Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:44:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Why would I play this? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why would I play this?  (Read 19300 times)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 05, 2012, 05:59:38 PM

This game encourages grouping, it's just implicit rather than explicit. Until you get to dungeons and PvP.

Maybe it's just I'm addicted to achievements.

That's a good thing because it looks like that's the end-game in most ways. Getting 100% map completion, getting all the dyes, two crafts to 400, all the titles and achievements will give the game it's longevity. It will be interesting to see if the bulk of the player-base decides they are all cosmetic and just skips them. But I think they've worked out that what many players want is a goal and recognition of achievement even if it doesn't give them character power.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36 on: September 05, 2012, 06:21:42 PM

ArenaNet "running out" of keys is making me want this more.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #37 on: September 05, 2012, 06:54:15 PM

You know, it's funny, I'm not a huge achievement hunter. But for whatever reason, GW2 makes me want to actually go out of my way to complete maps and shit (and it isn't because of the reward you get when you finish a zone, because I still have yet to get a thing I actually want to use from it <3).

God Save the Horn Players
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38 on: September 05, 2012, 07:07:23 PM

Went into an underground area while exploring, a few people were getting slaughtered at the entrance, so I just went on through (with my guardian). Met a guy who kept dying in a ways, so I helped him out a bit. He offered to group, and we cleaned the place out, got a couple chests, a skill challenge and a couple hits on a rich vein. Explored an underwater tunnel that led to the surface, waved and went our separate ways.

That's organic grouping right there.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #39 on: September 05, 2012, 07:43:01 PM

This game encourages grouping, it's just implicit rather than explicit. Until you get to dungeons and PvP.

I don't feel encouraged to group. I don't feel *discouraged* from jumping in to help someone, but if there's an advantage to actually grouping other than getting a chat line, I'm not aware of it. Grouping didn't seem to change my event contribution for the better, or give me any xp for mobs I didn't hit personally.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 08:27:37 PM

So I hit 80 a couple days ago and I'm at a loss at what is fun at endgame.  WvW is the only thing that I log in to do now. 
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 08:58:17 PM

So I hit 80 a couple days ago and I'm at a loss at what is fun at endgame.  WvW is the only thing that I log in to do now. 

You could wash the poop out of your sock!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 05, 2012, 09:01:56 PM

I blame unemployment.  Crafting makes leveling pretty fast though.  I actually went from 78 to 80 in an hour of crafting.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 10:11:41 PM

It had the opposite effect on me. I opened up the website tonight planning on buying it after a friend spent all day talking it up only to find that they were "sold out" of keys and my only options were to buy the expensive CE or find it in a B&M store.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Instead of $60, they'll get nothing. I'll reconsider in a few months if MoP and the Rift expansion are flops.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #44 on: September 05, 2012, 10:53:30 PM

I almost did the same thing until I saw amazon was selling the digital copy.  Started playing a few hours later.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 05, 2012, 11:08:17 PM

I almost did the same thing until I saw amazon was selling the digital copy.  Started playing a few hours later.

Most places are only selling the CE at this point, but it looks like Bestbuy.com still has product keys for the regular download. We'll see.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #46 on: September 05, 2012, 11:42:41 PM

I don't feel encouraged to group.
I like the dots on the map, helps cohesion when doing difficult areas of the map with a couple other people.
Instead of $60, they'll get nothing.
Hurray for rhinoplasty!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 11:44:13 PM by Sky »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: September 05, 2012, 11:52:15 PM

It had the opposite effect on me. I opened up the website tonight planning on buying it after a friend spent all day talking it up only to find that they were "sold out" of keys and my only options were to buy the expensive CE or find it in a B&M store.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Instead of $60, they'll get nothing. I'll reconsider in a few months if MoP and the Rift expansion are flops.

They aren't "sold out". They stopped selling because of crowding problems. I'm sure they would love to be selling digital keys right now, this isn't a decision anyone makes as a marketing decision.

Genev
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 06, 2012, 05:13:51 AM

Met my first "rude" person today.... A Guardian laughing at me because my damage is so low :p
(It's not, it just wasnt as high as his)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #49 on: September 06, 2012, 05:55:15 AM

Met my first "rude" person today.... A Guardian laughing at me because my damage is so low :p
(It's not, it just wasnt as high as his)

Black list him/her.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 06, 2012, 06:28:08 AM

Report him/her for "offensive" name in a foreign language.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 06, 2012, 07:49:51 AM

I don't feel encouraged to group.
I like the dots on the map, helps cohesion when doing difficult areas of the map with a couple other people.

The different coloured names helps me a LOT too. I find when there's a large group of players it's almost impossible to tell what is what, except for my own group members.

I am having major problems with the colours. It's amazing how many times I've dodged out of a beneficial AoE because I saw the circle appear on the ground and didn't know what colour it was.

And let me turn on my name and guild over my head! It's such a small thing but it bothers me that I can't see my name and guild tag on my own character.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 06, 2012, 08:12:15 AM

They aren't "sold out". They stopped selling because of crowding problems. I'm sure they would love to be selling digital keys right now, this isn't a decision anyone makes as a marketing decision.

Hence the quotes. I can understand a third party like Steam running out of keys, but not the developer of an MMO. Regardless, that's how they frame the situation when you visit their website to buy the game.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: September 06, 2012, 10:08:46 PM

Blizzard hadn't "run out" of boxed copies of WoW at the beginning of 2005 when they put a halt to U.S. sales either. But that halt allowed them to keep their existing customers playing while they addressed the capacity issues and added more to the word of mouth creating a buzz.

That is not to say GW2 is going to have anywhere near the success or longevity of WoW, but it is not a totally bad thing to have them put the brakes on while they fix their issues.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: September 07, 2012, 12:40:43 AM

And let me turn on my name and guild over my head! It's such a small thing but it bothers me that I can't see my name and guild tag on my own character.

You know, this bugs the hell out of me too. I like to see my name, guild and title over my character's head. Why do I not have that option?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #55 on: September 07, 2012, 12:45:35 AM

I wish you could see guild NAMES rather than just tags.  Heartbreak

God Save the Horn Players
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 07, 2012, 01:48:11 AM

I wish you could see titles above/below names too, COH-style.

Mostly because I want to show off my Closer to the Stars title, dammit. :p

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 07, 2012, 01:18:21 PM

Yeah I don't really understand the point of a title if it isn't going to be displayed.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: Why would I play this?  
Jump to: