Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:45:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clash of Clans  (Read 169699 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: September 14, 2012, 08:51:00 AM

Clash of Clans

iOS PvP tower defense/attack game.  You build a village, try to optimize its defensive layout, build troops, and then attack other villages to try to steal their shit.

I was worried it'd be a hardcore game where you lose months of work when you fuck up, but attacks never actually damage your town, just your troops and resources, which are easy to regain.  And the game doesn't let you target specific players, nor does it let anyone get plundered multiple times a day.

Troops can't be controlled directly; you pick where to deploy them and then they do their thing.  A big part of the game is therefore trying to manipulate the troop AI -- build defensive patterns that will funnel them to their deaths, etc.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 05:38:43 PM

Picked this up and having fun.  Great for casual tablet play.

have not gotten to point of joining clans.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 05:15:01 PM

If your clan is well ranked (judged by the scores of the members) you get credits dispensed every ranking period.

Some friends played this obsessively for a while. I'm glad to be done with it. Takes a lot of repetitive time.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 07:37:47 AM

If your clan is well ranked (judged by the scores of the members) you get credits dispensed every ranking period.

Some friends played this obsessively for a while. I'm glad to be done with it. Takes a lot of repetitive time.

I've been playing this a lot for work related purposes. There is a new game by the same developers called Boom Beach. It's a lot more engaging than CoC while retaining the same core loop. I think it's only available in the Canadian app store for now but expect it to be wheeled out globally soon.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 04:05:23 PM

I've been having fun. I'll probably try and find Bat Country here soon.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 07:02:04 PM

I've been having fun. I'll probably try and find Bat Country here soon.

dont think we have one.  Castle clash was game I made one on.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 12:15:34 PM

Derp.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 12:31:48 PM

I have created Bat Country. Flag is purple with a black eagle. Anyone can join. Except Schild.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 01:10:26 PM

What the hell, I loaded this back on ze tablet.  Just joined, need a break for a few days from castle clash.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 03:59:38 PM

Marching towards th6.  Can get to gold tourney, but its getting hard to do more then 20 to 30% on bases. 

Mainly been doing barb zerg rushes; gonna play with gobs and other tactics until th finishes.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 04:03:20 PM

Just did a remodel on the base - hopefully it makes my base a less-enticing target

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 01:33:36 PM

We need more peoples.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 09:44:52 PM

I almost made a Bat Country back when I started playing this but didn't because there were already like 10 of them, which would make it problematic to find the "right" one.  My clan is "Cacophonists" and I have lots of upgraded troops to donate.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 12:43:44 AM

We got four or five folks in our Bat Country. You're welcome to pop over. Fairly active we are. /yoda

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 04:36:47 AM

Finally put some time into this game.  Upgrading my Town Hall to 4 today, and I should be able to rebuild the clan hall after that.

Also, I made it into Bronze 3  awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 10:37:09 AM

Started futzing around with this on the tablet, for something to do while at work. Progress seems a bit slow and it feels a bit farmvilley to me, but the combat/defense mechanics are at least interesting. I don't think I'm allowed to join a clan yet, though, but I will seek out BC once I can. Are clans OS specific or will I be able to play with you Apple guys on my Android?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 02:28:24 PM

I'm on android bro. Seek us out, I don't think you need clan castle. Just to house reinforcement troops. Could be wrong. Still. Come find us. :D

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 03:05:54 PM

I found the clan, but I don't know how to join it. There is no button, despite it saying anyone can join.

Edit: Just realized you can build more than one of each resource production and storage facility. That speeds things up considerably.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:56:27 PM by Rendakor »

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 07:37:26 PM

You have to rebuild the clan hall building that you'll find somewhere on your land plot in ruins.  Takes about 40k elixir or something to do.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 07:57:14 PM

Yea, that's what I thought.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 10:42:47 AM

Alrighty. We'll see ya when you get that then.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 10:48:12 AM

There's 2 of me. One is my Son who got me into the game and wanted to follow dad around. I didn't realize he was using my name on the iPad when he joined up this morning.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 01:15:17 PM

How much will we have to behave ourselves in clan chat now? awesome, for real

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 09:45:46 AM

Looks like you've been behaving as it is. You adult, you.  awesome, for real

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 01:14:33 PM

I'm stuck in the low to mid 800s in the ladder.  I need more force to overcome the people that are higher, but it's hard to find lower people that actually have resources to plunder.

#firstworldproblems   why so serious?

Anywho, still having a good time with this. Almost maxed out everything I can do with a lvl 4 Townhall, save for making the jump to lvl 5.  Really appreciate the troop contributions from everyone, and I hope mine are helpful as well.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 01:36:13 PM

If you're maxed out where you are, you need to either pay the people or just farm up time wise.

My buddy recommended putting your town hall outside your walls. Losing the town hall ends the fight sooner, giving them less chance to get into your storage bins to really pillage. Granted, you are going to lose trophies this way but it keeps the shield up as much as possible.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 03:08:00 PM

I don't really have a problem there.  The only time I'm loosing defenses at this point is to people with

A) a shit-ton of forces
B) a small ton of highly laboratory reseached forces
C) Tons of flying

Tier 4 walls are holding up well.  I already have plans for tier 5 for superior  awesome, for real

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 22, 2014, 07:17:36 PM

Is it worth doing all of the PVE battles or should I start attacking players? I've done a few PVP battles but never gotten a decent amount of cash out of it. I'm also not sure if I have a decent base layout or not; I've only been attacked twice and won both times so I guess I'm doing something right.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 22, 2014, 08:55:55 PM

Does putting stuff in a corner even work? I haven't seen anyone else do that at the silver levels, so I assumed you are required to have walls all around.

- Viin
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 22, 2014, 09:14:49 PM

No idea; I didn't think they could walk around walls on the edges.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #30 on: February 22, 2014, 09:20:39 PM

I had the same thought and researched it.  People can place troops on the grass border, so sticking it in the corner doesn't help.

http://clashofclans.wikia.com/wiki/Dokugan%27s_Strategy_Guide

The PvE battles are good to start with, but I found that after the first 6 or 7 I was needing to build my base up to levels that it was easier just to stomp around the bronze III level and farm them instead.  You lose your shield eventually anyway, so may as well jump in once that happens.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 22, 2014, 09:26:32 PM

Damn, alright. Thanks for that, guess I've gotta redesign mine.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #32 on: February 22, 2014, 09:33:45 PM

Putting valuable stuff in the corner is the classic noob mistake that everyone makes until they watch one of their defense replays.   awesome, for real

The PvE battles are definitely worth doing, but since each one gives you a finite amount of loot it's more cost-effective to do them when you have a strong enough army that you can three-star them on your first try.  While they last they also give you a nice "safe" loot source for when you're trying to save up for something big and don't want to break your shield.

No reason to hold off on doing PvP.  At the low levels it's actually at its most rewarding, because at the bottom of the food chain you have a lot of fat newbies who either don't know how to defend their loot or who quit playing after a few days and left their mines to run endlessly until someone comes along to empty them.

Here's my village layout BTW:

Note that I'm currently doing the (mostly) unprotected town hall cheese because I'm trying to save up goop for upgrades, and that's easier when people aren't rolling over my entire village with hog riders every day.  Once I spend down my goop vats I'll swap the town hall back with the laboratory in the middle so I can build up trophies (which is useful insofar as it gives you a better loot bonus when attacking).  Right now I'm spending my gold on wall upgrades as fast as I get it (upgrading the level 7 purple walls to level 8 black walls at 500k a pop -- almost done!).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:40:36 PM by Samwise »

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 27, 2014, 04:48:39 PM

Been playing for a bit, still very active.  Requested to join, name of Hgmvhf.  Tried to join the clan thing but got declined.

Why don't you try our other games?
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 04:52:19 PM

Boom Beach got a worldwide release yesterday btw.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of Clans  
Jump to: