Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:16:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clash of Clans  (Read 169767 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: March 27, 2014, 05:20:06 PM

iOS only  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 12:02:22 PM

Been playing for a bit, still very active.  Requested to join, name of Hgmvhf.  Tried to join the clan thing but got declined.

I should comment here that if your game center name is wildly different from your f13 name, maybe include something in your join request like "this is grebo from f13" so we know you aren't a random leech.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: March 31, 2014, 03:52:30 PM

Yeah I consider people if they bother to change the standard greeting at least. As soon as my eye hits "I'd like to join" you're out.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 02:50:58 PM

Typing in short bursts in clan chat is annoying, so I thought I'd try to share some strategy tips here:

1) If you find that you're frequently getting matched against people who are much stronger than you, you probably have too many trophies, since matching is done solely on the basis of trophy count.  This of course will self-correct since each loss drops your trophy count, but you can also game it by intentionally throwing matches.

2) Saving up loot is a matter of pulling in more loot than you spend on an attack, and losing very little when you're attacked.  Gaming your trophy count is a component of this; I usually try to shed trophies when I'm sitting on a lot of loot.  Leaving your town hall exposed while protecting your loot is a good cheap trick for both keeping your trophies low and minimizing raiding losses -- many attackers will be satisfied with just destroying your town hall, which activates your shield (and loses you some trophies) but doesn't in itself cost you very much loot.

3) If you're trying to save up elixir, use troops that don't cost very much elixir (that usually means stay away from the big flashy guys), and make sure to attack only targets that you can pull more elixir from than you spend attacking them.  This is basic "conservation of stuff" logic.  You'll gradually develop a sense when looking at an enemy village what percentage of its loot you might be able to grab with your available troops.

4) Available loot is a certain percentage of what's in your loot-containing buildings (mostly your stores and mines), capped at a certain amount.  Increasing your town hall level lowers the percentage but increases the cap.  I dunno the exact numbers, they're probably on a forum somewhere.  The mines have a much higher percentage than the stores, but also typically hold much less (basically whatever amount they've produced since their owner last logged in).  If you're lucky enough to stumble across a village whose owner has been idle for a few days, the mines are very easy pickings for whoever happens to attack them first.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 05:07:05 PM

3) If you're trying to save up elixir, use troops that don't cost very much elixir (that usually means stay away from the big flashy guys), and make sure to attack only targets that you can pull more elixir from than you spend attacking them.  This is basic "conservation of stuff" logic.  You'll gradually develop a sense when looking at an enemy village what percentage of its loot you might be able to grab with your available troops.

Also you can queue up a few big ticket troops in excess of your actual camp capacity (but only up to your barracks capacity). The elixir for these is deducted but the units won't be built until there is space for them. So, before you go offline, add a few dragons (or angels or whatever your most expensive unit is) and those resources are locked up and unstealable. Just remember to unqueue them before you actually send your next attack.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 05:32:56 PM

For my part I've actually given up on trying to save elixir while I'm also saving gold -- it just makes me too tempting of a target, and all my upgrades cost upwards of 6mil now, so I have to bank up enough that I can be hit for 300k+ in one shot if someone steamrolls me.  For right now I'm in tower upgrade mode (banking up 6mil gold before spending it on a tower) and just spending all my elixir on dragons so that someone thinking about attacking me for my gold has to take a heavy loss in elixir.  I'll do the lab upgrades (last thing I have that needs elixir) while I'm upgrading walls so I'll be banking huge amounts of elixir but not huge amounts of gold.

So far it seems like this strategy is sound; my tower upgrades have been going MUCH faster.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 02, 2014, 12:23:47 PM

At about 1250+ trophies I was having an easier time finding targets with big exposed full pumps.  Got 250k on one attack and only spent maybe 20.. keeping trophies up that high is hard though as it's hard to win when you go in with 100 goblins.

Why don't you try our other games?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 02, 2014, 06:00:49 PM

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 03, 2014, 08:13:15 AM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 11:42:48 AM

Oh my god, that barbarian bit just about killed me.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 05, 2014, 06:24:44 AM

So, Clan Wars are coming.  FAQ is up here: http://forum.supercell.net/showthread.php/232849-Clan-Wars-FAQ

Maybe we should ask for a Clan Wars sub forum so we can better discuss/strategize?   why so serious?

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 05, 2014, 06:29:10 AM

Also, the 1 Gem mining boost sale is  awesome, for real.  Upgrading so much stuff!

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 05, 2014, 10:18:37 AM

Yah, the Clan Wars thingie changes my commitment to this game completely.  Much more compelling now.  The issue with the subforum though, is that you've only got 24hrs to strategize before the war starts, and certain members may be forced into spectator mode for balance.  Kinda tough to do anything meaningful in a forum unless you check alot; it's fairly on-the-fly.

I supposed it'd be worth it though.  Be like The West.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #48 on: April 07, 2014, 09:42:56 AM

Eh.  Thing I like about this game is being able to play at my own pace.  Adding a timed thing where you're letting the team down if you aren't catassing on your phone doesn't sound that appealing.  I'd try it once though.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 07, 2014, 11:58:45 AM

It doesn't really sound too much out of keeping with the regular flow of the game.  One day to set up your base for the war and the next day to do your 2 attacks.  Adds a bunch of strategery and teamwork things that this game needs imo.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 08, 2014, 08:14:19 AM

The in practice portion sounds mildly interesting. I'm kind of fuzzy on the warbase setup thing. The war base mirrors your village. But there's no resource gathering. So how do resource buildings factor in? If I don't have resources on the war map, I'd build a completely different layout. My town hall would be the juicy center instead of my storage.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 09, 2014, 06:22:58 AM

Update is going live today.  Prepare yourselves!

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 09, 2014, 12:22:54 PM

Android version downloading now.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 09, 2014, 02:51:18 PM

Looks like Farming layouts are out for me if we're gonna do this war thing all the time.  Apparently once you go into prep mode, it copies your base as-is and uses it for the war. 

Ah well, so I loose the first battle  awesome, for real

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #54 on: April 09, 2014, 03:04:24 PM

I think it takes the layout you have at the end of prep day.  I also have the farming layout and am just going to swap it around at the last minute.

Stupid system IMO, they should let you edit the war base separately, or at least let you "lock" your war base layout rather than having to time it.  The thing of keeping the loot in the clan castle is also annoying and also changes layout considerations.  Tying the two layouts together given the radically different defense mechanics makes no sense.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 09, 2014, 07:27:31 PM

There's no way in hell I'm breaking down my newly built village just for a 1-day war.  If they were going to implement that system, they could at least give us some kind of multiple "village save" option so we dont have to manually rebuild each time.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 09, 2014, 08:24:08 PM

So, what's the recommended layout? Is it "safe" to put the storage stuff outside the walls?? And what's this about the clan castle and loot? I don't want to be the derp.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: April 10, 2014, 10:37:11 AM

Too late!  awesome, for real

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #58 on: April 10, 2014, 11:52:08 AM

My timer shows 3 hours left on "prep day".  So keep fucking with your layouts if you don't like them.   awesome, for real

Being in full defensive mode (I swapped it over yesterday so I wouldn't wind up forgetting before the deadline) has lost me a lot of gold so far.  Unless the war loot payouts are huge I'm probably not gonna be too interested in doing another one of these things until they fix the layout stupid.  Luckily they were smart enough to make it completely opt-in.

On the bright side, I think our odds of winning are pretty good since it looks like our opponents don't even know to modify their layouts (that or they're very clever catasses and are waiting until the last possible instant).  The only one of them that would give me personally any trouble is their leader, and he's still got his town hall out in the corner.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:57:18 AM by Samwise »

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 10, 2014, 12:12:44 PM

The random picking of teams is why I suggested we might wanna boot our inactives, assuming we do this again. I'm talking people with no troop donations that we haven't heard from since they joined. I don't know if any of these folks are even still playing at all.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #60 on: April 10, 2014, 12:24:20 PM

Even of the people that are actually playing I'd guess it's a minority who are interested in doing this thing -- it'd probably be better to split off and start a new clan that's a bit more focused on that playstyle.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 10, 2014, 01:12:45 PM

It seems like I might be in spectator mode which is weird because the lowest trophy counts are supposed to be the spectators... well I'm training an all dragon force to smash someone.  it'll suck if I can't.

And yea it is super annoying to not be able to lock your base and go back to normal without having to worry about the deadline.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #62 on: April 10, 2014, 02:15:32 PM

Getting the "good" army ready.  Not really cost effective for looting, but when going for total annihilation it's hard to beat hogwizards.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #63 on: April 10, 2014, 04:31:24 PM

Now we've been stuck in "0s preparation day" limbo (apparently a common bug) for hours and I'm just waiting around with my expensive army.  I knew it was a mistake being an early adopter of a new feature.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: April 10, 2014, 05:55:47 PM

On Battle Day now, but can't attack or scout it seems.

- Viin
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #65 on: April 10, 2014, 07:11:35 PM

Meh, I am castle clashing. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 10, 2014, 08:48:13 PM

Warning:  supposedly if you 'scout' on the war map, it lags out the game.  To fix you must do a hard reset (exit the game and close it in background mgr).  So for this first cycle, best to just go in blind w/o scouting.  We should win as long as the other team doesnt realize the fix in time.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: April 10, 2014, 11:47:48 PM

addendum:  use 'replay' in lieu of scout if someone has attked already

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: April 11, 2014, 12:19:54 AM

Looks pretty even so far.

We have 24 stars, 15 of 40 attacks played (1.6 stars per attack), they have 11 stars from 8 (1.375 SpA).

This could well be decided by who gets more of their 40 games in.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: April 11, 2014, 10:30:42 AM

yea I think that's what is going to decide it.  If we were going to do this again I'd recommend everyone with TH7 get a l9 barracks asap and just attack with all dragons and heal spells.  Anything TH7 will get crushed easy.

9 drags and 1 healer should be unstoppable.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:32:40 AM by grebo »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans  
Jump to: