Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:05:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Hunter S. Thompson. Dead at 67. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hunter S. Thompson. Dead at 67.  (Read 18050 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #70 on: February 25, 2005, 11:43:04 AM

Hey, I'm not going to look down on anyone for killing themself, but doing it while your son, his wife, and your grandkid are home, and while you're on the phone with your wife?

You sir, are a douchebag of the first order and I hope you rot in hell.

While I won't agree with the rot in hell part, I would agree that was a bit of a douchebag move. HST was never noted for not being an asshole, though.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: February 25, 2005, 12:32:03 PM

His description of how to pull over when a cop turns on his lights behind you is worth the read of Fear and Loathing.

Train Wreck
Contributor

Reply #72 on: February 25, 2005, 01:53:21 PM

I've never heard of him before, but that column was genius.  It reminds me of OMM and SB.
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: February 25, 2005, 02:01:43 PM

Sad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #74 on: February 25, 2005, 02:04:23 PM

His description of how to pull over when a cop turns on his lights behind you is worth the read of Fear and Loathing.
I first saw, what I presume to be that quote, on the forum index of this site (Magic: The Gathering Online description). I kept reading it over and over because I liked it, the other quotes too.  I meant to go find a copy back then but an English major friend of mine talked me out of it.

I think I'll try to find a copy on the way home tonight, but it seems a bit ghoulish now.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: February 25, 2005, 02:23:59 PM

Yea that's the start of it. He also talks about putting the tire pressure up to something like 65 for a nice ride.....

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #76 on: February 25, 2005, 02:41:56 PM

Yea that's the start of it. He also talks about putting the tire pressure up to something like 65 for a nice ride.....

A nice ride on what, bare rims?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: February 25, 2005, 02:49:27 PM

Oh - like you've never abused a rental car?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #78 on: February 25, 2005, 02:51:23 PM

I love rental cars.  They are the fastest cars in the world.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Strazos

Reply #79 on: February 25, 2005, 03:30:56 PM

Oh - like you've never abused a rental car?

Nope, me < 23 (rental age in NJ).

I don't really know of anyone who rents the kind of cars that fit my tastes....econoboxes make me ill.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: February 25, 2005, 04:18:02 PM

I don't really know of anyone who rents the kind of cars that fit my tastes....econoboxes make me ill.

Alamo, my friend.  All leather interior, kickin' sound system.  Life is good.

Although, I have made my best time ever from Colorado to Michigan in of all things, a Ryder truck.  18 hours flat out, I kept the gas to the floor the whole time, only stopped for gas, and pissed in bottles to make my time.  Also, the governor on those things will only let you go 90 mph, but I kept it pegged at that the whole time.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #81 on: February 25, 2005, 04:40:11 PM

Hey, I'm not going to look down on anyone for killing themself, but doing it while your son, his wife, and your grandkid are home, and while you're on the phone with your wife?

You sir, are a douchebag of the first order and I hope you rot in hell.

Doesn't seem like they minded all that much.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Strazos

Reply #82 on: February 25, 2005, 04:52:11 PM

Doesn't seem like they minded all that much.

That is just bizarre.

http://www.alamo.com/fleet.do?countryId=US Big bag of no thanks.

Hertz carries Mustangs, though usually not in GT trim.

I'm really picky with cars.

Fear the Backstab!
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: February 25, 2005, 05:51:40 PM

http://www.alamo.com/fleet.do?countryId=US Big bag of no thanks.

Hertz carries Mustangs, though usually not in GT trim.

I'm really picky with cars.

It's a fucking rental car.  What, you were looking for something to pimp in?

Jesus Christ, it's a conveyance that you rent to get you from A to B while you trash it because it's not yours.
Strazos

Reply #84 on: February 25, 2005, 07:44:07 PM

[It's a fucking rental car.  What, you were looking for something to pimp in?

Jesus Christ, it's a conveyance that you rent to get you from A to B while you trash it because it's not yours.

Silly rabbit, pimping's for kids.

But anyway, for most people driving is just a hum-drum activity, akin to simple walking. But for other people, it's something a lot more....fun, for one. And I don't mean trashing it....more like driving with style, precision, power, and awareness.

Sure, I could drive a Seabring or Focus....but higher amount of power and handling tolerances mean a higher degree of fun...and I hate driving when it's not fun.

Fear the Backstab!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #85 on: February 25, 2005, 08:09:39 PM

EDIT: Forget it. This one is pretty hopeless....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 08:11:33 PM by Stray »
Strazos

Reply #86 on: February 25, 2005, 09:07:19 PM

Bleh, I went through the trouble to look up the spelling of Nurburgring, found something really interesting....then come back and see you edited your post...

Bah.

Fear the Backstab!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #87 on: February 25, 2005, 10:09:00 PM

Nurburgring

Sorry  undecided

Now I'll never know what I missed.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: February 25, 2005, 10:17:42 PM

Silly rabbit, pimping's for kids.

But anyway, for most people driving is just a hum-drum activity, akin to simple walking. But for other people, it's something a lot more....fun, for one. And I don't mean trashing it....more like driving with style, precision, power, and awareness.

Sure, I could drive a Seabring or Focus....but higher amount of power and handling tolerances mean a higher degree of fun...and I hate driving when it's not fun.

Just out of curiousity, what kind of car(s) do you own?

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: February 25, 2005, 11:54:08 PM

I have to agree with Strazos on this one, if only because driving is my meditation. I love driving. And not just puttin down the road, but pushing the vehicle to its threshold of "OHFUCKIMGONNADIE".

Amazingly enough, I only get tickets for the small stuff. It's really hard to not laugh and say, " You think I was goin fast here, you shoulda caught me three miles back! Want a beer?"

So yeah, the Geos and econo cars...aren't cuttin it. Unless you're shooting for hang time.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #90 on: February 26, 2005, 03:12:45 AM

Hey, I love driving too. But like Big Gulp said: It's just a rental car.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #91 on: February 26, 2005, 05:53:40 AM

Driving on roads in Britain and other bits of Europe (NOT Switzerland) = fun.

Driving on roads in the US = not so much.

Driving on a circuit at 200 MPH = fun anywhere.

Of course, Righ is the one who took fast driving lessons from people who race so I always get to be the passenger... but it's still a hoot!

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: February 26, 2005, 08:15:40 AM

Driving in Paris was the most fun I've had, ever. Seemed like it was one big open road course. Sure there were lines painted on the road, but nobody paid attention to em. Traffic just FLOWED. It was beautiful. Didn't see any wrecks, but then it seemed like people were paying more attention to what was going on than your average American trying to eat a burger and talk on the phone while looking for that quarter that just rolled under the seat.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #93 on: February 28, 2005, 08:21:45 AM

I believe that this is the sort of car rental that Strazos is looking for. Time for that UK vacation.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #94 on: February 28, 2005, 08:33:06 AM

ASPEN, Colo. (AP) - The family of writer Hunter S. Thompson is looking for a cannon to blast his remains skyward, honoring a wish he often expressed.

Anyone wishing to provide the cannon is asked to write a 100-word essay and mail it to the Aspen Daily News, which will pass the entries on to Thompson's family.

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=54e539c0-0abe-421a-01df-64cbbddb4bb0&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

I'm sure if someone from f13.net actually won the contest it would be an excuse for Schild to buy an f13.net canon, and then just imagine the possibilities!

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #95 on: February 28, 2005, 08:43:34 AM

Ookii foobarred the thread!  Off to the Den with him!

Oh wait....

Strazos

Reply #96 on: February 28, 2005, 01:13:06 PM

I believe that this is the sort of car rental that Strazos is looking for. Time for that UK vacation.

At those rates, my vacation would span about 1 day....but OMGWTFBBQFTW sweet nonetheless.

Fear the Backstab!
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: February 28, 2005, 01:17:46 PM

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/state/article/0,1299,DRMN_21_3575306,00.html
Anita Thompson does not know why Hunter Thompson chose the .45 from his vast collection of guns. But he was deft with his death. "He did not destroy his face," Anita Thompson says. "He did it in his mouth. His face was beautiful. It was quick. It was not grisly or gruesome by any means. That's probably why he took that gun. He spared us a gruesome scene."

The guy shot him self in the mouth with a .45. Isn't that a pretty big caliber gun? Wouldn't it make a pretty nasty mess of the back of his head? How could that not be considered grisly or gruesome? Bleh...
Strazos

Reply #98 on: February 28, 2005, 02:21:27 PM

A real man would have used a .50 Magnum, or Desert Eagle or somesuch.

Fear the Backstab!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #99 on: February 28, 2005, 02:24:33 PM

"A real man" would be having a closed casket.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #100 on: February 28, 2005, 05:55:27 PM

He's getting shot from a cannon posthumously. I don't think you can beat that.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #101 on: February 28, 2005, 09:23:04 PM

He's getting shot from a cannon posthumously. I don't think you can beat that.

Be careful with the ashes.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: March 01, 2005, 05:49:24 AM

He used a .45 for chrissakes.
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: March 01, 2005, 01:16:11 PM

Quote from: MaceVanHoffen
I enjoyed Fear and Loathing immensely ... I think the book works as pure entertainment:  a window into the world of heavy, psychadelic drug use for those of us who have no experience with that world.

Interesting. I read FALILV for a New Journalism class in college (the early '90s), and thought it had its moments, but that I was probably too young and the wrong generation to fully grok it. I skipped the pages that were little more than laundry lists of drugs. I'm also someone who has never dabbled in psychedelia, and I always thought you had to know the experience of drug binging to really "get" FALILV. But your post states the opposite.

Um, never mind.
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: March 01, 2005, 01:28:37 PM

Quote from: MaceVanHoffen
I enjoyed Fear and Loathing immensely ... I think the book works as pure entertainment:  a window into the world of heavy, psychadelic drug use for those of us who have no experience with that world.

Interesting. I read FALILV for a New Journalism class in college (the early '90s), and thought it had its moments, but that I was probably too young and the wrong generation to fully grok it. I skipped the pages that were little more than laundry lists of drugs. I'm also someone who has never dabbled in psychedelia, and I always thought you had to know the experience of drug binging to really "get" FALILV. But your post states the opposite.

Well, I read and love Philip K. Dick too, and not just the mainstream stuff.  My enjoyment of HST's work is consistent with my strangeness.  On some level, I'm probably a drug voyeur.  Plus, I have to admit that some of my enjoyment of HST comes from the fact that I find his political writings to be brilliant.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Hunter S. Thompson. Dead at 67.  
Jump to: