 28, 2014, 11:48:11 AM

Barracks upgrades are the fucking worst.  I actually think they should change it to let you keep using them during the upgrade (like with camps), because knocking out a quarter (or a third) of your production for multiple days at a time puts such a damper on being able to play the game.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: April 28, 2014, 11:51:25 AM

Upgrading my only source of angels was probably not the brightest idea I've ever had.

You don't have an option really. It happened to me last match and fucked my whole attack series. I don't think you'll be faulted for trying to upgrade. Agreed with sam, barracks upgrades suck ass.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans  
Jump to: